• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 3 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

What on earth is wrong with some of you? Not only was it a good ep, it was a high point of the series.

Breaking Bad is easily in the running for the best show I've ever seen and it just gets better as it goes.

AnkitT

Immensely enjoyed this episode. The camera work and lighting was pretty engaging, and the dialogue was great.

edit: :lol the usual costanza bullshit as I read back. Dont know why the dude has to assert his own preferences so aggressively.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Costanza said:
Holy shit at people thinking this episode was good.
Jesus.....I can't believe I haven't put this guy on my ignore list until now. Too bad people endlessly quote him though.

Fordzilla

Costanza said:
Nothing happened, might as well just skip it. And I never condone doing that.
You have no soul. You clearly don't appreciate just how great this show is. The suspense of Walt possibly telling Jessie that he let Jane had me on the edge of my seat. So did a few other parts of the episode.

mattiewheels said:
Jesus.....I can't believe I haven't put this guy on my ignore list until now. Too bad people endlessly quote him though.
I had forgotten about the ignore list! Thanks for reminding me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
This episode gave me what i've been wanting for awhile. Jesse / walter interacting, and it dedicated a entire 46 minutes to it. Wow. I think this might end up being one of my favorite BB episode on re-watches.

Also figures costanza would hate it, dude has shitty taste.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
akachan ningen said:
How the fuck can anyone compare this shit to Pine Barrens? That episode was actually funny.
Two inept characters stuck together trying to do something. Pine Barrens was definitely funnier, but Pine Barrens probably would have been better if they cut out all the Meadow/Jackie Jr./Gloria bullshit - so Breaking Bad did that one thing better.

Daigoro

christ, cant believe im siding with Costanza.

this ep was a mix between some great and some really bad. some seriously bad dialog at the beginning, some really drawn out scenes. some great plot points and character development.

different director for this ep or no?

dunno. didnt love it though. easily low point of the season.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Allow me to blow the haters minds:

1274743717575.jpg

=

1274744454559.png

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
wtf at some of the reviews calling this the best episode ever. What a bunch of pretentious nonsense (the reviews, not the episode).

I thought the episode was ok. I'll just be glad when the show returns to normal.

_Bro

Banned
Remember guys, Costanza thinks the best episode of Community is also Modern Warfare.

I'm beginning to think you put on the facade of liking things but your love only stems from the moments where they're out of character.

tokkun

Daigoro said:
remind me to never watch Brick then.

Brick is pretty much the exact opposite of this episode of Breaking Bad - extremely fast paced, highly-stylized dialog, and filled with plot twists.

Costanza

Banned
_Bro said:
Remember guys, Costanza thinks the best episode of Community is also Modern Warfare.

I'm beginning to think you put on the facade of liking things but your love only stems from the moments where they're out of character.
The fuck? Do you not hear me saying how great this show is (and for Community too) every fucking week?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
_Bro said:

I think he only likes things that he can describe with expletives.:lol

_Bro

Banned
UrbanRats said:
It's just this episode anyway :p
It's good to bitch on something different from Skyler, sometimes. :lol
Which isn't even possible considering Team Walt just got blindsided by Walt describing himself as the bad guy.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Huge Rian Johnson fan. Loved this episode. Seemed to finally have a bit of closure over the events of last season between Jesse and Walt. And goddamn, how close was Walt to spilling his guts about Jane? :lol

Also loved that Walt knew exactly what was going on with the missing product. He's not an idiot. ^_^

Edit: Reading some of the backposts, you guys are mean! :lol

Helmholtz

Er, I thought the episode was pretty good. Sure it didn't progress the plot, but it had some great Jesse/Walt interaction. Was beautifully shot too imo. *shrugs*

bridegur

You guys, don't worry about Costanza. He has a very well documented history of weird taste (some good, some devastatingly bad), including this bit on the best sitcom of all time:

It sure as shit isn't I Love Lucy or any of those other crappy old B&W sitcoms.

xbhaskarx

I enjoyed this episode, but I thought Brick was pretty much awful, the type of movie that's not nearly as good as it thinks it is.
Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, etc.

Costanza said:
Brick is actually really fucking good.

Of course :lol

OneEightZero said:
Huge Rian Johnson fan.

How can anyone be a "huge" Rian Johnson fan when his career basically consists of two movies and this episode. That's not exactly a deep body of work. That's like being a "huge Richard Kelly fan" because you liked Donnie Darko.
And Rian Johnson is not exactly a youngster, he's just a couple years younger than accomplished
and talented
directors like Darren Aronofsky, Wes Anderson, and PT Anderson.

ezekial45

Banned
OneEightZero said:
Huge Rian Johnson fan. Loved this episode. Seemed to finally have a bit of closure over the events of last season between Jesse and Walt. And goddamn, how close was Walt to spilling his guts about Jane? :lol

Also loved that Walt knew exactly what was going on with the missing product. He's not an idiot. ^_^

Edit: Reading some of the backposts, you guys are mean! :lol

How about making some gifs? Walt falling and the fly dropping in slow motion were would make great ones.

Boonoo

akachan ningen said:
How the fuck can anyone compare this shit to Pine Barrens? That episode was actually funny.

Quality aside you have to admit that there was a similar feel to them. I haven't seen it in a while, so all I remember is the basic two characters fumbling around as they dig themselves in deeper aspect of it.

Costanza

Banned
bridegur said:
You guys, don't worry about Costanza. He has a very well documented history of weird taste (some good, some devastatingly bad), including this bit on the best sitcom of all time:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

i love lucy "best sitcom of all time"

tokkun

xbhaskarx said:
How can anyone be a "huge" Rian Johnson fan when his career basically consists of two movies and this episode.

Whereas Wes Anderson just makes the same one movie over and over again.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
xbhaskarx said:
I enjoyed this episode, but I thought Brick was pretty much awful, the type of movie that's not nearly as good as it thinks it is.
Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, etc.

Of course :lol

How can anyone be a "huge" Rian Johnson fan when his career basically consists of two movies and this episode. That's not exactly a deep body of work. That's like being a "huge Richard Kelly fan" because you liked Donnie Darko.
And Rian Johnson is not exactly a youngster, he's just a couple years younger than accomplished
and talented
directors like Darren Aronofsky, Wes Anderson, and PT Anderson.
It's a great career so far. Let's just say I anticipate what he does next greatly. ^_^

Speevy

Banned
The directing wouldn't have struck me as odd compared to other episodes.

Maybe the fly getting around was a bit artsy, but the views from inside various spinning or cooking devices is commonplace on Breaking Bad now.

Aside from that the views of Jesse and Walt from various angles effectively captured their conversation.

I guess the director did the best he could with the space he had to work with. My favorite shots are those long desert ones. I also liked the table meeting between Walt and Gus, anything involving a hallway (very Coen-ish).

I really liked this one in which the camera tracks Walt coming into the room all the way until he sits down, and it transitions so seamlessly to him talking to Skyler. Can't remember the episode, but it was really cool.

bridegur

Costanza said:

i love lucy "best sitcom of all time"

I should clarify -- that was from the thread discussing the best sitcom moment of all time. I don't know if I'd put Lucy at #1, but it's definitely up there.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Best episode since the one when the camper broke down. Loved the well needed Walt/Jesse episode. Walt discussing his death and the "ideal" time was perfect. He's not delusional. He knows now that everything he does is for more than just "helping his family" or being a "final breadwinner." It's about the money, it's about ego, it's about being the best at something.

xbhaskarx

tokkun said:
Whereas Wes Anderson just makes the same one movie over and over again.

Did most of the top painters just make the same painting over and over again?
It's called being an auteur and having a distinctive style and creative vision. That's like criticizing a Coen brothers film for being "too Coenesque"...

Just popping in to say HOLY FUCK @ One Minute. And a extra "fuck you buddy" to Cajole for making that gif lmao. It's what convinced me to start watching the show, so it was spoiled. But still, that was the most tense scene of television I've seen in a long fucking time. The entire episode seemed to be building up to Hank's death, which put some doubt into my mind on whether the gif was actually the last scene.

Ok, heading back out now. Couple more episodes and I'll be caught up

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
akachan ningen said:

I liked this episode of Breaking Bad but I don't see the comparison either. As I recall, the Pine Barrens episode was pretty much a humorous episode throughout while this Breaking Bad episode was far, far more serious. Yeah, there was some slapstick and such during the first half but it still worked along with the lines of Walt breaking down. And those last minutes, with Walt seemingly on the verge of telling Jesse about Jane, was damn tense I'd say.

tokkun said:
The truck scene was impulsive and he swerved out of the way to safety before he was hit. In this episode he was consciously and deliberately saying "I have lived too long." If that is too subtle a difference for you to discern, well, I'm sure you can find a large selection of Michael Bay movies at your local Blockbuster.

To me that came off as an impulsive way for Walt to test himself to see how he'd react, how he felt about it all. It was like he almost didn't realize what he was doing himself. Now he's come to terms with how he feels about it but still -- like the fly in that last episode, I suppose -- he's a survivor that goes on while leaving chaos in his footsteps.

Absolutely amazing episode. I am absolutely baffled that anyone could not like that. It was possibly my favorite episode of Breaking Bad ever. Gripping performances every step of the way, and perfect camera work. Breaking Bad is on a level no other series is touching right now. WOW.

EDIT: People are saying it's OK to skip Fly? Are you guys insane? We couldn't have been watching the same episode.

Initially this episode wasn't working for me. I found the execution to be a bit heavy handed and some of the imagery distracting, but by the end it all came together and i was immensely satisfied. Not even close to the best episode of the show, not by a long shot, but it was still great (as usual) and i think it will improve a lot when i rewatch it.

Walt's admissions of guilt and his deliberation over what would've been the best moment for his death got me all choked up. ;_; Cranston acted the fucking hell out of this material. Aaron Paul did as well. It was so nice to have an episode solely focused on Jesse and Walt's interactions again.

The ladder scene was superb too. The crew on this show are masterful at creating intensity out of the simplest things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom