• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin is going to ruin a ton of people mainly millennials

shira

The thing I don't understand is wasn't Bitcoin supposed to be an actual useful currency? And not just a glorified investment rollercoaster/slot machine?

It was.
When the price was stable it was very good for traveling/currency exchange.
You buy some coin in your home nation, go somewhere sell the coin and pick it up via Western Union.

With the prices now, if you were a part-time drug dealer selling exclusively in bitcoin you could be a millionaire.

50-60 bitcoin is a million bucks USD.

Bitcoin was semi-useful as a currency at one point when a small number of people and businesses were using it. It just doesn't scale well. Block size is limited to 1 MB and the network can only handle something like 3-7 transactions per second. There are some planned improvements like the lightning network, but who knows when that will be released or how much difference it will make. Other coins are working on / have their own solutions.

longdi

Banned
Seems like the beginning of the end for crytocurrency?

I always wondered who are the ones buying coins? I get those early miners will have tons of coins, and those rich dudes who can buy tons of coins too. These guys will set up exchanges and get noobs to trade fiat for their coins. Once most of them are sold at good prices, its the end, right? Noobs are stuck with worthless coins, while the miners cashed out.

I think it is not hard to manipulate prices. Buy and sell your small lots to drive up prices. Unregulated exchanges domiciled in tax havens can be shady af.

TimFL

I always wondered who are the ones buying coins? I get those early miners will have tons of coins, and those rich dudes who can buy tons of coins too. These guys will set up exchanges and get noobs to trade fiat for their coins. Once most of them are sold at good prices, its the end, right? Noobs are stuck with worthless coins, while the miners cashed out.

I think it is not hard to manipulate prices. Buy and sell your small lots to drive up prices. Unregulated exchanges domiciled in tax havens can be shady af.

It's only the beginning. I wouldn't advise getting into BTC, only alts.

There are loads of coins with real world value that could explode easily in 2018. XLM or REQ to name a few of them.

Surely there are loads of shill/shit coins also (XVG cough) that pump hard now but I'd wager most of them die a horrible death by EOY2018.

I, for one, used the dip a few days ago to double my holdings for 2018. Only ever invest what you're willing to lose though. As it stands the market is way too reliant on BTC trading pairs. That is rumored to change with, for example, XLM / FIAT exchanges like FairX (unconfirmed but heavily hinted at).

Me too.

Man, if I wasn't a gaffer back in 2010-2011 I would have dived into Bitcoins way sooner. This board loves the government too much

It's not about government, it's about RISK, and being risk adverse. Not saying that you didn't have a good reason to be but...Hindsight is 20/20.

DonMigs85

It's only the beginning. I wouldn't advise getting into BTC, only alts.

There are loads of coins with real world value that could explode easily in 2018. XLM or REQ to name a few of them.

Surely there are loads of shill/shit coins also (XVG cough) that pump hard now but I'd wager most of them die a horrible death by EOY2018.

I, for one, used the dip a few days ago to double my holdings for 2018. Only ever invest what you're willing to lose though. As it stands the market is way too reliant on BTC trading pairs. That is rumored to change with, for example, XLM / FIAT exchanges like FairX (unconfirmed but heavily hinted at).
COLX looks interesting, good for a massive pump at the very least once it hits Cryptopia

ASAP

Def became the resident crypto currency advisor at the family Christmas party.

What’s everyone portfolio look like ?

BTC, ETH, LTC, REQ, ENJ, IOTA, XMR, ICX, and QRL

Biggest Hodling rn being REQ, ENJ, LTC, ICX, IOTA

dc3k

^^^ I am 100% in ETH right now but about to drop a shitload on XRP. Wanted to do it a month ago but it was a pain in the ass to buy. Really really regretting that now.

cormack12

Gold Member
The thing I don't understand about crypto currency in general (any maybe someone can educate), is that our economies currently rely heavily on credit. Like, if we need to create more debt then we just create it right? If cryptocurrency is going to become something more than a digital commodity (oxymoron?) what does a credit based economy look like propped up by that? I thought the advantages were firstly it was finite and every coin could be accounted for. Wouldn't it still need an underlying tangible currency to work properly?

Also what about unifying a currency on that scale? We've seen in Europe with the euro that this causes its own set of problems.

Honestly, these might be easy questions because I've not really looked into it too heavily, and anything I google seems to be about the technical workings rater than implementing it globally as a real world currency and avoiding the pitfalls/imitating (or even alternatives) to how we work now....

HarryKS

Def became the resident crypto currency advisor at the family Christmas party.

What’s everyone portfolio look like ?

BTC, ETH, LTC, REQ, ENJ, IOTA, XMR, ICX, and QRL

Biggest Hodling rn being REQ, ENJ, LTC, ICX, IOTA

PrimeCoin is a decent bet. Don't need much. Personally, grabbed some Raiblocks at 0.6 $. Not that cheap now.

Like any investment, there is a risk, but people who take risks, either lose, or gain a lot from from it. Then theres pessimists who believe in only working their 9-5 job, climbing the career ladder, and everything else is considered 'greed' and a 'waste of time'. This what separates the young people who achieve their goals before they hit 40, to the people, who work their asses off till 60 and rely on their pension to relax in their crappy years.

With respect to bitcoin, there is a risk involved if you invest. One thing is for sure. I purchased $1000 of bitcoin earlier last year, cashed in a little and then purchased etherium, and a bunch of other different coins, and I have made more in a year then I have made in my job in the last 2 years combined, and i am a full stack senior developer, so salary is no slouch. I have not pumped any more money in, just that $1000 investment which I have gained back. Yes you will need to put a larger investment into bitcoin nowerdays to get a decent return, OR, switch to an alternative coin and your risk would be alot less.

People just like to talk shit based on silly facebook ads and a few google news articles. If you actually delve into the subject (which is hugeeee) you will begin to understand the use of cryptos.

amazing post!

xStoyax

Banned

You realize that Bitcoin even after the 'crash' is still $5500 higher value than last month right?

$13,000 higher value than last year....

Atrus

Gold Member
I'm curious, how many posters here are over the age of 30 and have actively invested in the stock market through the dotcom and financial crisis?

Divus

Been into Crypto only since late August. Technically this isn’t exactly true as I had 5 BTC back in 2010, but that is long gone.

I was fortune enough to find and buy into Vertcoin before the price 10x in value in just under 2 months time. Really wish I would of started to mine it a bit earlier as I was making 3 VTC a day just a few months ago and it didn’t seem worth it for about $3.

Personally I don’t think Bitcoin will be the king forever. It is a bubble, but so are most investments if you give them long enough. I do think some Alt coins will one day replace BTC. Finding those alt coins early enough is key.

In less than 4 months I’m up 500% on my original investments. Not all of coins i invested in have done what BTC & VTC have, but all of them are up overall. All of that money was going to be spent on luxury’s I didn’t really need anyway. Even if the market is cut to 1/3 I can exit better off than my stock market investments would of done in that time.

pacifikballa

Neo Member
My wife and I are looking for long-term players in this coin/token market. We currently have some Ethereum and will be purchasing another chunk of IOTA soon.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Saw this shit. Ands it’s not a good sign at all.

Indeed. People who have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on are throwing money indiscriminately into the market. And it's making it extremely volatile. There's a correction on the horizon and it's not going to be pleasant.

GamingKaiju

I got into mining ETH back in October. Got 1 Rig mining with 8 Vega 56's and 4 GTX1070's. Rig 2 is only running 6 GTX 1070's and 1 Vega 56.

The difficulty is starting to rise again on ETH meaning less ETH mined. I'm currently setting up ETN on both RIGs and my home PC see what happens.

I was also dual mining ETH and DCR but running both increases my electricity costs.

HarryKS

I got into mining ETH back in October. Got 1 Rig mining with 8 Vega 56's and 4 GTX1070's. Rig 2 is only running 6 GTX 1070's and 1 Vega 56.

The difficulty is starting to rise again on ETH meaning less ETH mined. I'm currently setting up ETN on both RIGs and my home PC see what happens.

I was also dual mining ETH and DCR but running both increases my electricity costs.

Go for ZCash instead.

CD'S BAR

Funny seems like all xrp exchanges are overloaded and have either discontinued new registration for the time being or are taking weeks to verify new users. wonder if coinbase will entertain it now that it's #2.

ASAP

If you’re not paying attention to REQ, ICX, DBC, you will not have a fun start to 2019... they’re so ridiculously undervalued right now

I recommend XRP but I think it’s about to face a correction back down to 1.30-1.50ish that will be the time to buy before it goes past $2 for good.

Don’t sleep on IOTA either.

dc3k

I'm so mad at myself for not buying XRP in November. I was going to put $10k in but dragged my feet because it was annoying to buy. Should have just bought with my ETH instead of trying to do a USD deposit. Fuck fuck fuck

ASAP

I'm so mad at myself for not buying XRP in November. I was going to put $10k in but dragged my feet because it was annoying to buy. Should have just bought with my ETH instead of trying to do a USD deposit. Fuck fuck fuck

Uhhhhhh it keeps climbing up. the fuck

HarryKS

You guys are gonna get screwed over with XRP. Big, big time.

This coin's been manipulated to death since its inception. Plus, the banks don't actually care about the coin, they care about the tech behind it.

=Nester99;253144764]Dumped it all into XRP a few days ago.

Best chance at many multiples imo.

Not gonna happen my man. At 2.60 $, those days are gone.

Atrus

Gold Member
You guys are gonna get screwed over with XRP. Big, big time.

This coin's been manipulated to death since its inception. Plus, the banks don't actually care about the coin, they care about the tech behind it.

Not gonna happen my man. At 2.60 $, those days are gone.

Aren't all forms of cryptocurrency manipulated? Be it the Chinese miners or so called Whales of bitcoin or the fact XRP is mostly held by Ripple founders. Regardless of the coin, all players are gambling solely under the Greater Fool theory as there is no intrinsic return associated with these currencies as an asset.

This is what drives massive surges in valuations as each party is incentivized to pump the entire sector solely as a means to dump their over-valued asset on the backs of all the fools who buy it from them. Hence, greater fool theory.

In this regard, conventional metrics would be useless as it would not go far in explaining the value of any coin or the value of Longfin, LTEA, Riot etc.
So while XRP might not be expected to reach a market cap in the trillions, there's nothing that really stops it from doing so.

HarryKS

Aren't all forms of cryptocurrency manipulated? Be it the Chinese miners or so called Whales of bitcoin or the fact XRP is mostly held by Ripple founders. Regardless of the coin, all players are gambling solely under the Greater Fool theory as there is no intrinsic return associated with these currencies as an asset.

This is what drives massive surges in valuations as each party is incentivized to pump the entire sector solely as a means to dump their over-valued asset on the backs of all the fools who buy it from them. Hence, greater fool theory.

In this regard, conventional metrics would be useless as it would not go far in explaining the value of any coin or the value of Longfin, LTEA, Riot etc.
So while XRP might not be expected to reach a market cap in the trillions, there's nothing that really stops it from doing so.

Good luck.

So, Pump n dump?

Yes. Should have, when it reached 19k satoshis earlier today. That's how I see it personally though. The supply is just too high to expect it to progress any further. The Korean market folly has skewed this by a big margin.

Atrus

Gold Member
Good luck.

I've got nothing invested in crypto-currency and have no intention to at this stage of the cycle. I also don't care if people become overnight millionaires as its not a zero sum game wherein I'd be a crypto bagholder. The inevitable knock-on effect on equities might be annoying but they've also been on a tear and a pullback is expected, besides which my holdings are fairly secure blue chips that have weathered and rebounded pretty much the worst collapses since I've been alive.

I'm more or less evaluating this like a science project. The internet wasn't like this when beanie babies were around or even the dotcom boom so now I can see the cryptocurrency reddits, twitter accounts, blogs and the forums to see the inner workings and mentality that surrounds it. I don't think we've ever been able to scrutinize situations like this with as much available data.

The Hermit

I am.

When you see stupid shit like this:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ong-island-iced-tea-rename-as-long-blockchain

It's time to take your winnings and cash out.

I quited too a week ago. There is some projects I believe in and have a bit still invested, but I took my initial investment and won't pour any cent on it.

My main gripe is the existence of Theter and how it's basically blowing up the value of bitcoins and altcoin.

Ripple being in second place just shows how ignorant the main "investors" are.

longdi

Banned
Any idea why we cant mine altcoins?

I thought the lure of bitcoin was you buy a $2000 PC and mine some, hodl and sell off to suckers?

It seems bitcoins prices may drop below $10k at the start of 2018, bubble is poooping?

HarryKS

Warned you about Ripple.

Put your money into XRB instead. You'll be happy with the returns if you want a safe bet. It will double for sure again within a month or two.

Any idea why we cant mine altcoins?

I thought the lure of bitcoin was you buy a $2000 PC and mine some, hodl and sell off to suckers?

It seems bitcoins prices may drop below $10k at the start of 2018, bubble is poooping?

It's not popping, it's a consequence of many, many things which unfolded over the past week or so. Personally, I think the insane transfer fees are crippling it. Until they get it sorted and it shoots up again.

longdi

Banned
Can anyone mine XRB?

I rather mine than go through the hassle of converting here and there!

All these altcoin miners, where are they?

For instance, it seems only the XRB admins are printing their digital 'money', so you are at the mercy of how upright they are. No pump and dump, no manipulation

sono

I am new to online trading but I felt the pull to dabble in bitcoin from November. (I signed up to etoro which seems ok for this purpose.I invested a small amount to see how it worked..)

I am amazed at how volatile the bitcoin market has been in december. I find myself checking the situation almost hourly..

HarryKS

What's up with the Ripple FUD. I work for an investment bank and unlike most coins out there ripple actually has utility and value.

The coin does not matter. They don't need the coin. It's a token actually.

The value can only go so far when banks and financial institutions are involved so early wit XRP. A centralized coin defeats the purpose of crypto as an alternative form of currency.

Can anyone mine XRB?

I rather mine than go through the hassle of converting here and there!

All these altcoin miners, where are they?

For instance, it seems only the XRB admins are printing their digital 'money', so you are at the mercy of how upright they are. No pump and dump, no manipulation

XRB or XRP? Neither can be mined. They're pre-mined. There are many other altcoins you can, you just have to look.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=159.0

The coin does not matter. They don't need the coin. It's a token actually.

The value can only go so far when banks and financial institutions are involved so early wit XRP. A centralized coin defeats the purpose of crypto as an alternative form of currency.

XRB or XRP? Neither can be mined. They're pre-mined. There are many other altcoins you can, you just have to look.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=159.0

Do you know how valuable liquidity is?

I don't know what your background is but I'm not sure you have a clue why ripple (not just xrp but xvia etc) are useful.

HarryKS

Do you know how valuable liquidity is?

I don't know what your background is but I'm not sure you have a clue why ripple (not just xrp but xvia etc) are useful.

I am talking about XRP. The token, As a store of value. Don't know what you're reading, but that's the primary concern of people in here.

gatti-man

Like any investment, there is a risk, but people who take risks, either lose, or gain a lot from from it. Then theres pessimists who believe in only working their 9-5 job, climbing the career ladder, and everything else is considered 'greed' and a 'waste of time'. This what separates the young people who achieve their goals before they hit 40, to the people, who work their asses off till 60 and rely on their pension to relax in their crappy years.

With respect to bitcoin, there is a risk involved if you invest. One thing is for sure. I purchased $1000 of bitcoin earlier last year, cashed in a little and then purchased etherium, and a bunch of other different coins, and I have made more in a year then I have made in my job in the last 2 years combined, and i am a full stack senior developer, so salary is no slouch. I have not pumped any more money in, just that $1000 investment which I have gained back. Yes you will need to put a larger investment into bitcoin nowerdays to get a decent return, OR, switch to an alternative coin and your risk would be alot less.

People just like to talk shit based on silly facebook ads and a few google news articles. If you actually delve into the subject (which is hugeeee) you will begin to understand the use of cryptos.

This is a perfect example of the kind of absolute bullshit talking around crypto that my OP is about. No the risk in crypto isn’t like a normal investment not at all. It is 100x greater easily. Show me the last time Facebook lost 40% of its value in 3 days with no warning? That’s crypto. It’s not talking shit to draw a line between investing and gambling.

Your post is essentially “bro I gambled and made out so anyone that says otherwise are haters bro”. Yeah no not hating. One of my buddies heard about crypto when btc was 20k and wanted to put his savings into crypto. Needless to say I saved him from a 30k loss by telling him straight up that crypto isn’t regulated and it’s a total fantasy land idea that crypto will ever be a currency.

Alx

It’s gambling where almost everyone that gambled made an insane amount of money.

same could be said for a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. It's a system that doesn't produce its own value, so the money that people make today is money that someone will lose sometime down the road.

Top Bottom