• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii have taken over! From a reliable source..

koam

ksamedi said:
The point you made is valid for the PS3, not for the 360. Thats what i said, as it stands now is that 360 software sales are very good and that means there is money to be made. Abandoning the 360 is leaving money on the table. Expanding development teams so that publishers can make quality Wii and 360 software at the same time is the smart thing to do.

You're probably going to see butchered 360 ports of Wii games. Wii is going to become the main platform once the PS2 is dead so you're bound to see a bunch of 360 games that are basically with games, with HD textures and retro controls. See Rayman Raving Rabbits.

Livin_Lovin said:
God, it's a valid complaint. Third party support isn't there yet. Could it be coming? Seems like it should be, but for right now it isn't so complaining about the non diversity of the library is a very valid complaint until Nintendo shows it's courting anyone else except themselves.
Why do they have to court the third parties? As if the numbers don't speak for themselves enough. Third parties aren't in the position of courting anymore if you're Nintendo.

They tried it last gen and it didn't work(and was thier undoing 10 years ago) but decided to just go with a laizzes faire approach this time around.

They're better off investing all that moneyhat in investing in games they create or outsourcing to devs they have a very good relationship with since thats when they truly shine. Moneyhat for the sake of moneyhats will give us CC and the GBA link cables.

Pureauthor said:
It's apparently really good, based on such illustrious people as sp0rsk and Anihawk.
Anybody who plays the game with their eyes open will pee their pants. There is no in-joke to be found. The excitement and love for this game is truly legit.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
D3VI0US said:
Does it have them?
6b1bpna.jpg

yes it does, but thankfully it has no upper body :lol

LOCK said:
Are you living under a rock.

Its very valid to say that the best games right now on the system are first party games, and that may not change for the rest of the year, but in no way is there a lack of third party games.

I'll ask you this then, name some of the quality third party titles out there right now. Oh, and please don't include ports, I already own Resident Evil 4.

Livin_Lovin said:
I'll ask you this then, name some of the quality third party titles out there right now. Oh, and please don't include ports, I already own Resident Evil 4.

Would there even be a point in answering you? You seem pretty set on how you feel.

Frillen

koam said:
You're probably going to see butchered 360 ports of Wii games. Wii is going to become the main platform once the PS2 is dead so you're bound to see a bunch of 360 games that are basically with games, with HD textures and retro controls. See Rayman Raving Rabbits.

That's discussable. Uptill this point 360 Software sales has been outstanding. Especially third-party titles. I don't know how many third-party million sellers the 360 has, but I know it's a good amount.

Secondly, I think it will be extremely difficult for many developers to port games from the Wii to the 360. It has a totally different control scheme. And games that works perfectly well for the Wii only works decent or mediocre for the standard control scheme. You just mentioned a perfect example; Rayman. The 360 version sucked and sold horrible, and for a reason. It was meant for the Wii, meant for Wii controller, not the 360 controller. That there will be no 360 version of Rayman 2 backs my argument.

Lastly, but most importantly, most developers should have enough resources to develop for two different markets. One market for the Wii and one for the 360/PS3. Software sales shows this. Games meant for the Wii sells great, games meant for the 360/PS3 sells. It's that simple.

Terrell

Livin_Lovin said:
Well, I want to want a Wii. I tried to like Nintendo with Gamecube. Please, convince me.
I'm sure you did.

Kororinpa was nice, pretty fun to tool around with, but I'm sure you'd have something snarky to say about that, such as "minigame am total" or what have you.

Madden '07 played wonderfully, as far as I'm concerned, looking to see what tweaks they make in '08 this year.

Metal Slug Anthology was good, as well, and since Metal Slug 2 and 6 were not included in any other home console release, it can still qualify as not being a port. So there.

Sonic was a hell of a lot better on Wii than that abomination on 360 and PS3. Wasn't exactly the best Sonic game ever, but not nearly as bad as people make it sound.

Elebits was a "love it or leave it" sort of game. Really appealed to some in the same sort of vein Katamari did, but like Katamari, this really isn't everyone's bag.

Frillen

Livin_Lovin said:
Well, I want to want a Wii. I tried to like Nintendo with Gamecube. Please, convince me.

Well, as crazy as the Wii sells right now, it will get WAY more exclusive titles compared to the Gamecube. But it's hard to convince someone to buy a console. You have to choose yourself. You either like Nintendo or you don't.

Terrell said:
I'm sure you did.

Kororinpa was nice, pretty fun to tool around with, but I'm sure you'd have something snarky to say about that, such as "minigame am total" or what have you.

Madden '07 played wonderfully, as far as I'm concerned, looking to see what tweaks they make in '08 this year.

Metal Slug Anthology was good, as well, and since Metal Slug 2 and 6 were not included in any other home console release, it can still qualify as not being a port. So there.

Sonic was a hell of a lot better on Wii than that abomination on 360 and PS3. Wasn't exactly the best Sonic game ever, but not nearly as bad as people make it sound.

Elebits was a "love it or leave it" sort of game. Really appealed to some in the same sort of vein Katamari did, but like Katamari, this really isn't everyone's bag.

Smooth...And its true, most of those games (If not all) don't scream insta-buy.

Oh, and for the record, I've played Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros Melee, and Super Mario Sunshine. It's just that I don't want more of that again.

Brak

Livin_Lovin said:

Oh, and for the record, I've played Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros Melee, and Super Mario Sunshine. It's just that I don't want more of that again.
Take it outside...

Nobody cares if you want a Wii or not.

Terrell

Livin_Lovin said:

OK, so let's turn this around...

Name some system-selling 3rd-party Xbox 360 games that aren't shooters that I can get right now.

Livin_Lovin said:

Have you played any of them? Kororinpa is one of the best games I've played in years.

Frillen said:
Well, as crazy as the Wii sells right now, it will get WAY more exclusive titles compared to the Gamecube. But it's hard to convince someone to buy a console. You have to choose yourself. You either like Nintendo or you don't.

i dont like Nintendo (1st party) games NEARLY as much as i did during the nes and snes era, and I went with a wii(60).

to me the last 2 gens (aside from mario 64) were about the NON nintendo exclusives (Goldeneye, Aki Wrasslin, Resident Evil Remake / 4, Eternal Darkness).

I mean ill get Galaxy but if anything I wanna see what cool 3rd party exclusives are cooked up on Wii

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Any console that has a 30% defect rate because it was rushed to market doesnt DESERVE to be number one. I can give anyone in here 5.400 reasons why I'm happy to see the Wii take the lead from 360.

Salmonax

Livin_Lovin said:
These are among the most annoying posts one can pull out of the Trollodex™.

"I've decided to hate this console/game, and although I won't listen, please waste your time telling me why I shouldn't!"

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Livin_Lovin said:

What DO you want?

(Please don't blissfully say "Madden" or "Halo".)

I'll throw a little something on the fire here:

Question: Does Bioshock and Halo 3 make the 360 competitve with the Wii this christmas or not?

And I'm talking worldwide sales here.

Salmonax

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Does Bioshock and Halo 3 make the 360 competitve with the Wii this christmas or not?

And I'm talking worldwide sales here.
Worldwide? Doubtful. In North America? Possibly.

Deku

Banned
Abstract discussions about what might happen aside, the disappointing sales of independent publishers on the HD consoles, spiraling costs, and increased competition from internally developed titles seem to point to a rather obvious outcome.

gcubed

Salmonax said:
Worldwide? Doubtful. In North America? Possibly.

absolutely no way. They sold almost half a million Wii's in ONE MONTH... in JULY. They only way the 360 gets close to the Wii sales this year is due to supply issues.

Zeed said:
PlayStation Magazine has an agenda...against the PlayStation? What?

and please, you had to know about it if you did anything besides read the one single line in that page. Dont make yourself look like a jackass

gcubed said:
absolutely no way. They sold almost half a million Wii's in ONE MONTH... in JULY. They only way the 360 gets close to the Wii sales this year is due to supply issues.
So you're saying there's absolutely no way those supply issues could be... an issue?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I love the bitter tears in this thread. Which is the #1 reason Im enjoying Nintendo's success. Shows most people here don't have a fucking clue what the average consumer wants and enjoys.

honestly tho, who's making MONEY where.

let's use EA as an example since they are the 3rd party worldwide leader:

where is their money coming from? wii sales? or 360?

i suspect, much like any nintendo console post-snes, that the only people selling game units/making money is nintendo. they could sell 20 million consoles, but are 3rd parties selling units? or is everyone buying 1st party titles?

i am not being facetious. i'd truly like to know other than nintendo -- and other than launch titles -- what wii games have sold 500,000+?

stewacide

Barkley's Justice said:
i am not being facetious. i'd truly like to know other than nintendo -- and other than launch titles -- what wii games have sold 500,000+?

What third-party title deserved to?

The only AAA third-party title so far on the Wii is the RE4 port! (and arguably Red Steel in terms of budget/promotion, and it sold +1 mil)

stewacide said:
What third-party title deserved to?

The only AAA third-party title so far on the Wii is the RE4 port! (and arguably Red Steel in terms of budget/promotion, and it sold +1 mil)

that's not the point tho. like i said, nintendo can sell more consoles than anyone else and as far as nintendo cares they could be the only publisher of games on the system, so long as they're making their loot. and if you as a gamer are ok with that homogenized publisher library, cool. but otherwise, 3rd parties will go where there's money to be made. if they sell more units on 360 or ps3 despite said consoles having less worldwide penetration, they're going to stay there.

ksamedi

Barkley's Justice said:
that's not the point tho. like i said, nintendo can sell more consoles than anyone else and as far as nintendo cares they could be the only publisher of games on the system, so long as they're making their loot. and if you as a gamer are ok with that homogenized publisher library, cool. but otherwise, 3rd parties will go where there's money to be made. if they sell more units on 360 or ps3 despite said consoles having less worldwide penetration, they're going to stay there.

No they wont, every buisness is based on profit and even more importantly, growth. Every third party publisher will shrink if they stick to the 360/PS3 especially if you think about systems like the PS1 and PS2 which sold 100 million + units. Growth for these publishers is being succesfull on the 360 but also being succesfull on the Wii. Publishers will come up with stuff that selld on the Wii, even if that means firing there staff and hiring new ones.

ksamedi said:
No they wont, every buisness is based on profit and even more importantly, growth. Every third party publisher will shrink if they stick to the 360/PS3 especially if you think about systems like the PS1 and PS2 which sold 100 million + units. Growth for these publishers is being succesfull on the 360 but also being succesfull on the Wii. Publishers will come up with stuff that selld on the Wii, even if that means firing there staff and hiring new ones.

Even with the sales of the Wii, all we've heard from publishers and developers is press release after press release about how they should've focused on Wii or how there might be a shift in the development process, but beyond these statements there's been no true lasting evidence that this is going to happen. Perhaps they feel that the core gamers are looking for those meaty experiences on one of the more hardcore-based consoles.

Proc

Livin_Lovin said:
Perhaps they feel that the core gamers are looking for those meaty experiences on one of the more hardcore-based consoles.

The Wii can be just as hardcore-based as its competitors. Unless if hardcore is defined by a gamepad and winning the poly-count contest.

Proc said:
The Wii can be just as hardcore-based as its competitors. Unless if hardcore is defined by a gamepad and winning the poly-count contest.

I'm not saying it can't be. The base of those two systems are more steeped in the hardcore though.

ksamedi

Livin_Lovin said:
Even with the sales of the Wii, all we've heard from publishers and developers is press release after press release about how they should've focused on Wii or how there might be a shift in the development process, but beyond these statements there's been no true lasting evidence that this is going to happen. Perhaps they feel that the core gamers are looking for those meaty experiences on one of the more hardcore-based consoles.

Publishers will branch out eventually, whats going on right now is that every publisher wants a quick cash in from the casual audiance but (and rightfully so) that isnt working for them. The big games will probably come out near the end of 2008 and early 2009 because these games take a while to make. 360 is still the main platform for the hardcore gamer though, and thats probably never going to change because its so specialized in that area.

DreD

I think Activision's CEO (Robert Kotick) said it best when he said that independant publishers haven't had success on Nintendo's console in the past few years simply because they never really focused and tried to compete with Nintendo on their own hardware.

EDIT:

Finally, asked about the Wii and third party versus first party success, officials explained that because, in the last cycle, Nintendo's GameCube console "wasn't well differentiated" from its competition, and didn't have level of success it thought Nintendo expected, the console "really became a non-strategic platform," with Activision primarily porting its licensed franchises to the system.

The result was that Nintendo itself had an "unusual advantage" for most of its past few hardware releases and Nintendo software was regularly seen as better.

It's inevitable that the Wii will get some hardcore games. If the DS can get Dragon Quest from the Playstation, I don't see why everyone thinks support on the Wii has to remain weak.

Hopefully that KH rumor turns out to be true. That'd be a massive defection that would silence this talk about how the Wii's game support will exist only in Nintendo's bubble.

ksamedi said:
Publishers will branch out eventually, whats going on right now is that every publisher wants a quick cash in from the casual audiance but (and rightfully so) that isnt working for them. The big games will probably come out near the end of 2008 and early 2009 because these games take a while to make. 360 is still the main platform for the hardcore gamer though, and thats probably never going to change because its so specialized in that area.

It's just hard to see the light above the trees when no announcements for support have come out and because Nintendo keeps their shit so under wraps that nobody knows what the hell, beyond Mario Kart, is going to happen in 2008.

KINGMOKU

Barkley's Justice said:
:lol It's not the point? It's the WHOLE point.

Third-party games for the Wii have been downright pathetic. You start putting the wealth, and sheer amount of great games on the Wii, you'll see third-party sales go thru the damn roof.

This whole discussion is pointless anyway. By march of next year, when the Wii has sold thru the combined install base of both the other systems, either third-parties start making the Wii its main platform, or suffer some incredibly lean ass years. Period.

Top Bottom