• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone better pick it up, at least for one more season that wraps everything up.

Yeah, I was kind of gutted when I read it had been canceled.

WSJ did an article on it, and the "reasoning" behind the cancellation is pretty much pure BS (fans are too old (50+), not part of the "hip, young" demographic of ~48 that the network averages).

Sounded to me like the real reason was that it was getting too popular, A&E didn't have any stake in it at all, and they cancelled it out of spite. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some negotiating by A&E to try and get a stake, Warner said no, and A&E was like "fine, you're cancelled then".

There's still hope, though. Deadline is saying that Warner is prepping a pitch, and Netflix and Amazon are among the ones willing to hear it.

In my opinion, Netflix would be great. Netflix is also buying up broadcast TV shows and making their own like crazy these days, it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine them buying up Longmire to get some of those 5.6 million fans (especially since A&E said that Longmire fans are largely in the 50+ bracket, which would most likely contain new subscribers for Netflix).

(Edit: the WSJ article got log-in/subscriber locked, sorry about that. WSJ was the only article with A&E's reasoning that I've seen thus far.)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I had totally forgotten about Heroes Reborn airing this season, I do wonder how that will end up being (and doing).
Also Continuum BETTER get renewed given how S3 ended >:|

On another note, I think this is my last year doing the cancellation thread. Not for love of you all, but it seems wise to slowly begin my retirement from TV-GAF. I'll probably still try to lurk as I ween myself off these threads, but that's the long-term plan.
Makes sense given the circumstance, still sad because your posts and comments about TV have always been interesting and insightful :(

Netflix Original The Blacklist is now up on Netflix.
LOL
It does remind me that Netflix has been slapping and removing the "Netflix Original" logo from shows somewhat randomly (I've seen it on The Fall, Clone Wars, Borgias, removed from Dusk Till Dawn)... any idea what is going on there?

I had totally forgotten about Heroes Reborn airing this season, I do wonder how that will end up being (and doing).

Heroes Reborn is coming next season and we should've heard something about Continuum last month, don't think things are looking too good... :(

Isn't it pretty rare for Canadian shows to last more than 2-3 seasons? I thought a poster that was familiar with their process had said something along those lines before. I can't recall too well but it was something along the lines of, the way the funding works.. 2 seasons is pretty much a given but more than 3 isn't likely unless it's a smash hit?

Makes sense given the circumstance, still sad because your posts and comments about TV have always been interesting and insightful :(

LOL
It does remind me that Netflix has been slapping and removing the "Netflix Original" logo from shows somewhat randomly (I've seen it on The Fall, Clone Wars, Borgias, removed from Dusk Till Dawn)... any idea what is going on there?

It makes sense that it was on The Clone Wars because season 5 was only available on Netflix.

The others, I have no idea.

Incoming bad jokes about possible future cancellations:

Houdini vanished as fast as it appeared

Forever didn't last forever on ABC

Living with the Enemy wasn't a great idea for the victory

Ali G resurected to be crucified again

The Chair stocked by Starz

Z Nation served as cannon fodder

Deliverance Creek delivered from its destiny

Scorpion, like the song "No One Like You"

Black-ish didn't make-ish

Transparent; like its audience

Selfie was transient like a bad portrait

Happyland didn't get an happy ending

Stalker arrested by the CBS Police

Bad judge was like its judge

From A to Z to Zapped Away

Remember that new show from Oxygen, they Nail'd It

Town of the Living Dead even deserted by the Living Dead

Jane the Virgin, vows of chastity didn't save her

Marry Me: more like divorced from NBC

Constantine wasn't able to fight its own demons

Death Comes to Pemberley, they were right

The Worricker Trilogy wont get a sequel

The Missing: nowhere to be found on TV

Ascension declined in ratings

One Child now orphan

DIG was buried

In and Out of the Kitchen is out of the TV

On the Menu, not anymore

Remember Me forgotten by everyone

The Driver didn't arrive to destination

The Game lost against itself

The Great Fire burned by ITV

Sorry.

Sober

Isn't it pretty rare for Canadian shows to last more than 2-3 seasons? I thought a poster that was familiar with their process had said something along those lines before. I can't recall too well but it was something along the lines of, the way the funding works.. 2 seasons is pretty much a given but more than 3 isn't likely unless it's a smash hit?
It's confusing enough trying to explain it but simply put, Canadian shows generally follow this pattern: almost always 2 seasons, very rarely more than 5.

Basically how the funding works and how no one gives a shit about original Canadian scripted programming 95% of the time, you can get away with doing a minimum of two seasons just because you can barring some really extreme circumstances, and generally no more than five because that's when contracts are up and no one wants to sink more money into something if it isn't a surefire hit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lately, it seems Canadian shows either get one season or many. It helps that a lot of the privately funded shows have foreign buyers though.

One thing I find amazing is that CBC picked up Janet King. I don't think they picked up Crownies back in the day, so here we have a Canadian network buying an Australia show that is actually a spinoff of another show that aired a few years ago. I mean, maybe Fox should have just done the same thing with Rake rather than try to make their own version of the show... probably would have gotten the same ratings and not cost them anything. :p

Lately, it seems Canadian shows either get one season or many. It helps that a lot of the privately funded shows have foreign buyers though.

One thing I find amazing is that CBC picked up Janet King. I don't think they picked up Crownies back in the day, so here we have a Canadian network buying an Australia show that is actually a spinoff of another show that aired a few years ago. I mean, maybe Fox should have just done the same thing with Rake rather than try to make their own version of the show... probably would have gotten the same ratings and not cost them anything. :p

Ha, I remember Crownies. That show got a spin-off? And that spin-off is getting aired in Canada? Generic stuff sells I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ha, I remember Crownies. That show got a spin-off? And that spin-off is getting aired in Canada? Generic stuff sells I guess.
Yeah, Janet King. To be fair, having a courtroom procedural led by a lesbian with a family life at least makes it interesting.

Of course, she gets kissed by her younger protegee and it all gets weird... but what can you do. :p

Vert boil

- TVLine: TNT Renews Murder in the First.

I guess they tried to please Vert Boil.

hellonwheels1359rj1.gif

Unless someone else throws one up, a Z Nation OT will be coming in a few hours. >:)
Zombie baby.
lololeeloo

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone watch Znation? I assume it's going to die when Walking Dead comes back, but by virtue of being new and not burdened with 4 seasons of garbage, I actually enjoyed it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just wanted to say one thing…

This has to be one of the worst, strawmen laced "reviews" I've read in a very long time. It's nice to know that lazy, intellectually-dishonest television criticism that doesn't even attempt to deconstruct the show itself can persist:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/15/demographic-art

Even if you didn't like Red Band Society (and some here didn't), holy shit. I can't believe that this...

Everyone is Abercrombie hot; cancer, in this world, seems suspiciously correlated with high cheekbones.

…will be printed in the New Yorker.

DrEvil

not a medical professional

I'm still pissed they cancelled jPod after one season... fuckin CBC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this is the best thread and the worst thread :(

Almost Human :(

Sober

This has to be one of the worst, strawmen laced "reviews" I've read in a very long time. It's nice to know that lazy, intellectually-dishonest television criticism that doesn't even attempt to deconstruct the show itself can persist:

Even if you didn't like Red Band Society (and some here didn't), holy shit. I can't believe that this...

Can't wait to see what happens when they find out about the CW.

Honestly on the fence about adding Red Band Society to my watch list. On the one hand the show looks like it could pull on the heartstrings; on the other I already watch too much damn TV.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I only had time to skim the beginning of the article with the characterization of RBS, so my response here should be read in that context:

Personally, I did not like "The Bucket List" (the Jack Nicholson / Morgan Freeman film), because the core conceit did not work to me. I thought it played fast and loose with illness and glamourized it in a way that didn't feel liberating, but rather kind of gross. So I can appreciate the criticism that the romanticization of illness can be a problem.

I also think there's a thin line between emancipating fiction that can be targeted to those with disabilities or illness or challenges (fiction which makes them feel included, normal, and fully valued as a human) versus fiction which is made primarily for the majority to pat themselves on the back about their own inclusivity--and that's something that will play out over a longer period of time and be sustained or refuted by the show's willingness to portray disability honestly, consult disabled writers or actors, etc. You see this a lot in race or gender commentary; there are works that do a great job at being inclusive, and then there are whitewashed works designed to make largely white male audiences feel like America is post-discrimination and they're total cool with race and gender.

But I think Red Band Society (or at least the pilot) got the tone right. It has the right amount of earnestness. Interspersed with the poignant coming of age stuff there definitely was a sense of dread. I think having that vapid cheerleader as the "new kid" will work to help with this too, because while everyone else has adjusted to some degree to their illness, she's the one that's going to lash out against it and struggle with coming to terms with it. And I think the scene in the school does a good job of tying the thematic material they were learning to their life experiences without being too loud about saying HEY LOOK AT THIS. I guess I feel like what was depicted was generally earned.

I have some concerns about coma kid, which I think is pretty hackeneyed (comas are played out to begin with, so are voiceovers, so is "the wisest person in the room is the youngest"). My concern isn't so much with the broader social ramifications, but because I think it's a weak link in an otherwise strong pilot.

Beyond that, though, I think if you recognize that the target audience is probably a little younger than your typical primetime show, then it's a good effort. It's better seen as a pretty smart YA attempt than an attempt to YAify something that would otherwise have been smart, if that makes any sense.

*shrugs*

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So arrow is canceled if it's in the list?

The first list, which says says Cancelled / Not Returning is shows that were cancelled / not returning from last season.

The second list, which says Current Season Cancellations, is shows that have been cancelled this season. Since this season hasn't started yet, really, there are nothing.

The list further down that says Premieres is a list of shows that will be premiering (and will presumably be edited with their ratings or whatever after the fact). This list includes Arrow. Arrow was renewed. Arrow will be renewed for the conceivable future, its ratings are quite good--and their biggest launch of the fall is The Flash spinoff of Arrow.

I was looking forward to Red Band Society, bud absolutely afwul dialogue and Octavia Spencer's character and that black kid that are just screaming "LOOK AT ME I'M A TROPE YOU'VE SEEN HUNDRED TIMES BEFORE", killed this show for me.
I was hoping it would be like It's Kind of a Funny Story and The Perks of Being Wallflower.

I'm surprised the reviewer didn't say it's sole purpose as a show is to turn Ciara Bravo into a star. I was waiting for it.

Why no Mysteries of Laura OT?

Ivy when you end up putting the new cancelations, can you put the thread titles that cone with it?
Just for saving them.
Because some of them are so good.

ivysaur12

Banned
I would say it assigns a level of crass and cynical malice to the show that plainly isn't there.

Which is my problem -- it's a complete non-sequitor to the actual content of the show itself, and speaks more to a different problem (that is never really addressed in the actual article) about the representation of different body types on primetime television. Which is fine, but to weirdly use Red Band Society (a show that stars a curvy woman of color as its lead) as a crusade for this particular issue (which -- again -- is never mentioned besides this one bitchy touchpoint) is pretty poor critical journalism.

I was looking forward to Red Band Society, bud absolutely afwul dialogue and Octavia Spencer's character and that black kid that are just screaming "LOOK AT ME I'M A TROPE YOU'VE SEEN HUNDRED TIMES BEFORE", killed this show for me.
I was hoping it would be like It's Kind of a Funny Story and The Perks of Being Wallflower.

See:

Even if you didn't like Red Band Society (and some here didn't)

The "review" is a terrible attempt at looking at Red Band Society under a critical lens -- I think all that enjoyed or didn't enjoy the pilot could see those issues.

If by details on the process, you mean Nellie Andreeva actively shilling for Warner, making their arguments for them in a public forum in exchange for future exclusives, then yes.
Fair enough. If you have any insight on what's actually happening, feel free to chime in. I'm just passing along what's available to me on the interwebs.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ivy when you end up putting the new cancelations, can you put the thread titles that cone with it?
Just for saving them.
Because some of them are so good.

I don't do the thread titles, those are the mods. And I'm only jumping in here when I feel particularly annoyed, as with The New Yorker's shitty review of Red Band Society.

Really hope You're the Worst gets renewed. Really snuck up on me and I'll be devastated if it's canceled. But FX is pretty smart. I think they'll make the right decision.

ezekial45

Banned

Is this another Emily Nussbaum article where she criticizes something for not being something else that she happens to like a lot?

EDIT: Yep.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
FX is taking a long time to make renewal/cancellation decisions this season. Tyrant ended weeks ago and it's still in limbo, while The Bridge, You're the Worst and Married are nearing their ends and yet no decision has been made regarding their fates either.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

anaron

Whether I agree with her or not, I'm usually a fan of Nussbaum

but lol what the fuck wut @ her even trying to say those kids are abercrombie.

also I just watched the trailer and homg WILSON CRUZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom