• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beat

The yahoo season was amazing.

VanDerWerff:
See, with season six, the people behind Community produced something that matches up to -- and even surpasses -- those first three seasons in some ways. […]

Season six wasn't as inventive as those first three. It sometimes seemed a little confused that it even existed. It wasn't as funny, although there were still had great jokes in every episode. Most installments played like sequels to other episodes that aired throughout the series' run. In short, it had a lot of things stacked against it.

But season six dug in deep and delivered something weird and different from the prior five seasons. Instead of going for broke on comedy, Community went for broke on being beautiful, and that made all the difference.

So did anyone see Netflix's Club De Cuervos? It released today, but there are no reviews or anything. Is it because it's bad? Or because it's in Spanish?

ezekial45

Banned
I'm still anxious about Halt and Catch Fire. Next to Better Call Saul, it's one of AMC's best shows, but the ratings were so bad. My hope would be that they give it another shot, or if not, then Netflix can swoop it up. It really improved itself in a big way.

I'm still anxious about Halt and Catch Fire. Next to Better Call Saul, it's one of AMC's best shows, but the ratings were so bad. My hope would be that they give it another shot, or if not, then Netflix can swoop it up. It really improved itself in a big way.
I watched the pilot last year, and loved it. But for some reason didn't continue watching it. Waiting to see if it's renewed or not to start watching it. If it's canceled i'll watch it but not very soon.

danielcw

I believe it does have subtitles but that's gonna be it.

Oh that's too bad.

I was kinda hoping, that all new Netflix shows from around the world will get a German dub.
On the other hand, they didn't do it for "their" animes either.
Hopefully the French House-Of-Cards-like show will get a dub ...

El Topo

Oh that's too bad.

I was kinda hoping, that all new Netflix shows from around the world will get a German dub.
On the other hand, they didn't do it for "their" animes either.
Hopefully the French House-Of-Cards-like show will get a dub ...

There is no doubt that Marseille will get a German dub. I'd expect all of their big projects to have a dub. Club de Cuervos feels like an oddball project. What I've seen was entertaining though.
No show without a German dub will get much (if any) attention in Germany.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sepinwall - Why 'Prison Break,' 'X-Files' & every other canceled TV show will rise from death

A larger problem with these revivals is that they're so often being done by the people who were still running the shows by the time they went creatively aground, necessitating their end in the first place. Scheuring wasn't around "Prison Break" by that show's final season, but he was for the silly second and third seasons. Chris Carter was there for the entirety of "The X-Files," as was Tim Kring with "Heroes," and now running "Heroes Reborn." These people were responsible for what audiences fell in love with at the start, but also responsible for how bad things got later.

The brand names have value that a new show doesn't, and so the networks and studios have to hope that the original creators can access what made them work at the beginning, rather than what made them fall apart at the end. And unless all of these reboots flop utterly, expect to see even more, not less, as a survival tactic for networks trying to figure out how to get attention for anything.

So, what other series do we see being revived in the future? Lost? That's So Raven? FIREFLY??????

So, what other series do we see being revived in the future? Lost? That's So Raven? FIREFLY??????

Dollhouse pretty pretty pretty please. I need my weekly Dushku fix.

But seriously I wouldn't even try to predict anymore. With NBC bringing Coach back I'd say any show that has any of its cast still living is fair game.

Sober

Under the Dome will be revived in 8 years. It will be canceled in 7.

Also now's the best time for NBC to bring back Up All Night. What other formats should they try this time around?

Maybe they'll actually try to reboot Knight Rider again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Under the Dome will be revived in 8 years. It will be canceled in 7.

Also now's the best time for NBC to bring back Up All Night. What other formats should they try this time around?

Or the Bionic Woman. Now that I think about it, NBC has been pushing hard for these revivals and reboots for a couple years. Didn't they have the Ironsides remake last year too? I would take an updated Rockford Files though...

What is the deal with Lombardo over at HBO? He seems totally incompetent at his job. How hard is it to make dramas and actually get them on the air? Every other network does it just fine.

It seems insane to throw away a go series from Fincher over what appears to be budgetary reasons in a time when you don't exactly have a schedule overflowing with dramas.

danielcw

Anything from Donald P Bellisario's Universal era:
Quantum leap (please),
Magnum,
Airwolf (those 3 shows could have a great crossover),
Tequila & Bonetti

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Amazon apparently released two new pilots a few (?) days (?) ago. Sneaky Pete (the one from David Shore and Bryan Cranston - originally in development at CBS) and Casanova (starring Diego Luna). Anyone seen 'em?

Sneaky Pete has 5 stars with 690 reviews.

Casanova has 4 stars with 174 reviews.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It seems insane to throw away a go series from Fincher over what appears to be budgetary reasons in a time when you don't exactly have a schedule overflowing with dramas.
2015 is light, but next year will likely have a good supply. Game of Thrones, Vinyl, Westworld and probably The Leftovers. Then a whole host of miniseries with Crime, Codes of Conduct, The Young Pope and maybe Lewis & Clark (this recently hit significant production issues too...). Who knows, maybe True Detective will be around.

2015 is light, but next year will likely have a good supply. Game of Thrones, Vinyl, Westworld and probably The Leftovers. Then a whole host of miniseries with Crime, Codes of Conduct, The Young Pope and maybe Lewis & Clark (this recently hit significant production issues too...). Who knows, maybe True Detective will be around.

Yeah that is true. I assume they're going to be making a big push on Vinyl and Westworld has their next big expensive dramas. I gotta assume True Detective wouldn't make it to air until 2017 though. It took about 18 months for S2 to start airing, so I assume something similar for a hypothetical season 3.

Hearing that Fincher wanted a minimum of $100 million (10 per ep) for Utopia though, if that's true I guess I can see HBO's passing on Fincher's version (they still own the rights).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The waiting game begins. Also, anything on Tyrant? This season is pretty interesting.
I believe Landgraf just said at the TCAs that no decision will be made about Tyrant until the current season is done airing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chances are 0%, but has anyone here seen the Australia show "Love Child"? CBC is airing it during the summer here in Canada, and based on the wiki entry anyway, it seems to be about a controversial period in Australian history in which babies were forcibly taken away from single mothers and given up to married couples.

Sober

Sepinwall - Why 'Prison Break,' 'X-Files' & every other canceled TV show will rise from death

Reading this but I'm curious, do revivals actually help bring in new blood, i.e. new writers? Because as much as it feels like revivals seem to skim the lines of getting the old band back together, I can't help but wonder if that means that original shows will get passed over because some will be clear homages to shows they could just revive, or if they'll, say, be actual new writers for the new season of X-Files (for example) or if they're just gonna reach back into the same old well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom