• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin is going to ruin a ton of people mainly millennials

From the date I posted this thread the majority have lost not won. Which was kindof my whole point. Thanks for bringing the classic “I won so it’s ok “ argument.
You posted this thread on 11/28 when bitcoin was just breaking $10,000, Ripple was 30 cents, and Ether was under $500. So bitcoin is only up 35% in a month, ripple 800%, and ether 86%. Yeah, the market is volatile and if you bought bitcoin at 19K 2 weeks ago it stings, but wait a month.

The Mule

I'm not crying about having an extra $20k in the bank, that's for sure...

From an initial investment of $1500 in 2013

You posted this thread on 11/28 when bitcoin was just breaking $10,000, Ripple was 30 cents, and Ether was under $500. So bitcoin is only up 35% in a month, ripple 800%, and ether 86%. Yeah, the market is volatile and if you bought bitcoin at 19K 2 weeks ago it stings, but wait a month.

Most if not all crypto is a lot higher than when he originally made his thread, unless by 'majority' he means the people that FOMOed in at BTC's ATH of $19,000 on the 16th of December, nearly a month after he made the thread.. Either way he's wrong haha

This is a perfect example of the kind of absolute bullshit talking around crypto that my OP is about. No the risk in crypto isn’t like a normal investment not at all. It is 100x greater easily. Show me the last time Facebook lost 40% of its value in 3 days with no warning? That’s crypto. It’s not talking shit to draw a line between investing and gambling.

Your post is essentially “bro I gambled and made out so anyone that says otherwise are haters bro”. Yeah no not hating. One of my buddies heard about crypto when btc was 20k and wanted to put his savings into crypto. Needless to say I saved him from a 30k loss by telling him straight up that crypto isn’t regulated and it’s a total fantasy land idea that crypto will ever be a currency.

I’m a strong believer in not giving friends financial advice one way or the other.. Sure you might have saved him $30k in the correction but if Bitcoin goes to new highs in the coming months/years he could potentially be quite salty at you.

I’m a strong believer in not giving friends financial advice one way or the other.. Sure you might have saved him $30k in the correction but if Bitcoin goes to new highs in the coming months/years he could potentially be quite salty at you.
It was a bad idea to put all of his savings into crypto. Especially someone new to crypto that’s not used to the volatility and would probably panic sell. It would have also been a bad idea to buy just before 20K and not as it was clearly passing 20K. That said, if he put 10% in during the correction and split it between bitcoin and eth he’d already have a full year (really good year like this one) of stock market gains.

jadedm17

This is very valuable advice and sadly too true.

Your intentions may be pure but if you're wrong it could cause far more damage.

The Hermit

I'm not crying about having an extra $20k in the bank, that's for sure...

From an initial investment of $1500 in 2013

2013? How the hell are you not a millionaire?

I earned more in one month with only a 1000 initially.

That being said, the bubble is about to burst sooner rather than later. Ripple is an obvious scam, yet is in second in mc

2013? How the hell are you not a millionaire?

I earned more in one month with only a 1000 initially.

That being said, the bubble is about to burst sooner rather than later. Ripple is an obvious scam, yet is in second in mc

Ripple is a scam?

My god some people on this forum know nothing.

Atrus

Gold Member
Most if not all crypto is a lot higher than when he originally made his thread, unless by 'majority' he means the people that FOMOed in at BTC's ATH of $19,000 on the 16th of December, nearly a month after he made the thread.. Either way he's wrong haha

That's actually a meaningless metric unless the gains are crystalized by cashing out. It reminds me of a question on one of the investment reddits or boards I read once where someone learning to invest didn't realize that everyone can't just set a sell order and expect to crystalize your gains in the case of a market crash.

Someone has to actually buy it from you and prices tend to gap significantly when that happens and very quickly. For instance, there won't be an orderly transition between the $13,856.90 BTC is worth and $0.01, nor will the run on the exchange be handled smoothly. The number of greatest fools is always fewer than the number of greater fools so to speak.

Given that this list shows that 2.59% of addresses have at least 1 bitcoin or higher, most are likely making far, far less than the market cap in terms of gains:

https://bitinfocharts.com/top-100-richest-bitcoin-addresses.html

This means the majority aren't making anything truly enviable in real dollar terms as the real hype is borrowed from a handful of exceptions. Liquidity is also an issue where fewer than 18000 addresses control 61% of the currency, not to mention the 60 exchanges its divided over.

Atrus

Gold Member
Since the 'Crash', my portfolio has grown by $600. Crypto isn't going anywhere. This is the year of alt-coins. Waking up this morning to see my TRX has doubled in earnings since I bought into it a week ago

Soon as I posted this, go check the news & see this https://www.wsj.com/articles/peter-thiels-founders-fund-makes-big-bet-on-bitcoin-1514917433

Using the maximum stated of $20 million compared with the lowest estimate of the overall fund of $3 Billion at the end of 2016, Thiel spent 0.66% of the overall fund on it.

Comparably, someone investing $1000 on crypto would be spending $151,515 on other investments.

The real question is, is anyone doing that with their other investments? Or as the title to this thread implies, are people letting a lot of their investment ride on crypto?

That's actually a meaningless metric unless the gains are crystalized by cashing out. It reminds me of a question on one of the investment reddits or boards I read once where someone learning to invest didn't realize that everyone can't just set a sell order and expect to crystalize your gains in the case of a market crash.

Someone has to actually buy it from you and prices tend to gap significantly when that happens and very quickly. For instance, there won't be an orderly transition between the $13,856.90 BTC is worth and $0.01, nor will the run on the exchange be handled smoothly. The number of greatest fools is always fewer than the number of greater fools so to speak.

Given that this list shows that 2.59% of addresses have at least 1 bitcoin or higher, most are likely making far, far less than the market cap in terms of gains:

https://bitinfocharts.com/top-100-richest-bitcoin-addresses.html

This means the majority aren't making anything truly enviable in real dollar terms as the real hype is borrowed from a handful of exceptions. Liquidity is also an issue where fewer than 18000 addresses control 61% of the currency, not to mention the 60 exchanges its divided over.

this is incredibly easy to do... convert whatever you are holding to btc or eth, transfer the btc/eth to coinbase, sell it to them at a max of 10k a day. they direct deposit to your paypal account

i do believe a large correction is coming which is why i've cashed out 70% of my holdings, with the remaining 30% remaining in alt coins

cormack12

Gold Member
So people who are knowledgeable in here. If I had say 5000 cash to drop now with the sole intention of getting a 'piece of the action' what would be my starting point. Explain like I have no knowledge of this. Because I don't.

Disclaimer:
I understand this is only your opinion and I'm responsible for my own money and actions.

The Hermit

So people who are knowledgeable in here. If I had say 5000 cash to drop now with the sole intention of getting a 'piece of the action' what would be my starting point. Explain like I have no knowledge of this. Because I don't.

Disclaimer:
I understand this is only your opinion and I'm responsible for my own money and actions.

Before going in to get a piece of the action ( fear of missing out aka FOMO), try to understand what you are actually investing, what is blockchain, what are the projects behind the tokens and what they do.

I personally believe that everything is overvalued and it should be corrected, yet the market is being manipulated to keeps it's prices high. How long will this last? I dunno, hence why I still have some investment, but only in projects that I believe.

Considering the randomness of the market, you can win a lot by buying a bunch of shitcoins and sell for a higher price, but be very careful.

I read 3 months about Bitcoin before deciding to put some money on it. I bought when it was 6k ( when people said it wouldn't be higher) but my intention was to escape the government's grasp, not as an investment option. Obviously that changed later and now it's a free-for-all. I won't say "don't invest", because I have no idea how long this will last, but consider carefully.
Remember that whoever bought Bitcoin at 1000 dollars in dec 2013 would only see that value again in Jan 2017.

Just my 2 satoshis.

Disclaimer:

just went through the same thing recently...

you need toreserach and open an account on an exchange site, coinbase is the most popular, there you can buy with usd (most places dont allow you to use usd), but only a few types of currencies, and their fees are a little high. from there, you can transfer your bitcoin over to other exchange sites like binance that have lots of other altcoins and lower fees. or you can just be done with your options there of bitcoin, ether, litecon, and bitcoin cash. i've made an account but havent bought yet. im still wary of a crash but i wanted to have my account and bank accnt linked and set up as that takes some time, so im ready to buy when i want.

considering doing X amount now though, and if it crashes just double up.

need to look at it as a long term investment and if it craches dont get scared out. just leave it.

i would do alot of reading up though, i've been reading every day trying to learn about it all, and i felt more confused the more i read and learned. im only finally starting to get it.

Seems like the beginning of the end for crytocurrency?

I always wondered who are the ones buying coins? I get those early miners will have tons of coins, and those rich dudes who can buy tons of coins too. These guys will set up exchanges and get noobs to trade fiat for their coins. Once most of them are sold at good prices, its the end, right? Noobs are stuck with worthless coins, while the miners cashed out.

I think it is not hard to manipulate prices. Buy and sell your small lots to drive up prices. Unregulated exchanges domiciled in tax havens can be shady af.

I believe this possibility. As much as I enjoy it, cryptocurrency is a perfect example of why currencies need government regulation for stability.

bufkus

My portfolio is mainly cardano, ripple, and lisk, and I am up like 200%. only reason i'm not in bitcoin atm is because i'm waiting to see who wins out between bitcoin and bitcoin cash. don't want to bet on a loser.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/.../is-bitcoin-an-environmental-hazard-1.4469361

This was an interesting listen on the CBC yesterday. Funny how a digital currency could be an environmental hazard due to the amount of electricity required to "mine" the transactions.

"enough to power one U.S. household for almost 10 days per transaction"

"bitcoin uses 70,000 times more energy than Visa per transaction"

Ether is planning to eliminate this issue by moving to Proof Of Stake. Wether it is a success or not is yet to be determined but people are working on solutions to the energy issue.

Cc23830

Is this the proper place to enquire about trusted traders/brokers? Just wondering as i would like to go in small and prefer real peoples advice to google " testimonials"

dcll

Banned
Ok I know nothing bout bitcoin ect but I would like to buy some of the new ones that are cheap in case they skyrocket like bitcoin, if I end up losing money I wont be mad since it is cheap right now. What do I need to do to buy Ripple?

I bought Vechain yesterday and decided to buy another alt at the same time and happened to choose Tron. It’s kind of scary how fast it’s going up. I’m going to sell a third and buy more alts if it keeps going.

TBiddy

I bought Vechain yesterday and decided to buy another alt at the same time and happened to choose Tron. It’s kind of scary how fast it’s going up. I’m going to sell a third and buy more alts if it keeps going.

Good for you getting in on TRON at the right time. I was looking at it the other day, but decided against it, since I had no ethereum in my account and wasn't going to sell my other coins.

Couple of days later, it spiked like 300% :(

Relativ9

Looking to put about 2K into an index fund on Iconomi, and play around with another 1k myself just to dip my feet in the water and learn a bit, anyone have any small coin recommendations? I hear a lot of good things about TRON, but it seems like that's mostly good marketing and the product might not hold up? Also seems like that might be a bit to late to get in "early" on?

Good for you getting in on TRON at the right time. I was looking at it the other day, but decided against it, since I had no ethereum in my account and wasn't going to sell my other coins.

Couple of days later, it spiked like 300% :(
I sold it at $.28 yesterday after Reddit started actually researching / trashing it. I bought it on a whim (it was being shilled, I wanted a 10th coin) so cheers to being lucky, I guess.

Bitcoin is one of over 1400 digital "currency's". I put currency's in quotations because crypto currency's aren't really a currency, more so an asset, but not really an asset either. Bitcoin (and all other cryptos) have no intrinsic value. In fact, the only reason why the Cryptos have any value at all is because of hype and belief. Once that's gone, the value is absolute zero. basically nothing left.

The one thing I do like is the block chain, the supposed system the cryptos will use to make "transactions". The block chain is basically a complete open P2P network, that everyone can access and have complete transparency on any transaction anyone has ever made using cryptos. It is also supposed to simplify the transactions by cutting out intermediaries such as banks and third parties. Think of something like Napster, except for transactions (but much, much more complex in terms of the various algorithms that will be implemented depending on what transactions are taking place).

Unfortunately. all that cryptos are is a speculative pseudo asset which the value is determined by belief. I also want to mention what store of value means. While researching the block chain, I noticed some people referring the block chain to a store of value which is completely misguided. A store of value is not a place to "store value" in terms on monetization. A store of value means the intrinsic value of an asset with or without monetization. For example, my car is a store of value. Even if my car's monetary value goes to zero, I can still use it and drive, hence, it's value is determined based on it's use with respect to the asset, not just on monetary value. Cryptos have no store of value since they have no intrinsic value. Based on this, Cryptos, used as a speculative pseudo asset, in the long term, will eventually go to zero monetary value and since that cryptos only rely on monetary value, once they go to zero, they basically don't exist. The block chain system can be experimented with and that could be turned into an interesting idea.

Last edited:

Rising_Hei

I have been following the whole thing since it started, and i've been observing what those that think this is literally the second coming say about it.
I had the same kind of feeling i get when i read about the defenders of "flath earth"; or that the greenhouse effect is a myth.
Figures.

Last edited:

HarryKS

I have been following the whole thing since it started, and i've been observing what those that think this is literally the second coming say about it.
I had the same kind of feeling i get when i read about the defenders of "flath earth"; or that the greenhouse effect is a myth.
Figures.

It is the second coming. Wait another ten years, watch more people get a jump ahead of you.

It is the second coming. Wait another ten years, watch more people get a jump ahead of you.

No idea how he could have been "following the whole thing since it started" and not have put even $100 or $200 in when BTC was a few dollars.

To me that is FAR stupider than lumping people with crypto in with flat earthers..

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
NeoGAF should start a coin; NeoGAF Gold. If Dogecoin can be worth billions, I'm sure we could pump this up enough for some sizeable returns. Just look at Kodak rising from the dead just because they liscensed their name to a coin.

NeoGAF should start a coin; NeoGAF Gold. If Dogecoin can be worth billions, I'm sure we could pump this up enough for some sizeable returns. Just look at Kodak rising from the dead just because they liscensed their name to a coin.

You could be onto something here.. I mean even just creating the NeoGAF coin and using it as a means to transfer between gaf accounts is more utility than 99% of the shitcoins on coinmarketcap.com

Relativ9

I hate the fact that there is already a coin called NeoCoin, seems like such a missed opportunity. GafCoin? Gaffoin?

longdi

Banned
Noob question, but bitcoin is oft quoted to be limited to 21m coins, but i see many exchanges offering it in decimal denominations.

Razorback

Noob question, but bitcoin is oft quoted to be limited to 21m coins, but i see many exchanges offering it in decimal denominations.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, but why wouldn't that be the case? Just like a dollar is made up of 100 cents, a bitcoin is made up of 100,000,000 satoshis.

longdi

Banned
I always thought bitcoin is associated with gold, you get a lump of gold and there are only 21millon of them, thus the "rarity"

Razorback

I always thought bitcoin is associated with gold, you get a lump of gold and there are only 21millon of them, thus the "rarity"

You can subdivide pieces of gold into whatever size you want. A Satoshi is the smallest unit a Bitcoin can be divided.

gatti-man

How many people have lost thousands now? The whole buy the dip thing isn’t working so great for btc. If it breaks under 10k look out below.

When I created this thread btc was 17k on its way up to 20k not down. Don’t invest in fads.

Last edited:

prophetvx

How many people have lost thousands now? The whole buy the dip thing isn’t working so great for btc. If it breaks under 10k look out below.

When I created this thread btc was 17k on its way up to 20k not down. Don’t invest in fads.
You created this thread on November 27th. According to coinmarketcap the price was $9997. If people invested the day you posted and pulled out today, they'd still be up over 15% in 1.5 months.

4x3FiDP.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom