• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Shondaland Developing Secretive Nuns Drama for ABC

Shonda Rhimes’ Shondaland shingle is developing a drama project for ABC, our sister site Deadline reports, that follows a group of Catholic nuns who are fighting off the closure of their Bronx convent.

Adding to the sisters’ troubles is the arrival of three newbies who threaten to uncover (figuratively…?) “long-buried secrets.”

NUNS ARE BACK YALL

Is Graceland cancelled yet?

It was renewed for a third season.

It's in the middle of it's third season at the moment. It has the third lowest ratings of any USA show and the lowest demo of them all, I think it's just a matter of time until they announce it's done.

Edit: The other lower rated shows were Benched and Sirens both of which are cancelled. Benched had a viewership of 0.83 mil and a 0.32 in the demo whereas Graceland has 0.84 mil with a 0.29 in the demo.

It's in the middle of it's third season at the moment. It has the third lowest ratings of any USA show and the lowest demo of them all, I think it's just a matter of time until they announce it's done.

Edit: The other lower rated shows were Benched and Sirens both of which are cancelled. Benched had a viewership of 0.83 mil and a 0.32 in the demo whereas Graceland has 0.84 mil with a 0.29 in the demo.

I thought S1 of Graceland was pretty good for a summer show, then S2 went to shit in a hurry. I was done after maybe the 2nd ep.

mm04

I thought S1 of Graceland was pretty good for a summer show, then S2 went to shit in a hurry. I was done after maybe the 2nd ep.

I agree with you, except I kept watching! Now I just watch to see what ridiculous story arcs come up. I won't miss it when it gets axed though.

I agree with you, except I kept watching! Now I just watch to see what ridiculous story arcs come up. I won't miss it when it gets axed though.

I'm the same, it's one of those shows that's very mediocre and sometimes just bad but it is just so inoffensive that I don't mind watching it. That said I could have watched something significantly better with the time I have invested in it.

Craig Robinson has a tv show that just premiered?

Yes, apparently NBC were just burning it off at two episodes a week for three weeks but it seems it didn't do terribly and might actually have a shot of being renewed.

Edit: See here it actually has a surprisingly good demo and ok viewership.

alekth

I'm actually glad Haven is ending, and hopefully it gets a good conclusion. I can stand case-of-the-week shows/stretches for a very long time if the cast and stories are decent. However, once the main story arc becomes central and they start stretching and twisting it, I want a proper pace and not for the show to be run into the ground because they'd milk it until plot feels empty and everybody loses interest. Haven had already started moving closer to that state for me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If anyone is aware of any new and cool foreign series (Canada, UK, Australia, France, Denmark, etc. etc.) that are premiering this fall, shoot me a pm! :) I have a bunch already for the fall schedule/preview thread, but I don't know how comprehensive my list is.

I posted this in the Mr. Robot thread, but I figure a few people here are probably interested in the content, as well:

- Adalian for NY Mag: How Did a Show Like Mr. Robot End Up on USA?
Still, there’s a big gap between a network having hope and faith in a creator’s idea and the sort of all-in devotion USA has shown to Mr. Robot. In a rare though not unprecedented move, USA ordered the second season of Mr. Robot before a single episode had aired. It also launched a months-long marketing campaign on behalf of the series, treating it more like a feature-film release than a TV show — right down to screenings at South by Southwest and the Tribeca Film Festival. McCumber says seeing the pilot for the show last fall was a turning point.

“We all said, ‘Wow, we have something special here,’ from the acting to the way it looked, so cinematic. That’s when we decided we need to get this in front of as many people as possible.”

Not too long ago, getting a new USA Network show out to as many people as possible was a pretty straightforward proposition: The network could simply schedule it behind one of its biggest hits, and 5 million or more folks would almost automatically tune in. But in the era of DVRs and VOD, even USA’s biggest hits draw much of their audience well after their initial telecast on the network — and on-demand viewers don’t have the option of staying tuned for the new show. Likewise, because Mr. Robot is such a departure for the network, it was hardly a given that the fans of, say, Royal Pains would have much interest in USA’s new direction. McCumber and his team opted for a saturation approach, making the Mr. Robot pilot omnipresent: “We did a four-week run across every known nonlinear platform, including Facebook,” he says. More than 3 million people caught at least part of the pilot before it bowed on the network proper.

While that didn’t result in any sort of record-breaking ratings, it did allow Mr. Robot to cut through the summer clutter. “One of the biggest effects of prereleasing Mr. Robot on every platform imaginable before we aired was that we got early critical reviews of the show,” McCumber says. “And that started building the buzz. We also won the audience award at South by Southwest, and we premiered as an official selection at the Tribeca Film Festival. And all of that had a snowball effect.” Indeed, until this weekend’s premiere of Fear the Walking Dead, Mr. Robot was the top-rated new drama of the summer among viewers under 50. It’s also been overperforming on cable-VOD platforms, and — though USA doesn’t completely love this factoid — the show ranks behind only Game of Thrones and True Detective as the most-pirated series on cable.
As encouraging as Mr. Robot’s season-one performance has been, McCumber doesn’t seem ready to declare victory, either with the show or with USA’s attempt to evolve its brand. Like most networks these days, USA will use the months between the first and second seasons of Mr. Robot to build a bigger audience. “The job right now is to keep Mr. Robot in the public eye as much as possible, he says. “People are still in the discovery mode with it. We need to get it in front of people and make sure they are discovering the show.” To that end, USA will rerun season one of Mr. Robot on its own air, and on other platforms, with a sizable marketing push to tell people where they can catch up. (A deal with Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix also seems logical and likely, though McCumber declined to comment on any such possibility.) Looking ahead to next season, McCumber hints that USA is open to new ways of convincing viewers to watch Mr. Robot in as close to real time as possible while also serving the network’s advertiser clients. “We’re looking at whether there's a way for us to do a viewing experience that is sponsored but has less commercials, and maybe no commercials?” he says. “We did that when we released the pilot.”

The other challenge ahead for USA: leveraging the massive buzz around Mr. Robot to prove both to viewers and potential showrunners that Esmail’s genre-busting series wasn’t just some random bug that briefly messed up the network’s blue-sky machine. On the consumer front, USA has already begun heavy promotion for the Carlton Cuse–produced futuristic thriller Colony, debuting in January, and is working on a campaign for next year’s Queen of the South, which McCumber describes as a “female Scarface.” “At their core, both of these shows have this rebel with a cause, the unlikely hero,” he says. As for the creative community, McCumber says he and his team will continue to “be very clear about what we want to do,” pointing to the network’s very public commitment to Mr. Robot as a sort of calling card. “Having the critical acclaim and having everybody talking about Mr. Robot certainly helps us,” he says. “It sends a clear signal that USA Network is looking for programs that are unique.”
Much more via the link.

Any thoughts on the lack of buzz for Narcos which is up on Netflix? I haven't seen too much interest online and the GAF thread has been very quiet thus far.

Is it the subject matter? The use of subtitles? Was is mostly intended to drum up international interest? Are we in the duldrums of Summer and people aren't watching a lot of tv at the moment? Is there just too much television on? All of the above?

I'm digging USA's new direction. Hopefully they can keep the ball rolling with Colony (although Carlton Cuse...).
Are your concerns about Cuse related to Lost or something else?

In other news...
Deadline said:
‘Fear The Walking Dead’ Ratings Smash Cable Records With Live + 3 Results

Having solidly taken the top cable debut spot with its first round of ratings, it’s no surprise that Fear The Walking Dead has now ripped apart the previous Live + 3 records. With the DVR numbers now in, the August 23 premiere of The Walking Dead spinoff had 13.3 million total viewers and 8.5 million among adults 18-49. That not only jumps ahead of AMC’s other recent successful and previous record holding spinoff Better Call Saul among the key categories but seals FearTWD as the top cable offering of the summer.

Compared to its Live + Same Day numbers, the Dave Erickson showrun urban zombie apocalypse was up 32% in viewers and 36% among the 18-49s. The Live + 3 demo results for BCS were 6.1 million, a 40% jump from its already very impressive Live + SD numbers. With the Season 5 midseason return of TWD as its lead-in, the Breaking Bad spinoff had a total of 9.8 million viewers in Live + 3 results for its February 8 debut, a 42% rise. Among the 18-49s, The Walking Dead’s October 31, 2010 debut had a hefty 4.255 million in Live + 3 ratings. To add some further, and perhaps humbling perspective, the Season 5 debut of TWD last fall had a cable record busting 22.372 million total viewers and 14.523 million in the 18-49 demo in its Live + 3 results.

The mothership show returns for its Season 6 on October 11. Already renewed for a 15-episode second season, FearTWD’s first cycle runs for 6-episodes and wraps up on October 4.

Palmer_v1

Any thoughts on the lack of buzz for Narcos which is up on Netflix? I haven't seen too much interest online and the GAF thread has been very quiet thus far.

Is it the subject matter? The use of subtitles? Was is mostly intended to drum up international interest? Are we in the duldrums of Summer and people aren't watching a lot of tv at the moment? Is there just too much television on? All of the above?

Personally, it's been a bit of TV fatigue for me. I kinda prefer to marathon a series like this, but I haven't felt like devoting the time, and I know it will be there when I eventually get around to it. The subject matter also seems a bit depressing.

berzeli

Banned

I'm not entirely sure, over here in Sweden it's has been generating some fair amount of buzz quickly looking at the number of articles written, facebook likes, retweets, not a perfect measure but not much else to go on; more than something like Bojack but significantly less than OITNB. It's pretty in line with sense8 (nope, I still haven't gotten tired of pointing out how much that title sucks every time I write the fucking thing) as of now.

And I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that the US are particularly gung-ho when it comes to "foreign"-languages; if you sort the genre index at box office mojo by gross you'll find it pretty far down the list nestled between Mockumentary and Sports - Boxing.
I'm not sure though that the lack of buzz on your end is simply a US don't like non-US thing, the other things you mention probably do contribute to the radio silence as it were. It's an all of the above situation where I'm not sure what of the things you are suggesting is puling the interest away the hardest.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Any thoughts on the lack of buzz for Narcos which is up on Netflix?

The use of subtitles? Are we in the duldrums of Summer and people aren't watching a lot of tv at the moment?

For the quoted reasons, I think. It's heavily subtitled (foreign language stuff doesn't seem to be very popular with TV GAF) and people are just too busy with other things at the moment.

I personally don't think he's a very good writer and his track record after Lost is quite...spotty:

Bates Motel
The Strain
The Returned (US)

I've heard it said that he's only as good as his writing partner is, but I have no exposure to Ryan Condal (he was the creator of the well received but still passed on NBC pilot 'The Sixth Gun', as well as the screenwriter for the critically "meh" 'Hercules' movie starring The Rock) so I'm keeping my expectations for 'Colony' low.

Personally, it's been a bit of TV fatigue for me.

For me as well. I was feeling a bit of relief this week since several of the shows I watch are ending (and for once, they're not being immediately replaced by something else!) and was looking forward to some blessed free time (even I like to take a break from TV every now and then) and yet here comes Netflix dumping 10 more hours of TV onto my lap. :/ I'll get around to Narcos eventually, but I'm just not in the mood right now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Narcos, I saw a guy with a very impeccably groomed beard in Franklin Village last night near the UCB talking about how Narcos would be the "next big thing" and a "sprawling epic" so I'm just going to assume he is a crazy person or a Netflix exec.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Jason O’Mara curse strikes again! His USA series 'Complications' was cancelled.

(VH1 also cancelled their sole scripted series 'Hindsight' even though they renewed it earlier this year)

jason10mm

Gold Member
Although on the upside, if another Dresden Files series gets made somehow, she'd be available, and perfect to play Karrin Murphy.

You know, I shocks me that another try at this series hasn't happened. I actually liked the original series (hadn't read any Dresden at that point) but now that I have I'd be more interested in a series. Guess it would be a lot like Lost Girl, True Blood, Supernatural, and the other urban fantasy series out there but it is kind of the big daddy of them all.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I think there are a lot of factors. The Pablo Escobar story isn't exactly an untold one, so there's a certain limit of excitement to seeing it again.

There's also Netflix's own near complete refusal to advertise its show premieres, which really decreases the possibility of a buzzy debut.

That, and a number of other things, contribute to a real lack of urgency in watching most Netflix debuts unless you're inherently very excited for them. The mass drop of episodes minimizes the possibility of any online conversation by maximizing the different rates of viewing. If I'm already going to miss out on that communal element, maybe I should invest my immediate TV viewing time catching up on better, more noteworthy shows that I've missed in the past?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Narcos, I saw a guy with a very impeccably groomed beard in Franklin Village last night near the UCB talking about how Narcos would be the "next big thing" and a "sprawling epic" so I'm just going to assume he is a crazy person or a Netflix exec.

Someone asked me at an event tonight whether or not I have seen any of "Narco". I think this is momentum.

In other Netflix news, saw a few Bloodline awards billboards around town. They're for Ben Mendelsohn (Danny). I don't recall seeing much advertising when the show launched. Maybe Netflix figures if they win some awards it's easier for them to re-launch / re-promote the show.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
In other Netflix news, saw a few Bloodline awards billboards around town. They're for Ben Mendelsohn (Danny). I don't recall seeing much advertising when the show launched. Maybe Netflix figures if they win some awards it's easier for them to re-launch / re-promote the show.
Relevant: TV Insider's interview this week with Ted Sarandos
You have to market all of that.
A lot of the heavy lifting of getting audiences to the show is done with the user interface. We can launch a lot of these shows without spending any marketing. We can use the merchandising to draw the audience in. Marketing spends we do mostly to attract subscribers to join Netflix. The actual viewing of shows, the user interface is driving almost all of that. So marketing is good to plant a seed in the culture, awards season spending, so we see it a lot different in New York and LA.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
@ TBS' website layout:

rt1SqWx.gif

Whooter

Have there been any whispers regarding SyFy's friday night lineup?

Defiance ended this season on what could be a Series Finale, but both Killjoys and Dark Matter (which I really really like) both ended on cliffhangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom