• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 World Cup 3rd place |OT| Uruguay vs Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

(this thread should exist, right ?)

This is the second time Germany and Uruguay have met to contest third place at a FIFA World Cup, with the pair doing battle at the same stage of Mexico 1970. At the finals 40 years ago, Die Nationalmannschaft had lost a semi-final thriller 4-3 to Italy, while La Celeste had been downed 3-1 by eventual winners Brazil, with the Germans snatching third spot thanks to a solitary 26th-minute strike from Wolfgang Overath.

uruguay-flag.gif

vs

german%20flag.jpg

Players to watch

Diego Forlan vs Miroslav Klose

1270748_full-lnd.jpg

This duo of vastly experienced strikers have four goals apiece so far and will be determined to further their respective Golden Boot hopes by finding the net again at the Port Elizabeth Stadium. The lethal pair both picked up knocks in their sides’ semi-final defeats, however, and may struggle to fire on all cylinders come Saturday evening.

Uruguay-Germany, play-off for third place, Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth, Saturday 10 July, 20:30 (local time)

DominoKid

this game cant be worse than the final.

cause we all know Spain is going to pass-bore everyone to death. i've fell asleep during all their games except for when they played Chile cause it looked like they could've hung 5 or 6 on them. damn their mindnumbing efficiency

I'll be rootin' for Germany.

And why not have this useless match?

It's another match before the World Cup is over :(. Damn baseball highlights and the 1000th variation of the diving catch in the top ten plays.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I said this in the final thread, but damn, can't believe this WC is almost over already. Feels like it just started, now here we are.

Dresden said:
I hope Klose scores two and knocks off Ronaldo, btw.

Ditto.

soultron

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
This match might actually be more exciting than the final. We have two teams who promise a shoot out.
I really don't think it will go to a shoot out. I predict Germany will win, but only with a score of something tame like 2-1. I don't see this being a blowout for Germany like England was.

Regardless, I am excited as both teams definitely promise an exciting game, just as WC2006 ended with, IMO, Germany's match against Portugal being more exciting than Italy and France. It's purely subjective though, and I only say that since I love Germany.

xbhaskarx

Azuran said:
Why do they still have this pointless match?
It could be more exciting than the final because the teams have nothing to lose so they can be more aggressive.

Are there any medals / trophies for the third place winner?

Salsa

soultron said:
What was the disciplinary board's decision on Suarez? Is he missing this game too?

Nope, he`s in.

So does Fucile and Lugano.

Add Caceres (the guy who kicked Demy in the face) and we have what i think its the best Uruguayan team yet. Should have been this way from the start.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Well this fucking sucks. I don't want to root against Forlan, Uruguay, or Salsa Shark, but Germany is my heart and soul :\

I hope it's a good match. I have too much respect for Uruguay to wholeheartedly root against them.

Quincey said:
Spain and Netherlands are two defending teams?

Have you seen them play?

The netherlands spend 3/4 of the matches pretending to be traffic cones, while spain tries to break some kind of possession/passing record.

And also, germany and uruguay will both go out at full speed. Netherlands and spain will both play with extreme caution.

What did Paul say? What do you mean he won't eat any of the boxes from this tank?

Oh that's right, there are no winners here!

Salsa

Hydranockz said:
What did Paul say? What do you mean he won't eat any of the boxes from this tank?

He actually predicted Germany will win.

esquire said:
Well this fucking sucks. I don't want to root against Forlan, Uruguay, or Salsa Shark, but Germany is my heart and soul :\

I hope it's a good match. I have too much respect for Uruguay to wholeheartedly root against them.

You can root against me man, no prob :lol

feel

I wish they would just get rid of this match, it's kinda of humiliating.. just allow the semifinal losers to go straight home fifa, its all they want to do the second they're not contenders for the title.

Anyways, fuerza Uruguay!! Fucile!

Salsa

Letters said:
I wish they would just get rid of this match, it's kinda of humiliating.. just allow the semifinal losers to go straight home fifa, its all they want to do the second they're not contenders for the title.

Anyways, fuerza Uruguay!! Fucile!

They are pretty excited to play the game man, im sure most of the teams would be devastated after losing the semifinal, but thats in the past now. This the fun game.

And hell yeah, Fucile is back.

xbhaskarx

Hydranockz said:
That's just a stupid attitude. Aside from the champion, there are many other winners at the WC: all the teams that surpass expectations. Both Germany and Uruguay had excellent tournaments and I'm sure their fans are pleased with how they performed, especially Uruguay. Not every country is capable of winning the World Cup. He'll I'm sure even Switzerland and New Zealand consider themselves winners, and they didn't even get out of the group stage. On the other hand anything short of at least playing in the finals is a failure for Brazil.
Letters said:

SMH... You really don't think Uruguay are excited to play for third place?

Salsa

xbhaskarx said:
That's just a stupid attitude. Aside from the champion, there are many other winners at the WC: all the teams that surpass expectations. Both Germany and Uruguay had excellent tournaments and I'm sure their fans are pleased with how they performed, especially Uruguay. Not every country is capable of winning the World Cup. He'll I'm sure even Switzerland and New Zealand consider themselves winners, and they didn't even get out of the group stage. On the other hand anything short of at least playing in the finals is a failure for Brazil.

*claps*

I will correct you however in that yes, every country is capable of winning the WC :)

But both teams are winners here, not winners of the world cup of course, but in their own area, winners. I can only speak for Uruguay, and getting closer than in the past 40 years to winning our 3rd world cup isnt really loser material for me. Being the only team from an entire continent to make it this far neither. Seeing how Germany performed, im guessing the fans must be proud as well, and not really wanting to call them losers.

GhaleonQ

jamesinclair said:
For people who want to watch something more entertaining than the final?

Two attacking teams > two defending teams

More like 2 aggressive teams (offensive or defensive) > 2 passive teams. Spain will pass in Holland's half to get everything just so, while Holland will wait for possession and then pass it, well, Holland's half until they get things just so. A true clash of offense versus defense!

I hope this game's fun AND technically sound.

I'm just cheering for Klose to score 2 more goals. It would be nice to see him get at the top of the record books for his last ever World Cup.

Though it still doesn't heal the sting of being runner up or third place since fucking 2002. Including the bloody Euro cup.

Enosh

Discotheque said:
I'm just cheering for Klose to score 2 more goals. It would be nice to see him get at the top of the record books for his last ever World Cup.

Though it still doesn't heal the sting of being runner up or third place since fucking 2002. Including the bloody Euro cup.
I hope he is okay for todays match, I heard something about him having back problems due to an injury :(

Dennis

Banned
Notorious_Roy said:
Go Europe!
Yes. If for nothing else, then for the South American/SalsaShark bitter tears.

And of course the game matters - having won a World Cup bronze medal is a big deal.

Cosmozone

I'm interested in how Müller will play. He was extremely pissed not being able to do anything in the semifinal. However there will be a German B team playing, yet I totally want them to win. Deutschland!

Notorious_Roy said:
Go Europe!
Hehe, totally forgot about that.

Roude Leiw said:
apparently a lot of German players have the flu. i think podolski cant play.
Yeah, Podolski and Lahm are probably out. Klose probably won't play, too. Schweinsteiger for captain, he was captain anyway this WC.

Marin for Podolski and Aogo for Lahm seems likely? I just hope Tasci won't play because Bierhoff said they wanted to let players play that didn't this WC. If Tasci plays we're fucked.

Xater

Milchmonster said:
Yeah, Podolski and Lahm are probably out. Klose probably won't play, too. Schweinsteiger for captain, he was captain anyway this WC.

Marin for Podolski and Aogo for Lahm seems likely? I just hope Tasci won't play because Bierhoff said they wanted to let players play that didn't this WC. If Tasci plays we're fucked.

And I want to see Cacau for Klose. Please don't let Gomez play.

Lightning

Banned
Milchmonster said:

What the fuck... are Germany feilding their reserve side in less then 8hrs?

Is Neuer playing in goal? I am impressed with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom