• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bizzyb said:
It's NEVER been about graphics in the end. It's always been about the software and I knew off the bat that the DS would have more varied interesting software than PS2 port #22674 for the PSP.
See, and the 3DS will be awesome, because it's getting both (although people seem to be more hyped for the PS2 ports).

DeathbyVolcano said:
Of course he knows, but he spoke pretty loosely and immediately clarified his statement a day later.
He did?

cooljeanius said:
See, and the 3DS will be awesome, because it's getting both (although people seem to be more hyped for the PS2 ports).
There is only one PS2 port.

GCX

Bizzyb said:
It's NEVER been about graphics in the end. It's always been about the software and I knew off the bat that the DS would have more varied interesting software than PS2 port #22674 for the PSP.
But most people thought Nintendo couldn't battle against Sony with their "tired" franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid..) when Sony got stuff like GTA, Gran Turismo, etc.

Absolutely no one couldn't predict how huge games like Nintendogs, Brain Training, Animal Crossing, etc would become.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Vic said:

I was Soothsaying like a motherfucker in that thread :)

GDGF years and years ago said:
This was posted by me in the Wednesdayton thread a while back. So damn close. Now you see why I call myself the Soothsayer :)

Quote:
(08-23-2005, 12:20 AM)
Reply | Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know shit, but if I were to pretend that I knew what the controller was, I would say that it was a one handed job (like those old one handed RPG specific super famicom controllers) with one analog stick on the top, and a dpad off to the side. The buttons would be placed like triggers near your fingertips. The second analog would be replaced by the tilt sensor.

I'm totally psyched for the controller, BTW.

Celine said:
7e5e69bd63b15da6639205fc2c4b3d77.jpg
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. This will be part of my argument from now on every time someone states that the Playstation beat the N64 because of some stupid nonsense reason.

XPE

I'm sorry i just can’t get my head around people thinking the 3DS will be launched in the EU before the states, it’s like thinking water is dry, Its just so against the norm.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Mario Kart 3DS and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS as launch software seems like a rather odd choice.

Launch is a great opportunity for Nintendo to release Steel Diver and Kid Icarus. Maybe add Nintendogs+Cats and you have a pretty strong line up. Then you schedule the other games accordingly.

wrowa

XPE said:
I'm sorry i just can’t get my head around people thinking the 3DS will be launched in the EU before the states, it’s like thinking water is dry, Its just so against the norm.
We've got the DSi XL before the US!

Yeah, I know.

GCX

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Mario Kart 3DS and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS as launch software seems like a rather odd choice.

Launch is a great opportunity for Nintendo to release Steel Diver and Kid Icarus. Maybe add Nintendogs+Cats and you have a pretty strong line up. Then you schedule the other games accordingly.
Less than 2 years of dev time for Kid Icarus sounds a bit rushed to me though. I wouldn't be so sure about it making to the launch.

GDGF said:
Plus Nintendo is pretty efficient, and I just have a feeling that even when there isn't a Mario Kart in development proper, there's always a few guys sketching away at course design maps in their free time, and also Nintendo does have a virtual vault of CG models of their main characters they've been building for years. A new Mario Kart shouldn't take too long at all to make.
Lol, yeah the game logic practically builds itself right :p

Btw, if nov 11 is true for japan, and next year for EU, it seems like ill be importing. Japanese consoles have a history of not being region locked, so who knows. Im not sure if this is also the case with the dsi.

Jackano

XPE said:
I don't know if your norm is a great argument here :lol

Europe massively adopted the DS, and massively adopted Nintendogs. Like Iwata said in an investissors conference shortly after E3, Europeans are greats early-adopters, like Japaneses. Americans are not. I think a release in Europe in december then US is possible, but my bet still rest on 2010, Japan only.

Celine

BMF said:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. This will be part of my argument from now on every time someone states that the Playstation beat the N64 because of some stupid nonsense reason.
I ummm ... don't understand what you mean.

szaromir

Banned
Bizzyb said:
I knew DS was going to catch on simply because it was a creative NEW way to interact with games. DS practically made the touch screen a valid input method for mass media portable devices. Not saying it invented touch screens or anything but it made it more prevalent in portable technology. Also the microphone was pretty inventive as well (for a portable gaming device)

Yes. I also predicted DS would be crazy popular. Maybe because I had always dreamed about touch screen based gaming, though nowadays it annoys me in most cases. :lol Whereas PSP's premise was to offer PS2 level games with gimped controls, which didn't sound too promising at all.

I was a terrible fortune teller when it comes to home consoles though. I though it would be PS3 - 40%/360 - 30%/ Wii - 30% marketshare. How wrong was I. :lol I first played Wii on Games Convention 2006 and was quite disappointed with the Remote, I had expected 1:1 coontrols and it didn't offer that at all. Plus the system didn't seem powerful enough to deliver more complex implementations of motion gaming. I didn't know that the audience would be OK with certain abstractness and randomness of the device. Only the DS momentum would help Nintendo Wii.

Mrbob

Nov 10 USA release believe! Here is hoping. Gonna pre order a system right away if we get a 2010 release. No plans to line up anywhere! Skipped the DSi and am ready to retire my DSLite.

Jackano

Shikamaru Ninja said:

If you look at their japanese website for the 3DS, that's Kid icarus (with its japanese logo!) and Nintendogs+cats that are on top of the software page.
Mario Kart can be the second killer-app, launching a few weeks after initial release. Like Smash Bros Melee was, if the 3DS launch in Japan mid-november, they will need a great game 6 weeks later.

OoT 3DS is out of question for the launch window, Aonuma said they were still experimenting some things to change in the game, nothing efficiency advanced for a mission as important as a system release support! I bet on a strong April 2011 month for Zelda in Japan, with Skyward Sword too.

Thank you for this thread, its priceless! :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
Supervlieg said:
Lol, yeah the game logic practically builds itself right :p

Is that a rubber band AI joke? :lol

Nah, but seriously that part wouldn't even be much of a time killer. They've got four (well, three modern) Mario Kart 3D games to draw code from now. They know what they're doing. Mario Kart 3DS could definitely arrive launch window. Not saying it will, but it wouldn't be because it wasn't ready.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Vic said:
Odd, I could of sworn that took place on the 24th. Oh well.

I love Alphadream's DS Development kit :lol

I thought they were going with Sony but the plans fell through(and then sony made the PS).
For the SNES, Some Sony executive took a very liberal meaning to a contract with Nintendo for making the Audio Chip. So, without Nintendo knowing, Sony made a CD-Rom add on to the SNES. They presented the idea to Nintendo, but their contract had a clause giving Sony a huge upper hand, so it just got shut out.

Sony decided to then take their now useless CD Addition and make a console with it, which thanks to Nintendo Charging $35 per cart to make a N64 cart, and Sony only charging $10 per CD ROM, developers jumped ship for the system that offered them much higher profits.

The normal story you hear about Nintendo backstabbing Sony is mostly fabrication which has managed to be accepted as fact.

Neo C.

Johann said:
They've had great success with the DSL->DSi->DSiXL route. Introduce the system at an aggressive price and then introduce higher priced SKUs for better margins.
That doesn't change the fact that the currency exchange is roughly 100 Yen = 1.19 USD now.

If Nintendo sees 19'900 Yen as an agressive price point, it means that the handheld is worth over 236 USD. Or to rephrase it: Let's hope Nintendo sells it for 18'900 Yen or less, or it would be very difficult to justify a 200 USD price point.

Neiteio

Well, from a system-selling standpoint, Mario Kart 3DS and Ocarina of Time 3D would do wonders. I know I'd have to get both at launch. It's a perfect mix for gamers, with your arcadey multiplayer fun on one hand, and your sweeping single-player epic on the other.

With the framework to OoT already existing in the N64 original, it's mostly a matter of updating the art assets/sound samples, implementing 3D and touchscreen item selection, plus any other bells and whistles they plan to include. And for Mario Kart, they can crank out another one of those like nobody's business. They have it down to a science after MKDS and MKWii. :)

Mario and Zelda at launch... How amazing that'd be if that rumor panned out to be true. If nothing else, I hope Wednesday's conference brings us a trailer for OoT 3D. The screenshots look gorgeous; a graphical facelift is exactly what this classic needed, and in stereo 3D, no less. :)

Of course, Kid Icarus certainly seems poised to be a launch or near-launch title, and that'd certainly bolster the franchise's standing. It's mostly hardcore gamers picking up new systems at launch, so what more fitting tribute to fandom than the new Kid Icarus? I'd hazard to guess that Steel Diver, Nintendogs + Cats and Pilotwings Resort are first-quarter locks. Pilotwings in particular seems like it'd be an excellent title to bundle with the system... With its ties to the Wii Sports world, and its user-friendly controls and immersive sense of 3D, it seems like a perfect pack-in.

Man, speculating how the 3DS launch will shake out is so much fun. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Neo C. said:
That doesn't change the fact that the currency exchange is roughly 100 Yen = 1.19 USD now.

If Nintendo sees 19'900 Yen as an agressive price point, it means that the handheld is worth over 236 USD. Or to rephrase it: Let's hope Nintendo sells it for 18'900 Yen or less, or it would be very difficult to justify a 200 USD price point.
True. But I am willing to pay $250 if it comes with a game. Heck, I am willing to pay $250 for it no matter what. They would have to make the price $500+ for me to say "You know what, let me hold off on this"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
plagiarize said:
people making fun of anyone that didn't know the DS was going to be massive should also be making fun of Nintendo.

only crazy N heads were guessing that it was going to be massive, and while they turned out to be right in the end, it wasn't because their predictions were based on any kind of logic, it was just insane predictions because Nintendo gave them a boner.
I really do agree.

Celine

BMF said:
Profit Margins on a per cartridge/disc basis. That's every reason any publisher ever needs.
Don't forget the high risk involved with the cartridge business.
PS1 was a more friendly system for third-parties than N64.
There is no doubt about it.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Neiteio said:
Well, from a system-selling standpoint, Mario Kart 3DS and Ocarina of Time 3D would do wonders. I know I'd have to get both at launch. It's a perfect mix for gamers, with your arcadey multiplayer fun on one hand, and your sweeping single-player epic on the other.

The system is going to sell regardless. Nintendo could pick any combination of first-party software with whatever third-party titles make it. Launch is a great time to try and introduce new software since consumers will be desperate for games to try out the 3DS on. This is a perfect window for either Kid Icarus, Steel Diver, and Pilotwings Resort to have a spotlight on them. Could be a good window for Star Fox as well, but I really rather Nintendo not rush out Star Fox.

But honestly. You put Ocarina and Mario Kart at launch.. and you are overshadowing everything else. First and third party.

With the framework to OoT already existing in the N64 original, it's mostly a matter of updating the art assets/sound samples, implementing 3D and touchscreen item selection, plus any other bells and whistles they plan to include. And for Mario Kart, they can crank out another one of those like nobody's business. They have it down to a science after MKDS and MKWii. :)

I wonder though, Mario Kart 3DS will likely make heavy use of Nintendo's new online infrastructure. (Star Fox also perhaps?) Which makes it risky to get out for launch.

Of course, Kid Icarus certainly seems poised to be a launch or near-launch title, and that'd certainly bolster the franchise's standing. It's mostly hardcore gamers picking up new systems at launch, so what more fitting tribute to fandom than the new Kid Icarus? I'd hazard to guess that Steel Diver, Nintendogs + Cats and Pilotwings Resort are first-quarter locks. Pilotwings in particular seems like it'd be an excellent title to bundle with the system... With its ties to the Wii Sports world, and its user-friendly controls and immersive sense of 3D, it seems like a perfect pack-in.

Man, speculating how the 3DS launch will shake out is so much fun. :)

Steel Diver. Kid Icarus. Nintendogs+Cats I think is the optimum launch for Nintendo. Maybe that 3DS Play, Nintendo trademarked is going to be a launch title. Pack-in title even?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I thought the PSP was going to do pretty good, until I learned it only had a 3 hour battery life.

The Wii I did think was going to do good because I could see how much the Wiimote would wow people. I thought they would make more meaningful accessories that the Wiimote plugged into, instead of a bunch of plastic though.

XPE

Speaking of multi-player if Nintendo do over haul their online service (let’s hope so) with Mario kart not making launch i can’t think of any game that could show off the online part of the system.

only crazy N heads were guessing that it was going to be massive, and while they turned out to be right in the end, it wasn't because their predictions were based on any kind of logic, it was just insane predictions because Nintendo gave them a boner.

That or people who actually realize a touch screen could really change the way you play games and lead to ideas never before seen.

Celine said:
Don't forget the high risk involved with the cartridge business.
PS1 was a more friendly system for third-parties than N64.
There is no doubt about it.
It all comes down to $12 vs $34 per cartridge sold. That and the publisher has to spend $12 for every cartridge manufactured whether it sells or not. That vs the $1.50 for a PS1 game.

It's all very broken down right there though. Nintendo was beaten soundly by the cost model that the CD allowed and their own insistence on a high licence fee when their competition was charging less than half.

Neiteio said:

But what about Star Fox 64 3DS? Surely they would have that game completed before, considering in comparison to Ocarina of Time, it's a much smaller game. It could be that they're getting it ready for Online component, but if Mario Kart 3DS is going to be there at launch, why couldn't Star Fox?
Maybe I'm putting to much thought into this... :lol

Gravijah

So, 200 euros would mean it'd be about 220ish in America? More? And Q1 europe definitely means Q1 NA... Unless I missed something.

XPE said:
Speaking of multi-player if Nintendo do over haul their online service (let’s hope so) with Mario kart not making launch i can’t think of any game that could show off the online part of the system.

Didn't it take a while before any game for the DS to get any online play? Wasn't it the same for the Wii as well? But I suppose this isn't the same thing.

So, 200 euros would mean it'd be about 220ish in America? More? And Q1 europe definitely means Q1 NA...

Wouldn't that make it also $200? I'm no expert, so don't quote me on it.

wwm0nkey

XPE said:
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory with Spy vs Merc like how it was on XBL.

Neo C.

Gravijah said:
So, 200 euros would mean it'd be about 220ish in America? More? And Q1 europe definitely means Q1 NA... Unless I missed something.
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if 220ish in America means 220€ :lol .
:(

XPE

Chet Rippo said:
Didn't it take a while before any game for the DS to get any online play? Wasn't it the same for the Wii as well? But I suppose this isn't the same thing.

You are 100% right, but why would they do the same thing again?

If they over haul the online system, like we suspect/hope they will do, they need something to show it off.

wwm0nkey said:
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory with Spy vs Merc like how it was on XBL.

That would be nice but ubi have yet to make a online game for a nintendo system, i dont see them starting now =(

Cow Mengde said:
That or people who actually realize a touch screen could really change the way you play games and lead to ideas never before seen.
And/or understood what sells a handheld system (battery life, ruggedness, price, software), which the PSP failed on all but arguably the last point. I always thought the PSP was another attempt by a rival to jump the limits of what makes a good handheld to get some misguided leg up on Nintendo. I also knew Sony was a juggernaut that none of those rivals were ever close to being, so I expected brand power and being the hot sexy new toy for teenage boys would propel the PSP to a pretty good 1st year vs the DS. After that the one being a good mass-market handheld system and the other not would begin to show.

Although I didn't see the Touch Generation explosion or the Monster Hunter second wind. software years out are a bit harder to predict than hardware. Sure the new way to play games would lead to greater sales, I just didn't anticipate PS2 beating levels. Though PSP stomping levels yes.

Unfortunately I wasn't part of neogaf, or any forum, back then. Only the people I knew had to deal with my rantings and ravings in those days.

Bending_Unit_22 said:
And/or understood what sells a handheld system (battery life, ruggedness, price, software), which the PSP failed on all but arguably the last point.

Seriously, in this very 3DS thread, people STILL don't understand the importance of battery life in a portable. I've always maintained that battery life is the number 1 concern for me with the 3DS. When I saw how good the graphics were, I was actually worried the battery life would be pretty bad. It's the more modest rumored specs that put my mind to ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom