• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii-k in Review 5/4

thefro

http://wii.ign.com/articles/785/785870p1.html

- Metroid Prime 3 news coming the week of May 20th, Matt is hearing great things and is getting psyched.
- Battalion Wars II has online co-op play and so does Forever Blue
- Boogie is a game without a focus, still changing the controls like crazy
- Spidey 3 Wii sucks, but better than PS2 version... they rip on all the versions. Game was rushed to meet movie release date, nightmare working with Sony/Marvel.
- Three events next week with Wii stuff starting Tuesday:
Sega (Matt says this will be the biggest and he expects new stuff to shown, no embargo, Bozon mentions something about Samba De Amigo and NiGHTS), EA, and Ubisoft.
- They're hearing the rumor about Nintendo maybe setting up an office in San Francisco for PR staff where Perrin Kaplan, etc would move.
- New IP on DS to be announced next week
- Matt's cryptic announcement... a fighting franchise that came to Gamecube is coming to Wii, but now it's an adventure game. A game that sold well from a 3rd party. Sounds like Soul Calibur, which would be sweet.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah it sounds like they're excited about the Sega event next week :)

Maridia

thefro said:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/785/785870p1.html

- Metroid Prime 3 news coming the week of May 20th, Matt is hearing great things and is getting psyched.
- Battalion Wars II has online co-op play and so does Forever Blue
- Matt's cryptic announcement... a fighting franchise that was on Gamecube is coming to Wii, but now it's an adventure game. A game that sold well from a 3rd party. Sounds like Soul Calibur, which would be sweet.

Nice...unless the fighting game is Bloody Roar.

Grecco

Matt's cryptic announcement... a fighting franchise that was on Gamecube is coming to Wii, but now it's an adventure game. A game that sold well from a 3rd party. Sounds like Soul Calibur, which would be sweet

Gaf meltdown total... and deservingly so

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, lots of new information this week (they made up for the missing Japanese news thread :) ). Sounds like May will still be the month where tons of new games are revealed with S-E, Sega, EA, etc. making a bunch of announcements.

And Forever Blue has co-op? Might get it now if it turns out good, I usually hate these type of titles.

stewacide

It sounds like Twilight Princess was changing the controls around (once it got started on the Wii) and only settled on the final (I think brilliant) layout right near the end: so I'm not too worried about Boogie. Experimentation is good: better than settling on a bad scheme as a lot of Wii games tend to.

schuelma

stewacide said:
It sounds like Twilight Princess was changing the controls around (once it got started on the Wii) and only settled on the final (I think brilliant) layout right near the end: so I'm not too worried about Boogie. Experimentation is good: better than settling on a bad scheme as a lot of Wii games tend to.

I just hope they take their time. If they have to wait until 08, EA should do it.

jj984jj

Shane said S-E will be announcing a new IP at their party, maybe that's the new DS IP?

justchris

Ooooh, new IP. I like news, will stay glued to my monitor next week (not like I have anything better to do at work).

legend166

Awesome. The next couple of weeks should be very interesting. I really want Metroid Prime 3 news, with hopefully a sold release date.

I really like having this podcast on a weekly basis now. It's the perfect complement to 1Up Yours. I get my general industry commentary and jokey jokes from them and my genuine Nintendo coverage from IGN.

schuelma

BrodiemanTTR said:
I really like having this podcast on a weekly basis now. It's the perfect complement to 1Up Yours. I get my general industry commentary and jokey jokes from them and my genuine Nintendo coverage from IGN.

Yeah. It's not usually very entertaining, but there are usually some decent tidbits.

schuelma

Somnid said:
Bozon jokingly said it's Bloody Roar and Matt jokingly agreed. It's not Bloody Roar.

Is there really any other logical candidate other than Soul Caliber? Did any other 3rd party fighting game sell well on GC?

Grecco

schuelma said:
Is there really any other logical candidate other than Soul Caliber? Did any other 3rd party fighting game sell well on GC?

MK ... Shaolin Monks 2 Confirmed lawl

fernoca

thefro said:
- Matt's cryptic announcement... a fighting franchise that came to Gamecube is coming to Wii, but now it's an adventure game. A game that sold well from a 3rd party. Sounds like Soul Calibur, which would be sweet.

Mortal Kombat.
There's an adventure game in planning since earlier last year, and there's a Nintendo DS MK game on the way too (for this fall)..

Plus Midway already confirmed 2 exclusive games for the Wii after MK Armageddon.

Or Soul Calibur..who knows.

I just got Elebits today and wow, if Metroid controls are similar, if not better, it bodes well for FPS on the Wii.

It's kinda good news for Boogie cause I really hated the idea of SSX like controls.

Seems like the second wave of Wii related announcements are happening next week. I can't wait.

schuelma

Also one more vague semi tidbit- Matt and Bozon both said that publishers are telling them they are increasingly developing for the Wii. I know its vague, but Matt has criticized the lack of third party support so I doubt he'd make it up. Let's hope its more NiGHTS to and less EA Playground..

Somnid

It probably is Soul Calibur, Matt said it would be obvious for anyone with a brain.

[edit] Bozon also joked about Mortal Kombat which rules that one out too.

thefro

fernoca said:
Mortal Kombat.
There's an adventure game in planning since earlier last year, and there's a Nintendo DS MK game on the way too (for this fall)..

[/spoiler]

Bozon jokingly mentioned it being MK Shaolin Monks 2, so I think that's out... also the MK series didn't sell on the Cube.

Avrum

Maridia said:
Nice...unless the fighting game is Bloody Roar.

Bloody Roar: Primal Fury was a pretty fun game though. Xion and Uriko FTMFW. :p

Though I would agree that I'm not so sure about an adventure game of it. :p

fernoca

thefro said:
Bozon jokingly mentioned it being MK Shaolin Monks 2, so I think that's out... also the MK series didn't sell on the Cube.

Well, just because is not the game they mentioned..doesn't mean is not coming. :)
Also, Mk sold kinda..well..not a million seller, but sold 200,000+ copies (Deception too)...
The controller was not suited for that game though...

Obviously Soul Calibur II sold better...and there has been rumors of SC games for Nintendo consoles since..even before SCII (like the rumored SC game that used as controller only the 2 analog sticks: one for movement and the other for the weapon)

The question would be - if it was Soul Calibur, would they manage to regrab the license for Link for this new title, too? After all, the inclusion of Link was one of the reasons why the GameCube version sold rather well. I do think that its not very likely, though.

krypt0nian said:

I'd honestly say this is the best guess. Naruto was pretty, did exceedingly well on both sides of the pacific, and would lend itself more to an Adventure game than SC.

Of course there has already been adventure Naruto games, so this lies against it...

Dragona Akehi said:
I'd honestly say this is the best guess. Naruto was pretty, did exceedingly well on both sides of the pacific, and would lend itself more to an Adventure game than SC.

Of course there has already been adventure Naruto games, so this lies against it...

I wonder if the ubi Naruto license is coming to wii?

jj984jj

If the adventure game is anything from Bandai-Namco I will very likely say DO NOT WANT!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Somnid said:
It probably is Soul Calibur, Matt said it would be obvious for anyone with a brain.

[edit] Bozon also joked about Mortal Kombat which rules that one out too.

Congrats Wii owners. Fighting game characters turned into adventure/action game.

g20923g5l7i.jpg

Enjoy.

Why would anyone be excited for that news and not news of a SEQUEL to said fighting game?

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:

Don't know if you listened to the podcast, but they definitely made it seem like moving to the adventure genre was a major departure for the franchise.

TheGreatDave said:
Obviously they could be improved, but they were pretty good I agree. That game got seriously overlooked.

I'm not really surprised. I LOVED the game and the controls are pretty inspiring, but the story and repetition are some of its biggest flaws. Talk about blatant kiddehness. It's almost like Konami was insulting Wii owners.:lol

puck1337

Virtua Quest 2!

If it means that they're actually adding online to their major titles, I'm okay with the delays. Battalion Wars, Metroid, Strikers, etc. will all land up being much better for it.

Grecco

Has to be Soul Calibur..

MK, Bloody Roar, Naruto, Godzilla and Soul Calibur are basically it... Godzilla is out, so is MK and Naruto... just leaves BR and Soul Calibur..

BR didnt sell well..

Soul Edge had character-specific quests where they crossed the country and fought gimmick fights. It was all done in text, not as an adventure, but they could easily make something like that as an adventure if they wanted.

Terrell

Somnid said:
Bozon jokingly said it's Bloody Roar and Matt jokingly agreed. It's not Bloody Roar.
But maybe if they made it an action title, the Bloody Roar franchise wouldn't suck as bad anymore? Cuz as a fighter, it's pretty borked.

But yeah, if it's Soul Calibur as an action title, GAF meltdown confirmed. Times a million.
And dammit Sega, quit teasing about the massive Wii support and just show something other than NiGHTS!!

Top Bottom