• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Hasney

The game needs some natural belt physics.

QuarterlySkinnyAlaskanmalamute.gif

Yup. That's why I've always said this whole idea you'd get a SHIMMER invasion of talent in the WWE was always a joke. This past bit has always been a holding pattern to replace the Ace/Vince-era Diva's with Hunter Diva's. So, we get a retrained Eva Marie, Dana Brooks, that Hooter's girl they hired a bit back, Carmella, Lana, and such on top.

Becky Lynch can be Sara Del Ray's assistant trainer. Charlotte would've never been signed without her last name. Paige will take over the Nattie role of "girl who can work" in matches.

Well..at least
Dean
didn't lose totally cleanly I guess

Why doesn't Rollins just do a flying knee from the ropes as a finisher? That move was cool.

I feel like the turnbuckle powerbomb should also be a finisher for him, or even just a good old backstabber. Something quick and flashy, not the lame Dirty Deeds variation he has now

The fact that people mark out about the NJPW version of this still gets me.

2012/02/12 - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada
2012/06/16 - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
2013/01/04 - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada
2013/04/07 - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada
2013/08/10 - Kazuchika Okada vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
2013/10/14 - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
2015/01/04 - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada

2005/11/13 - John Cena vs Randy Orton
2007/02/19 - John Cena vs Randy Orton
2007/05/07 - John Cena vs Randy Orton
2007/08/26 - John Cena (c) vs Randy Orton
2007/09/16 - John Cena (c) vs Randy Orton
2008/02/17 - Randy Orton (c) vs John Cena
2008/02/18 - John Cena vs Randy Orton
2008/05/12 - John Cena vs Randy Orton
2009/08/23 - Randy Orton (c) vs John Cena
2009/09/13 - Randy Orton (c) vs John Cena
2009/10/04 - John Cena (c) vs Randy Orton
2009/10/25 - Randy Orton (c) vs John Cena
2009/12/14 - John Cena vs Randy Orton
2010/09/13 - John Cena vs Randy Orton
2010/10/25 - John Cena vs Randy Orton
2013/12/15 - John Cena (c) vs Randy Orton (c)
2014/01/26 - Randy Orton (c) vs John Cena
2014/02/10 - John Cena vs Randy Orton
2014/09/22 - John Cena vs Randy Orton
2014/10/26 - John Cena vs Randy Orton

And how many of those were on TV with little build up?

And how many of those were on TV with little build up?

About seven of them, as far as I can tell - the others were all PPV or on TV but in the midst of a feud. Also, in addition to Cena & Orton's 20 singles matches on TV or PPV, they've also been involved in 15 multi-man matches and faced off in 34 tag matches.

About seven of them, as far as I can tell - the others were all PPV or on TV but in the midst of a feud. Also, in addition to Cena & Orton's 20 singles matches on TV or PPV, they've also been involved in 15 multi-man matches and faced off in 34 tag matches.

What a waste of your two marquee guys.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

So 5 times for Cena and Orton in the last 3 years and 6 times for Tanahashi/Okada in the last 3 years is what you're saying.

They're not really comparable, is what I'm saying. Cena and Orton have been paired together at one point or another throughout their entire careers. Okada won't likely be feuding with a 46 year old Tanahashi in 2022 and there's a difference between complaining about a match up that's happened a bunch of times in recent memory and a match up that's happened a bunch of times for nearly a decade. Both are valid complaints if you're not a fan, but I don't see them as particularly similar. Cena vs Orton is a career rivalry comprised of many different feuds, whereas Okada vs Tanahashi feels like a feud in itself, encompassing all their singles encounters to date. Whether it does end with the presumed finale of Okada usurping Tanahashi's place, or continues unabated for years to come remains to be seen, but I'm leaning towards the former.

Big revenue, big profits and free networks

WWE generated $176.2 million in revenue for the first quarter of 2015 and $9.8 million in net profits, the former being the largest in company history.

The company also announced the free April promotion for new subscribers would continue through May.

With the advent of the WWE Network and increased TV rights fees, total revenue is a lock to be the highest ever, but profitability was above most expectations.

Last year during the same period the revenue was $125.6 million and the company lost $8 million. Two key differences are WrestleMania was the second quarter last year instead of the first, and WWE video game sales are way up.

Also, as far as revenue went, there were more episodes of Total Divas in the quarter.

House show attendance, which Vince McMahon still looks at as one of the key barometers of how well things are connecting, was up four percent in North America, factoring out WrestleMania.

WWE stock declined to $13.71 per share at this moment after the news was released.

There was not much in the Q&A with the highlight being that Vince McMahon said the company is looking at possibly tiering network prices, such as the idea that WrestleMania month or SummerSlam month could be higher. He said they are looking at all this and they ar a very reflexive company, but right now the plan is to stay as is.

Kaladin

If the monthly trial for new fans becomes a regular thing, I don't think people will have much of an issue with it.

It's kind of a cool way to get new folks hooked and it also doesn't devalue the PPVs on the months they choose to give away, because they're giving away all of them.

Aiii

So not worth it
If the monthly trial for new fans becomes a regular thing, I don't think people will have much of an issue with it.

It's kind of a cool way to get new folks hooked and it also doesn't devalue the PPVs on the months they choose to give away, because they're giving away all of them.

Netflix does it, but WWE won't ever, it would give people a way to not pay for Mania, after all.

Kaladin

Netflix does it, but WWE won't ever, it would give people a way to not pay for Mania, after all.

Well, they could do it for all of them except for Mania and it still wouldn't devalue any of the other PPVs since Mania is already on a pedestal.

jmdajr

congrats!

I would like to own a home but prices are insane right now.

NoRéN;162097681 said:
Congratulations.

I would love to own a home. Alas, I live in L.A. Instead, I've started hoarding water. Shit's gonna be selling like hot cakes soon!

congrats!

gratz dude :D

Grats! Wrassle-GAF Ham Basket en route.

Congrats, man. We're going to the notary mid-May to finalize and then move in May 23rd.

Thank You Gentlemen.

NoRéN

NXT's main problem is that it basically spent a whole year building the promotion around the rise of Zayn, only to have him yanked off TV for the last set of tapings. You can tell they don't really want to get fans invested in Balor being on the show because they want him and his merch on the main roster, and Itami is still limited in what he can do until his English gets better and he gets fully acclimated to the WWE style. Meanwhile, the Dubstep cowboys are alright, but bland, Dempsey and Corbin are both green and boring, Solomon Crowe has one of the most catastrophically bad looks I've ever seen, Alex Riley is a pointless waste of space, Sasha can only wrestle the same small group of actually ready women so long before it gets stale (she is absolutely wonderful though, no question), Enzo and Cass are just treading water until they fire Los Matadores to make room for a comedic tag team on the main roster, and bringing in over-the-hill midcarders as the NXT equivalent of "grumpy old men slapping the young ones around" doesn't really work. Kevin Owens does good work, but a glowering schoolyard bully heel can't really carry a show the way a likable underdog like Zayn can.
Wow. Nothing here I disagree with.

Sephzilla

Also, given it took Sami a whole year to finally "win the big one", having him lose the title in his first defense to a guy he's been feuding with for like a decade, while somewhat interesting in an abstract storyline sense, really deflates the emotion of his win, as it makes it seem like it was more of a fluke dependent on him facing another vanilla midget than a display of true skill. Might have been smarter to have both guys feud with other guys leading into that February special, let their friendship develop on-screen, then do the Owens betrayal after Sami's first defense, when you've established that he's a true winner and a real champion. Storyline works basically the same - Owens is trying to work his way up the card before his time, Zayn is betrayed by his friend right after a big win, all that good stuff.

Sami's story wasn't necessarily about winning the big one and having a long reign afterwards. Sami's story was about how doing the right thing can get you to the top, or that nice guys don't have to finish last. He did the right things, he got to the top. Owens coming in and doing all of the wrong things immediately there after (betraying a friend, being merciless, etc) doesn't diminish Sami beating The Man That Gravity Forgot The New Sensation Neville.

Kaladin

That's the problem with making a brand out of developmental.

A real wrestling brand will have a better flowing product.

Developmental will be full of lots of starts and stops that will turn off fans in a hurry.

The fans that are into it because it's developmental can be forgiving, but they will never keep their growth steady as long as they treat NXT as a developmental promotion.

Kaladin

Sami's story wasn't necessarily about winning the big one and having a long reign afterwards. Sami's story was about how doing the right thing can get you to the top, or that nice guys don't have to finish last. He did the right things, he got to the top. Owens coming in and doing all of the wrong things immediately there after (betraying a friend, being merciless, etc) doesn't diminish Sami beating The Man That Gravity Forgot The New Sensation Neville.

True, but if NXT was a real promotion, it would be built around a solid foundation of Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt, Sami Zayn, Neville, Kevin Owens, Hideo Itami, Finn Balor and Tyler Breeze.

Seriously, those 8 guys are all you need for an upper and mid card on a one hour show. If there was no call up to the main roster threatening the talent pool, that's what they would go with. You would have got a longer reign for Sami Zayn and a longer debut for Owens. May would have probably been their first match over their second.

Top Bottom