• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

WolstatSun said:
With the season done, my call is the Raptors trade the pick if they don't move up from 7 or 8.

I like Valanciunas a lot, but he's not making the Raptors contenders for the playoffs in the next two years so that would be a pretty bad move. Then again, just some random reporter, but their coach seems pretty focused on getting to the playoffs next year as well. Their talent level isn't good enough for it though.

Jonm1010

Banned
I like around 20-25 guys in this draft, just not sure anyone other than Davis is worth a top 3 pick. I think Beal could maybe be an all-star, Drummond could in like 6 years, and MKG could if he learns how to shoot and doesn't die in the NBA, and Robinson is good, but I don't think those guys are top 3 level.

I kind of agree with this.

Although I didnt watch enough college basketball this year to really comment on guys like Perry Jones, Sullinger, Tyler Zeller, or Henson. Guys that are apparently expected to go near our Minny pick.....I just hope we dont fuck up this draft because our team healthy wont pick high like this again.

How so? It's only odds. They could still get a top 3 pick. It just would guarantee they would be trying.

Cats trying is straight trash. All that arrangement will do is make teams like Nola and Sac be more strategetic with their tanking and it would screw legit shit teams by making it less likely to get the best players. I have no problem with teams tanking as is, cause the teams that are truly aren't going anywhere.

The only kind of tanking that needs to be fixed is The Spurs tanking for Duncan type tanks.

Jonm1010

Banned
I don't care that much for the top aside from Davis but there's a lot of talent in the first round. Maybe only one or two franchise guys but a whole bunch of potential impact starters/fringe all-star players.

hmmm, what are your thoughts on who some of those franchise guys later in the first round are?

Frankly ive only really payed attention to the guy projected to go in the first 13 picks and some of them only very minimally.

pilonv1

I like Valanciunas a lot, but he's not making the Raptors contenders for the playoffs in the next two years so that would be a pretty bad move. Then again, just some random reporter, but their coach seems pretty focused on getting to the playoffs next year as well. Their talent level isn't good enough for it though.

Raptors could get really lucky if a guy like Barnes slips to #7/8.

Cats trying is straight trash. All that arrangement will do is make teams like Nola and Sac be more strategetic with their tanking and it would screw legit shit teams by making it less likely to get the best players. I have no problem with teams tanking as is, cause the teams that are truly aren't going anywhere.

The only kind of tanking that needs to be fixed is The Spurs tanking for Duncan type tanks.

Would be hard to be strategic there.

And I'm fine with "screwing" the worst of the worst. The draft is supposed to be a good chance to help bad teams, but no one says it has to help the worst teams. Let shitty run teams rot.

hmmm, what are your thoughts on who some of those franchise guys later in the first round are?

Frankly ive only really payed attention to the guy projected to go in the first 13 picks and some of them only very minimally.

I meant only a franchise guy or two in the whole first round (Davis and maybe one of those other Top 5 guys like Beal or someone).

Idiots (Chad Ford) overhyped the draft because they thought guys like Drummond and Perry Jones would pan out and because they didn't they've been trashing the entire class since the tournament. I definitely think it'll be way better than the last two years overall.

Oh god. Just tuned in and theres a Garth Brooks song montage dedicated to Kings Fans?

untitled-12r2j07.gif

Jonm1010

Banned
I meant only a franchise guy or two in the whole first round (Davis and maybe one of those other Top 5 guys like Beal or someone).

I think it'll be a less top heavy version of the 2008 draft.

Gotcha.

I think Davis could definitely be dominant. I also like Beal.

Unlike a lot of others I dont hate Barnes. I dont think he'll be an allstar but in the right system I think he can be a solid scorer and with the right coach a competent defender.

Murphy is The Lakers leading scorer.

Troy Murphy.

I remember when many Hornets fans were pissed they didnt get Murphy in the Collison for Ariza trade.

Not that I actually want Ariza anymore, but at least he still has some worth.

At the very least this draft will produce a bunch of solid starters and number 2's.

Even dudes like Barnes will be solid starters/contributors.

giri

Why? Why should the worst team in the league have the best odds for the 1st pick? Let it be the 4th worst team. A team that's bad but not fucking trash.

Again, a dumb statement.

Why 4th? why randomly choose 4th? lets use other dumb metrics.

Team with the worst crowd attendance! no no, team with the best cheer leaders!

The point of a draft based on your record is to make sure talent goes to where its needed the most to try and make sure every team in the league has a chance of being relevant. The lotto is designed to try and discourage shameless tanking.

If you want to be picky, it's the second part of that, that is broken, not the first.

The worst team in the league should get the most talent.

That was such a Lakers-fan statement to make.

How do you stop tanking without also stopping the reward for the worst of the worst?

Again, a dumb statement.

Why 4th? why randomly choose 4th? lets use other dumb metrics.

Team with the worst crowd attendance! no no, team with the best cheer leaders!

The point of a draft based on your record is to make sure talent goes to where its needed the most to try and make sure every team in the league has a chance of being relevant. The lotto is designed to try and discourage shameless tanking.

If you want to be picky, it's the second part of that, that is broken, not the first.

The worst team in the league should get the most talent.

4th is arbitrary, but it feels like a good position to start from. And the only metric i used was wins...

Re: bold - yes, but the problem is teams TANK which means this isn't what actually happens. And again, the worst records would still have a shot at a top 3 pick. Just a lesser shot.

How do you stop tanking without also stopping the reward for the worst of the worst?

You can't stop tanking....without it being unfair to legit shitty teams...like the Bobcats.

Hell this league has too many shit teams as it is. The market on star level talent is small and a team won't be shit until they get a star.

If anything the Lottery system is broken in a sense that the worst team often gets shafted.

I don't remember the last worst team that got the best pick. The Cavs got Kyrie with the Clippers pick.

The Cats weren't tanking, I mean they lost 13 more games than the next worst team, they suck. Wiz went on a 6 game winning streak.

Cavs legit suck, Nola didnt tank they have a bunch of d leaguers and Gordan was injured most of the year. Sac is a party platter of potential but no current talent outside of DMC. Nets are ass and are losing DWill, so will suck harder next year, raps are ass.

I mean, god, why reward Raps and not Bobcats, you can't cite poor management, they've both been poorly managed and it could be argued that the cats are better managed, same goes for the nets.

giri

4th is arbitrary, but it feels like a good position to start from. And the only metric i used was wins...

Re: bold - yes, but the problem is teams TANK which means this isn't what actually happens. And again, the worst records would still have a shot at a top 3 pick. Just a lesser shot.

So basically, fuck teams that have no talent, yall should never get the best player?

Awesome.

Then you'll have retarded tanking strats based on people trying to make sure they have the highest lotto win % for the 4th pick instead of the first. It won't prevent teams from throwing games. Lots of games.

It doesn't solve a thing and defeats the purpose of a draft entirely.

charsace

Anyone got gifs of Jordan from the game?

NBA should just do the draft by record and be done with it. Or they could make the lotto draw smaller.

You can't stop tanking....without it being unfair to legit shitty teams...like the Bobcats.

Hell this league has too many shit teams as it is. The market on star level talent is small and a team won't be shit until they get a star.

If anything the Lottery system is broken in a sense that the worst team often gets shafted.

I don't remember the last worst team that got the best pick. The Cavs got Kyrie with the Clippers pick.

Well, the lotto isn't designed for the worst team to get the #1 pick. And I think that's good. It's designed to have the best individual shot to get it and a high probability of top 3.

The draft is supposed to give the best talent to the bad teams, but the notion that it should be in reverse order misses the beat. The Bobcats are an outlier, but generally speaking the difference in the say bottom 6 teams isn't that much. Why design a system that would include more tanking?

Which is why either proposal I gave would mostly disincenticize tanking but still provide the bottom 6 with good odds to improve.

So basically, fuck teams that have no talent, yall should never get the best player?

Do you read? I said to affect the ODDS of getting the 1st pick. Not the 1st pick.

Then you'll have retarded tanking strats based on people trying to make sure they have the highest lotto win % for the 4th pick instead of the first. It won't prevent teams from throwing games. Lots of games.

Do you know how fucking hard that would be. Stop and think for once.

NawidA

Banned
Maybe they should just get rid of the draft entirely. Anyone over 19 can go wherever they want (and get the contract they want, no restrictions). The basketball draft just isn't working.

Vire

Maybe they should just get rid of the draft entirely. Anyone over 19 can go wherever they want (and get the contract they want, no restrictions). The basketball draft just isn't working.

That's beyond idiotic.

Why would any player want to go to a small market team?

The Cats weren't tanking, I mean they lost 13 more games than the next worst team, they suck. Wiz went on a 6 game winning streak.

Cavs legit suck, Nola didnt tank they have a bunch of d leaguers and Gordan was injured most of the year. Sac is a party platter of potential but no current talent outside of DMC. Nets are ass and are losing DWill, so will suck harder next year, raps are ass.

I mean, god, why reward Raps and not Bobcats, you can't cite poor management, they've both been poorly managed and it could be argued that the cats are better managed, same goes for the nets.

The Bobcats would still be guaranteed a top 4 pick...in no way am I saying for them to get the 14th.

The Cats wouldn't have let Diaw go if they weren't tanking. Cavs would have won more games and would Nola without a tank. They sat Kaman for no reason as well as others. Nets sat DWILL.

Why reward putting out the worst possible product? I'm not saying to hurt them, but give more incentive to win. And again, Bobcats are an outlier. To design a system around an outlier is near-sighted.

giri

Do you know how fucking hard that would be. Stop and think for once.

I did, i'm replying to someone who obviously isn't thinking about what they're posting, but they had a thought, so put it on the internet for all to see.

This is why i don't bother replying to a lot of your shit. You don't ever want to discuss what you post, your idea is dumb, it's flawed, goes against the nature of what a draft is and the whole purpose of a draft.

Everyones thinking it, i'm one of the few pointing it out.

But i'm done with it.

Go be free.

The Bobcats would still be guaranteed a top 4 pick...in no way am I saying for them to get the 14th.

The Cats wouldn't have let Diaw go if they weren't tanking. Cavs would have won more games and would Nola without a tank. They sat Kaman for no reason as well as others. Nets sat DWILL.

Why reward putting out the worst possible product? I'm not saying to hurt them, but give more incentive to win. And again, Bobcats are an outlier. To design a system around an outlier is near-sighted.

There's no future in Diaw, DWill played in tons of losses and is gone next year. Nola seems like the only team with a decent roster who are bottom of the barrel.

Maybe do Worst team gets best odds of #1 and give 2-6 an additional first round pick thats untradeable.

I would say Nola is more of an outlier than The Cats.

I did, i'm replying to someone who obviously isn't thinking about what they're posting, but they had a thought, so put it on the internet for all to see.

This is why i don't bother replying to a lot of your shit. You don't ever want to discuss what you post, your idea is dumb, it's flawed, goes against the nature of what a draft is and the whole purpose of a draft.

Everyones thinking it, i'm one of the few pointing it out.

But i'm done with it.

Go be free.

All you've said "it's dumb" and that's it.

If you're the 3rd worst team, losing barely helps you and winning helps a lot. If you're 5th worst, losing can help but you jeopardize dropping to the 3rd spot. 4th worst can't possibly know whether to win or to lose.

it is not easy in an 82 game season to sit on a "sweet spot." You clearly aren't thinking it through. You might end up with a game or 2 in the final week, but not an entire 2 weeks stretch or more of it.

There's no future in Diaw, DWill played in tons of losses and is gone next year. Nola seems like the only team with a decent roster who are bottom of the barrel.

Maybe do Worst team gets best odds of #1 and give 2-6 an additional first round pick thats untradeable.

I would say Nola is more of an outlier than The Cats.

Point is they could have won more games.

Nola isn't much of an outlier. Every year some team get decimated by injuries.

An additional 1st rounder after the 1st round?

Saturday (EST times): PHI-CHI 1PM, NYK-MIA 3:30, ORL-IND 7:00, DAL-OKC 9:30 Sunday: UTA-SAS 1PM, DEN-LAL 3:30, BOS-ATL 7PM LAC-MEM 9:30

The schedule for the Lakers’ first-round playoff series against the Denver Nuggets has been spread out from Sunday to Sunday next week …
Game 1: Sunday at Staples Center, 12:30 p.m. (all times Pacific), ABC
Game 2: Tuesday at Staples Center, 7:30 p.m., TNT
Game 3: Friday at Pepsi Center, 7:30 p.m., ESPN
Game 4: May 6 at Pepsi Center, 6:30 p.m., TNT
Game 5 (if necessary): May 8 at Staples Center, TBD, TBD
Game 6 (if necessary): May 10 at Pepsi Center, TBD, TBD
Game 7 (if necessary): May 12 at Staples Center, TBD, TNT

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The only way these teams can get better is if they change their names to the Los Angeles Lakers, and hope free agents fall for it.

Either that or have Stern rig it for them like he did for the Bulls.

Top Bottom