• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii have taken over! From a reliable source..

Xisiqomelir

Tabris said:
Yes. A real gamer would go to where the games are, and all the high quality games OUT right now are on the 360. So a real gamer would be cheering for the 360 (which he would have purchased) until those 2 games on the Wii came out, which he would then cheer for both consoles to do well.

I don't know, this implies that "real gamers" don't have any foresight at all. Like I said, this early in the gen, I buy for potential first. If we were near end-cycle, then I would consider back-catalogue first.

Gigglepoo

Xisiqomelir said:
I don't know, this implies that "real gamers" don't have any foresight at all. Like I said, this early in the gen, I buy for potential first. If we were near end-cycle, then I would consider back-catalogue first.

I just buy all three systems and hope they're worth it. So far, only one has been worth it. But the potential of the other two are through the roof!

-COOLIO- said:
:lol

but anyway, does this mean vg chartz isnt far off?
******** usually isn't too far off, but it's the way the numbers just appear, having supposedly come "directly from retailers all over the world" that irks many, and that they're then taken so seriously by many web sites as The Truth. At GAF there's a pretty open process where what's known is known, and you can see various people's estimates for the unknown bits and try to see if what they're doing seems reasonable.
KachoMakura said:
How do you guys think the holidays will play out? Will the 360 outsell the Wii with Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, supposedly more reliable hardware and a price drop?
In the States? Probably. I assume X360 will have a nice boost over last year, and I doubt Wii's stockpile can match it.

Worldwide? Really doubt it. Whatever MS does in the Americas will represent over 60% of their worldwide sales, while for Wii the Americas will represent maybe 40%.
kpop100 said:
The PS2 was on the same level though as far as hardware.

Do you really think all the money that developers sunk into creating engines and assets for the 360 and PS3 will just be tossed.
So doesn't it seem like with PS2 there'd have been less reason to drop support for other consoles, since doing a multiplatform release would be simpler?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
dog$ said:
Holy shit.

As if previous generations weren't host to the most diverse software lineup to date, the highest number of budget titles created, and host to homebrew gaming (Yaroze to Linux), this still isn't unique to Nintendo. XBLA and PSN both provide means to do the exact same thing.Absolutely false.

That is unless you want to ignore all the hype that the Wii got and continues to get on all the talk shows and other media outlets.

And if you want to ignore the epic games that they continue to make, like TP.Right, whereas the philosophy behind Sony or Microsoft is to contract the audience.

Whereas the PS1 selling to 100 million people didn't do the same.Do you like videogames?

I have to ask, because if you did, I really am at a complete loss as to why you wouldn't want them to continuously evolve and expand.

Just look at the phrase you used: "ignoring hd". You are praising ignorance. Why would any rational person do this?is the best thing they could come up with when the writing was on the wall and they realized that they were incapable of competing solely on technical prowress, which they did two decades prior.Again, how is this uniquely Nintendo's philosophy.

"Free online service" is something PC gamers have had for decades now and should be considered a baseline standard for all videogames. It certainly isn't distinctive enough that a company should be praised for providing it. Praising Nintendo for having free online service is like praising them for having the Wii output color graphics. It's taken for granted now.

Ah, Nintendo fans.

----

So yeah guys, congrats on helping the Wii reach this milestone. How about having some games that I would actually want to spend money on, when will that happen.

rebuttals:

giving small devs a chance: xbla games arnt what im talking about, im talking abouts devs that want to make full length, real games but wouldnt have a chance unless a system like the wii existed. no more heroes wouldnt have happened on the 360 or the ps3. and even though games like orb and sadness may never come out at least theres a chaaaance thanks to the wii.

expanding the audience: 100 mil ps2s is great and it expanded the 14-30 year old, male demographic very well, but not only is the wii poised (in my opinion) to beat that number, but they're doing so by hitting every demographic out there.

too hollywood: sure games like TP and metroid prime are still coming out but because the system is underpowered, larger devs can put out all sorts of games because the budgets arnt 20 million. you wont see games like cooking mama and zack and wiki on the 360/ps3

ignoring hd: 3 or so people agreed with me in saying that they postponed or didnt bother buying an hd system because of all the hd hype. im glad i can enjoy my wii visually as well as everyone else and i dont have to feel envious of somones hdtv.

btw, lol @ "do you leik games!??. some emotional responses there.

free online: lol "pc had it". im not saying nintendo was the first, but im for nintendo because of the sum of their parts. and this is just one of their parts. sony did it too and thats one of the reasons im comfortable with the decision to get a ps3 later on.

the wiimote: well that was just fanboyism. not gunna bother here.

jmdajr

Master Z said:
Can I play Warhawk, R&C and Uncharted on the Wii or 360? No. So yeah, speak for yourself.

WOW I DIDN'T FUKING KNOW R&C AND UNCHARTED WERE OUT!

THEY MUST BE SO MUCH FUN!

ksamedi

ZombieSupaStar said:
even I bought a wii today, something im not proud of, but its the future whether I like it, or not.

There are a lot of good games to choose from, MP3 is coming this week for you guys, you already have Wiisports which is a fun social game even if you dont like it, Zelda is quite good and Paper Mario seems fun too. Definitly check out Strikers as well, and ofcourse Resident evil 4 if you missed it and Excite truck if your in to racing games. Tiger Woods is pretty good as well. Its not all that bad you know, the next few months will be even better.

ksamedi said:
There are a lot of good games to choose from, MP3 is coming this week for you guys, you already have Wiisports which is a fun social game even if you dont like it, Zelda is quite good and Paper Mario seems fun too. Definitly check out Strikers as well, and ofcourse Resident evil 4 if you missed it and Excite truck if your in to racing games. Tiger Woods is pretty good as well. Its not all that bad you know, the next few months will be even better.

well I oredered a classic controller and zelda and metroid prime preorder from best buy, I dont think ill get into wii sports much tho.

and excite truck is just a gaf injoke right? that thing got panned so hard but everyone here says get it, its a setup to trick people i tell you!

gcfan2k5

KachoMakura said:
It's actually quite sad. Although Sony has had their share of blunders in the past the PS3 is by far the most technically advanced system on the market. And offers features out of the box that none of their competitors can claim. BluRay, HDD, motion control, Wi-Fi, Free Online, Bluetooth, Web browser, Linux, etc are all offered out of the box. I'm hopeful that as the price comes down sales will pick up tremendously.

motion control, Wi-Fi, Free Online, Wii has all of those out of the box too, and wii has 512meg of inbuilt storage, sort of like a hard drive, but not exactly.

ZombieSupaStar said:
and excite truck is just a gaf injoke right? that thing got panned so hard but everyone here says get it, its a setup to trick people i tell you!

It's apparently really good, based on such illustrious people as sp0rsk and Anihawk.

ksamedi

jmdajr said:
Obviously you didn't get what I said at all.

and what learning curve do they have? it's a damn gamecube.
I guess the new controls are that much of hassle to master.

Its not learning curve, its development time. Good games take a long time to develop, thats why there si much rushed crap on the Wii right now. Also, the Wiimote is something that has to be mastered, just like graphics on 360/PS3 the Wiimote for the Wii is its most crucial part. The more time developers have, the more innovative they will use it. You cant expect ports of games that were designed around traditional controllers to be succesfull on Wii(aside from a few exceptions). Wii games should be built ground up for the controller and shouldnt be able to work on 360 or PS3.

ksamedi

koam said:
I don't know if you're supporting my post or not with that last part.

The point you made is valid for the PS3, not for the 360. Thats what i said, as it stands now is that 360 software sales are very good and that means there is money to be made. Abandoning the 360 is leaving money on the table. Expanding development teams so that publishers can make quality Wii and 360 software at the same time is the smart thing to do.

jmdajr

ksamedi said:
Its not learning curve, its development time. Good games take a long time to develop, thats why there si much rushed crap on the Wii right now. Also, the Wiimote is something that has to be mastered, just like graphics on 360/PS3 the Wiimote for the Wii is its most crucial part. The more time developers have, the more innovative they will use it. You cant expect ports of games that were designed around traditional controllers to be succesfull on Wii(aside from a few exceptions). Wii games should be built ground up for the controller and shouldnt be able to work on 360 or PS3.

Well Nintendo is not doing THAT bad of a job. Is Nintendo that lazy to help the 3rd party people? I think things could be much better, and yes I still believe with that with the wii having old architecture, things should be moving along much faster. How hard would it have been to developers hardware a year or so before launch?

EDarkness

Dr_Cogent said:
A real gamer would know there isn't shit for the Wii still. Yeah, the waggle hype is great and all - but you need games to go along with it.

Wii is a barren wasteland as far as I am concerned. Needs way more good software.

I've only bought Legend of Zelda for it, I'm waiting for Super Mario Galaxy.

Pretty weak.

I guess it depends on your point of view. I own 10 games for the Wii right now and will be picking up Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition today. I'm all about games and I find the selection on the Wii to be pretty good. I've enjoyed Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Scarface, Elebits, Zelda, Trauma Center and others. Just because they aren't your kind of games, doesn't mean they're not good.

<shrug> It's all a matter of opinion anyway. I have nothing against the 360 and some of the games on the system are pretty awesome, but I can't afford one. For now, it's the Wii all the way and I'm having fun. That's all that matters, anyway.

ksamedi

jmdajr said:
Well Nintendo is not doing THAT bad of a job. Is Nintendo that lazy to help the 3rd party people? I think things could be much better, and yes I still believe with that with the wii having old architecture, things should be moving along much faster. How hard would it have been to developers hardware a year or so before launch?

Well the Wii is the succesor of the GC, a console that failed at retail except for Nintendo. Third party publishers all bet on the PS3 and 360 for the majority of there sales. That means that most of them started developing after they saw the Wii being a succes, that means maybe 6 months ago.

jmdajr

ksamedi said:
Well the Wii is the succesor of the GC, a console that failed at retail except for Nintendo. Third party publishers all bet on the PS3 and 360 for the majority of there sales. That means that most of them started developing after they saw the Wii being a succes, that means maybe 6 months ago.

maybe so, but I think Nintendo could have been more aggressive and offered some of those folks some green to at least have more high caliber games within the first year.

I see some of your point, but I guess I feel less than forgiving. And I think most of the news games coming out will be non-games.

I own a Wii and I'm starting to think that maybe I'm "part of the problem". The following factors determined my decision to purchase:

1) It's only $250. Not terrible for a working gamer.

2) I ALWAYS enjoy the Marios, MKarts, Zeldas, and Metroids (yes, even Mario Sunshine). These titles alone justify the price.

The most important factor:

3) I ALREADY HAD A 360!!!

I love playing Wii Sports with my wife. I loved Zelda TP. I somewhat enjoyed Super Paper Mario, but ONLY because it was given as a gift. I loved MP1 AND MP2, but I'm going to have a hard time playing MP3 so soon after experiencing the glory that is Bioshock. I guess I had a dream that one day (a couple of years ago, I would have thought "soon") Nintendo would abandon the console business and just concentrate on software. Mario Galaxy looks great... but imagine how it would look in 1080P with actual honest-to-god textures!!! As a Wii owner, the Nintendo love is a bit baffling. The proof is in the games and I don't think they've earned it yet. We'll see what Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy do (I hated GC Brawl, so it's off my radar). So far, the Wii feels like a lateral move in gaming. It has yet to wow me.

Terrell

jmdajr said:
maybe so, but I think Nintendo could have been more aggressive and offered some of those folks some green to at least have more high caliber games within the first year.

I see some of your point, but I guess I feel less than forgiving. And I think most of the news games coming out will be non-games.
There's some good to be had in buying exclusives, and there's some bad, too. It's tough to say, as we are not privy to Japanese business politics, but buying exclusives could make Nintendo appear desperate for games and not allowing the console's virtues to speak for itself. Just like in relationship land, desperation is a massively unappealing trait in the business world. But Nintendo isn't floundering, not in the slightest, and they know that 3rd parties not jumping onto the platform with more quality content just means that 3rd parties aren't in any rush to make money on the back of Nintendo's success, which isn't really any of Nintendo's concern in the immediate future. It kinda sucks for us, but backroom corporate politics usually don't benefit the consumer.

Xisiqomelir

Can someone link me to the Moore/Allard quote about 1st to 10M winning the gen? Or all such quotes, if there are more than one.

Thanks!

Kosma

Banned
plagiarize said:
i endorse the above message.

can we pick 'up to and including Home' as how much of The X-Files we want to count?

It's hard to say. Once they started to focus more on the backstory conspiracry rather then having strong singular episodes I lost interest. Don't know when that happened exactly.

Slavik81

koam said:
SIDE NOTE: It's quite possible the the Wii hit 10 million right before the 360 did.
Too bad Peter Moore's not around. I would have loved to listen to somebody question him on how the 'first to ten million wins'.

Master Z said:
Only a couple months away, in the mean time it's all about WOWHAWK, so settle down there, son.
What's this about World of Warhawk?

toxk_02

Black Republican
Shinraven said:
the wii could sell 40 mil. i could care less. keep playing your cooking mama. F#$%^ Wiitardz who buys this crap:lol
How much more could you care less? Please quantify.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Shinraven said:
the wii could sell 40 mil. i could care less. keep playing your cooking mama. F#$%^ Wiitardz who buys this crap:lol

wow, Nintendo domination really brings out the worst in people. I'll be playing Metroid and Bioshock thx :)

DreD

Shinraven said:
You certainly don't sound like someone who couldn't care less. :lol

Grecco

Guess trolling the Wii library is the new thing Cant troll reviews or sales right?

Just a couple more days till Metroid Prime 3

Shinraven said:

Not everyone has the same taste as you. And guess what? we don't have too. These next few months I'm getting Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Manhunt 2, Zack and Wiki, and Table Tennis for Wii. I won't be bored.

Grecco said:
Guess trolling the Wii library is the new thing Cant troll reviews or sales right?

Just a couple more days till Metroid Prime 3

God, it's a valid complaint. Third party support isn't there yet. Could it be coming? Seems like it should be, but for right now it isn't so complaining about the non diversity of the library is a very valid complaint until Nintendo shows it's courting anyone else except themselves.

mclem

koam said:
So those people think that the 360 will make a comeback before dec 31? The Wii is essentially selling 3 times more a month at the moment.
"If there is hope, it lies in the Halo 3"

Chiggs

Gold Member
The real question for me is this: How and when did Sony and Microsoft become so stupid? The way Nintendo is abusing them is legendary. And they just sit there and act as if in a year or so, they'll be the ones who are smiling. Aren't we over the Wii is a fad thing yet?

LOCK

Livin_Lovin said:
God, it's a valid complaint. Third party support isn't there yet. Could it be coming? Seems like it should be, but for right now it isn't so complaining about the non diversity of the library is a very valid complaint until Nintendo shows it's courting anyone else except themselves.
Are you living under a rock.

Its very valid to say that the best games right now on the system are first party games, and that may not change for the rest of the year, but in no way is there a lack of third party games.

Top Bottom