• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari is teasing Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 on Facebook (don't get excited)

Mik2121

Wu7Uy.gif

Oh, and yeah. Screw EA / Atari :(
I was so hyped when I saw the thread title. Then I got worried when I thought it'd be on iOS but when I saw the screenshot it looked great... until someone noticed the top bar :(

Probably because mobile gaming has to prove itself as something other than an alternate method of turning people into gambling addicts. Until then, reception is going to be cynical as hell.

Amen. I am hopeful that Atari makes the IAPs optional, rather than as a way to fix a broken game system. I'm fine with it just expediting the unlocking of different rides, but if you have to pay in order to be successful then that's a whole different problem.

I don't think anybody has a problem that this game exists, just that a PC sequel doesn't. You could make the greatest Half-Life 3 mobile game in the world, but it would still be incredibly bitter news if that's all Valve gave us.

Yes sir I completely agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer a PC sequel in the vein of the first two, but I honestly didn't see the series coming back at all. So basically we are left in this current situation of take it or leave it.

Mikey Jr.

If you told me RC4 would have been a F2P game on mobile, I would have punched you square in your ugly fucking teeth.

Yes sir I completely agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer a PC sequel in the vein of the first two, but I honestly didn't see the series coming back at all. So basically we are left in this current situation of take it or leave it.

Yeah, I don't think it's likely we'll be seeing a true sequel any time soon either. But that thread title gave me a spark of hope. It didn't last long :(

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Lame, lame lame.

I'd love a real RCT4 on PC, this? The world doesn't really need ANOTHER time management IAP whale farm.

Dezzy

Yet another game I used to love is getting brought back in the worst way possible. Dungeon Keeper, Breath of Fire, Plants vs Zombies, RollerCoaster Tycoon,and soon even Gauntlet. So many shattered dreams. Old fans don't want them, and new fans don't remember them.

ElRenoRaven

And people wonder why I refuse to call this company Atari. They do nothing but bastardize the name of that company. Infogrames will never be Atari. RCT series is now officially dead to me. Shame I loved the others.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I refuse to believe Chris Sawyer had anything to do with actually developing this game just as I know Atari isn't even Atari at all. His name has to be on it just because he created the franchise so he gets a paycheck. I really hope he had no input on this direction. And if he did, I would hope he fought against it tooth and nail.

At least I have my $5 copies of RCT and RCT2 from GOG.

whitehawk

Banned
It's funny how much it even looks like a free-to-play game. Like F2P has its own art style at this point.
Can't find it, but there's an imgur album that compiles screenshots of tons of FP2 games from their app page, and they're all the same exact layout, but pirates instead of mermaids instead of farmers instead of modern military instead of animals instead of etc etc...

Toxi

Banned
I remember watching my friend play Roller Coaster Tycoon. It was funny because sometimes we tried to play legit and sometimes we tried to fuck things up as thoroughly as possible. Sucks that this is what the game has come to.

I+WANT+TO+GET+OFF+MR.BONES+WILD+RIDE+_35cb4bf0fe4fe6142df528e82700cc1f.png

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The trailer has 18 likes and 579 dislikes. Reaction is strongly negative from everyone it seems.

I'm thinking despite this negative reaction from the core gamers, this could be quite profitable for them if they do it right. I'm guessing this is F2P

whitehawk

Banned
So let's look at the top bar we get from the screenshot.

SuTsJay.png

We see:

- Coins
- Tickets
- Experience
- Park Rating/Guest Satisfaction

They mention leader boards, so I'm guessing experience has something to do with that, possibly park rating as well. RCT 1/2 also had park rating, which was just a way of measuring your success (How happy your guests were, how clean it was, how safe it was etc.)

Now we have Coins, and tickets.

i5z0hK2.png

From the trailer, we can see that you can earn tickets by inviting friends to play the game with that button at the bottom right. We also see stars by friends names, which look to be their experience level. You can send them gifts, which is unclear what that means right now. It also says "Exchange up to 5 free Tickets with friends everyday!". Still a little confused on what this means as we don't know what tickets to yet.

UvFetop.jpg

Now for coins, we see icons popping up and bouncing above attractions. Maaybe you can spend coins to maybe upgrade the attraction. But what does an upgrade do? There is no such thing as an upgrade in RCT 1/2. I think there's a chance that it means a guest has bought something there, and you just earned some coins. There are similar icons with wrenches above rides which I assume means it is broken, and I can't see them charging people to fix rides. In the top bar I posted, we see "17,500" coins, which could be a lot, or a little. A different part of the video shows the player has "72,460" coins. We also see a + sign next to it (as well as tickets) which will probably mean you can use real money to buy more coins and tickets. I really hope that we can play the full game without spending a penny.

Wiktor

Atari:
iaREPbE.gif

Ehh...my only hope is that this will piss off somebody badly enough to make their own proper spritual successor for PC.

Dicer

Banned
Let's make generic mobile game 232,350,843,984 out of a beloved franchise like everyone else seems to be doing...go go ATARI

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think Atari's angle here is that it's hoping the game will prove to be modestly successful in the short term so it can revisit the sale of the Rollercoaster Tycoon IP and receive the $3.5m it was hoping to get in the first place, if not more, before people inevitably move on to the Next New Shiny Thing.

It's a gamble that's probably not going to pay off.

On both Atari's official facebook page and the official Rollercoaster Tycoon page, a tease was posted today with the hashtag #‎RCT4M‬ with this link: http://giphy.com/gifs/puW4H9o7TuzXa

Its a looping image of a rollercoaster that someone on reddit posted a year ago.

Guess the M means its a mobile game. The bigger question is, why is there still an Atari? I would love for another Rollercoaster Tycoon game but the company exists in limbo. What resources do they have to make anything?
Your next attraction will be ready in 21 hours. Use a golden banana to build straight away!
Your golden banana count is 0, click to buy more!

martygoldberg

Neo Member
We are on the 6th gen Atari.

Original Atari
Time Warner Atari
Jack Tramiel Atari
Hasbro Atari
Infogrames Atari
post bankruptcy Infogrames Atari under different owners?

Actually that's a little off. There's two separate branches, plus it was Warner Communications when Warner owned it.

Here's the tracking of the two branches. There's the original ownership:

Original Atari (Atari Inc., 1972)
Warner Communications Atari Inc. (1976)

Then the splitting happened in 1984.

First the Consumer Division's IP and assets were sold to Jack Tramiel and then had a succession of owners, which we'll call the "Consumer Division" tree:

Atari Corp. (Tramiel, 1984)
JTS Atari Corp. (1996)
Atari Interactive (Hasbro 1998)
Infogrames (2001)
Atari Inc. (formerly Infogrames NA) created in 2003
Atari Interactive (formerly Hasbro Interactive) created in 2003
Infogrames rebranded to Atari SA (2009)​

It should be noted that during JTS the entire company was paired down to a single person at a single desk. No physical company existed any more. What was sold to Hasbro and continued to survive today are purely paper assets (IP and brand name). That's all that continues to exist now.

The second tree is the Coin Division and it's assets.

Atari Games (Warner Communications, 1984)
Atari Games (NAMCO, 1985)
Atari Games (Employee buyout, 1987)
Tengen Games subsidiary created for publishing console games.​
Time Warner Interactive (Warner, 1993)
Atari Games (WMS, 1996)
Atari Games (Midway Games, 1998. Midway spun off from WMS with all other video game assets including Atari Games)
Midway Games West (Atari Games renamed to Midway Games West, 2000)
Midway Games West Closed (2003)
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Midway goes bankrupt, sells off it's major IP to Time/Warner, 2009)

Eurogamer review

There's no consistency to any of it, from the interface to the internal logic. I inadvertently turned my ice cream parlour into a hot dog stand while swiping to browse a menu, yet I had to confirm that yes, I really did want to get rid of that lone tree sitting in the middle of an otherwise empty square where I was planning to put a new attraction. At one point, I tapped on a speech bubble to see what one of my customers was thinking. "I wish they had a chain carousel ride," he said, as he walked past my chain carousel ride. Later, I realised there was no way anyone could reach the entrance to my second coaster without crossing the track. It wasn't long before queues were forming outside and it became my highest-rated ride.

And then there's the now-mandatory Facebook integration. I resisted the temptation at first, even with all the wheedling encouragement, but eventually relented for the sake of the review, not least because soon I was being nagged by a new goal. "It pays to be social," it claimed, and it evidently did - I earned a hefty wodge of cash and 15 tickets, the game promising it would only need to access my friends list and my profile in return. That was a lie, as I found out when I completed a hot dog stand, and I was suddenly whisked out of the game and into the Facebook app. "Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile would like to post publicly to Facebook for you." I opted to skip the game's offer to fill my feed with its nonsense. It didn't seem to take the hint, dragging me back when I completed another ride.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile's problems are pervasive, but most of them stem from a fundamental - perhaps wilful - misunderstanding of what made Rollercoaster Tycoon great in the first place. Rather than empowering you to build the park of your dreams, instead it invites you to clutter the place up with bonsai bushes and lampposts, without for a minute considering that you might not want to. Freedom comes eventually, as you level up and gain access to more rides and facilities, but at what cost? You either spend hours upon hours gaining hollow praise for your obedience or spend real money on virtual resources. And surely no amount of positive reinforcement can compensate for the steady deterioration of your soul.

About the only thing I can say in favour of Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile is that it accurately captures the experience of visiting a theme park: it costs too much to get in, the stalls are all overpriced, you have to wait ages for all the rides and the whole experience will leave you feeling decidedly nauseous.

1/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-18-rollercoaster-tycoon-4-mobile-review

notBald

"Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile would like to post publicly to Facebook for you." I opted to skip the game's offer to fill my feed with its nonsense. It didn't seem to take the hint, dragging me back when I completed another ride.

How nice of you to ask, and ask, and ask.

Is there a name for games like this yet? Nagware? Spamware?

Nagware is a great name for this game. I deleted it when it wouldn't stop asking me to post to Facebook. I wish I could get a refund. STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME!

Top Bottom