• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2/Dota 2 voice actor: Valve wrapping up Dota 2 now for fall release

Artanisix

The voice acting teaser for Storm Spirit is absolutely HILARIOUS. My friend and I were just talking how incredible it's going to be with high-quality voice acting for over 100 heroes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Most anticipated title. I'll be one of the millions breaking the day it releases on Steam.

On modes, expect everything that is in DOTA to be in their two. They mentioned before that the gameplay is going be more of a direct port. What they've been spending their time on was making it on the Source Engine + Community features. I would expect mods and new modes to come out down the road, but at launch it will be what you expect.

Those hoping for a good community. Better to get some gaffers lined up now. DOTA takes no prisoners.

jambo

Hayvic said:
If this is in fact true I can see being F2P would lure a lot of new potential steam customers for new games. But do you guys think revenues could be larger with a f2p model if we ignore the auxiliary income of new steam customers?

Maybe not, but I don't think Valve care tbh.

Gabe's money baths and all that.

Khal_B

Einbroch said:
I'll play DotA 2 if the community is either nice or douchebag trolls are punished harshly.

Can't stand the trash talk and trolling in HoN and LoL. I don't mind a little trash talk, but throwing around insults all game just makes me want to quit multiplayer games altogether.

Yeah, if you don't perform up to standard, the majority of the community for these types of games tend to react harshly.

Dina

Teknopathetic said:
"China is all Garena, but I think most Western players own a copy. Not all, but most. That said, WC3 is dirt-cheap (do you even need TFT?)."

I only said a large chunk, not all. And China most definitely qualifies as a large chunk.

That it does. Game is crazy popular there. Best teams from there too.

MNC

MNC said:
Ellen McLain sounds so dreamy.

And stoned.

I guess that's just her thing though.

John sounds a bit like Hugh Laurie.

ARE THEY FAMILY!?!??
edit: D'oh it's Lowrie.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Einbroch said:
I'll play DotA 2 if the community is either nice or douchebag trolls are punished harshly.

Can't stand the trash talk and trolling in HoN and LoL. I don't mind a little trash talk, but throwing around insults all game just makes me want to quit multiplayer games altogether.
Never going to happen.

Expecting this to be f2p and I hope they have like TF2 announcer packs.

Corto

Einbroch said:

Gabe got you covered!

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1192/Gabe-Newell-on-Valve

The industry has this broken model, which is one price for everyone. That’s actually a bug, and it’s something that we want to solve through our philosophy of how we create entertainment products.

What you really want to do is create the optimal pricing service for each customer and see what’s best for them. We need to give customers, all of them, a robust set of options regarding how they pay for their content.

An example is – and this is something as an industry we should be doing better – is charging customers based on how much fun they are to play with. Some people, when they join a server, a ton of people will run with them. Other people, when they join a server, will cause others to leave. We should have a way of capturing that. We should have a way of rewarding the people who are good for our community.

So, in practice, a really likable person in our community should get Dota 2 for free, because of past behaviour in Team Fortress 2. Now, a real jerk that annoys everyone, they can still play, but a game is full price and they have to pay an extra hundred dollars if they want voice.

That’s just one example. Another is how much people want to pay for items. Some people are happy paying a dollar. They’ll pay a dollar over and over and over again, others want to be different, others want to run servers and create mods.

Each one of these people should represent a different monetisation scheme for the community as a whole.

Even if this was used just as an hypothetic scenario it shows that Valve is concerned about that too... I trust they'll figure something out.

Syril

Corto said:
Gabe got you covered!

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1192/Gabe-Newell-on-Valve

Even if this was used just as an hypothetic scenario it shows that Valve is concerned about that too... I trust they'll figure something out.

I think a good solution would be to have a thing like TF2 and Left 4 Dead where you have a bunch of pre-generated messages to pick from. That way, players who act like dicks can have their chat abilities removed but still be able to coordinate with their team.

Kyaw

Artanisix said:
The voice acting teaser for Storm Spirit is absolutely HILARIOUS. My friend and I were just talking how incredible it's going to be with high-quality voice acting for over 100 heroes.

Can you share this with us?

ampere

If I understand this right, DotA was a Warcraft 3 mod, made for free. DotA2 is a stand alone game made by a similar crew, but now hired by Valve? Almost identical to the Team Fortress -> TF2 situation?

DaBuddaDa

ciaossu said:
If I understand this right, DotA was a Warcraft 3 mod, made for free. DotA2 is a stand alone game made by a similar crew, but now hired by Valve? Almost identical to the Team Fortress -> TF2 situation?
Pretty much, except afaik it's only one guy who joined Valve, IceFrog, who had previously been the caretaker/developer of the DotA-Allstars project.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
ciaossu said:

It's complicated. As far as I understand it goes like this (feel free to correct): Eul creates Defense of the Ancients -> Guinsoo and Pendragon take over from Eul, leave later on to work on League of Legends -> Icefrog inherits the game and works on it until he is hired by Valve to work on Dota 2. That's the very basic gist of it (I think), there is also S2 working on Heroes of Newerth and internet rumorzzzzzzzzzzzzz that Icefrog helped work on that game.

eosos

Banned
Archie said:
It's complicated. As far as I understand it goes like this (feel free to correct): Eul creates Defense of the Ancients -> Guinsoo and Pendragon take over from Eul, leave later on to work on League of Legends -> Icefrog inherits the game and works on it until he is hired by Valve to work on Dota 2. That's the very basic gist of it (I think), there is also S2 working on Heroes of Newerth and internet rumorzzzzzzzzzzzzz that Icefrog helped work on that game.
Well Icefrog still is working on the original DotA.

Syril

kamspy said:
Well, this one merges the Valve fan base with the F2P DOTA fanbase, which in my best estimation is going to be a slum.

Well, TF2's atmosphere is pretty laid back from my experience. Left 4 Dead is the one with problems.

Jenga

Banned
and dota is as much team oriented as l4d...

anyways, you guys think they're gonna do new champ releases?

GeekyDad

Well timed. After almost eight years with this fucking game, I think I've finally had enough. Good time for Valve to take over and hopefully run it into complete "elo" oblivion.

Karkador

Banned
Dota 2 would be a dream if it cultivated the same laid back community that TF2 has. I can't stand the uppity, serious-business attitudes on the other games.

I <3 Valve to death but if this game sticks to the DOTA mechanics of denial and the whole team serving one carry I will be switching back to LoL soon enough.

Also, I REALLLLY hope they go with a comical art style where classic DOTA rip-off heroes can co-exist with TF2s Engineer as a hero along with HL's Dog.

Also I think they will pretty much be following Riot's buisness plan which means free game, and a continuum of new champion/hero releases... also hats aka. skins :D

Syril

GeekyDad said:
Well timed. After almost eight years with this fucking game, I think I've finally had enough. Good time for Valve to take over and hopefully run it into complete "elo" oblivion.

Yeah that always puzzled me. Elo is designed to rate individuals, right? How is that valid in team games?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Ghost Dad the Whip said:
Also I think they will pretty much be following Riot's buisness plan which means free game, and a continuum of new champion/hero releases... also hats aka. skins :D

Hopefully all the heroes are F2P so Riot can't charge 6300 IP for every new character.

Artanisix

Ghost Dad the Whip said:
I <3 Valve to death but if this game sticks to the DOTA mechanics of denial and the whole team serving one carry I will be switching back to LoL soon enough.

If you want League mechanics, I would say you probably want to stick with League. Denies are a core part of the gameplay.

Can you share this with us?

Link in the OP, at about 35~ minutes. It's a LOT funnier if you actually know how Storm Spirit plays in DotA.

Jenga

Banned
Why would you want deny removed anyways?

I've always been a LoL guy and going into HoN raw has kicked my ass, but deny really changes the laning game around. LoL's laning phase is calm and relaxed compared to dota's. I can understand why some might want it gone, but it's an important part of the genre.

Angry Fork

Spookie said:
Two Valve games in one year? I feel spoiled.

Can't wait though.
Would trade Portal 2 and Dota 2 for HL3 in an instant. Valve definitely upping their productivity but the lack of new HL in my life is taking it's toll on my sanity.

ampere

Angry Fork said:
Would trade Portal 2 and Dota 2 for HL3 in an instant. Valve definitely upping their productivity but the lack of new HL in my life is taking it's toll on my sanity.
Yes. Not just your sanity :lol

:(

I'm trying to forget about it so that it can be super amazing when announced, trying :p

wutwutwut

re HL3: to be honest, I think Valve knows how high people's expectations for it are and don't think they have great enough ideas to fulfil them right now. Hopefully soon, though...

Alex

I just hope they have a really good front end for it like they said. With the community functions and tutorials and stuff. It'd be nice to get some friends in on this as well.

I think I'm the only person who likes Valve but doesn't really care about Half-Life. :p I want DOTA2 and then I want L4D3.

Angry Fork said:
I feel the same. I want HL3 now, you hear me Valve?!

Never played DOTA so I hope this game surprises me.

Stuff I didn't know:

~28:40 They talk bout a bickering couple at the end of Death Toll in L4D1. I never knew they recorded something like that!

They also mentioned they already finished voice work for additional content for Portal 2.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
In my experience, eliminating all-chat from a Dota game would solve a lot of the raging/shit-talking/complaining that goes on in a match. It's almost always someone desperately trying to explain why they're pro but their teammates are noobs to the enemy team on its way to victory.

Symphonic

EviLore said:
In my experience, eliminating all-chat from a Dota game would solve a lot of the raging/shit-talking/complaining that goes on in a match. It's almost always someone desperately trying to explain why they're pro but their teammates are noobs to the enemy team on its way to victory.

I feel like removing all chat from an arena-type game isn't the best idea.

Neki

Door2Dawn said:
I hope not. Denying is a stupid mechanic imo.
almost as stupid as last hitting.

oh wait, last hitting isn't stupid, and neither is denying. they both do the same thing, lane control.

In my experience, eliminating all-chat from a Dota game would solve a lot of the raging/shit-talking/complaining that goes on in a match. It's almost always someone desperately trying to explain why they're pro but their teammates are noobs to the enemy team on its way to victory
I'm not going to lie, I usually get more shit from teammates calling me bad than trash talkers on the other team. It's usually the bad/arrogant team mates that make the game worse, not the opponents.

Card Boy

Banned
All you need in the chat for these games are:

MIA
SS
miss
i'm
b
back
push
bot
mia
gank
care

You can mix and match any of the above words!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ultimoo said:
I'm not going to lie, I usually get more shit from teammates calling me bad than trash talkers on the other team. It's usually the bad/arrogant team mates that make the game worse, not the opponents.

Absolutely. They're usually talking shit in all-chat rather than team chat though, because they want to provide an excuse to the other team for why they're losing.

Khal_B

EviLore said:
Absolutely. They're usually talking shit in all-chat rather than team chat though, because they want to provide an excuse to the other team for why they're losing.

LOL, I'm glad you brought this up actually. I find it hilarious when the other team starts raging against their own team-mate for everyone to see. I'm quick to type: "dude, we don't care", which of course makes them rage even harder. I love it.

Top Bottom