• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian General Election (OT) - #elxn42: October 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forum was closest for the last Ontario Provincial election, they had the Liberals winning a majority in the middle of the campaign

MarkusRJR

So I'm trying to figure out who I should vote for. Not 100% sure how Canada's system works despite living here my whole life. I honestly follow US politics way more than Canada's. Just going by my basic understanding, by voting you aren't necessarily voting for the main 3-5 people (Steven Harper, Trudeau, etc), but instead are voting someone into a seat in Parliament? And the party with the largest amount of seats gets to be the prime minister?

Basically, I want to vote either Liberal or NDP (don't really care which). I don't know which has a better shot of winning in my location though. Are there any recent voting polls for me to get an idea of who I should vote for?

These are my results.

QL4h6pY.png

I voted for NDP in the last election and intend to do it again. This is my little brother and sister's first federal election so I'm trying to make them take the test.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Basically, I want to vote either Liberal or NDP (don't really care which). I don't know which has a better shot of winning in my location though. Are there any recent voting polls for me to get an idea of who I should vote for?

Well if you're going by the strategic voting attitude, then it's currently the NDP that are the best bet given they've been surging the past 2 or 3 months. I'd suggest looking at polls like Nanos or 308 (which recent started doing polling for CBC if I recall).

Just always take into account that all this is subject to change in the coming months, even dramatically. Though unlikely, the Liberals could potentially bounce back in polling if they pull the right punches.

EDIT: But seriously, you should likely do more research on the parties yourself.

So I'm trying to figure out who I should vote for. Not 100% sure how Canada's system works despite living here my whole life. I honestly follow US politics way more than Canada's. Just going by my basic understanding, by voting you aren't necessarily voting for the main 3-5 people (Steven Harper, Trudeau, etc), but instead are voting someone into a seat in Parliament? And the party with the largest amount of seats gets to be the prime minister?

Which riding are you in? There probably aren't any remotely accurate polls for your area yet, but you should find out who the candidates are and what the voting history is.

Well if you're going by the strategic voting attitude, then it's currently the NDP that are the best bet given they've been surging the past 2 or 3 months. I'd suggest looking at polls like Nanos or 308 (which recent started doing polling for CBC if I recall).

Just always take into account that all this is subject to change in the coming months, even dramatically. Though unlikely, the Liberals could potentially bounce back in polling if they pull the right punches.

1) 308 doesn't do polling. Instead, Grenier using the Nate Silver model and does an aggregate poll -- which doesn't work nearly as well in Canada as it does in the US, both because of our different systems and because our pollsters generally aren't that great. The fact Postmedia and Forum can both come up with polls that have the Conservatives and NDP, respectively, in the high 30s and winning by double digits a week apart should show just how much faith you can put in polls at this stage.

2) "Unlikely", eh? We'll see. We just had a provincial election that showed how much can change over the course of a campaign, and this campaign will be twice as long as that. If you don't want to compare provincial trends to federal ones, that just look at the 2011 federal election. At the outset, it was a two-horse race between the Liberals and the Conservatives, and the NDP was barely a blip on the radar in Quebec. We saw where that wound up just a few weeks later. 11+ weeks is a very long time, and I'd don't think you can call anything "unlikely" at this stage.

Anyway...interesting contrast for Day 2 of the election:

Harper in Laval (in front of a carefully-vetted crowd):

Trudeau in Calgary:

And Mulcair in...oh, what's that?

NDP leader Tom Mulcair is not campaigning today and has no immediate plans to do any active campaigning this week.

So he's skipping most of the debates -- after NDP supporters have been saying for months what a great debater he is, and how he was going to wipe the floor with Trudeau -- and he's also not actively campaigning. I'd call that a Harper-esque approach of avoiding people, but even Harper is getting out to meet some (carefully chosen) people.

lacinius

Interesting article on Harper's economic performance (action plan?)... or lack thereof. Basically the Harper government has the worst economic record of all governments in the post WWII years.

Some hard numbers from Harper’s soft economy

...Out of nine governments studied – it didn’t include governments like John Turner’s, that lasted less than a year – the Harper government finished last in job creation, last in exports, seventh in government debt, second last in personal income growth per capita, in business investment, in youth employment.

...the government’s tax cutting, which favours mainly the wealthier segments, has not resulted in the economic boost the Conservatives had hoped for. While the U.S. economy is moving ahead strongly, Canada’s is not catching on, he says. Investment from the private sector didn’t materialize; trickle-down economics hasn’t worked.

Steady hand at the tiller indeed.

maharg

idspispopd
Mulcair bailing on the debates is very disappointing to me. Him not going all out on campaigning yet doesn't really bother me much, though. I expect the NDP plan is (a) to really kick off campaigning after the first debate on the 6th, and (b) to save most of their warchest for the last month unless polls (including their internals) start going south for them before that. It's a valid strategy against the ridiculously long campaign. Likewise, the Liberals coming out swinging when they've been languishing in third for a while also makes sense.

If Mulcair's still being taciturn by the end of August, that's when I think it'd be a bigger problem.

Tiktaalik

Will be voting whichever of the Liberal or NDP candidates have the best shot at winning my riding.

I know making the Conservative candidate lose will make you feel good, but doesn't this sort of strategy increase the likeliness of a split between Liberal and NDP and a Minority Conservative government result?

It seems like the big hope is for a NDP/Liberal coalition, but it seems to me to be awfully risky to hope for that as the solution to Conservative rule, considering that it has never been done and it seems deeply controversial within the Liberal Party. The Liberals propped up the Conservatives from 2008 to 2011. Why wouldn't they do that again? They may see that as the better option when compared to being a junior partner in a coalition run by the NDP.

A more reasonable strategy in my opinion is to simply vote for the opposition party with the strongest chance of winning, which at the moment is the NDP due to their strong nationally wide support.

Tiktaalik

I'm not liking how Mulcair cancelled his trip to Vancouver when it became clear that the election will be called on this Sunday. He then flies to Gatineau, Quebec to kick off his election. Is anybody worried that a NDP government will be too invested in Quebec at the expense of other provinces ? It would make sense given that Quebec basically turned all orange last federal election and NDP would obviously want to cater to their supporters... who happen to show significant support in Quebec. At least Liberal's Trudeau came to Vancouver this weekend and also kicked off his campaign here as well. I just really want to see a government that actually cares about western Canada in a non-oil-loving sort of way. Harper didn't care for western Canada. He only cared for Alberta. The other parties have always just cared about central Canada and that's it.

To win this election the NDP absolutely must hold onto most of their seats in Quebec, so he's got to put in appearances. If Duceppe had not reappeared, maybe we'd have seen Mulcair hand off Quebec to one of his lieutenants, but now he has to treat the situation more seriously.

However the other part of the country where NDP support has shot up a great deal is in BC and here is where a few previously safe Conservative seats may slip away into NDP hands. I am expecting him to be in BC a lot as it will be a major battleground.

Saskachewan is another spot where the NDP could make substantial gains.

t-storm

And Mulcair in...oh, what's that?

So he's skipping most of the debates -- after NDP supporters have been saying for months what a great debater he is, and how he was going to wipe the floor with Trudeau -- and he's also not actively campaigning. I'd call that a Harper-esque approach of avoiding people, but even Harper is getting out to meet some (carefully chosen) people.
Like... this is just baffling. He's really doing his best to NOT have his party form government.

Tiktaalik

I'd love to vote NDP as I did last election, but my #1 priority is contributing to ousting Harper. Given that I live in the Papineau riding which is Justin Trudeau's riding, I'm likely going to help him keep his seat and vote for him unless something drastic happens during the campaign.

Fingers crossed for a NDP government, though.

Here's the 2011 results of Papineau updated due to the riding redistribution:
Code:
Liberal	17,047	37.93
New Democratic Party	13,625	29.47
Bloc Québécois	11,421	24.89
Conservative	2,314	5.04

There's clearly no chance the Conservatives will win, so why not vote NDP here?

Or do you want to keep Trudeau around for some other reason?

dc3k

So as someone who's moving to California at the end of the month, what are my options as far as voting goes? I always thought I could just mail it in, but that whole Donald Sutherland thing has me confused now.

Tiktaalik

If the objective is strategic voting, shouldn't people strategically vote for the opposition party that has more support, not the one that has less support?

More seriously than just being the opposition party with the least amount of support, at the moment Liberal party support is currently so badly distributed that they actually have no possible chance of winning.

Essentially the Liberals are the distant 3rd place competitor in too many places. The Liberal party is not terribly competitive in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec. They badly need the entire situation to change in Quebec otherwise they simply cannot put together enough seats to get out of third place, even if they did fantastic in the areas where they're second.

Obviously anything can change over the campaign as we saw in the previous election, when the NDP surged in Quebec half way through. People must follow the current state of national support very closely.

I only bring these points up to highlight that a poll stating a party has whatever amount of national support could sound like they're pretty close, in the running and could win, but the distribution of that support is crucially important. High support unevenly in all the wrong places will result in a tough loss.

Mulcair bailing on the debates is very disappointing to me. Him not going all out on campaigning yet doesn't really bother me much, though. I expect the NDP plan is (a) to really kick off campaigning after the first debate on the 6th, and (b) to save most of their warchest for the last month unless polls (including their internals) start going south for them before that. It's a valid strategy against the ridiculously long campaign. Likewise, the Liberals coming out swinging when they've been languishing in third for a while also makes sense.

If Mulcair's still being taciturn by the end of August, that's when I think it'd be a bigger problem.

I'm certainly not going to complain if he's ceding the first chunk of the campaign to the Liberals. It was terrible strategy when Martin and the Liberals did it back in 2005/6, and it seems just as bad now.

That said, if I remember his leadership campaign correctly, he ran in a somewhat similar way: by acting like the presumptive winner, rather than like he had something to prove.

Agreed about the Liberals, though: if they'd come out any other way, I'd have been enormously annoyed. They have ground to make up, and getting in front of as many people as possible is the best way to do that. They've put in a lot of work towards building up a ground game over the last couple of months, so it would've been a shame to let that go to waste.

So as someone who's moving to California at the end of the month, what are my options as far as voting goes? I always thought I could just mail it in, but that whole Donald Sutherland thing has me confused now.

Check Elections.ca. You can still mail it in. Whether you'll still be able to vote in five years remains to be seen, but for now, there's nothing stopping you from voting by mail.

Sakura

Considering you clearly don't seem to know much about Canadian politics or how it works at the moment, I strongly suggest reading party platforms and whatnot, and then voting for the party you agree with most.

But yes what you are voting for is the member of parliament running in your riding. You are not voting for Mulcair, Harper, Trudeau, etc (unless of course you live in the riding they are running in). The party with the most seats will form government with the leader of the party being Prime Minister. If they win more than half of the available seats then they form a majority government.

You could go find your riding in previous elections (on wikipedia or elections canada for example) and see how it voted. If it was heavy for one party the last couple elections, it likely will be again.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

There's a two page form you fill out (from Elections Canada) that will register you as an out-of-country elector. You can fax or mail the form. You may want to call to see if you should do this before or after you move.

In terms of riding, you will be put in either your last Canadian address or the address of a relative, your choice.

They will send you a kit with voting information to your out-of-country address.

maharg

idspispopd
This will be more effective at killing Harper's chances than any scandal.

On the other hand, his favourite song to perform is Imagine. Which always baffled me. Does he really have no idea at all what it means? I'm not sure any song in history expresses an ideology more diametrically opposed to his.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
On the other hand, his favourite song to perform is Imagine. Which always baffled me. Does he really have no idea at all what it means? I'm not sure any song in history expresses an ideology more diametrically opposed to his.
I can't really fault him for that because most people don't pay attention to the meaning of songs.

dc3k

Check Elections.ca. You can still mail it in. Whether you'll still be able to vote in five years remains to be seen, but for now, there's nothing stopping you from voting by mail.

There's a two page form you fill out (from Elections Canada) that will register you as an out-of-country elector. You can fax or mail the form. You may want to call to see if you should do this before or after you move.

In terms of riding, you will be put in either your last Canadian address or the address of a relative, your choice.

They will send you a kit with voting information to your out-of-country address.

Perfect, thank you both.

Jakten

It's possible he thinks it supports his ideology, the lyrics are vague and don't specify how we are going to get to such a world. Or he knows what it means and knows that it would make him look like a caring person so he says that to make himself look better.

Those are beautiful results.

I'm hoping for some backlash against the early campaign. Completely unnecessary.

Also, it looks like Harper is playing tag team with the Bloc. He says "the NDP MPs of Quebec are the most useless there have been." Useless for what? Opposing his own government? He is parroting the same line as the Bloc.

He blames the recession on China's slowing growth and Europe's debt crisis :lol :lol All Mulcair and Trudeau have to do is get him talking about the state of the economy. The holes dig themselves.

jstripes

Banned
Those are beautiful results.

I'm hoping for some backlash against the early campaign. Completely unnecessary.

Also, it looks like Harper is playing tag team with the Bloc. He says "the NDP MPs of Quebec are the most useless there have been." Useless for what? Opposing his own government? He is parroting the same line as the Bloc.

He blames the recession on China's slowing growth and Europe's debt crisis :lol :lol All Mulcair and Trudeau have to do is get him talking about the state of the economy. The holes dig themselves.

Which is exactly why we won't be seeing him at the debates.

Edit: I can just picture Steven Harper at a parent-teacher meeting.

Teacher: We have to talk about your son. He's failing in math, and the other day he shoved a kid in the toilet.

Harper: The Conservatives have a proven economic track record. We just delivered a billion dollars in tax cuts for families. Justin Trudeau thinks the economy will fix itself. Tom Mulcair will just raise taxes and take your family's money away.

this 2 and half month long campaign is going to benefit Justin.

Mulcair is the better parliamentarian but Trudeau is the better campaigner

2 days in and Justin has been more front and center so far compared to controlled Harper and absent Tom.

maharg

idspispopd
what campaigns you speak of? 2011 was all Jack and the NDP has lost almost all bi-elections since

Yeah, I'm sure Mulcair had nothing to do with NDP success in Quebec. You know, being that he was literally their first Quebec member ever.

But seeing as I don't really consider byelections barometers of much at all, and neither have been leaders of a federal party during a federal election yet, I'm going on the campaigns they've *personally* fought. Mulcair has been very successful on the campaign trail no matter how you slice it.

SRG01

Yeah, I'm sure Mulcair had nothing to do with NDP success in Quebec. You know, being that he was literally their first Quebec member ever.

But seeing as I don't really consider byelections barometers of much at all, and neither have been leaders of a federal party during a federal election yet, so I'm going on the campaigns they've *personally* fought. Mulcair has been very successful on the campaign trail no matter how you slice it.

Yes, Mulcair was their top lieutenant in Quebec and was very instrumental in engineering the NDP's gains in Quebec, especially their ground campaign IIRC.

Tiktaalik

Why a NDP/Liberal coalition will probably never happen in a nutshell:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...s-up-for-grabs-poll-suggests/article25819640/

The Nanos Research data also provides some potential clues as to why Mr. Harper’s Conservatives focused their pre-election advertising on knocking back Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, rather than taking aim at the new front-runner, the NDP’s Thomas Mulcair.

One reason is that weakening the NDP before the campaign would be more likely to help the Liberals than the Tories. Only 12 per cent of NDP supporters list the Conservatives as their second choice, while 40.6 per cent see the Liberals as the best alternative – so if voters leave Mr. Mulcair, the lion’s share can be expected to turn to Mr. Trudeau.

When the Liberals fall, however, the Conservatives can expect to do somewhat better, because 29.2 per cent of Liberal supporters rate the Tories second.

In many important Liberal ridings voters would be quite happy to elect a Conservative MP. Liberals MPs aren't going to bend their ideology, jeopardize their careers, and livelihood by aligning themselves with the NDP.

Why a NDP/Liberal coalition will probably never happen in a nutshell:

In many important Liberal ridings voters would be quite happy to elect a Conservative MP. Liberals MPs aren't going to bend their ideology, jeopardize their careers, and livelihood by aligning themselves with the NDP.

you guys on the left think everybody else to the right of you to be an outright Conservatives.

here is the truth about 2nd choices:
http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/pressrelease.aspx?id=6925

Voters’ second choice gives glimpse into possible vote shifting: NDP has most to gain…

Among Conservative voters, more would choose the NDP (27%) than the Liberals (16%) as their second choice with the Bloc not registering any support (0%).
Among Liberal voters, the NDP (46%) is by far the more popular second choice over the Tories (16%) and Bloc (6%).
Among NDP voters, the Liberals (44%) are considerably more popular as the second choice than the Tories (14%) and Bloc (8%)
Among Bloc voters, the NDP (41%) is the most common second choice, followed by the Grits (13%) and the Tories (10%).

Tiktaalik

While we're trading various polling firms' data, here's ekos'

http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2015/07/midsummer-haze-clouds-voter-outlook/

Liberals wanting Conservatives over Mulcair lead coalition at 26%
NDP wanting Conservatives over Trudeau lead coalition at 17%

Believe who which polls you want want to believe in, but I don't think it's an unusual statement to make that the Liberals carry a bigger right leaning component than the NDP do. The coalition debacle of 2008 seemed much more controversial for the Liberals than it did for NDP, and after Dion was ejected the Liberals supported the Conservatives up until 2011.

EDIT: I'm not attacking the Liberal Party for their beliefs here, I'm just stating that I think there's a much bigger gap between them and the NDP that the electorate seems to believe. The electorate seems to lump them together as two near indistinguishable progressive parties that have much in common (and which should obviously join in a coalition), but I don't think that's true at all, and the data doesn't really back that concept up either.

In a minority situation they could get a lot passed but there would be some big debates between them, but you can manage deal with the issues you don't agree on later on

Sakura

Surprised to see NDP so much higher than Liberal in my riding, though maybe it was like that in previous elections too (too lazy to check).
Looks like it is still a conservative riding though.

Samyy

My area is basically neck and neck between Conservative and Liberal so I will probably be voting Liberal

dluu13

Wow according to 308, my riding is totally NDP (University-Rosedale in Toronto). Speaking of ridings, I'm pretty sure the government still has my address as being in Vancouver at my parent's house. Since I will be moving around a lot, I don't really want to update my address until I settle down. Unless they somehow send me a voter card at my current address, how do I vote?

SRG01

I was just reading an article on CBC Edmonton which got me thinking: the NDP doesn't have a full slate of candidates yet, especially in Alberta. I wonder if this is a deliberate strategy to keep people talking about them, with or without the early campaigning?

Kurdel

Banned
My main issue is legal weed. From what I can gather the NPD are in favor decriminalizing, whereas the Liberal party want to legalize and tax it, right?

While we're trading various polling firms' data, here's ekos'

http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2015/07/midsummer-haze-clouds-voter-outlook/

Liberals wanting Conservatives over Mulcair lead coalition at 26%
NDP wanting Conservatives over Trudeau lead coalition at 17%

Believe who which polls you want want to believe in, but I don't think it's an unusual statement to make that the Liberals carry a bigger right leaning component than the NDP do. The coalition debacle of 2008 seemed much more controversial for the Liberals than it did for NDP, and after Dion was ejected the Liberals supported the Conservatives up until 2011.

EDIT: I'm not attacking the Liberal Party for their beliefs here, I'm just stating that I think there's a much bigger gap between them and the NDP that the electorate seems to believe. The electorate seems to lump them together as two near indistinguishable progressive parties that have much in common (and which should obviously join in a coalition), but I don't think that's true at all, and the data doesn't really back that concept up either.

I think this is accurate. I may dislike Harper and want him out, but if it's at the cost of getting an NDP government led by Mulcair...enh, suddenly I'm a lot more ambivalent about it, because I really loathe Mulcair as well (his little habit of refusing the call the Liberal Party by its name -- instead calling them the "third party" -- pretty much solidifies that he and his party will never get my vote or my support). I don't think I'm alone on that, either -- Kady O'Malley tweeted a few months ago that her perception was that Liberal and NDP supporters disliked each other more than either disliked the Conservatives, and the responses all seemed to support that.

Wow according to 308, my riding is totally NDP (University-Rosedale in Toronto). Speaking of ridings, I'm pretty sure the government still has my address as being in Vancouver at my parent's house. Since I will be moving around a lot, I don't really want to update my address until I settle down. Unless they somehow send me a voter card at my current address, how do I vote?

Elections Canada has voting information for students and first-time voters -- that might help?

Dazzler

Am I reading the Three Hundred Eight projection properly?

Not a single Con in all of Vancouver or Surrey? This surprises me (keeping in mind this is the first fed election I've paid attention to)

dluu13

I think this is accurate. I may dislike Harper and want him out, but if it's at the cost of getting an NDP government led by Mulcair...enh, suddenly I'm a lot more ambivalent about it, because I really loathe Mulcair as well (his little habit of refusing the call the Liberal Party by its name -- instead calling them the "third party" -- pretty much solidifies that he and his party will never get my vote or my support). I don't think I'm alone on that, either -- Kady O'Malley tweeted a few months ago that her perception was that Liberal and NDP supporters disliked each other more than either disliked the Conservatives, and the responses all seemed to support that.

Elections Canada has voting information for students and first-time voters -- that might help?

Ah, that was easy. Just submitted the request. Thanks.

jstripes

Banned
http://www.threehundredeight.com/p/canada.html

threehundredeight updated their riding projections.

Look for yours in here and see what's up

So many GTA suburbs going Conservative.

These are the uninformed middle class twits who Harper has been spending tens of millions of dollars on propaganda towards in the past few years. Listen to any boomer-oriented radio station in the GTA and you would have heard those "just not ready" ads 10 times a day for the past year or so.

Pakkidis

So many GTA suburbs going Conservative.

These are the uninformed middle class twits who Harper has been spending tens of millions of dollars on propaganda towards in the past few years. Listen to any boomer-oriented radio station in the GTA and you would have heard those "just not ready" ads 10 times a day for the past year or so.

Those commercials are so annoying. My riding however is showing that it is very liberal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom