• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010-2011 TV Show Cancelation Watch - Shows based on Twitter feeds don't work out!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Every year shows get canceled. Most years, watching shows get canceled is more enjoyable than actually watching shows and this season won't disappoint either.

So, what's going to get canceled this fall?

Partial Casualty List
- Better with You
- Brothers & Sisters
- Detroit 1-8-7
- Mr. Sunshine
- My Generation
- No Ordinary Family
- Off the Map
- Supernanny
- V
- The Whole Truth
- $#*! My Dad Says
- Chaos
- The Defenders
- Flashpoint
- Live to Dance
- Mad Love
- Medium
- Life Unexpected
- America's Most Wanted
- Breaking In
- The Chicago Code
- The Good Guys
- Human Target
- Lie to Me
- Lone Star
- Running Wilde
- Traffic Light
- The Cape
- Chase
- The Event
- Friday Night Lights
- Law & Order: LA
- Outlaw
- Outsourced
- The Paul Reiser Show
- Perfect Couples
- School Pride
- Undercovers
- Caprica
- Rubicon
- The Good Guys
- Terriers

AnnHog

I can't see Chase surviving too long.

Its a shame that Lone Star was dead on arrival. I really enjoyed the pilot :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cable Bomba:
Terriers rolls over
After premiering badly, then falling in its second week, Terriers fell again to a mere 0.2 adults 18-49 rating and less than 600,000 viewers (last week a 0.4 with adults 18-49). A lot of people are chalking its poor showing up to being badly named. That might account for a poor sampling, but consecutive weekly drops?

Blog post by the creator of Lone Star:
So here’s the plan. You go deep. All of you. You and millions of your friends. And Monday night, down by a lot with only seconds on the clock, we’ll throw the ball up, an impossibly long arcing pass into a host of defenders who are taller and flashier and stronger and probably more well endowed than all of us, and maybe, just maybe, it’s one of those moments where the thing everyone said COULD NOT HAPPEN actually just… does. And you my friend, you could say you were there, you and all your friends, just taking one big Gatorade bath with the millions of people who, like you, decided to say ‘F you’ to statistics and just settle in for a damn good hour of television

So spread the word. Repost, retweet, re…faceboook or just put on your crazy pants and head down to the freeway exit and shout at cars like I’m going to.

Monday night.

STUNNING UPSET.

Mark it.

:lol

Raxus

2 of the best new shows this year are likely the first to be axed.

Terriers and Lone Star.

Shows that should bomb: (but won't if I can see my karma going on right now)

Outsourced (xenophobic and sorta racist? SIGN ME UP!)
Shit My Dead Says. A funny twitter account turns into an unfunny show. Who didn't see this coming.

ollin

First show to be canned would be Lone Star. I don't see how the ratings can get any better. Fox has no other option than pulling it after the second episode. The Whole Truth will last a few more episodes just because Jerry Bruckheimer is exec producing. I don't see how My Genderations and Outsourced will last. Both have tough time slots and will be gone by midseason. Friday is a ghost night with Human Target, Good Guys, Blue Bloods, Body of Proof, and Outlaw all looking like it won't be too long before it's canceled. I do hope that Human Target gets moved to the Monday 9pm time slot though.

Remember when shows generally got time to establish themselves past the pilot, maybe pick up a little word of mouth success?

Shit My Dad Says needs to go. Now. I didn't get to see Lone Star, but I keep hearing of its comatose status.

I watched Outsourced after The Office last night. I didn't hate it, but there's absolutely nothing about it worth keeping on the air. It tries too hard with all of its gags, too. I actually dug the soundtrack a bit though.

Raxus

Kulock said:
Remember when shows generally got time to establish themselves past the pilot, maybe pick up a little word of mouth success?
To be fair, some shows I am surprised made it to the pilot (Read the Onions 'The AV Club' review of Shit My Dad Says the pilot was directed twice and the live audience wasn't laughing).

Cardon

ollin said:
I do hope that Human Target gets moved to the Monday 9pm time slot though.

Same here. I really enjoyed season 1 but with the new Friday time slot I think the show will lucky to last 5 episodes before Fox dumps it.

pj

Banned
I'll give terriers a shot since FX has been on a hot streak lately, but I initially passed it over because the early commercials were horrendous.

Dudes sitting on a stoop and a dog walks by, one dude says something like "that was weird", the end.

???

wtf am I supposed to do with that

BigAT

If you had no idea about the Twitter account, which I've got to imagine a large portion of the network television audience doesn't, how would you even go about pronouncing or referencing the title "$#*! My Dad Says"?

I haven't seen any commercials for it, thankfully, so I don't know what CBS is calling it.

Jon

I had high hopes for Outsourced...but I'm not so sure after that pilot. ::pulls collar:: That being said, I don't think NBC will cancel it right away since they've been known to stick with shows a little longer than most.

cory64

BigAT said:
If you had no idea about the Twitter account, which I've got to imagine a large portion of the network television audience doesn't, how would you even go about pronouncing or referencing the title "$#*! My Dad Says"?

I haven't seen any commercials for it, thankfully, so I don't know what CBS is calling it.
Bleep My Dad Says.

I've never even heard of Lone Star, but I watched The Whole Truth the other day, and after five minutes, knew it wouldn't make it out of October. Interesting concept, dreadful show.

a message from the twitter of Eloise Mumford, one of the stars of Lonestar....

@jimtothehum hi jim, eloise here.. i need you to do me a favor. you have to get everyone in chicago to watch lone star on monday. please. xx

so watch this show! save Lonestar!!

harSon

Banned
Undercovers didn't do too hot unfortunately, made worse by the fact that its probably a relatively expensive show to make.

Irish

Lone Star and Terriers are both extremely entertaining. :(

I could totally do without The Event though. It wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't all that great either.

Most of the pilots have been doing pretty bad though, haven't they?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shit My Dad Says opened huge, no bomba there yet. Now, it's such an awful show that I'm sure some audience members will sour on it--but then again, Chuck Lorre is the most successful creative in Hollywood right now for some reason.

Bread

Banned
I hope they give Running Wilde a chance to get in form, I hate seeing shows from talented comedians get canceled too early because they started slow

Outsourced.

By the way I don't get the bomba joke. I mean I guess it's for "bomb" but is there some GAF story to it? Help a brotha out here. :D

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
ollin said:
Friday is a ghost night with Human Target, Good Guys, Blue Bloods, Body of Proof, and Outlaw all looking like it won't be too long before it's canceled. I do hope that Human Target gets moved to the Monday 9pm time slot though.

Supernatural is on Fridays, that is all you really need anyway.

bill0527

Stumpokapow said:
Shit My Dad Says opened huge, no bomba there yet. Now, it's such an awful show that I'm sure some audience members will sour on it--but then again, Chuck Lorre is the most successful creative in Hollywood right now for some reason.

Well fuck gaf on this one.. but I enjoyed the last half of Shit My Dad Says. Once the episode got going, I thought it was decent. It wasn't seasons 2-3 of The Office on-the-floor-laughing funny, and it wasn't Modern Family funny... but I had a few chuckles.

I also enjoyed Hawaii Five-O. I'd give it a solid 6.5 or 7 for a premiere. I've never seen the original so I have no frame of reference to compare it to, but had they called it any other name, maybe people wouldn't be so pissed about it. It wasn't groundbreaking TV, but it had pretty decent action, beautiful scenery, and a lot of hot men and women to look at.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stumpokapow said:
I see ads for this in the subway. I don't even get what it is about. Which generation? Is it mine or the one immediately before me? I don't identify with any of the things these ads say should apply.

Plus the name is just so dumb. You can't really glean anything from the title. Is it a drama? A comedy? A dramedy? Is it even a TV series? It sounds like a documentary.

Celsior

That piece of shit big bang theory gave shit my dad said a big boost, shit sucks.

Also, I saw my generation preview before Inception by the Regal preview thing, it is mostly a fake reality show that involves all different people from our 20's generation. Like interracial couples, war veterans, gay couple, single parents, blah blah blah, looked really stupid.

Takao

Banned
I don't think No Ordinary Family is going to do well. Just got a feeling.

themadcowtipper said:
Holy Shit, keep that show killer away from my Chuck,

Sadly she didn't take The Big Bang Theory with her.

that show with the superhero family already started airing?

i pick that and "bleep my dad says" , really terrible show, but since Will Sasso and Nicole Suilivan are on it, it can stay for a bit :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
spindashing said:
Outsourced.

Outsourced opened with a 3.6, which isn't as big as SMDS but is pretty big. Sorry. At least you can hope for bad word of mouth and viewer bleeding.

themadcowtipper said:
Is The Cape still happening? The preview I saw look great, sadly it will be cancelled..

midseason replacement

friskykillface said:
that show with the superhero family already started airing?

september 28th, 2010

ollin

themadcowtipper said:
Is The Cape still happening? The preview I saw look great, sadly it will be cancelled..
Mid season replacement. The previews look good. Sci-fi shows on network tv is always risky. I don't see it going past the first season.

Spooks

Everybody needs to be watching Terriers. That show is pretty damn good. I'd hate to see it get the axe so quickly :(

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Is FX more likely to stick by terriers though, since it's on their own network? I mean, worst case scenario for FX is they just hold it until next summer and use it as summer filler.

And for Lone Star, I haven't seen it but I'd like to think there's a place in cable for TV shows that don't make it in primetime network. Look at Southland. That show is badass and TNT picked it up, and now it's coming back for another season in january.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Outlaw's 2nd episode in the friday timeslot got a 1.1/4.

So now NBC, ABC and FOX have pretty clear frontrunners for 1st to cancellations :p

Top Bottom