• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360/PS3/WII: Wii Takeover watch

jarrod

Banned
AniHawk said:
I'm pretty sure that's a given. Ever since the Genesis, Sonic has been hugely popular in Europe... the UK especially.

But the NES and SNES were horribly mismanaged. Either Shepp's or Kent's book covers this.
Computer game platforms were also hugely popular in key markets like the UK and Germany... consoles really didn't become the dominant gaming platforms until PlayStation in Europe, unlike America and Japan which established consoles on top with Famicom/NES.

nicks are so impersonal said:
Daaamn, for a 82 million country those sales are LOW. What do germans do in their free time?
When it comes to gaming Germany is still dominated by the PC gaming crowd.
However, I guess Nintendo will be quite happy when they have sold about half a million Wii's by the end of 2007.

donny2112

felipeko said:
donny2112 what's your guesstimation on european numbers to July?

For the PS3, it depends on how much of an impact the 60GB price drop made on U.S., as I'll probably use a similar increase to account for the new bundle in Europe. For the Wii after taking a fresh look at some older data and the news out of the U.K. of hitting 1 million in 3-4 weeks, I've revised up May and June some.

Early guesses on LTD for PAL/Other through July by NPD reckoning (August 4):

360: 3.5 million
WII: 2.7 million
PS3: 1.4 million

nicks are so impersonal said:
Daaamn, for a 82 million country those sales are LOW. What do germans do in their free time?
PC. Although perception of consoles did change with the Playstation home consoles, esp. PS2.

Oh and bordgames are madly popular here so a lot of people still play oldschool analogue style.

felipeko

donny2112 said:
For the PS3, it depends on how much of an impact the 60GB price drop made on U.S., as I'll probably use a similar increase to account for the new bundle in Europe. For the Wii after taking a fresh look at some older data and the news out of the U.K. of hitting 1 million in 3-4 weeks, I've revised up May and June some.

Early guesses on LTD for PAL/Other through July by NPD reckoning (August 4):

360: 3.5 million
WII: 2.7 million
PS3: 1.4 million
That would put almost the same growth (from the last guesstimations) for X360 and Wii numbers.. o_O
Or were your guesstimations different from what we have in the first page?

donny2112

felipeko said:
Or were your guesstimations different from what we have in the first page?

"PAL/Other" for me includes everything not named U.S., Canada, or Japan. It is mostly Europe + Australia. The numbers in the first post have Europe and Australia separated. If I tried to pull out Europe from my PAL/Other, I'd probably have 360 ~150K higher, and Wii ~50K higher than what's in the first post.

Also, the 360 3.5 million is really more like 3.45 million, but as we don't actually have that kind of precision, I just rounded up.

koam

donny2112 said:
"PAL/Other" for me includes everything not named U.S., Canada, or Japan. It is mostly Europe + Australia. The numbers in the first post have Europe and Australia separated. If I tried to pull out Europe from my PAL/Other, I'd probably have 360 ~150K higher, and Wii ~50K higher than what's in the first post.

Also, the 360 3.5 million is really more like 3.45 million, but as we don't actually have that kind of precision, I just rounded up.

Can you give us those PAL numbers - australia and other :p i.e Just Euro.

apujanata

Quite interesting that we got LTD data for Germany & UK this last two weeks. Just in time for the Wi takeover timeframe ?

When was the last time we got LTD for France ? April 2007 ?

Parl

Vong_Assassin said:
Did you see yourself in the mirror?

Nope, I posted something when drunk, it had an average of 2 typos per word, and it seemed hopeless to make it make sense, so...

verplant

slaughterking said:
When it comes to gaming Germany is still dominated by the PC gaming crowd.
However, I guess Nintendo will be quite happy when they have sold about half a million Wii's by the end of 2007.

First half of 2007 publishers sold 5.9 mio. video games (203,000,000 Euro) here in Germany.

(PC games: 125,000,000 Euro)

donny2112

koam said:
Using the numbers from the other europe sales thread, can someone figure the europe ltds?

Using the thread ziran posted about Wii sales (in case that's which thread you meant), I'd say that European Wii sales were at ~2.6 million through August 4 (end of July by NPD). 360 should be 3.2-3.3 million through August 4 for Europe. Also, David Reeves (SCEE president) announced that the PS3 was at 1.3 million "in Europe" at the G|C.

I'm still hoping for an actual press release when Wii passes 1 million in the U.K. that states the European and/or PAL total sales, though. Microsoft may not want to share their PAL sales, but maybe Nintendo will put out a press release when they pass them there (as early as October).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well...it looks like the Wii is going to pick up a lot of sales tonight, and by my own estimates its going to takeover the top spot. Anyone else ready to proclaim the takeover complete tonight?

schuelma said:
Well...it looks like the Wii is going to pick up a lot of sales tonight, and by my own estimates its going to takeover the top spot. Anyone else ready to proclaim the takeover complete tonight?

ioi's magical made-up-numbers site already has Wii ahead.

schuelma

From my own estimates, the Wii has overtaken the 360

Edit- as always, Europe are partial estimates/my best guess.

Wii- 10.255M

Japan- 3.35M (through last week)

N.A- 4.042M (through July)

PAL- 2.863M (through July)

360- 10.045M

Japan- 400K (through last week)

N.A- 6.35M (through July)

PAL- 3.295 (through July)

Threi

notag
schuelma said:

Wii- 10.255M

360- 10.045M

\o/

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
wow the wii is already #1? I thought it would at least take until the end of august or september.

schuelma said:

Wii- 10.255M

360- 10.045M

Victoly!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
schuelma said:

Wii- 10.255M

360- 10.045M

Mission Accomplished

AirBrian

schuelma said:

Wii- 10.255M

360- 10.045M

The most amazing part of this is how little time it took for the Wii to overtake the 360.

Pachael

Xisiqomelir said:
1st to 10M confirmed! And the gen goes with it, because that's what Peter Moore said! :lol

Yup, and we all knew it, Wii wins :D Where's that 'Wii takes over X360 worldwide sales' thread? Now that Wii's winning in all three territories, it's not a contest anymore. It's a one waggle future!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AniHawk said:
I can't believe it took Nintendo only 8 months to do what Microsoft did in 20.

Shows how important Japan is. That's literally the difference for the Wii being market leader right now.

reilo said:
Shows how important Japan is. That's literally the difference for the Wii being market leader right now.

Somehow I think if Nintendo took all their stock from Japan and distro'd it across US and Europa, we'd be in the same spot.

Somehow...

Banned
it'd be interesting to see the money spent on total consoles and also the money made from profit margins from both companies.

Xbox would win the first, wii would win the second, which is the more important one.

It's not looking good for the PS3 right now, bring on the blockbusters Sony!

reilo

EverSoTrendy said:
Don't worry guys. September and October are going to be so fucking huge for the X360 that it will regain it's market control againl.

If Wii has another 400K month, X360 is not regaining shit. Hell, Wii can have two sub-250k consecutive months and X360 can have two 400K months in NA, and Wii would still retain its lead.

Why?

JAPAN.

schuelma

reilo said:
If Wii has another 400K month, X360 is not regaining shit. Hell, Wii can have two sub-250k consecutive months and X360 can have two 400K months in NA, and Wii would still retain its lead.

Why?

JAPAN.

And Europe..from all evidence, Wii is probably gaining 200-250K in Europe a month as well.

Natsume

schuelma said:
360- 10.045M

Not that it really matters but I can't get my head around this 3 million PAL number for the 360. No matter how I look at it, it seems far, far too high.

reilo

schuelma said:
And Europe..from all evidence, Wii is probably gaining 200-250K in Europe a month as well.

True enough. Wii already took over the X360 in a few PAL countries.

donny2112

schuelma said:
Anyone else ready to proclaim the takeover complete tonight?

I have it slightly behind the 360, but I don't include Japanese or PAL/Other sales past NPD's July reporting period.

360:
U.S.: 5.95 million
Canada: 406K
Japan: 398K
PAL/Other: 3.44 million

Total: 10.19 million

WII:
U.S.: 3.62 million
Canada: 342K
Japan: 3.29 million
PAL/Other: 2.77 million

Total: 10.01 million

WWConsoles.jpg

JunoTaksumi said:
Not that it really matters but I can't get my head around this 3 million PAL number for the 360. No matter how I look at it, it seems far, far too high.

1.2 million U.K.

Assume U.K. is 40% of Europe.

3 million

Australia is 0.2 million

Back of the envelope calculation, but gives the general idea.

Odysseus

Banned
EverSoTrendy said:
Don't worry guys. September and October are going to be so fucking huge for the X360 that it will regain it's market control againl.

i'm not so eager as these guys to take complete guesses at sonyeuroland, but if you think 360 outsells wii in the next two to three months, you've got a rude awakening coming.

Natsume

donny2112 said:
1.2 million U.K.
Assume U.K. is 40% of Europe.
3 million
Australia is 0.2 million
Back of the envelope calculation, but gives the general idea.

In that context it works but I thought the 360 isn't doing even nearly as good elsewhere than in the UK making it closer to 50% of the sales. But I have no recent numbers to back that up with so I guess I can live with it.

Top Bottom