• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman V Superman’ Takes A Dive With -70% Second Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
Tell that to the Transformers franchise.

Transformers movies do great overseas. Especially China. Batman vs Superman is doing terrible post-opening weekend overseas. It has fallen off a cliff in China.

You cant compare a franchise that does well consistently overseas to a film that isn't doing very well at all by comparison. I mean its doing sub-Ant Man numbers in many places including China right now.

jelly

Still will pass billion probably.

Overall I think this isn't just the movie, but generally the sign of people slowly getting tired of superhero movies. It's not like they will collapse anytime soon and we;ll still see them regularly passing 700 mln, but I doubt anything in next few years will be able to beat first Avengers in box office.

I don't think people are tiring of them, a good one will get great sales. If the quality slips, that's why the box office return will go down.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Transformers movies do great overseas. Especially China. Batman vs Superman is doing terrible post-opening weekend overseas. It has fallen off a cliff in China.

You cant compare a franchise that does well consistently overseas to a film that isn't doing very well at all by comparison. I mean its doing sub-Ant Man numbers in many places including China right now.

Transformers also panders to the Chinese audience for that specific reason.

Malyse

Isn't there already a Box Office thread? This one seems like flamebait.
It's like you don't think that the biggest drop off so far for a superhero film warrants its own separate discussion. It's like you assume that everyone in this thread will read the Box Office thread. Isn't complaining about threads a bannable offense?

BTM

I personally liked it quite a bit, but I can see where some people wouldn't. I just hope WB doesn't do anything drastic.

kiguel182

I enjoyed the movie more that most critics but this was to be expected after all of those reviews hit. And even if I enjoyed it the truth is that there's a lot of room to improve for sure so hopefully they will learn from this.

Replicant

Baloney. It's a movie with Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman together on screen for the first time. This movie having worse legs than Barbara Gordon is not a win.

Holy sheet.

The lack of anything interesting when it comes to Superman was problematic back in MoS. But in this one, it was joined by awful editing, the shoving of the JL stuff, and the portrayal of Lex Luthor.

Unlike others, however, I don't mind so much of the darker theme.

Overall I think this isn't just the movie, but generally the sign of people slowly getting tired of superhero movies. It's not like they will collapse anytime soon and we;ll still see them regularly passing 700 mln, but I doubt anything in next few years will be able to beat first Avengers in box office.

Total BS.

Deadpool came out of nowhere and smashed every expectation anyone had for it not even a month ago. It's the top grossing R rated film of all time.

This is entirely on the shoulders of BvS being a bad film and getting savaged in the press and bad WoM.

Fury451

Banned
please keep this guy away from justice league

I know he gets all the blame because he is an easy target, but he's not solely responsible. The writing/script was just awful IMO.

From the interviews, it's clear to me that Snyder doesn't really get the characters, but the movie itself had some well-shot stuff in it. I don't care for his vision for the cinematic universe at all, but I'm sure that's not solely him either.

I'm for dumping him for League. If it has the same writing and produce input though, I would not expect it to be much different.

Jigorath

Banned
Dark Knight made a billion+ because it transcended comic book films and had what a lot of people consider the best joker performance and DKR made that much because it followed the fucking Dark Knight.

Just because you have Batman in your movie doesn't guarantee a billion dollars.

So you're saying WB expected a huge opening and awful legs? They knew audiences would hate it? Really?

The fact that Zack Snyder is still directing Justice League is why I've completely checked out of the DC hype machine. Hopefully, SS and WW will be decent, but BvS crushed any excitement I had for DCEU.

hqdefault.jpg

1. It's only the critics! Th general public will love it!

2. Err... home video! That's right, it will make tons through home video sales!

3. A-anyway, they never expected crazy profits. This much is good enough...

*shakes head*

1. It's only the critics! Th general public will love it!

2. Err... home video! That's right, it will make tons through home video sales!

3. A-anyway, they never expected crazy profits. This much is good enough...

*shakes head*
Dont forget about money from licensing to cable channels!

It's like you don't think that the biggest drop off so far for a superhero film warrants its own separate discussion. It's like you assume that everyone in this thread will read the Box Office thread. Isn't complaining about threads a bannable offense?
These threads are like mental/physical assault to some. People just talking numbers, but all they see is:

4Nr5SqwY.gif

Trojan X

Banned
Ooff.

Spoiler trailer.
Bad reviews and word of mouth.
The transparent cobbling of bvs and justice League start into one movie.

I have almost no interest in going to watch it. What a Fucking disaster. Instead of epic, the movie has become a joke to everyone.

It's so bad it might to damage to super hero movies in general.

I hope studios wisen up and stop spoiling movies in trailers and trying to ram franchises down our throats instead of making good movies first.

It's more upsetting due to the fact that it is NOT the actors fault. They were awesome. Awesome Superman, awesome Batman, great Wonder Woman. Everyone was solid. However, the story, the writers, the directors and their editors... They killed it. It was all their fault. I still like thje movie but it's so obvious it could have been epic for everyone else were.

Paganmoon

Majorly delay Justice League, dump Snyder. PLEASE

They really should. People are complaining about Eisenberg's Lex, or silly plot points or Superman scenes, or the overuse of slow mo, it wasn't any single one of those. It was Snyder, leading to every one of them, and more.

Cipherr

Man... if its going to do a billion international is going to need some STRONG holds every week beyond now.

This is looking like a damned disaster.

RDreamer

Really sad... It's one of my favorite comic book movies ever and one of the most enthralling I've seen in a while. Love it to pieces and it sucks if it'll affect the vision Snyder has. I really hope we are able to fully get his plan for Justice League, but if not I suppose I always have this one.

Personally I'm thinking of seeing it again in theaters and I never do that. Ever. Can't think of a single movie I haven't just waited for the home release for more viewings. We'll see though.

I know he gets all the blame because he is an easy target, but he's not solely responsible. The writing/script was just awful IMO.

From the interviews, it's clear to me that Snyder doesn't really get the characters, but the movie itself had some well-shot stuff in it. I don't care for his vision for the cinematic universe at all, but I'm sure that's not solely him either.

If it has the same writing crew though, I would not expect it to be much different.

Isn't snyder not just the director, but steering the entire ship for the justice league concept as kevin feige is at marvel?

I can't find any quotes but I'm almost certain that's the case.

KonradLaw

I don't think people are tiring of them, a good one will get great sales. If the quality slips, that's why the box office return will go down.

As I said, I don't think they will collapse or anything. But I don't see them growing anymore.

WB still propbably won't mind in the long run. BvS feels less like a movie and more like very expensive set up for the while line-up. Superhero movies are pretty dependable source of income. And even underperforming DC ones are a hell lot of better investments for them than taking risks on something new that might end up like complete bomba like Jupiter Ascending. WB hasn't been exactly lighting up the boxoffice on fire recently. LOTR is done and I';m not sure that new Potterverse movie will be able to do as well as the original movies did.

At worst if they can't get huge blockbusters out of DC movies they might scale them down somewhat, to levels of Fox's Xmen movies and have dependable two big earners each year.

Cuburt

WB was putting the cart in front of the horse. It was always going to be a challenge to pull off but it's crazy to think how many ways this was fumbled.

Not only that, but it had 3+ years of production (and more than that in preproduction if you count ideas from past BvS attempts) and the final result still ended up feeling rushed.

Fury451

Banned
Isn't snyder not just the director, but steering the entire ship for the justice league concept as kevin feige is at marvel?

I can't find any quotes but I'm almost certain that's the case.

I just amended my post to reflect that that may be the case indeed. If it is, yeah I don't like his vision at all. What I was trying to say though is that even if they do drop him, I feel that the issues would persist unless there was a major revamp in tone and direction for future films.

It's like you don't think that the biggest drop off so far for a superhero film warrants its own separate discussion.

It doesn't, really, though.

Nothing happening in here that isn't already happening in the B.O. thread (and has been happening in the B.O. thread for a couple days now, and will happen again in tomorrows new B.O. thread). You probably didn't even check it first, just saw something somewhere else and posted this in reaction.

rekameohs

Banned
I highly, highly, highly doubt WB expected to make even a billion off this film
Ohwow.jpg

The only thing that would keep the first Batman and Superman crossover in film from reaching a billion is a complete disaster.

And look what we have here with BvS

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I highly, highly, highly doubt WB expected to make even a billion off this film considering how much negativity that was surrounding it since the first trailer.

Sorry, but this is wrong.

anaron

time to use the Berlantiverse to launch a Crisis on Infinite Earths to merge and reboot this into a proper DCEU

KonradLaw

LOL. Poor affleck.

He has no reason to feel sad. He's the only thing that made this whole movie bearable. One can hate on Snyder, the script or Superman. But Batman himself was great. He now needs to leave this whole Snyder mess and get cracking on his own Batman movie, with him directing it.

He still probably is taking it badly though, because he seems genuinelly enthusiastic about the IP. Have you seen the DC Rebirth panel? They've made short promos of BvS actors and crew promoting the comicbook. Affleck was the only one who seemed excited. And Snyder was holding the damn comic in such way that it gave impression he will go wash his hands the moment the camera stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom