• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Legacy |OT| Designated Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about renewal chances, but it's doing worse than the last season with Jack by quite a bit.

Its pretty sad. I even suggested it to my mom thinking its a decent introductory season and she responds
"Why would I watch 24 without Jack Bauer?"

Im like she never watched a single episode with Jack...
I mean I could understand that sentiment if it was coming immediately after seeing
giphy.gif

or Jack sending his regards.

Thezez

Banned
The Tony - Rebecca prior relationship thing was awful. Like when did he have time for that shit? If I'm remembering correctly (OG series spoilers)
In season 5 Tony 'died', taken by hendersons crew and turned into a mercenary. Then has a change of heart some months before Season 7. So unless Rebecca was into some shady shit prior to joining CTU, the only time they could've been in a relationship was in the months leading up to Season 7, which still doesn't make much sense. If there was a relationship after he got out of prison post Live Another Day (assuming that is canon), then you wouldn't say it was 'a long time ago, after my wife was killed'

Kifimbo

The Tony - Rebecca prior relationship thing was awful. Like when did he have time for that shit? If I'm remembering correctly (OG series spoilers)
In season 5 Tony 'died', taken by hendersons crew and turned into a mercenary. Then has a change of heart some months before Season 7. So unless Rebecca was into some shady shit prior to joining CTU, the only time they could've been in a relationship was in the months leading up to Season 7, which still doesn't make much sense. If there was a relationship after he got out of prison post Live Another Day (assuming that is canon), then you wouldn't say it was 'a long time ago, after my wife was killed'

I was about to write this. The script for this comeback is just awful.

1. How the hell is Tony out of prison ? From the conversion between Rebecca and the CTU director, he clearly didn't escape (so the bonus DVD scene is not cannon) otherwise they would have called him a fugitive.
2. Since he was somehow released from prison, how in the hell is Tony not under surveillance 24/7 ? How can Rebecca call him without being worried her call will be intercepted ? How can Tony build a crew, find the tool to torture people and be ready at a moment's notice ?. Why is he even in New York ? Not to mention, why does he care enough to help Rebecca ? Money ? Give me a break.
3. So his motivation might be Rebecca herself ? Like Thezez just said, this love story doesn't make an once of sense. It would have been much better if Rebecca and Michelle were friends since college or something.
4. This always bothered a lot of people when it was Jack Bauer, but how does Donovan (the father) doesn't recognize Tony Almeida ? Someone deeply involved in politics should know the counter-terrorist hero turned terrorist after his wife died.

liquidtmd

Banned

Preach, PREEEEEACCCHHH

It was fucking insulting and lazy, and I'm saying this as a longtime fan of 24s lazy goofy leaps of faith.

Deadly

Yeah the Tony timeline is not likely to make sense. Solitary took place at least 2.5 years after LAD because it says he's been in confinement for 8 years. While Legacy takes place 3 years after LAD which gives 6 months of time since Tony's out? Even then he should be a wanted criminal if he actually escaped.

Episode was pretty lame this week

Tony's awesome "I came back from the dead for you baby" pickup line never fails. But yeah, that whole relationship doesn't make sense if it was after Michelle died. Lazy fucking writers.

I was hoping they'd do a genuine shock moment in the vain of 24-of-old and kill Carter immediately after the analyst was handed over, and somebody else takes on the role of the primary character to chase them down (as undeveloped as they all are; Tony?) for the few remaining episodes.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I was hoping they'd do a genuine shock moment in the vain of 24-of-old and kill Carter immediately after the analyst was handed over, and somebody else takes on the role of the primary character to chase them down (as undeveloped as they all are; Tony?) for the few remaining episodes.

That would be so silly and gimmicky. There's no one else on the show who would fit as the lead.

Tookay

This isn't doing it for me.

Been a die-hard fan since the beginning and I just feel like this is going through the motions.

LAD seemed to recapture the magic but this has lost it somewhere along the way. I don't really care about any of these new people.

In fact, I'd say 24 has had this problem since season 6 where I don't really care about any of the new characters (with the exception of Renee Walker and Kate Morgan).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Agreed with the Tony/Alli... Rebecca relationship thing, it makes no sense.

Also it's really idiotic how Carter had to go rogue instead of, you know, using CTU as backup to raid those terrorists and rescue the civilians.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Tony's awesome "I came back from the dead for you baby" pickup line never fails. But yeah, that whole relationship doesn't make sense if it was after Michelle died. Lazy fucking writers.

Yeah, I mentally tried to figure out "when" it was even possible.

If it's after his fake death (and before his reappearance on S7), then Rebecca was dating an underground merc, not exactly fitting in with CTU lead material (if it was before her time at CTU, wouldn't that be a red flag?)

I doubt she'd date a prisoner in prison, and I'm pretty sure he escaped (with help from...???) so he's still a wanted fugitive that was serving a life sentence. So, hard to believe a CTU Agent/Lead would date an obviously known to CTU Fugitive.

It's just bad. Did Tony say Michelle or "my wife"? Furthest limb out there I can think of, is if Tony had been married before Michelle. But that's just completely sloppy, because everyone thinks that "wife = Michelle" for Tony.

I really hope they somehow do more with his character, at least give a reasonable account of why and how he escaped prison.

I was about to write this. The script for this comeback is just awful.

1. How the hell is Tony out of prison ? From the conversion between Rebecca and the CTU director, he clearly didn't escape (so the bonus DVD scene is not cannon) otherwise they would have called him a fugitive.
2. Since he was somehow released from prison, how in the hell is Tony not under surveillance 24/7 ? How can Rebecca call him without being worried her call will be intercepted ? How can Tony build a crew, find the tool to torture people and be ready at a moment's notice ?. Why is he even in New York ? Not to mention, why does he care enough to help Rebecca ? Money ? Give me a break.
3. So his motivation might be Rebecca herself ? Like Thezez just said, this love story doesn't make an once of sense. It would have been much better if Rebecca and Michelle were friends since college or something.
4. This always bothered a lot of people when it was Jack Bauer, but how does Donovan (the father) doesn't recognize Tony Almeida ? Someone deeply involved in politics should know the counter-terrorist hero turned terrorist after his wife died.
Didn't like his inclusion either, but we don't really know much yet. I can at the very least say that his prison escape is canon as evidenced by this video: http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/03/11/24-legacy-how-tony-almeida-fits-into-the-story

Yeah, I mentally tried to figure out "when" it was even possible.

If it's after his fake death (and before his reappearance on S7), then Rebecca was dating an underground merc, not exactly fitting in with CTU lead material (if it was before her time at CTU, wouldn't that be a red flag?)

I doubt she'd date a prisoner in prison, and I'm pretty sure he escaped (with help from...???) so he's still a wanted fugitive that was serving a life sentence. So, hard to believe a CTU Agent/Lead would date an obviously known to CTU Fugitive.

It's just bad. Did Tony say Michelle or "my wife"? Furthest limb out there I can think of, is if Tony had been married before Michelle. But that's just completely sloppy, because everyone thinks that "wife = Michelle" for Tony.

I really hope they somehow do more with his character, at least give a reasonable account of why and how he escaped prison.

He just said wife I think. But yeah I just really don't think they thought it through.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sorry, 24-GAF. I'm bailing on this one. Watched every season before this, but this is just gotten to be so terrible. I don't even care what happens at this point.

- Why exactly is Carter avoiding going to CTU with this if he plans to screw the terrorists over anyway? Why not set up an assault? Get your wife to safety and then let them storm in?
- Why did Andy go along with a suicide mission so easily? A dude you don't know talks you into something like that in a few minutes? You literally work at a govt agency who has resources to make this not a suicide mission.
- Tony having a prior relationship with the former director of CTU is lazy
- Carter's wife & brother are in and out of danger every episode. It's not even compelling anymore.

I tried to stick it out for Tony's return but they even fumbled that. Hope the season gets better, fellow 24 fans. Good luck.

J.EM1

I've been thinking they might kill Carter in the season finale. Then start the next 24 with a new hero.

Chopper

This is definitely the stupidest series of 24 ever. I'm happy to suspend disbelief to a certain extent, but the forced relationship between Rebecca and Tony, Carter's refusal to use CTU when meeting the terrorists, and the fucking AWFUL acting from the gay technician (Andy?) are three really distracting things that immediately spring to mind. Still... Tony!

Sorry, 24-GAF. I'm bailing on this one. Watched every season before this, but this is just gotten to be so terrible. I don't even care what happens at this point.

- Why exactly is Carter avoiding going to CTU with this if he plans to screw the terrorists over anyway? Why not set up an assault? Get your wife to safety and then let them storm in?
- Why did Andy go along with a suicide mission so easily? A dude you don't know talks you into something like that in a few minutes? You literally work at a govt agency who has resources to make this not a suicide mission.
- Tony having a prior relationship with the former director of CTU is lazy
- Carter's wife & brother are in and out of danger every episode. It's not even compelling anymore.

I tried to stick it out for Tony's return but they even fumbled that. Hope the season gets better, fellow 24 fans. Good luck.

the terrorists apparently have a mole at CTU, Jidallah mentioned it in passing once (which doesn't really make any sense and widens up a whole bunch of plot holes) so I guess you sort of hand waive that Carter "senses" this. Jack would have just straight up known, thanks to Chloe :( They were REALLY missing a scene of "wait... there was no way Jidallah knew that unless... THERE'S A MOLE dun dun dun"

Andy went along to be a hero to show his ex boyfriend that he isn't the only one who can kick ass, which I think is gonna be ironic when its revealed the boyfriend is the mole at CTU.

Don't forget this season is only 12 episodes, only 5 more terrible, terrible, terrible episodes to go.

this_guy

the terrorists apparently have a mole at CTU, Jidallah mentioned it in passing once (which doesn't really make any sense and widens up a whole bunch of plot holes) so I guess you sort of hand waive that Carter "senses" this. Jack would have just straight up known, thanks to Chloe :( They were REALLY missing a scene of "wait... there was no way Jidallah knew that unless... THERE'S A MOLE dun dun dun"

Andy went along to be a hero to show his ex boyfriend that he isn't the only one who can kick ass, which I think is gonna be ironic when its revealed the boyfriend is the mole at CTU.

Don't forget this season is only 12 episodes, only 5 more terrible, terrible, terrible episodes to go.

The season has been pretty bad so far. I need Tony to team up with Carter to on a final mission in the last few episodes to have any redeeming qualities for the season.

Kadin

I'm an episode behind but I'm really getting pissed with how they're not respecting the 'events occur in real time' aspect of this show. One minute the terrorist group of guys are watching the media seeing that CTU is coming and then a minute later they're all gone apparently. Next we have the dad (of the daughter/brother team) calling 911 and 20 seconds later CTU has already validated his story and identity and are trying to locate the daughter.

Maybe this happened a lot in 24 but it was never as noticeable as this. It's one thing that I just keep noticing more and more of and it's killing the show for me. Too much is being skipped over.

Have you guys noticed this as well? Haven't read through the thread because I've been behind.

Maddocks

the major problem I think is that no one told anyone that Carter has a cold so he is constantly snorting air to keep snot in from a runny nose. Take medicine Carter!

Dysun

Yeah this season went off the rails quick. It had some good dumb shlock 24 moments in the first 2-3 episodes but I don't care about any of these people. I'll stick it out the rest of the way, but this show is probably dead anyway based on those ratings

Arttemis

Someone needs to write the script and bring FOX producers on board for the Jack Bauer movie that will bring Kiefer Sutherland back.

I fell asleep watching the episode 5 twice. No lie, I usually wait until my girlfriend goes to sleep to watch, and I've passed out trying to catch up for weeks. At least I'll have a bunch to binge when I eventually get around to it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't know why people hate this season more than other 24 seasons post-S5. Yeah there's a lot of dumb stuff but it's not exactly worse than some of the schlock in Seasons 6-8, and even early seasons had some truly dumb stuff in them too.

To me this season is just typical 24, just minus Bauer.

Dalek

I don't know why people hate this season more than other 24 seasons post-S5. Yeah there's a lot of dumb stuff but it's not exactly worse than some of the schlock in Seasons 6-8, and even early seasons had some truly dumb stuff in them too.

I feel the same-I'm enjoying it.

Arttemis

Seasons 7 and 8 shouldn't even be compared to 6, if you ask me - at least the second half of 6. If any show wants to continue after hiatus with a new protagonist, they should probably not release it with content that's comparable to "some of the schlock" associated with the show's lows.

Vally

Seasons 7 and 8 shouldn't even be compared to 6

This. Season 7 is great and 2nd half of Season 8 is the best stretch of episodes in the series

I'm not feeling this season that much either, but it's still entertaining so I'm watching until the end

Dysun

There were alot of shit side characters in CTU history.
Milo, girl in Season 2 who gets blown up, terribad CTU director with insane daughter, girl who likes Milo, Chloe's annoying husband, grown up Ricky, Freddie Prinze Jr and Starbuck
We always had Jack to carry the slack though

I'm missing a few or 50

liquidtmd

Banned
Are y'all seriously saying Legacy is worse than Day 6? What're ya smoking?

In all honesty, I rewatched Season 6 a few months back for the first time in years.

Episodes 1-4 were quite well done. The shit with Graham and Phillip Bauer was very misguided and bad after that, there was too much time given to Chloe and Morris and there was a definitely feeling more so than other series' preceding it that it was '24 by the numbers' but overall...Yeah I'd say Legacy is worse than Day 6.

Kiefer and a few key players worked their asses off and I cared even when the show around them was bad. This show doesn't have that luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom