• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex coming to SF V on March / PS3 sticks compatible.

vg260

I have absolutely zero issues with paid DLC characters in fighting games. My issue is the state SF V is launching in. It's incredibly barebones. If you're going to launch a $60 game with a light content load, I expect easily obtainable, free DLC for the foreseeable future. 16 characters at launch and only a handful of modes is completely unacceptable if free DLC isn't on the way shortly afterwards. And no, I don't consider grinding for dozens of hours to be "free". I do commend Capcom for creating a free story mode update though, which launches in June.

Capcom should have made all DLC until September completely free with little to no grinding and then started charging for characters after that point. 22 characters seems perfectly reasonable at $60.

I could see the latter part as being somewhat reasonable with moderate grinding, but even 6 characters for a fighting game is a ton of development work. I think asking minimal no work for characters is a bit unrealistic. I don't think it will be anywhere as ridiculous as KI was where you literally had to play for hundreds of hours just to unlock all 9 colors for each character.

Splatoon may not have been worth the price at launch but it's received an insane amount of content post-launch, all free.

SF V, in my opinion, is not worth $60 price at launch and since it will be quite difficult for the average player to receive the DLC for free post-launch, won't be worth $60 then either. Unless of course there is a bunch of free content coming that I'm unaware of. If SF V had comparable modes to other fighting games in 2016 at launch, I really wouldn't care about the lack of characters.
I responded to you before but you might have missed it, there are free modes and content coming after launch. Like I said wait until June. Off the top of my head, spectator mode, the full story mode update, costumes, stages, and characters should added to the base game by then.

so i really bout a hrap v for no reason

i wonder if they'll confirm PS button prompts for PC. really don't wanna see that weird joypad 14 mess

leehom

The PS3 joystick support is great news.

I don't have to purchase another PS4 stick and mod it now. Can use my other two PS3 joysticks. :D

Was about to put my PS3 sticks for sale too. Now I can keep them.

naib

My fusion lives on! I think I'm actually gonna order a new plexi and put something under there.

Not that I hate the RAP4, just not really feeling the hayabusa/kuro combo. Gonna be my guest stick.

Great news.

I could see the latter part as being somewhat reasonable with moderate grinding, but even 6 characters for a fighting game is a ton of development work. I think asking minimal no work for characters is a bit unrealistic. I don't think it will be anywhere as ridiculous as KI was where you literally had to play for hundreds of hours just to unlock all 9 colors for each character.

I understand that characters take a ton of time and effort to create. My issue is the base roster of 16. That's really low. It wouldn't be a big sticking point for me if the game had a plethora of modes instead, but it doesn't. At least not at launch.

I responded to you before but you might have missed it, there are free modes and content coming after launch. Like I said wait until June. Off the top of my head, spectator mode, the full story mode update, costumes, stages, and characters should added to the base game by then.

Yeah, I'm aware of the upcoming free modes. They're really the only reason I'm not planning on skipping this game altogether.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Content to Dollars wise, I think it's fine to look at SFV as a 40 dollar release ($20 for each 8 character "season") with a $20 Lifetime pass, that entitles you to access to all character to be released, with no FORCED additional cost added atop that.

I mean, for SF, that's GREAT. I'm normally asked to pay between 15 to 60+ dollars for new character in this series, yearly. But now my $60 release price will cover me from like... 2016, to 2022 or so, without NEEDING to pay more money? That's cool.

Saving me 80 ~ 200+ dollars by making my old stick compatible will work out good for them down the line, because I'll be more likely to put some of those dollars Capcom's way directly, in cosmetic DLC. I don't mind giving some money to a game that continues to give me enjoyment.

If Alex really is in March, I guess we'll see a trailer soon. Cool. I'm not personally that hype for any of the first year DLC characters by name only, but I look forward to seeing if any of them are well done enough to make me consider them over the current cast, which is pretty full of characters I already like.

Lothars

Splatoon may not have been worth the price at launch but it's received an insane amount of content post-launch, all free.

SF V, in my opinion, is not worth $60 price at launch and since it will be quite difficult for the average player to receive the DLC for free post-launch, won't be worth $60 then either. Unless of course there is a bunch of free content coming that I'm unaware of. If SF V had comparable modes to other fighting games in 2016 at launch, I really wouldn't care about the lack of characters.
I don't believe it will be quite difficult for the average player, If they put time into the game they will be able to unlock some of the dlc characters.

SFV is having free costumes and content like story mode coming after launch anyway but I still feel it has more content and better content than what your example Splatoon launched with since it took it at least 4 months to get the content that was locked on disc, That's not an issue with SFV, nothing is being locked on disc.

Splatoon now is worth it for most people but it wasn't an overnight thing. IF you like fighting games I would argue that SFV will be worth it at launch.

mattp

wait one per month, instead of 1 every 2 months?
that means after 6 months there's not gonna be any characters for the rest of the year?

No it isn't. Not low at all for the initial roster of a brand new fighting game.

It's pretty low when the rest of your game isn't compensating for it. Most games with rosters at that level have a pretty substantial set of modes to play with.

For most hardcore SF fans, you're not going to care. You'll easily get most, if not all, DLC for free. For someone like me who loves SF but isn't hardcore, that's probably not going to be possible. I don't play against others online, for example.

Obviously I'm not sure how much the daily challenges and SP content will affect how much Fight Money we will earn, but in the last beta you earned 0 fight money for loses in and 50 fight money for wins in ranked.

If new characters costs 100,000 FM, that's 2000 wins in ranked play. Looks like newer players or casuals are in trouble if they weren't planning on buying the Season Pass...

This is actually amazing news. As long as I get Ingrid in 2017 and not 2018, I'm happy. I do like the approach they are taking here with a character each month. I do feel SFV needs diversity in the roster to expand though. Many top players are claiming SFV is boring according to my friend. Honestly, just give me Rose and Ingrid and I won't use anyone else. The only character I really like in this game is Mika and Cammy because she was my main in IV.

I understand that characters take a ton of time and effort to create. My issue is the base roster of 16. That's really low. It wouldn't be a big sticking point for me if the game had a plethora of modes instead, but it doesn't. At least not at launch.

Yeah, I'm aware of the upcoming free modes. They're really the only reason I'm not planning on skipping this game altogether.
I mean the game is designed to be an upgrade product, it's not like the story mode update is it, there isn't going to be any Super versions or Ultimate SFV, so logically year 1 game will be drastically different from year 2 and 3. I mean if content is your issue, you're coming off a bit shortsighted IMO. This model is design to keep building on the base product it's not going to stop until next gen lol. Patience man!!

vg260

I get it. I'm just cutting them some slack based on them taking a risk with an otherwise very customer friendly model where you don't ever need to drop another $60 (or $40) on a new disc/update. I think that's fair price of entry given the risk and potential benefits.

Thores

I thought they said 1 a month?
They previously said roughly one every two months.

Though if they stick strictly to that release schedule, they're going to run out of 2016 before they've launched all 6 characters. One character roughly every month till September would make more sense if they're able to do it.

Pachimari

Okay, I'm probably gonna go for Street Fighter V on Feb 16, and starve for the rest of the month. So which of these two controllers would be best to get?

Hori Fighting Commander 4

24799835032_370a329f4d_o.jpg

Fighting Commander (PS4/PC)

I mean the game is designed to be an upgrade product, it's not like the story mode update is it, there isn't going to be any Super versions or Ultimate SFV, so logically year 1 game will be drastically different from year 2 and 3. I mean if content is your issue, you're coming off a bit shortsighted IMO. This model is design to keep building on the base product it's not going to stop until next gen lol. Patience man!!

No no no, I LOVE this type of model. My only issue is making a lot of the post-release content "free" only to the hardcore players.

I feel that if you launch a barebones product at $60, you need to provide a pretty substantial amount of free DLC in the future to compensate for it. That's it.

Because of this, I'll buy the game at $40 and drop $20 for the season pass. That seems fair. There's no way I'm going to be able to grind for the characters, being a casual fan of the series. I'd rather the game have launched at $40 (or even $50) but oh well.

Edit - Damnit the season pass is $30!

Mediking

The only thing that kinda sucks but is it be expected is that SFV will undoubtedly have numerous updates that will take up space on my PS4.

I'm buying the Season Pass to save myself the agony of spending Fight Money on characters. I rather save all it for costumes.

No no no, I LOVE this type of model. My only issue is making a lot of the post-release content "free" only to the hardcore players.

I feel that if you launch a barebones product at $60, you need to provide a pretty substantial amount of free DLC in the future to compensate for it. That's it.

Because of this, I'll buy the game at $40 and drop $20 for the season pass. That seems fair. I'd rather the game have launched at $40 (or even $50) but oh well.
What do you consider hardcore? I wouldn't consider myself hardcore at all, average at best and even I did pretty decent in the beta and made a good amount of fight money as well. Hell I was even using a regular PS4 controller.

You did say you don't play online so I guess that will make a difference in making a lot of fight money in a short time, so hopefully the single player content will work out for you.

So if Alex is first, perhaps this picture really does line up with the release order.

SFV_SeasonPass.jpg

Alex - March
Guile - April
Balrog - May
Ibuki - June
Juri - July
Urien - August

I hope not. I don't want to wait that long for Juri. I'm also suspicious about that source. The link isn't working. I'm going to search for another one.

What do you consider hardcore? I wouldn't consider myself hardcore at all, average at best and even I did pretty decent in the beta and made a good amount of fight money as well. Hell I was even using a regular PS4 controller.

You did say you don't play online so I guess that will make a difference in making a lot of fight money in a short time, so hopefully the single player content will work out for you.

Maybe I should just try playing online. I'm worried I'm going to get my ass handed to me constantly though, which is why I'm hesitant.

Tizoc

Obviously I'm not sure how much the daily challenges and SP content will affect how much Fight Money we will earn, but in the last beta you earned 0 fight money for loses in and 50 fight money for wins in ranked.

If new characters costs 100,000 FM, that's 2000 wins in ranked play. Looks like newer players or casuals are in trouble if they weren't planning on buying the Season Pass...

Eh we don't know how much they'll be priced or how FM will be distributed do we?

vg260

Maybe I should just try playing online. I'm worried I'm going to get my ass handed to me constantly though, which is why I'm hesitant.

It's intimidating at first, but as someone who played single player for ages, it's a whole different game when you play versus real people. (not sure if you're playing 2P offline). If the matchmaking is decent, you'll eventually find a groove. The first week or so may be rough when everyone's at the same starting point though. It takes a bit to sort itself out.

And no, I don't consider grinding for dozens of hours to be "free". I do commend Capcom for creating a free story mode update though, which launches in June.

I love how "playing the game I enjoy" suddenly becomes "grinding" when the magic words "DLC" are uttered.

For years, people have whined about wanting unlockable characters, rather than paid DLC characters. "Remember the good old days when you could just unlock characters by playing instead of having to pay money for them?"

Well, those days are back! And, what's the reaction?

"I don't want to 'grind' for characters."

BTW, 16 characters is not "light" for a debut roster. Especially when those characters are created from the ground up, with all new animations like in SF5 and GGXrd (unlike, say, Tekken, where a lot of old animations are simply copypasted over into the sequels, allowing for big debut rosters). So, unless you have Warner Brothers' Bugs Bunny Money backing you like MK now does, 16 characters in a well made, functioning debut fighting game is NOT "light".

Not when additional free ones are already guaranteed, as is the case with SF5.

qcf x2

Why worry? You're going to be matched with players at your relative skill level. Besides that, there isn't a physical consequence for getting your ass handed to you now and then. It's just a game. You lose, you learn, you improve, you value the game more. I do understand the upset about it being a barebones release, though. It's looking more and more like Capcom should have just delayed the game by a month; few except the stream monsters would care if it means a better product. We'll see if they get hammered by the press for it.

I'm hesitant to believe the report in the OP until confirmed (I guess tonight). I thought they had been saying 1 character every other month for a while now. Every month is awesome, but sounds like it might be early overkill and lead to frustration when the inevitable extended gap between seasons comes.

I love how "playing the game I enjoy" suddenly becomes "grinding" when the magic words "DLC" are uttered.

Gamer mentality is so interesting these days.

For years, people have whined about wanting unlockable characters, rather than paid DLC characters. "Remember the good old days when you could just unlock characters by playing instead of having to pay money for them?"

Well, those days are back! And, what's the reaction?

"I don't want to 'grind' for characters."

BTW, 16 characters is not "light" for a debut roster. Especially when those characters are created from the ground up, with all new animations like in SF5 and GGXrd (unlike, say, Tekken, where a lot of old animations are simply copypasted over into the sequels, allowing for big debut rosters). So, unless you have Warner Brothers' Bugs Bunny Money backing you like MK now does, 16 characters in a well made, functioning debut fighting game is NOT "light".

Not when additional free ones are already guaranteed, as is the case with SF5.

Having to win hundreds of matches online is completely different from how it was in the past. I don't know how you even thought such a comparison was even remotely appropriate. That's not how it worked in the past.

I can LOVE playing a game but if I have to win hundreds of matches online to unlock a single character, uh, yeah, that's grinding. Some may love the grind and some may hate it....but it is what it is.

And yes, 16 characters is light when the rest of your package is barebones. To be fair, more modes are being added post-launch.

Yudoken

Then the game shouldn't be $60.

This game is launching with an extremely light amount of content. I shouldn't have to put in a ton of work to unlock the DLC. I don't mind if I have to put in some work but if I'm having to grind for dozens of hours to unlock a single character, that's bullshit. And if I choose to pay for the season pass instead, I'm basically paying $80 for the amount of content that would have normally been given to me in a $60 fighting game.

Splatoon, for all of its issues, handled this better. If you're going to launch your game like this, it needs free DLC post-launch and that DLC needs to be easy to obtain. I'm almost certainly waiting for a price drop now.

I realize many in this thread will disagree with me and that's totally fine.

I actually agree but on pc you can get it way cheaper from good stores.
On PS4 you have to pay whatever Sony wants.

Dudley first ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

YES

Top Bottom