• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob Ross returns! Joy of Painting marathon back on Twitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Edit: It's happening! https://www.twitch.tv/bobross

Well… Bob’s 74th birthday is just around the corner and we think it would be criminal if we didn’t celebrate again. So, we’re happy to announce that starting 10/29 at 9am PDT, we’ll begin the marathon one more time. Every episode, every happy little tree, every almighty mountain, and every life-affirming word of wisdom will be streamed on /bobross in full. SAVED, indeed.
https://blog.twitch.tv/for-the-love-of-bob-6b3b73957938#.c8mmrbkjn

Probably the best thing Twitch has ever done.

Blizzard

Banned
I have fond memories of watching the original marathon. I'm really glad they kept it going as a weekly thing, even if the audience is smaller for those. One day I'll get back to trying to reproduce it with digital painting!

Afrikan

One of the best things I have ever seen the internet produce hands down.

bobross-painting.gif

B.K.

I hope they really do show all the episodes this time. They started skipping episodes near the end last year.

RetroMG

I'm in, though I have to say that I preferred the Julia Child Marathon.

Especially when they started randomly throwing this into the mix.

I thought my headphones were plugged in but they weren't

Ok so I'm back home with my parents and sleeping in the same room as my teenage sister since she has two beds.

It's 11PM and I'm just casually watching some adult entertainment. My sister looks to be asleep and she can't see my canvas anyway. I thought my headphones were plugged in... but they weren't.

I realized this when I can hear the echo of the most soothing voice of the world in the room. I lift up one earcup and lo and behold, I got Bob Ross noises playing full-blast throughout my little sisters room.

I feel like I'm paralysed and can't move. Is she awake? Did the noise wake her up? How much did she hear? Does she now feel the joy of painting? So many questions and my heart is beating like a happy little drum.

Oh lord Jesus almighty what do I do. I swear I wasn't going to beat the devil out of it, but I still feel like a lizard in crimson, caught red-handed.
Please answer quickly, and god bless.

Exotoro

Ok so I'm back home with my parents and sleeping in the same room as my teenage sister since she has two beds.

It's 11PM and I'm just casually watching some adult entertainment. My sister looks to be asleep and she can't see my canvas anyway. I thought my headphones were plugged in... but they weren't.

I realized this when I can hear the echo of the most soothing voice of the world in the room. I lift up one earcup and lo and behold, I got Bob Ross noises playing full-blast throughout my little sisters room.

I feel like I'm paralysed and can't move. Is she awake? Did the noise wake her up? How much did she hear? Does she now feel the joy of painting? So many questions and my heart is beating like a happy little drum.

Oh lord Jesus almighty what do I do. I swear I wasn't going to beat the devil out of it, but I still feel like a lizard in crimson, caught red-handed.
Post of the year

Post of the year

Seriously, I need help, I can draw you a diagram.
Phthalo Green represent paint noises

(god I'm so glad this is a thing. I usually watch them on youtube when I'm working on writing/drawing something and it's like the perfect background noise to both concentrate and not feel like you're going insane from the silence.)

Wilsongt

Happy little green lines equals noise.

Oooh, I tried following along digitally last year because I'm too broke to buy actual painting supplies. I have to admit that it's not easy digitally because you don't have tools like that spatula thing. You also can't beat the devil out of your brushes which is quite dissapointing. That being said I think it's the best landscape I have ever produced and the techniques definitely work even if you suck at visual art like I do.

Here's the result of my endeavors for you to laugh at.

Oooh, I tried following along digitally last year because I'm too broke to buy actual painting supplies. I have to admit that it's not easy digitally because you don't have tools like that spatula thing. You also can't beat the devil out of your brushes which is quite dissapointing. That being said I think it's the best landscape I have ever produced and the techniques definitely work even if you suck at visual art like I do.

Here's the result of my endeavors for you to laugh at.

I found that the biggest problem with digital painting (at least from what I tried) is that you don't get the benefits of an 'wet canvas' to drag the paint, make it naturally brighter as you use what's on your paintbrush, and mix different tones - you can do all that through opacity, of course, and it still worked pretty well for me, but then it's a lot more about knowing the different shades of the same colors and focusing on blending.

There are a couple of preset brushes as well that can be tweaked to simulate pressure and scatter through the tablet sensitivity, and while I definitely only scraped the surface of what you can do, it was already a really good learning experience.

I do want to try it out with actual painting supplies and a canvas down the road and actually try the techniques instead of finding workarounds, though. Yours looks pretty good, though! The outlines in the back and the trees give the piece its own identity, and the bushes and little trees up front look super neat as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom