• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii have taken over! From a reliable source..

Haunted

Xeke said:
So lets not forget about this bet now. In light of this latest NPD it's not looking so hot for EverSoTrendy and Thunder Monkey.
understatement of the year. :lol They will lose the bet.

tHoMNZ

A bunch of casual mainstream gamers bought a casual mainstream console. This is good for gaming how? All this does is encourage developers to make newbie friendly games with no substance. Thank god there's still the irrationals and valve's in this world (even valve dumb down their MP games though)

tHoMNZ said:
A bunch of casual mainstream gamers bought a casual mainstream console. This is good for gaming how? All this does is encourage developers to make newbie friendly games with no substance. Thank god there's still the irrationals and valve's in this world (even valve dumb down their MP games though)

Chocolate milk is very popular. Why do other flavors still get made?

The only thing I've played on my Wii this Summer is the "download the clock" game. I just hope this success brings games I can get excited about, because as it stands I'm only interested in a few first party titles.

Xeke

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
The only thing I've played on my Wii this Summer is the "download the clock" game. I just hope this success brings games I can get excited about, because as it stands I'm only interested in a few first party titles.

RE4 Wii is easily worth the money, regardless if you've played it yet or not.

a Master Ninja said:

I can beat that, I haven't turned on my Wii the entire summer, until about 2 weeks ago when I rented Kororinpa.

a Master Ninja said:
Itagaki's hinting on a possible Wii title.

Link

The Autumn Wind
tHoMNZ said:
I remember people saying this about 12 years ago.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Evilink said:
Quick question, you know the sales of RE4 Wii? Just curious, thanks.

In N.A, about 240K. In Japan about 105K, Europe unknown, but its charted well and been in very short supply.

Meesh

schuelma said:
In N.A, about 240K. In Japan about 105K, Europe unknown, but its charted well and been in very short supply.

Thanks...interesting, I wonder if it'll break Capcoms 500k forecast.(I believe thats correct?)

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think the forecast was 460k by March 2008, and yes, it should pass that fairly easily.

schuelma

Evilink said:
Thanks...interesting, I wonder if it'll break Capcoms 500k forecast.(I believe thats correct?)

Oh I'd say that's an absolute given..it might have done that already.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Haunted One said:
The correct answer would have been - 'yeah, fuck the NES!'
Yeah, but I don't think most of the people whining in this thread were born yet back then.

apujanata

Mar_ said:
I don't think the 360 has a chance in hell of gaining back the lead. Sure it has awesome games coming out for it, and I can't stop playing the damn thing myself. But everyone and their grandmother wants a Wii, and Wii Sports is the killer app. I honestly believe this holiday season is going to be a tidal wave of sales for Nintendo.

When I made the bet, I was thinking that Wii will only managed to get WW leadership on August by a small amount, and X360 to take it back again on Sep, and Wii regain it on October, and maintain the leadership on Nov and Dec.

In light of this newest update, I think the possibility of me losing just went down significantly (probably from 20% to <10%).

schuelma

apujanata said:
When I made the bet, I was thinking that Wii will only managed to get WW leadership on August by a small amount, and X360 to take it back again on Sep, and Wii regain it on October, and maintain the leadership on Nov and Dec.

In light of this newest update, I think the possibility of me losing just went down significantly (probably from 20% to <10%).

Unless Nintendo just doesn't have any units for the Holidays, I can't think of one conceivable way the Wii loses its lead. Remember, the Wii is outselling the 360 in Japan and Europe by like 500K a month. NPD only tells a third of the story.

Xeke

Banned
schuelma said:
Unless Nintendo just doesn't have any units for the Holidays, I can't think of one conceivable way the Wii loses its lead. Remember, the Wii is outselling the 360 in Japan and Europe by like 500K a month. NPD only tells a third of the story.

Yeah. The Wii would really need to bomb hard for the rest of the year.

Honestly, there's no real "reason" for Nintendo to have won this generation. The reason why I say that, is simple: Always in the past, a system "won the race" by being not only the leader, but it got that leadership role, by having the games that everyone just wanted to play. On top of that, it offered up the best "jump" over a previous generation of systems & offered up legimate reasons to own it vs. a current competitor. But other than Waggle & a cheaper price than anyone else, the Wii hasn't offered up *anything* to legitimately have the crown.

Also, to further explain what I meant about "legitimate reason" I mean this:

In previous generations, whenever you went from Generation A to Generation B, you were able to say "I could never have played a game like this last gen." or "I could never have experienced a game like this last gen." You always got a bit better in graphics & sound & perhaps that "gimmick of the generation" to help "give reason to own" as some kind of added "oomph". (64DD for SNES in Japan, SegaCD for Genesis in States/Overseas).

But in general:

NES -> SNES
Master System -> Genesis

SNES -> N64
Genesis -> Saturn

N64 -> Gamecube
Saturn -> Dreamcast

PS1 -> PS2

PS2 -> PS3
Xbox 1 -> Xbox 360
GameCube -> ?

^^ in each of those generations, there was a sizable "Look at my upgrades" from one generation to another with the SOLE exception being the Wii. Naturally, Nintendo said they "Had to do something different" than continue the rat race and in part, they were correct, but it was much like your typical Madden game: All they did was change the most minimal amount they could get away with and charge you full price for the next iteration of the product/series.

But, in the end, the sheer fact that Nintendo is #1 now. <--- And that is **ALL** that matters. Does it make sense? No. But do 10.3 million people really care? Probably not.

schuelma

DiatribeEQ said:
Honestly, there's no real "reason" for Nintendo to have won this generation. The reason why I say that, is simple: Always in the past, a system "won the race" by being not only the leader, but it got that leadership role, by having the games that everyone just wanted to play. On top of that, it offered up the best "jump" over a previous generation of systems & offered up legimate reasons to own it vs. a current competitor. But other than Waggle & a cheaper price than anyone else, the Wii hasn't offered up *anything* to legitimately have the crown.

QUOTE]

You're analysis is missing something very fundamental. To the masses, not necessarily you, Wii Sports is a game "Everyone wants to play".

Xeke

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:

Also, to further explain what I meant about "legitimate reason" I mean this:

In previous generations, whenever you went from Generation A to Generation B, you were able to say "I could never have played a game like this last gen." or "I could never have experienced a game like this last gen." You always got a bit better in graphics & sound & perhaps that "gimmick of the generation" to help "give reason to own" as some kind of added "oomph". (64DD for SNES in Japan, SegaCD for Genesis in States/Overseas).

But in general:

NES -> SNES
Master System -> Genesis

SNES -> N64
Genesis -> Saturn

N64 -> Gamecube
Saturn -> Dreamcast

PS1 -> PS2

PS2 -> PS3
Xbox 1 -> Xbox 360
GameCube -> ?

^^ in each of those generations, there was a sizable "Look at my upgrades" from one generation to another with the SOLE exception being the Wii. Naturally, Nintendo said they "Had to do something different" than continue the rat race and in part, they were correct, but it was much like your typical Madden game: All they did was change the most minimal amount they could get away with and charge you full price for the next iteration of the product/series.

But, in the end, the sheer fact that Nintendo is #1 now. <--- And that is **ALL** that matters. Does it make sense? No. But do 10.3 million people really care? Probably not.

Oh this is just horse shit. The masses want to play Wiisports. You're in the minority.

BigDug13

I think looking at history isn't necessarily the right way to go this time.

This is the only time where you have needed a different type of television to enjoy next gen gaming. Most people aren't on that bandwagon yet, and based on the continued PS2 and Wii sales, non-hardcore gamers aren't interested in next gen.

If Microsoft didn't kill off the original Xbox so soon, it would also still be selling well. Microsoft needs to get the 360 priced to a low enough level so that non-HD people will want it. $50 price cut isn't enough.

Sony has an even tougher road ahead of them. Bluray isn't blowing the competition out of the water. And when you gamble your gaming dominance away to get more bluray into homes, you expect to have a much better sales lead than 2:1 in HD disc sales and having large companies like Paramount and Dreamworks jump ship.

This generation is beyond bizarre and can't be summed up by simply comparing it to the days of the NES, or even the days of the PS2.

Count Dookkake said:
Someone with your avatar defending Narnia? Couldn't see that coming. Really.

They are terrible books for adults

First off, I don't really see what part my avatar has to play in this. Would it be any more shocking a statement had I not switched back from the DS avatar I was using until recently?

Second, they're children's books. Leaving aside C.S. Lewis' opinion that a good book for a child is a good book for an adult (one I don't really agree with anyway), judging it as an adult book is somewhat akin to judging a Brain Training game for having insufficient bald space marines.

Third, regardless of the quality of the Narnia books, the statement I was referring to doesn't work concerning the books because the Narnia books weren't some huge phenonemon that everyone and their mother was buying - nor did it threaten to change the face of the children's book industry since thematically and stylistically, many of the other children's books already shared similar traits with the Narnia books anyway. Acknowledged, from point of view of the movie, it doesn't work out very well either, because it itself was likely the offshoot of the fantasy genre wave spawned by Harry Potter and the LotR movies - nor do I know how well the Narnia movie itself sold.

Mar

DiatribeEQ said:
Honestly, there's no real "reason" for Nintendo to have won this generation. The reason why I say that, is simple: Always in the past, a system "won the race" by being not only the leader, but it got that leadership role, by having the games that everyone just wanted to play.

Everyone wants to play Wii Sports.

In previous generations, whenever you went from Generation A to Generation B, you were able to say "I could never have played a game like this last gen." or "I could never have experienced a game like this last gen."

Waggle is exactly what you are describing here.

Pachael

DiatribeEQ said:
Honestly, there's no real "reason" for Nintendo to have won this generation. The reason why I say that, is simple: Always in the past, a system "won the race" by being not only the leader, but it got that leadership role, by having the games that everyone just wanted to play.

I'd agree with that if you're just talking about past systems and all that. However as you can see, what applies in the past may not apply in the present or the future - which has fairly obviously turned to waggle-mania. It's a one waggle future! The sales figures tell us so!

Haunted One said:
understatement of the year. :lol They will lose the bet.
Well, no freaking shit!

Oh yeah, my banning is over, and I'm freshly rested, and fully baked!

Month ban for a guy I think is "special".

I must have been baked onpar with Xeke over there for that to have made any sense.

Xeke

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Well, no freaking shit!

Oh yeah, my banning is over, and I'm freshly rested, and fully baked!

Month ban for a guy I think is "special".

I must have been baked onpar with Xeke over there for that to have made any sense.

I have been known to get pretty baked.

DiatribeEQ said:
In previous generations, whenever you went from Generation A to Generation B, you were able to say "I could never have played a game like this last gen." or "I could never have experienced a game like this last gen."

You swing the controller, and your avatar swings in the game. Probably the most significant "I could never have experienced this before!" moment many people have ever had with a videogame. Giving it a cute derogatory term doesn't make it any less important (though I kind of like the word "waggle") .

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I like how the requirements for becoming the market leader is being changed because someone doesn't like the outcome.

Xeke said:
I have been known to get pretty baked.
I've been known to pee on stuff. :S

Anyway, I figure me and what's his nut will be beaten by about three to four million units by then. If they can get the stock out there maybe a lot more. Halo 3 will help, but anyone that thinks it will shoot the 360 up by the three to four million units I think the Wii will be ahead by then is just dumb.

It will help, but nothing extraordinary.

Zeed said:
That's pretty much the worst spin I've seen all thread.
Wii graphics are pretty close to 360 graphics, but you're all such graphics whores you're blinded to certain realities.

Ever heard of Fun-Shading? Exclusive to Nintendo consoles. Makes everything look more real then reality.

DiatribeEQ said:
^^ in each of those generations, there was a sizable "Look at my upgrades" from one generation to another with the SOLE exception being the Wii.
Wii clearly has a smaller graphical/processor-based leap than most generations, but looking at other upgrades I think Wii has the broadest set of improvements of any Nintendo home console shift other than maybe SNES->N64. Looking at these categories which each can allow for additions to game design possibilities...

Control:
NES->SNES: Large (Double face buttons, shoulder buttons)
SNES->N64: Large (Analog stick)
N64->GCN: Small (Cs become stick, shoulders become analog)
GCN->Wii: Large (Waggle, pointer)

Storage:
NES->SNES: Medium (ROM increases)
SNES->N64: Medium (ROM increases)
N64->GCN: Large (Jump to mini-DVD)
GCN->Wii: Medium (Full DVD)

Saving:
NES->SNES: Small (Built-in saves more common, but not new)
SNES->N64: Medium (Small Memory Pak any game could use)
N64->GCN: Medium (Much larger memory cards)
GCN->Wii: Large (Built-in flash storage, SD card support)

Multiplayer/Communication:
NES->SNES: Small (Multi-tap used somewhat more frequently. Very small.)
SNES->N64: Large (Four controller ports)
N64->GCN: Small (GBA connectivity, very little online with accessory)
GCN->Wii: Large (Built-in WiFi for online, LAN, and DS connectivity)

Processor-based:
NES->SNES: Large
SNES->N64: Large
N64->GCN: Large
GCN->Wii: Small

Sum:
NES->SNES: 2 large, 1 medium, 2 small
SNES->N64: 3 large, 2 medium
N64->GCN: 2 large, 1 medium, 2 small
GCN->Wii: 3 large, 1 medium, 1 small

LCGeek

formerly sane
Thunder Monkey said:
It'll be too much when by March or April Nintendo is sitting at 360 and PS3 combined numbers methinks.

Total GAf meltdown for everyone but those that were expecting it.

Personally can't wait just to play devil's advocate with those type reality check around then for some will probably be too much.

LCGeek said:
Personally can't wait just to play devil's advocate with those type reality check around then for some will probably be too much.
I just hope someone at Sony or MS wakes up and realizes they're losing the game before it's too late... hell with the momentum the Wii has it might be well past too late.

I'm on the side of the Wii60 fanatics, one that does new stuff, other that does old fun stuff.

But I don't especially want to see them get slaughtered, not with the way developers backed the powerhouse consoles. I like a lot of those misguided guys that didn't see the Wii coming...

tee hee

apujanata

Thunder Monkey said:
I just hope someone at Sony or MS wakes up and realizes they're losing the game before it's too late... hell with the momentum the Wii has it might be well past too late.

I'm on the side of the Wii60 fanatics, one that does new stuff, other that does old fun stuff.

But I don't especially want to see them get slaughtered, not with the way developers backed the powerhouse consoles. I like a lot of those misguided guys that didn't see the Wii coming...

tee hee

MSFT believe they are not competing against Wii. They think they are only competing against PS3.

MSFT will only realize something is wrong IF X360 S/W sales goes down or only manage to stay more or less the same in 2009 or 2010.

.dmc

Banned
apujanata said:
MSFT believe they are not competing against Wii. They think they are only competing against PS3.

That was only on the assumption that Sony would be the competitor to beat + that Nintendo was chasing some kind of 'other'. Now that it's clear that Nintendo are going for the 80% of casual PS2 owners as well as 'other', you can be damn sure that MS will be interested in keeping as much marketshare from Nintendo as possible.

Neo C.

Thunder Monkey said:
What should they do? They are already losing money, lots of money...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
apujanata said:

I think they realize the Wii's threat level better than Sony does.

Remember the two "big" announcements at MS's press conference? A new controller that everybody can play with and a Mario Party clone.

Neo C. said:
What should they do? They are already losing money, lots of money...

I had a huge post all ready for primetime, going over their mistakes, and just plain bad plans. (ten year lifecycle? Yeah... right)

When I realized what I said has been said millions of times before.

They need the price, and the games. Not just shooters, not just sports titles, but everything. From the shitty shovelware, to the RPG's everyone loves to hate, and they need that sense of new that the Wii has, which is much harder to replicate.

They just might be screwed to be honest. With little able to get them out of it.

Pureauthor said:
Quality post

The avatar thing was intended as a goof about the allegory in Narnia. Could have been better worded. Sorry.

I totally agree with your take on the film. I would have preferred to see it with its own look and not LOTRkidz.

Neo C.

Thunder Monkey said:
They need the price, and the games. Not just shooters, not just sports titles, but everything. From the shitty shovelware, to the RPG's everyone loves to hate, and they need that sense of new that the Wii has, which is much harder to replicate.
You know, this isn't a proper answer to this:
I just hope someone at Sony or MS wakes up and realizes they're losing the game before it's too late
Even when they realized it before 2007, the reaction (or the game-output) won't happen before 2009 (speaking from the majority, there surely are a few games coming next year).

I'm pretty sure Sony and MS know how bad the situation is. Unfortunately they can't react immediately. In this business, you make your bet in the beginning and you don't have the time to change it in the middle of the generation.

Neo C. said:
You know, this isn't a proper answer to this:

Even when they realized it before 2007, the reaction (or the game-output) won't happen before 2009 (speaking from the majority, there surely are a few games coming next year).

I'm pretty sure Sony and MS know how bad the situation is. Unfortunately they can't react immediately. In this business, you make your bet in the beginning and you don't have the time to change it in the middle of the generation.
Oh, I realize that.

Heh. I said they had to do something before realizing there's pretty much nothing they can do but ride it out.

Hehe, well at the very least I'm a Wii owner. It might be slow, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of great games to enjoy through out this gen, as will I when I own a 360.

Top Bottom