• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Oscar Nominees to receive a gift bag worth $200k

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
200k would change my life right now. For them, it's just a gift bag. This world is bananas sometimes. I understand the reasoning behind why they receive such gifts, but it doesn't make it easier to process.

200k would change my life right now. For them, it's just a gift bag. This world is bananas sometimes. I understand the reasoning behind why they receive such gifts, but it doesn't make it easier to process.

Well it's just estimated value, it's not like they get 200k in cash, most of these gifts are worthless garbage

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Well it's just estimated value, it's not like they get 200k in cash, most of these gifts are worthless garbage
Well, that's my point. The amount of money being spent on these exorbitant gift bags. Offers and items that most of which are of no use to the people they are giving it to.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not that I ever expect to be going to the Oscars but I'd probably just donate the bag for charity. If I'm successful enough to get into the Oscars I'm probably not struggling for cash and besides, what poor kid doesn't want a Vampire Breast Lift?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have no envy of them being rich or popular at all. You get what you earn

Eh, that's not really true, not when talking about these extremely lucky people. Not saying there isn't any talent involved, but there are thousands or even millions of people who could have been one of these people had they only been in the right place at the right time, or born to the right parents or whatever. But they weren't, so they never will be, no matter what they do or how talented they are. You can't just say "you get what you earn", as if everyone who isn't getting all of that just didn't work hard enough for it. All these famous and very rich people (which, granted, not every Oscar nominee necessarily is - yet) arguably get far more than they "earn" by any reasonable standard.

Jag

Eh, that's not really true, not when talking about these extremely lucky people. Not saying there isn't any talent involved, but there are thousands or even millions of people who could have been one of these people had they only been in the right place at the right time, or born to the right parents or whatever. But they weren't, so they never will be, no matter what they do or how talented they are. You can't just say "you get what you earn", as if everyone who isn't getting all of that just didn't work hard enough for it. All these famous and very rich people (which, granted, not every Oscar nominee necessarily is - yet) arguably get far more than they "earn" by any reasonable standard.

effort+talent+luck = life

E92 M3

That's pretty cool they get nifty gift bags. Sopranos had an episode that touched on this subject.

edit: I was beaten like a dead horse

Well, that's my point. The amount of money being spent on these exorbitant gift bags. Offers and items that most of which are of no use to the people they are giving it to.
Most of it is only costing money when they use it. I doubt all of them are going on a 55.000 Japan hiking trip for example. If it is no use to them, money hasn't even been spent on it (outside of the deal with the Oscars to get into the gift bag).

Oersted

These gift bags are attempts to advertise products/services by a variety of companies. If you can get a celebrity to use your thing, it usually gives your business a boost. I often see people think that award ceremony attendees are just being showered with gifts for being fabulous, but that's not exactly the rationale behind it.

There is that sex toy part...

Seriously, I'd like to know which Zionist group pulled favours to have a trip to Israel be included in that package.
It's almost certainly less conspiratorial than you think. It's probably just a travel agency that specializes in in Israel ponying up an expensive enough of a trip to be included.

I don't think Leo was there for the gift bag...
Caui-wCWwAALCpu.jpg

Golden Globes 2.0 right there.

He can't believe he'll receive his Oscar the same night she gets hers
I hope not

entremet

I'm not getting the criticism to the Israel trip.

Very wacky. You can disagree with a country's foreign policy but still be curious from a tourists perspective. Lots of history there.

Some of you have some strange objections.

Very wacky. You can disagree with a country's foreign policy but still be curious from a tourists perspective. Lots of history there.

Right, Israel is a beautiful country with a rich history. Someone gives you a free first class trip and 10 day tour, I'm not turning it down because I don't agree with the politics

Think it has to do with "Jews" running Hollywood mentality.

nib95

Banned
What about this thread makes you think it's an appropriate place to drag that argument in?

Why wouldn't it be? They're giving away free first class tickets to a trip to Israel, to all the attendees of the Oscars, that means producers, directors, actors, publishers everything. Some of the most powerful and/or popular people in media, with huge amounts of influence and sway. The subject of Israel's political situation seems more poignant than ever given the context no?

I hope a trip to Palestine is included, though of course it won't be. It will be the complete opposite, completely ignoring the tremendous oppression, strife, land left and punishment the state is placing on their neighbour. You have to wonder if any of the hotels or places these Oscar attendees will visit in Israel will actually be in occupied territories.

entremet

Why wouldn't it be? They're giving away free first class tickets to a trip to Israel, to all the attendees of the Oscars, that means producers, directors, actors, publishers everything. Some of the most powerful people in media, with huge amounts of influence and sway. The subject of Israel's political situation seems more poignant than ever given the context no?

I hope a trip to Palestine is included, though of course it won't be. It will be the complete opposite, completely ignoring the tremendous strife, land left and punishment the state is placing on their neighbour. You have to wonder if any of the hotels or places these Oscar attendees will visit in Israel will actually be in occupied territories.
Hollywood leftist types have been pretty pro Palestinian state, though.

nib95

Banned
Hollywood leftist types have been pretty pro Palestinian state, though.

Which is why I'm both especially interested in what becomes of this, and highly cynical too. Clearly a move by Israel (whether co-ordinated by the government, it's tourism sectors, lobbies, corporations, or who knows) to try and usher a change of tune and of hearts and minds.

Matt

Why wouldn't it be? They're giving away free first class tickets to a trip to Israel, to all the attendees of the Oscars, that means producers, directors, actors, publishers everything. Some of the most powerful and/or popular people in media, with huge amounts of influence and sway. The subject of Israel's political situation seems more poignant than ever given the context no?

These are only being given to the acting and directing nominees...

I hope a trip to Palestine is included, though of course it won't be. It will be the complete opposite, completely ignoring the tremendous oppression, strife, land left and punishment the state is placing on their neighbour. You have to wonder if any of the hotels or places these Oscar attendees will visit in Israel will actually be in occupied territories.
It's a vacation to promote Israeli tourism. Are cruise companies being dishonest by only taking passengers to the beautiful parts of the Caribbean?

entremet

Which is why I'm both especially interested in what becomes of this, and highly cynical too. Clearly a move by Israel (whether co-ordinated by the government, it's tourism sectors, lobbies, corporations, or who knows) to try and usher a change of tune and of hearts and minds.
I don't equate tourism with foreign policy personally.

But that's just me.

China is fantastic and diverse country and I disagree with many of their decisions, but I'm not boycotting them by refusing to visit it.

Heck my own country bombs innocent civilians.

You'd really be limiting yourself travelwise if that was a big consideration.

nib95

Banned
These are only being given to the acting and directing nominees...

It's a vacation to promote Israeli tourism. Are cruise companies being dishonest by only taking passengers to the beautiful parts of the Caribbean?

Ok, and actors and directors don't have massive influence? What's your point?

And of course it's a vacation to promote Israel, but it is questionable that the Oscars allowed it given the political ramifications and current situation surrounding Israel's illegal occupation and expansion of territories. They are unique to any other nation in the world in that regard.

And what an absolutely nonsense comparison with the Caribbean. Is the Caribbean currently occupying or stealing foreign land, expanding settlements illegally, responsible for the displacement of millions of civilians, the segregation and degradation of an entire people etc? I mean, it's essentially an Apartheid regime the Oscars are allowing freebie trips to. Think about the bigger picture. It's not just another holiday destination.

Matt

Ok, and actors and directors don't have massive influence? What's your point?
Well, my point was that when you said that they were giving free trips to Israel to all Oscars attendees, that was wrong. Like, really, really, really wrong. Incredibly wrong. Really hard to be more wrong. Almost impressively wrong.

That was it, just a matter of clarification.

And of course it's a vacation to promote Israel, but it is questionable that the Oscars allowed it given the political ramifications and current situation surrounding Israel's illegal occupation and expansion of territories. They are unique to any other nation in the world in that regard.

And what an absolutely nonsense comparison with the Caribbean. Is the Caribbean currently occupying or stealing foreign land, expanding settlements illegally, responsible for the displacement of millions of civilians, the segregation and degradation of an entire people etc? I mean, it's essentially an Apartheid regime the Oscars are allowing freebie trips to. Think about the bigger picture. It's not just another holiday destination.
Israel is just another holiday destination. There are countries all over the world whose government are participating in massively horrible things, but no one really questions the morality of simply visiting these places. If I go to see the Great Wall, I am NOT supporting China's expansionist policies in Southeast Asia. Obviously.

Sounds like a joke.

Oscar nominee 1 - A trip to Israel and a dildo? Seems like a strange choice.

Oscar nominee 2 - Well if they don't want to go to Israel, they can fuck themselves!

nib95

Banned
Well, my point was that when you said that they were giving free trips to Israel to all Oscars attendees, that was wrong. Like, really, really, really wrong. Incredibly wrong. Really hard to be more wrong. Almost impressively wrong.

That was it, just a matter of clarification.

Israel is just another holiday destination. There are countries all over the world whose government are participating in massively horrible things, but no one really questions the morality of simply visiting these places. If I go to see the Great Wall, I am NOT supporting China's expansionist policies in Southeast Asia. Obviously.

There is no other country in the world, to my knowledge, that is doing what Israel is doing. They have taken public action and government policy to a whole new heinous level. And no, Israel is not just another holiday destination, just as Iraq or Syria aren't. Extreme political infractions or policies that lend to the displacement, imprisonment, segregation, starvation or death of hundreds of thousands or millions of innocent people, in an on going and present nature, cannot simply be ignored or brushed aside simply because other countries also do some bad (though not nearly as bad) shit. That's a ridiculous notion to me, and completely devoid of context and morality.

Jag

There is no other country in the world, to my knowledge, that is doing what Israel is doing. They have taken public action and government policy to a whole new heinous level. And no, Israel is not just another holiday destination, just as Iraq or Syria aren't. Extreme political infractions or policies that lend to the displacement, imprisonment, segregation, starvation or death of hundreds of thousands or millions of innocent people, cannot simply be ignored or brushed aside simply because other countries also do some bad (though not nearly as bad) shit. That's a ridiculous notion to me, and completely devoid of context and morality.

You really want to get into this argument here? What about the Palestinians stabbing an 11 year old boy or a pregnant woman or a mother stabbed to death in front of her children? Is there really only your side to this conflict?

And what does this have to do with the Oscars anyway?

nib95

Banned
You really want to get into this argument here? What about the Palestinians stabbing an 11 year old boy or a pregnant woman or a mother stabbed to death in front of her children? Is there really only your side to this conflict?

And what does this have to do with the Oscars anyway?

The Oscars are giving away free tickets to Israel, therefore by virtue it has to do with both Israel and the Oscars. There are political ramifications to this decision that do not apply to Japan for example, which is why no one in his thread raised an eye brow to it, whilst several have to Israel.

And yes, of course there are Palestinian crazies and murderers as well. Heightened by the fact that they are an oppressed and crushed people. But I assure you the scales are tipped orders of magnitude worse towards the Palestinians, who are murdered, displaced, falsely imprisoned, tortured, abused, beaten, annexed, robbed and threatened in the masses.

Matt

The Oscars are giving away free tickets to Israel, therefore by nature it has to do with both Israel and the Oscars. There are political ramifications to this decision that do not apply to Japan for example, which is why no one Mt his thread has raised an eye brow to it, whilst several have to Israel.

The Oscars are not giving anything away. An independent company puts these packages together.

It's a vacation. It's not a big deal. It's attitudes being demonstrated in this thread that really do damage to your cause. Instead of acting like you have reasonable, legitimate criticisms of Israeli government policy, you just spew this toxic hate that makes you very hard to agree with.

And this is coming from someone who has been called anti-semitic by members of his own family for his views on the Israeli government's actions.

nib95

Banned
The Oscars are not giving anything away. An independent company puts these packages together.

It's a vacation. It's not a big deal. It's attitudes being demonstrated in this thread that really do damage to your cause. Instead of acting like you have reasonable, legitimate criticisms of Israeli government policy, you just spew this toxic hate that makes you very hard to agree with.

And this is coming from someone who has been called anti-semitic by members of his own family for his views on the Israeli government's actions.

Your last point... is that like a 'I'm not racist I have Black friends' thing? What does it matter if other people have called you anti semitic? How does that change the context of this conversation? For all we know those people may have been horribly misusing the term, using it in a completely false context. They may have even misunderstood you, or may just be super pro Israeli. None of that has any baring on our conversation.

And obviously a company, lobby, group or government is actually forking out for the goodies, but it's still the Oscars giving it away by allowing it to be a part of the gift bag. They have the ultimate say in what goes in or out of that bag of goodies after all.

I also don't see how I'm spewing toxic hate just by stating the truths about Israel's on going heinous and massively criminal foreign policies, or how it affects others. You always hear about threats of nations wiping other nations off the map, well you know what, Israel is actually doing just that, and has been doing that for the longest time, and it's this nonchalant passive attitude that hasn't exactly helped diminish it. It's about time more people were vocal about it, and people are right to question this inclusion.

Anyway, we're not going to agree. You think Israel is just another holiday destination, and that we should ignore the extreme policies it has on going, that are criminal and vile, I do not, and instead feel this move has deep political ramifications. We'll agree to disagree

Matt

Your last point... is that like a 'I'm not racist I have Black friends' thing? What does it matter if other people have called you anti semitic? How does that change the context of this conversation? For all we know those people may have been horribly misusing the term, using it in a completely false context. They may have even misunderstood you, or may just be super pro Israeli. None of that has any baring on our conversation.

And obviously a company, lobby, group or government is actually forking out for the goodies, but it's still the Oscars giving it away by allowing it to be a part of the gift bag. They have the ultimate say in what goes in or out of that bag of goodies after all.

I also don't see how I'm spewing toxic hate just by stating the truths about Israel's on going heinous and massively criminal foreign policies. You always hear about threats of nations wiping other nations off the map, well you know what, Israel is actually doing just that, and has been doing that for the longest time, and it's this nonchalant passive attitude that hasn't exactly helped diminish it. It's about time more people were vocal about it, and people are right to question this inclusion.

My point was I don't really disagree with your feelings on the Israeli government's actions. But I do think that being so petty as to attack the very idea of people going to Israel on vacation is working against your goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom