• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Deception Errors [Comic: Chapter 16 - Complete]

webrunner

jFQVi.jpg

This is.. amazing.

Sotha Sil

So not only is this novel terrible, but Bioware was fully aware of it and OK'd it. I guess that disproves the theories they had nothing to do with this.

Nah, they just didn't read it. Hudson Ctrled-F "asari", "stripper", "awesome" and "badass", found 450 matches, wrote Dietz a check and called it a day.

Arjen

Kai Leng breaks into an appartment, so he can watch a nightclub to spot someone coming out. To make sure he doesn't miss anything, be borrows a vase he can piss in...
I swear this actually happens and is described in detail.

okay

so

clear your mind

is it cleared? good.

now then. imagine some tattooed secret agent assassin dude. he has sneaked into an unoccupied apartment. he is placing wiretaps all around for clandestine black ops shit.

suddenly, he is reaching into a cupboard. he is pulling out a box of Oops! All Crunch Berries and pouring it into a bowl.

he is voraciously chowing down on this cereal

"I'M AN ADRENALINE JUNKIE! THIS IS MY APARTMENT NOW! *munch much* I'M FUCKING KING OF THE JUNGLE!! *crunch*"

*spirit animal gorilla rises up behind him and beats chest as this ninja-looking motherfucker just tears into this cereal*

Rapstah

"But Leng was something of an adrenaline junkie and enjoyed being where he was"

I have literally read internet fan-fiction that was written better then that.

It's written like the author is trying to re-tell something he saw rather than trying to tell a story he's coming up with and envisioning. I think that's what makes that passage odd...?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's written like the author is trying to re-tell something he saw rather than trying to tell a story he's coming up with and envisioning. I think that's what makes that passage odd...?

"CHARACTER was an ADJECTIVE/DESCRIPTOR" is usually a warning sign. Better authors work it into the text more seamlessly.

I mean, off the top of my head I can spit out something like "Leng looked around the apartment one last time, adrenaline pounding through him. On impulse he yanked open the cupboards and grabbed a box of cereal..."

okay

so

clear your mind

is it cleared? good.

now then. imagine some tattooed secret agent assassin dude. he has sneaked into an unoccupied apartment. he is placing wiretaps all around for clandestine black ops shit.

suddenly, he is reaching into a cupboard. he is pulling out a box of Oops! All Crunch Berries and pouring it into a bowl.

he is voraciously chowing down on this cereal

"I'M AN ADRENALINE JUNKIE! THIS IS MY APARTMENT NOW! *munch much* I'M FUCKING KING OF THE JUNGLE!! *crunch*"

*spirit animal gorilla rises up behind him and beats chest as this ninja-looking motherfucker just tears into this cereal*
LumpOfCole's new tag

I'm indifferent about titles in all actuality. It's good enough for me to know that folks are enjoying the comics :)

That being said, I would like to make it clear that I would not want anything the length of ""I'M AN ADRENALINE JUNKIE! THIS IS MY APARTMENT NOW! *munch much* I'M FUCKING KING OF THE JUNGLE!! *crunch*"" despite how flattering such an endowment would be.

I'm indifferent about titles in all actuality. It's good enough for me to know that folks are enjoying the comics :)

That being said, I would like to make it clear that I would not want anything the length of ""I'M AN ADRENALINE JUNKIE! THIS IS MY APARTMENT NOW! *munch much* I'M FUCKING KING OF THE JUNGLE!! *crunch*"" despite how flattering such an endowment would be.

Moderators are immune to reverse psychology!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chapter 7... Guys. This is where the book starts to get bad.

Happy bowls.

We're just gonna paint some happy little bowls into the comic?

"CHARACTER was an ADJECTIVE/DESCRIPTOR" is usually a warning sign. Better authors work it into the text more seamlessly.

I mean, off the top of my head I can spit out something like "Leng looked around the apartment one last time, adrenaline pounding through him. On impulse he yanked open the cupboards and grabbed a box of cereal..."

"Leng finished placing the wiretaps in Anderson's apartment. 'Now all that's left to do is wait...' He said aloud. Suddenly, his stomach started to growl. 'It may be unprofessional, but screw it, I'm hungry.' Leng started to raid the cupboards. 'Ah-hah!' He exclaimed. 'Some cereal, and a bowl in the <insert future word for dishwasher>! Now to see if there is some milk in the fridge.'

As he raided the fridge, he could hear the Illusive Man berating him, but Leng liked to live life on the edge and this was a thrill."

Something like that?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"Leng finished placing the wiretaps in Anderson's apartment. 'Now all that's left to do is wait...' He said aloud. Suddenly, his stomach started to growl. 'It may be unprofessional, but screw it, I'm hungry.' Leng started to raid the cupboards. 'Ah-hah!' He exclaimed. 'Some cereal, and a bowl in the <insert future word for dishwasher>! Now to see if there is some milk in the fridge.'

As he raided the fridge, he could hear the Illusive Man berating him, but Leng liked to live life on the edge and this was a thrill."

Something like that?

If you're playing up the hilarity of the situation, ya :p

That would certainly explain... well, maybe some of how terrible it is.

The sad thing is that the idea of some jackwagon operative who breaks into the hero's apartment and eats his cereal is actually kind of hilarious. In a Mass Effect novel it's just dumb, but in something else (probably a movie so you can just show it instead of having to belabor the point), with the right tone, it might work. BUT NOW IT'S RUINED FOREVER THANKS A LOT WILLIAM C. DIETZ.

Top Bottom