• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT7| Krul luck for Costa Rica after masterstroke from van Gaal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good God these kits are so good... Only thing that rivals it are the Roma kits.

Roma kits are ace. The new Monaco ones too
Nike+AS+Monaco+14-15+Home+Kit+(2).jpg

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I just realised it's all over next week. I'm having difficulty coping with the rest days, how will i survive when the world cup ends?

Blablurn

I think i'm going to really go all out and follow the Premier League next season now that it's on NBCSN. I just need to pick a team.
Manchester United . Biggest potential in the league. They are getting a new coach too. The one who coaches Netherlands right now. It's going to be epic.

FIFA being FIFA.

FIFA is an awful company filled to the brim with corruption but there is some story attached to the reason as to why the Dutch have to leave. The KNVB had the choice between 2 hotels, one only 'till the semi finals and one 900 meters up a hill where they could stay until the finals. It is the problem of the KNVB that they thought Holland would never make it further.

Roland1979

FIFA is an awful company filled to the brim with corruption but there is some story attached to the reason as to why the Dutch have to leave. The KNVB had the choice between 2 hotels, one only 'till the semi finals and one 900 meters up a hill where they could stay until the finals. It is the problem of the KNVB that they thought Holland would never make it further.

Who says they thought they wouldn't get far? I seriously, seriously doubt that. First, because they always play to win. Plus we got far the previous WC.
And most important, because in the past they had a hotel, think it was up some hill too, and it was too far from the nearest town. The boys couldn't unwind properly, or enough at least. You can't expect them to walk all the way so they would rely on transportation all the time. So they want them not far far from entertainment and relaxation. That has proven to be crucial, and had even been fatal one time (once they where "locked up", with nothing for miles around, was a disaster, including fights).

Probity

Spain absolutely dominated Germany in that Semifinal, Low didn't know understand what he was seeing he was confused as fuck. I honestly thought Germany were surefire favorites in 2010 after their trashing of England and Argentina and Spain looked vunerable against Paraguay.

Just shows that previous matches mean fuck all in these short tournaments.

Right? i was watching and I had them as massive favorites, they looked so strong out there. The counter game was brilliant, so fast. Müller was playing top tier, and everything was going so well. Then we went and fucked it up. Didn't even look like we were trying against Spain, they were all over us constantly, we barely touched the ball it felt like. They weren't even that good though, they had great passing and good possesion, but the defense wasn't all that quick - Puyol being the only real member of it that I thought kept the whole thing together (besides Casillas being good still). They really didn't have too strong of offensive players overall either. Yet they somehow won it all. Oh well, good for them. This year we might finally do it. If not, well then we have 4 straight semifinals with one final and no trophy. We'd be like the best team of all time at fucking it up near the end. Basically are, actually.

On the topic of kits, you guys showed off a ton of nice ones, but I have always loved the Germany 2010 Home and Away jerseys. They were so simple, yet they looked very powerful and masculine, not being too tight or anything. Probably just my bias as a German though.

resource_31346.jpg

Best jersey this year ;-)

So with the Semi-finals coming up, I'm so hype for Germany...I just want to whitness a World Cup Victory (the last was 90 and I was 1 1/2 years old) :-D

spekkeh

Banned
Yes somebody said that the Netherlands was shameful in the final. While I'm not particularly proud of the display, what to me was really shameful (this sounds horrible but nofi honestly) was how the best team in the tournament looked at tiki-taka and just... rolled over. Germany did a Netherlands there.

True De Jong is a dog (or was, he seems to have bettered himself lately), Bouhlarouz is luckily gone and Robben is way too theatrical for his own good, but what I really like about this Netherlands team is that for the first time they don't just roll over when it gets tough.

spekkeh

Banned
Who says they thought they wouldn't get far? I seriously, seriously doubt that. First, because they always play to win. Plus we got far the previous WC.
And most important, because in the past they had a hotel, think it was up some hill too, and it was too far from the nearest town. The boys couldn't unwind properly, or enough at least. You can't expect them to walk all the way so they would rely on transportation all the time. So they want them not far far from entertainment and relaxation. That has proven to be crucial, and had even been fatal one time (once they where "locked up", with nothing for miles around, was a disaster, including fights).
Man, after the disaster of the EC, I would've been happy if they only won from Australia. After they knocked out Spain I didn't care where they'd end up. Been an amazing tournament so far for me. I wouldn't even be mad if we bottled the fourth consecutive time in the final.

spekkeh

Banned
I support War recon zero's hierarchy of kits. I would've like the collar of the French kits to have been a bit more angular, but aside from that great choice of colors and slight fascist undertones, just the way I like it.

Nike >>> Puma >> Adidas. Has been for quite some time now. Adidas need to step up their game and stop with the corporate stuff.

Edit: triple post, are you guys even trying

Probity

Didn't they had Xavi, David Villa and Iniesta? Torres was still shitty around that time. They had some good subs too. Or did some of them not start?

The reason I say they didn't have a lot of strong offensive players is more because of the playing style for those players. David Villa is really the only one I'd put into the category, as Iniesta and Xavi were just really good passers. I understand passing is important for an offense, but they don't really have the qualities and all that I'd throw into the mix of a strong offensive ability or power. As for subs, they had pretty weak forwards as a whole. I'd really call Spain a midfield team for 2010.

Torres was still at Liverpool though, so he was good, but Spain's style doesn't suit him I think. He didn't start, but the others did.

Edit: Also to add to the frustrations of that game, the Özil trip was definitely a penalty or free kick. It was really borderline on that choice.

Why is that goat humping the team logo?

Thats our clubs mascot, Hennes VIII.

Finally Cologne is in the 1. Bundesliga again and they decided to take a more tradiotional jersey (design was first worn like 40 years ago)

Hopefully Germany will be able to beat Brazil tomorrow...I cant live with another 3rd Place...

Roland1979

David Villa is really the only one I'd put into the category, as Iniesta and Xavi were just really good passers.
Torres was still at Liverpool though, so he was good, but Spain's style doesn't suit him I think. He didn't start, but the others did.
From what i remember Torres was out of shape and had trouble scoring around that time, it started before the WC. Iniesta was peaking at that time at Barcelona and is a extremely dangerous offensive player. But he can also dribble past a few defenders and give a pass near or in the box. But i agree that somehow he does not seem to be highly efficient in finishing or being clinical. I blame Barcelona for giving him the roll of passing the ball to Messi all the time. Xavi is a midfielder and you can't expect him to hang around the box all the time. He can't pass defenders as efficiently. However, should he get a chance to get a shot of near the box then he is very accurate.

Probity

From what i remember Torres was out of shape and had trouble scoring around that time, it started before the WC. Iniesta was peaking at that time at Barcelona and is a extremely dangerous offensive player. But he can also dribble past a few defenders and give a pass near or in the box. But i agree that somehow he does not seem to be highly efficient in finishing or being clinical. I blame Barcelona for giving him the roll of passing the ball to Messi all the time. Xavi is a midfielder and you can't expect him to hang around the box all the time. He can't pass defenders as efficiently. However, should he get a chance to get a shot of near the box then he is very accurate.

Yeah, it was right about the time Torres started missing all the time, he wasn't really on top of his game at all. Poor guy, I really enjoyed his play. Was a great striker and an awesome teammate from what I heard and read about him, but he's a shadow of himself, not even that.

I also don't expect Xavi to hang up top much, it wasn't his job. He was like the maestro, directing the play from his central area with strong passing. He was pretty accurate I would agree, but I never really considered him fast enough to pull up the way he would need to be as a clinical offensive player, and he wouldn't be nearly as successful without other players to create opportunities for, and even then his work was more of the start of a chain of strong passes to make a chance. I don't know. I just think that taking the individual players of David Villa, Iniesta, and Xavi, putting them on other teams, and having them keep their same roles, they wouldn't nearly be as successful as they were together. They made for an ok team, but they weren't really the greatest attacking force either. Spain's strength wasn't really their offense, it was their control.

spekkeh

Banned
Spain won every game with 0-0 or 1-0 even though they were on top of their game that tournament and had ball possessions upwards of 70%. David Villa was really the only halfway competent striker in that team.

Spain won every game with 0-0 or 1-0 even though they were on top of their game that tournament and had ball possessions upwards of 70%. David Villa was really the only halfway competent striker in that team.

And somehow german journalists say its ridiculous to play without a striker and that we only got Klose which isnt enough. But if you look further, Schürrle, Podolski and Müller, hell sometimes even Götze can be competent strikers. Müller made 9 goals in 11 games at world cups.

Probity

And somehow german journalists say its ridiculous to play without a striker and that we only got Klose which isnt enough. But if you look further, Schürrle, Podolski and Müller, hell sometimes even Götze can be competent strikers. Müller made 9 goals in 11 games at world cups.

That is because every single one of those players either works as a striker or winger most of the time in their teams. Müller works best really as a RW, Götze as a CF, Schürrle as a ST/CF, and Podolski as a LW. They are great midfield players too, but if you REALLY look a their playing styles, they are just forwards that come back to defend and pass a lot.

MMaRsu

Banned
No, I'm saying that it's not in the spirit of the game. Sure it's legal but thats not the point I'm making.

Similarly in Cricket, you can trash talk and intimidate your opponent but again it's against the spirit of the game there as well.

Sub was legal, saying something else is just salt. That sub was the master stroke of the game.

That person who said that Zuniga better leave Brazil when Neymar was carried away was spot on.

Lol not in the spirit of the game my ass. some taunting is always allowed. How about all yhe fouls the costa ricans made. was that in the spirit of the game?

Chris R

No idea what I'll do on Tuesday and Wednesday :( Univision ¿Por qué? :(

I guess record the games and stay off all internet until I get home to watch the games.

spekkeh

Banned
Well you can't really compare yourself with Spain. That amount of control is unparalleled, for anyone else playing for 1-0 is too risky. I hated tiki taka but fair is fair, from 2008-2012 Spain was the most dominant national team in history. The only reason WC 2010 got so ugly was because till that time, physically shoving the small Barca players (the Celtic way) was the only viable means of disrupting the passing game.
Nor would you want to compare yourself, because now that everyone has studied the tactics of Mourinho the exalted one, it's become a lot less effective.

Roland1979

They made for an ok team, but they weren't really the greatest attacking force either. Spain's strength wasn't really their offense, it was their control.

I completely agree, something you often see at Barcelona as well. It's all about the midfield. And indeed, Xavi plays a big roll in it. Tempo, when to fall back, when to advance, passing on a specific wing, and it's all about possession.

They also had Pedro (a sub at Barca at that time). But you don't start a Pedro when you have a Villa. Fabregas was a good midfielder sub. But when you can pick from the very best i feel they had not drawn everything they could from their nation's pool. It was like 70% Barcelona. This might be on purpose, since Barca was winning a lot, so even a complete Barca team could theoretically win the WC, and to preserve the team chemistry maybe. Just a theory of me though.

Well Robben is a wing player and he is far more efficient this WC then V Persie. Look at Ronaldo, same. Nr 10's can often be very dangerous as well if they are very good and versatile, since they are involved in nearly everything. But having a good striker can help a lot as well. Besides all that, media lol.

Probity

Well you can't really compare yourself with Spain. That amount of control is unparalleled, for anyone else playing for 1-0 is too risky. I hated tiki taka but fair is fair, from 2008-2012 Spain was the most dominant national team in history. The only reason WC 2010 got so ugly was because till that time, physically shoving the small Barca players (the Celtic way) was the only viable means of disrupting the passing game.
Nor would you want to compare yourself, because now that everyone has studied the tactics of Mourinho the exalted one, it's become a lot less effective.

I am a sports analyst for my local paper, and as a German that follows the national team closely, I have no clue how to explain the tactics overall. We are like a hybrid of counter-attacking/gegenpressing and Tiki Taka, but also not. Actually, if anyone could help me out, I could really use that for another story.

Probity

Seems to me it's just total football. Classical Dutch school.

I almost consider it Total Football, really, because of how we use our forward players to rotate and everything position-wise, but we have a real Tiki Taka look in our high line and central midfield, as well as a good gegenpressing feel in how we swarm up to the guys with the ball and press forward in the counter.

Anything else I am missing?

spekkeh

Banned
I think it has been confirmed that he won't play the semi's, we are fucked.

We'll just tell Kuyt to keep running circles around Messi and hopefully make him dizzy.

I don't really know what else to do, because with De Jong and Vlaar gone, our entire defensive line from DMF to DF is Eredivisie, hoo boy.

kottila

Bild says that all refs were told ahead of the WC by FIFA to hold back on giving yellow cards if they wanted a chance to get more games. Could explain the extremely low amount of cards, too many late tackels have gone unpunished and I still haven't seen a single card for flopping or kicking the ball away even though it happens every game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom