• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman Season 4 |OT| Fuck Man, What Else Is There To Say

M3nkU_a_9Z1BQgpa2vjP6aoxJRq9ciOc_R7SQNKo6Dx6EDHk83tKzHkZScFTm8UdYeaZVF0SffYz63bFYVq2a4Rn3Gu4aY3si8FD7mQsTYDs8JeTa5CjqV7lQ8Yx1Bi1qkASToXb

thebeeks

Banned
The rose-tinted glasses line from S2E10 is still one of the best lines I've ever heard in a TV show. That shit hit me hard.

Dude yes I think about that quote an awful lot. I'd love to see what Wanda's up to. Didn't Pinky say she went to work at another network?

Maybe we can see her in SEASON FIVE WOOOOOO!

PSqueak

Banned
When Diane tells Katrina that Mr. Peanutbutter is dropping out she goes "Bye, Cruella!"and it made me think that 101 Dalmatians must be a very different movie in this universe.

Hah yeah, even if they use non sapient dalmatians (as we know there are non sapient animals) they'd still be anthropomorphic.

SRG01

I hope the next season
involves Bojack meeting Henrietta, especially since the animators mentioned that they had fully drawn her and everything, but settled on a scribbled out face instead. Could also provide some catharsis in regards to his father too.

RaidenZR

This is the best news of the day! Can't believe they already have the first episode ready to go so quickly! Good on them! Will be cool to see where they go with
Bojack Big Brother

Maybe season 2 with the "it gets easier" ending, but the events of S2E11 completely override that imo.

This is the only season where BoJack doesn't up in a worse place than he was at the beginning. I think above all, he needs his friends in order to function, and he's going to have to earn those friendships back. Which is why it's important that he has a relationship with Hollyhock. Todd hasn't completely shut the door on him, and he'll at least have a working relationship with PC again. It'll be interesting to see how he fits into Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter's lives, especially with their marital troubles.
Bojack doesnt need friends to function, he needs a model of self love.

His family was shit, now he has a chance of having a nonshit family so he can follow a roadmap of what its like to be better.

Bojack needs to be self sufficient

I think season really is about being able to move on. Time's arrow marches only forward. It also shows what happens when you dwell too much. From going on a binge(PC), disapearing for a year deteriorating relationships(Bojack), to just stewing in your own miserableness for your entire life(Bojack's mom).
The hopeful message at the end seemed to say that things wont always work out the way you want, but they can still work out. You have to be able to accept the reality of it though.

But Time isnt linear. Its a perception we have in our memories at most.

I'd say the season was about letting go and not allowing our pasts to define our current existence.

I'm gobsmacked that one of the most touchingly human shows I've ever seen is a comedy cartoon with a cast of animal people. I literally shed tears at the finale. The build-up and deterioration of relationships is done so meticulously in this show, whether it's Diane and MrPB drifting apart or Bojack and Hollyhock slowly building their bond together. You rarely, ever, ever see it done that fucking well.

It was my favorite season so far which is saying a lot; in particular the episode that illustrates depression so amazingly, where you can hear Bojack's inner monologue that he is constantly trying to shake off. Absolutely bracing and painful to watch.

Todd was kind of a miss for me, though; he needed a partner in crime to bounce off of. And I think it would've been funnier if the conclusion to the clown story was that one of them gets recognized by a gentle, educated, normal person who knew them as a dentist and is now meeting a feral homicidal clown. To be honest, I think they designed Todd to be the funny ying to Bojack's angry yang and with them apart, Todd was just a random singularity that drifted around.

In general the show has always been stronger dramatically than comedically, for me, and that was never truer than now. The comedy lands solidly in the "sensible chuckle" column and acts like a light salve that makes the pain and darkness of the narratives burn a little less.

Todd's personality is "LETS HELP EVERYBODY"

S2ep11 is seriously hard to watch, Im always dead silent when it ends
The slow and gradual unravelling of things towards the end of the episode that just makes you want to look away, I'd forgotten that he also tried it on with Charlotte.

The rose-tinted glasses line from S2E10 is still one of the best lines I've ever heard in a TV show. That shit hit me hard.
I'm already reeling from that line then they have her turning up weepy at her sister's place, my heart!

This is the best news of the day! Can't believe they already have the first episode ready to go so quickly! Good on them! Will be cool to see where they go with
Bojack Big Brother

I'm ready for
Brojack Horseman

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I finished the season a few days ago and I have to say that almost nothing about it worked for me. The character beats felt repetitive and the humor was oddly clumsy (nowhere near as clever or funny as in previous seasons).

There were maybe two episodes where I thought the good outweighed the lazy/mediocre - episodes 9 and 11.

It was easily the weakest season overall for me. Hope they can get things back on track with season 5.

Tuck

Just finished the season (and well, the show - started maybe a week and a half ago). That was amazing. So glad I powered through the first six episodes.

The whole gradual reveal with Bojack's mom this season was flawless. From his lowest point at the end of last season, he really came a long way, though still has more to go. I'm glad this season wasn't just "Boack's a self-destructive piece of shit part 4"

Todd remains the best character, and him being asexual was surprising and well done. Thought for sure he was gay.

I liked seeing Princess Carolyn happy. I hope they don't knock her down for too long.

The one big issue I had was Diane - she has gotten really repetitive and not fun to watch. Clearly, she's miserable, and kind of insufferable, getting mad at the slightest thing Mr Peanutbutter does, again and again and again. I feel like this season they just spun their wheels with regards to her. Hopefully next season they can do more to progress their relationship, or end it outright.

I think episode 11 might just have been the best episode of the series. It's a really fantastic episode with great concept and fantastic execution. It's pretty much spotless and thoroughly chilling. The way it approached dementia (skipping around time, blurred faces, items in the background popping in and out of existence) was incredible.

Agreed 100%, loved everything about it. Really well directed.

This season was so amazing. I had re-watched S1-3 before watching S4. The ending
that is so wonderfully optimistic for Bojack made me tear up happily
I remember thinking in the first few episodes when this came out thinking it was a dumb little silly show with talking animals and clever but somewhat cheap humor... and now it's one of the best television shows I've seen.

MC Safety

Todd remains the best character, and him being asexual was surprising and well done. .

I didn't think it fit considering he pursued Hayako in the first season. Maybe it works because it was long distance and obviously a con, but then why'd he bother?

PixelatedBookake

His family was shit, now he has a chance of having a nonshit family so he can follow a roadmap of what its like to be better.

Yeah if anything Bojack's friends make him a worse person lmaoooo

I hope the next season
involves Bojack meeting Henrietta, especially since the animators mentioned that they had fully drawn her and everything, but settled on a scribbled out face instead. Could also provide some catharsis in regards to his father too.

Yeah, why did they do that? Indecisiveness? Timidity? Or was it done as an artistic flourish?

I hope I never get cynical enough about stuff that I love that I worry that the people responsible for the magic I fell in love with don't have what it takes to be true to their vision
Wouldn't you rather have a series end while its still good rather than it peter out into a pitiful existence?

Wouldn't you rather have a series end while its still good rather than it peter out into a pitiful existence?

Wouldn't you rather have 20 seasons of greatness? It's a 50/50 shot, but if you hope for the worst, you'll never get the best.

This isn't The Simpsons where it's a show run by people who are barely involved and swap out showrunners every few years.

If Waskberg and Hanawalt have more Bojack stories to tell, you're actually going to get in front of them and stop them because you think you know better about their capabilities?

Think about what you're actually saying, dude, because that is what you are actually saying.

I love this show but kind of hate Todd as a character (the asexual bit was nice and well done but his general stupidity and Aaron Paul's annoying voice don't help him, along with what I see as bad writing when it comes to his general plotline)

Wouldn't you rather have 20 seasons of greatness? It's a 50/50 shot, but if you hope for the worst, you'll never get the best.

This isn't The Simpsons where it's a show run by people who are barely involved and swap out showrunners every few years.

If Waskberg and Hanawalt have more Bojack stories to tell, you're actually going to get in front of them and stop them because you think you know better about their capabilities?

Think about what you're actually saying, dude, because that is what you are actually saying.
Yeah, even if we wind up with the show ending on a shitty season or two, I'd hate to prematurely end the show on some arbitrary count of seasons (5...?)

How many seasons does this show have in it? It's always easy for outsiders to make this type of judgment call, but Simpsons was great.... and then it wasn't. I certainly don't want that to happen to Bojack Horseman though, but I really love what it's managed to do thus far. This is the first wave of Netflix Original Series, so there's no frame of reference to draw from in determining when this show will end. The showrunner has spoken well of the Simpsons, giving it its due, but came short of actually condemning the current run of the show. I have to assume that he doesn't want his show to become what Simpsons has become.

CassSept

I hope I never get cynical enough about stuff that I love that I worry that the people responsible for the magic I fell in love with don't have what it takes to be true to their vision

It's really hard to imagine the show running for many more seasons and maintain the quality it is known for. Every concept has it's limits and eventually you start treading water, sometimes it happens sooner, sometimes it happens later.

E: That said, season 5 is certainly a necessity and with the current state of the show would make a nice ending point. After season 3 it definitely felt like 5 would be a great finish line, unravel the mess at the end of season 3 and expand the characters in season 4, then tie the story up in season 5.

MC Safety

They say it in this season. He's asexual, not aromantic. He still pursues relationships, just not sexual ones.

I don't buy it. Hayako is someone Todd wears half a suit for. I don't think he'd even consider it if there wasn't some intent or desire.

It's clear the asexual thing was tacked on for the third and fourth season. I'm fine with that, but in the first season he seems actively interested in a woman.

I don't buy it. Hayako is someone Todd wears half a suit for. I don't think he'd even consider it if there wasn't some intent or desire.

It's clear the asexual thing was tacked on for the third and fourth season. I'm fine with that, but in the first season he seems actively interested in a woman.

So what, you think he'd only want to look good to sleep with her, and not simply to impress her? I don't get how the suit factors in at all.

thebeeks

Banned
So what, you think he'd only want to look good to sleep with her, and not simply to impress her? I don't get how the suit factors in at all.

Agreed. His suit and his "In America I'm considered very handsome" line doesn't imply he's trying to have sex with her. He's just trying to come off as impressive.

Did the writers have Todd's asexuality planned from the beginning? Unsure, but I haven't seen anything from the first two seasons that disproves it.

It's really strange to me to see fans here say "well, hope there's only one more season left." like they have been since season 3 premiered. I 100% trust that Raphael Bob-Waksberg and company will end the show on its own terms when there is no more story to tell. The show and its creative staff have clearly earned their stripes and I'm not sure why this kind of fan doubt exists in light of that.

I've seriously never understood this. For any form of media.

Make as many of the thing as you like, and end it when you're good and ready. I'm gonna consume it all in the meantime (or until I stop enjoying it, but I'm certainly not sitting around waiting for the moment that I don't like it anymore).

See quote below

Yeah, not gonna lie, it's starting to feel routine.

This is how I feel.
Bojack doesn't have the kind of plot that will keep people interested for 20 seasons.
The Simpson's barely have any continuity in it. Same with South Park. Additionally, people jumping into a series 20 seasons long are gonna feel overwhelmed especially since this is a show that emotionally wrecks people.

Also its not a 50/50 shot. The longer a show runs, the more likely ita going to end up being shite. Name 3 shows that has ran longer than 6 seasons that was consistently good.
Plus, I keep saying this, Bojack would become a parody of itself if it just ran as long as it could. Netflix has no reason to keep Bojack running much longer. Its service doesnt run on ad revenue. They make money from subscribers.
The best thing that could happen is the show wraps up soon and they make a spinoff series. That is the best decision they could make if they wanted to continue.

And I want it to be known that I believe Bojack is the best thing to happen to TV in a long time.

Mauddib

Banned
What an absolutely incredible (and heart breaking) ride this season was.

I'm trying to get my friends into the show. Unfortunately the first half of the first season isn't very indicatives of the remaining 3.5 seasons. Has anyone else experience this? A bunch of my friends have tried the first few episodes but couldn't justify sticking with it.

At least for me, it's starting to get a little tiring of seeing characters go up and down and up and down over and over. I would like them to find a way to close their stories without having to blow everything open at the end of the season again. I wasnt a huge fan of Princess Carolyn's life getting royally screwed up again, we've already seen that multiple times before. Just seeing some real progress without everything blowing up in people's faces would be nice. I'm worried if season 5 isn't the last season, they'll find a way to fuck up bojack life yet again to make some material for season 6.

Yeah you're right.

I guess I should say it's more like BoJack will start getting what he wants when he stops being a shitty person. Friends, family, a career, all that. He has a lot to make up for and there are some bridges that he's completely burned, but not all of them.

I think this season was a huge turning point for BoJack. In the past I feel like when he's done nice things, it was always out of selfishness. He'd do just enough to keep his friends around so they could keep validating and enabling his most self-destructive tendencies. In this regard, the end of season 4 was a huge turning point for him.
What he did for Beatrice and especially Hollyhock would have been very OOC for Seasons 1-3 BoJack, he expected nothing in return and he actually made some sacrifices along the way (finding Hollyhock's mom was time consuming and annoying as we saw when he tried earlier, and by comforting Beatrice he let go of his only chance to tell her off like he wanted to. Baby steps).

Also, working with PC again and respecting Todd's wish to maintain some distance. These are positive developments.

Just really excited to see where this all goes. Ending the season with BoJack coming out ahead for once was very cathartic.

Nope. We've known it was coming since Mr. Peanutbutter told us how many fights their marriage had left in it.
I guess I felt the fight was not earned. There was no reason to get that mad and even if the gesture was perhaps a bit dumb I couldn't grok why Diane was not trying harder to understand why Mr P wanted it to be 'their' home.

Top Bottom