• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she was harsh but I can't disagree with the primary substance of her criticism on the pilot: it did feel cartoonish, certain characters (Dash most of all) were obnoxiously paper-thin, etc.

The show has promise though. There was enough quality narrative present. But I hope the writers are smart enough to deconstruct the glaring stereotypical tropes as it goes along.

TheOddOne

- TVguide: The Biz: Forecasting Fall's New Hits
Another series expected to have a strong premiere, based on high scores in both awareness and intent to view, is How to Get Away With Murder, the new ABC drama from Grey's Anatomy and Scandal creator Shonda Rhimes. "It's a very [unfamiliar] title, so it shows you the strength of Scandal," says Ipsos vice president Gavin Bridge. The CBS drama Stalker, starring Dylan McDermott and Maggie Q, also ranks high in intent to view, a sign that the network's promos are connecting with viewers drawn to the type of scary, suspenseful fare executive producer Kevin Williamson (The Following) is known to deliver.]
The CW's critically acclaimed Jane the Virgin comes in dead last in intent to view, an indication that some respondents may have been put off by the show's provocative name.
The most surprising figure is for ABC's supernatural cop drama Forever. It had the highest score in intent to view of any new show in Ipsos's research — even though it ranked second lowest in awareness. That means the positive response came from a very small portion of the survey sample. Still, the data should be encouraging for ABC. "It suggests there is a core niche that's interested in the show," says Bridge. "It could be a sleeper hit."
What the whaaaaaaaat.

Sober

Or it could last forever because it is probably super gross like Criminal Minds and people will watch it anyway.

Ugh.

I don't like Dylan McDermott. He seems like a cock, and always seems to play such characters.

I can see Forever doing alright, enough to last at least one season.

Tyrant is a bad show and should be cancelled or retooled.

Sober

I love how TV Gaf don't really give a fuck about using the OT request thread ... I look at it and only Constantine is there ...

the rest of the non-game stuff are movies, phones and POPGAF

- TVguide: The Biz: Forecasting Fall's New Hits

What the whaaaaaaaat.

tumblr_inline_nao5iqgady1sz48o8.gif

Aww man that is bad news about Jane the Virgin for the people upstairs where I work. Hope it does better.

Any word on Graceland? That finale was so bad that I wouldn't be surprised if it is cancelled.

Any word on Graceland? That finale was so bad that I wouldn't be surprised if it is cancelled.

Honestly, this whole last season was pretty bad. After the first couple of episodes I started to hate remembering that I had to watch it, and I only felt that I "had" to watch it because of the (now false) hope of it getting better again.

Total throwaway season in my opinion, and it should be the death of the show. Whether it will be or not is still up in the air, I believe.

anaron

I'm pleasantly surprised that Jane is being received so positively. I was obviously not on board at all with that premise and creative team but they seemed to have pulled something enjoyable off.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Jane is being received so positively. I was obviously not on board at all with that premise and creative team but they seemed to have pulled something enjoyable off.
They cancelled Starcrossed that brah! Hope it goes away quickly, want my iZombie and The Messengers.

berzeli

Banned
Do we have have a Transparent OT? Not that I want to make one or anything, but I just figured out that the title of that show is way more clever than I first realized.
Trans-Parent

I thought Transparent was going to a new The Invisible Man type show :(

That shows on Netflix, btw. I'm terrified of giving it a rewatch.

Saty

The title is awful, actually. 'Our main character is a transgender so lets find a world with 'trans' in it'. Trans-America did it already anyhow.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I actually think the title of Transparent works very well, first of all because the pun isn't immediately obvious or terrible, but second of all because its literal meaning actually suits the show well; transparent, as in it's a show about a family, everyone in a family has their secrets, and the show is about coming to terms with those secrets--being more transparent and open with the people you rely on most.

ivysaur12

Banned
Caspe + Wilson + Marino together are enough to warrant at least a couple of viewings.

It's also the best comedy pilot of the season with A to Z! Again, low bar. You guys realize that most of these commercials that aren't clips from the show aren't written by the show, but are usually copy written by an ad team, right? They're not the show.

Memles

Fair enough. If you have any insight on what's actually happening, feel free to chime in. I'm just passing along what's available to me on the interwebs.

Sadly not. I just can't resist an opportunity to point out that when Nellie "reports" on something like that, she's really just passing along the studio's desired message. Which always makes me suspicious, as she's reporting on what the studio wants the channel/network to think, with no actual reporting beyond speculation.

I'd say there's a shot Longmire survives, but I wish it could have done so without "reporting" like this.

beat

It's also the best comedy pilot of the season with A to Z! Again, low bar.
Yeah, but also, as with Happy Endings, it sounds like* it's a soft premise pilot, so how much can you really tell about how the show will turn out?

* I haven't seen this pilot.

Speaking of the low bar, how would you put A-Z and Marry Me vs the sitcom season just past? Say, vs Brooklyn Nine-Nine. (I honestly can't remember a single other good broadcast sitcom that debuted this past season; all my other choices for great new sitcoms have been on cable.)

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah, but also, as with Happy Endings, it sounds like* it's a soft premise pilot, so how much can you really tell about how the show will turn out?

* I haven't seen this pilot.

Speaking of the low bar, how would you put A-Z and Marry Me vs the sitcom season just past? Say, vs Brooklyn Nine-Nine. (I honestly can't remember a single other good broadcast sitcom that debuted this past season; all my other choices for great new sitcoms have been on cable.)

The pilots of A to Z and Marry Me are infinitely better than the Happy Endings pilot. They're both very competent pilots and know that they are television shows, which is more than you can say for most new shows this season. Considering the mediocre nature of most broadcast dramas, they're easily the top 5 new broadcast pilots of the year. Again, it's a low bar, but they're also good shows.

I would say that neither is quite as good as Brooklyn Nine-Nine's pilot, which was pretty fantastic coming out of the gate. Both are good, solid B/B+ pilots with a ton of potential and the central relationships of both are the best parts of the show (which is really good). I would say that I have longevity issues with the concept of A to Z, while I'm quite confident what Marry Me will look like as a show going forward.

ivysaur12

Banned
WTF is Allegiance?

Midseason NBC drama that's probably the best drama pilot of this crop.

For me, I really only enjoyed A to Z, Marry Me, Allegiance, and Red Band Society. I'm so-so on Jane the Virgin, black-ish, Fresh off the Boat. And I guess Madam Secretary was fine.

Haven't seen Gracepoint, Weird Loners, Last Man on Earth, Kimmy Schmidt, Mr. Robinson, or the new Odd Couple and Mission Control.

It's one of those years, I guess.

What's going on with Battle Creek. Seemed like there was heat but ever since Gilligan committed to Better Call Saul I haven't heard anything. Has anyone seen it, is word good, who put Josh Duhamel in a dramatic role, etc

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Midseason NBC drama that's probably the best drama pilot of this crop.

Oh right, that.

What's going on with Battle Creek. Seemed like there was heat but ever since Gilligan committed to Better Call Saul I haven't heard anything. Has anyone seen it, is word good, who put Josh Duhamel in a dramatic role, etc

Picked up to series, will air in the midseason. Here's an impression of the pilot from Hitfix - Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom