• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2/Dota 2 voice actor: Valve wrapping up Dota 2 now for fall release

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
(Not new thread worthy and this is the de facto Dota 2 thread for now)

http://www.impetuouswindmills.com/2011/07/18/podcast-episode-41/

John Patrick Lowrie (TF2 sniper) was on a podcast and mentioned that he is doing voice work for seven Dota 2 characters, Pudge and Storm Spirit specifically. You can hear some sample voice work at around ~34 minutes. He also mentions that Valve is "wrapping up" the game and it should be ready in the fall.

Cptkrush

It's kind of cool, from a business standpoint, to see how they used an established game with a huge player base(TF2) as a way to experiment with how they will implement things in DotA 2. Adding a microtrans store, coaching, tutorials, cosmetic items and even drops; all things that will most likely show up in DotA 2. Valve works in mysterious ways.

Edit: Forgot, going F2P

Spookie

Gez said:
Give us option to play with no denys Valve, dont tell me to play LoL.

I'm curious about this too. To see how far it's moved from the source material. If they pull another TFC > TF2 I think my head might explode with awesome.

DaBuddaDa

I'm not surprised it didn't take them terribly long. They said they weren't changing very much, if anything, of the gameplay, and it's DotA so I assume it's just one single map like usual. Those two years of development must have been the first year doing the art and rebuilding the game on the Source engine, and the second year tweaking and building the multiplayer infrastructure.

kamspy

This is one of those games you're probably gonna have to play at launch or be stuck with nothing but pros after a couple months.

Orayn

Spookie said:
I'm curious about this too. To see how far it's moved from the source material. If they pull another TFC > TF2 I think my head might explode with awesome.
And it would cause some MOBA fans' heads to explode with rage. :p

Bowdz

Good to hear. If Diablo 3 hits this year, it will be one hell of a quarter for PC centric titles with BF3, Skyrim, Rage, Diablo 3, and DOTA 2 all coming out within a few months of one another.

Hayvic

Nirolak said:
You probably won't have to, unless you're into microtransaction content.

Everyone seems to assume it's going to be free to play on account of TF2 going that route recently and all the f2p updates done on the backend of Steam . Also considering the legacy of DOTA as a free mod it would make sense. Still I think it would be foolish of Valve not to charge the early adopters who are sure to buy the game at standard price. Then after a year or two it could go free 2 play for additional revenue.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Denying is in. There might be a no deny game mode or something to appease the dirty casuals, though.

Hayvic said:
Everyone seems to assume it's going to be free to play on account of TF2 going that route recently and all the f2p updates done on the backend of Steam . Also considering the legacy of DOTA as a free mod it would make sense. Still I think it would be foolish of Valve not to charge the early adopters who are sure to buy the game at standard price. Then after a year or two it could go free 2 play for additional revenue.

Well LoL exploded in popularity due to it being F2P, and S2 has talked about HoN going F2P when Dota 2 comes out. Charging for it would be foolish.

Dina

kamspy said:
This is one of those games you're probably gonna have to play at launch or be stuck with nothing but pros after a couple months.

Doubtful. 1,5 year after HoN and I still encounter people unable to grasp the most simplest of mechanics. Oftentimes on my team, too.

Hayvic

Archie said:
Well LoL exploded in popularity due to it being F2P, and S2 has talked about HoN going F2P when Dota 2 comes out. Charging for it would be foolish.

I think Valve could compete on account of them being Valve and having the Dota name.

Card Boy

Banned
Orayn said:
And it would cause some MOBA fans' heads to explode with rage. :p

I never said to remove it, i just said to give an option. HoN did almost everything right when allowing us to make custom games, but they never gave us the option to disable Denys.

Options are good.

"I think Valve could compete on account of them being Valve and having the Dota name."

A large chunk of the people that the dota name means something to are playing on pirated copies of WC3.

DaBuddaDa

Teknopathetic said:
A large chunk of the people that the dota name means something to are playing on pirated copies of WC3.
In order to play DotA you need to connect to Battle.net. How can you play if you don't have a valid cdkey?

Card Boy

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
In order to play DotA you need to connect to Battle.net. How can you play if you don't have a valid cdkey?

So basically we have named at least 4 ways to play without Battlenet

Hayvic

Teknopathetic said:

If this is in fact true I can see being F2P would lure a lot of new potential steam customers for new games. But do you guys think revenues could be larger with a f2p model if we ignore the auxiliary income of new steam customers?

MNC

Ellen McLain sounds so dreamy.

And stoned.

I guess that's just her thing though.

John sounds a bit like Hugh Laurie.

ARE THEY FAMILY!?!??

Einbroch

Banned
I'll play DotA 2 if the community is either nice or douchebag trolls are punished harshly.

Can't stand the trash talk and trolling in HoN and LoL. I don't mind a little trash talk, but throwing around insults all game just makes me want to quit multiplayer games altogether.

AAK

How often do we see a massively budgeted game have that has a release in 6 months with 0 media shown for it? Fall release is possible, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Syril

So from what I understand, they're just porting over everything from the WarCraft map wholesale? I guess that's the safest move, but I would have liked to see how Valve would have designed one of these games.

Dina

China is all Garena, but I think most Western players own a copy. Not all, but most. That said, WC3 is dirt-cheap (do you even need TFT?).

edit: I hope an area in where Icefrog takes a risk is the map. I like the genre, but the tri-lane map really has to go. Maybe even let go of the two team dynamic. I'd like to see 3v3v3 in a circular map. Or a map with 2 lanes, or 4. Or one big lane with 2 creepwaves and 2 smaller ones making a path to the jungle. Or other variants. Maybe not for competitive play, but not all needs to be about that.

"China is all Garena, but I think most Western players own a copy. Not all, but most. That said, WC3 is dirt-cheap (do you even need TFT?)."

I only said a large chunk, not all. And China most definitely qualifies as a large chunk.

Top Bottom