• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian General Election (OT) - #elxn42: October 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

The funeral was less than a km away, and wasn't until three hours later.

Never knew that. Let's hope he answers questions from the media in the future.Harper looked a bit uncomfortable while answering questions.I seriously don't want the NDP to act like the conservatives during the election.

Problem is, people think that what you're saying means to vote Liberal when they are dead last in the polls. It makes a lot more sense to vote for the opposition if you want to oust the incumbent government.

You have to look at it on a riding-by-riding basis. Like the OP says, it's 338 elections occuring at the same time rather than one nation-wide election. If the Liberals are the best choice in your riding for beating the Conservatives, it would make more sense to vote Liberal, and vote for NDP in NDP/Conservative ridings. In a riding where Conservatives (or Bloc, for federalists) have no chance of winning, you are free to choose whoever you want.

Sakura

Neat to contrast the opening press conferences from the four national party leaders.

Harper, in front of Rideau Hall:

Mulcair, in Ottawa:

(And as a sidenote, Harper took five questions at his press conference -- looking incredibly uncomfortable doing so -- but Mulcair just read his prepared statement and left, leading to this tweet from the CPC Communications Director:

Kind of hilarious/sad to see that Harper's people are able to criticize anyone for avoiding the media.)

Trudeau, with LPC candidates at Vancouver Pride:

May, with Greens in Vancouver:

Mulcair taking the wrong notes from Harper obviously. Should be able to answer at least a few questions.

1185702969.jpg

Here's my Results

jstripes

Banned
CLbl2FIUEAAx7Ei.jpg

ieIw6niHNfVIo.png

It begins.

"For A Safer Canada"

Going with fear-mongering, I see.

Canada's one of the safest countries on the planet. If anything, Harper's foreign policy has made it less safe.

"Stronger Economy"

I guess all we need to do is dig even more into the oil sands. That'll fix it.

Yawnier

Banned
I'm in one of the most conservative ridings in atlantic canada, I will be shocked if anyone besides them win that seat come October.

I'm still going to vote NDP or Liberal, but I won't lie when I say it's discouraging.

Hellraizah

No surprise for me.

YFtWaqe.png

I don't think there will be a Libertarian candidate here, so I guess I'll be voting Conservatives.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I feel like this part of the OP should be bolded more for the sake of the uninformed or people who could be potentially jumping the gun.
I Side With does have a Canadian quiz, though be warned that it may not be particularly accurate or helpful (at least judging by the experiences of Canadian Poligaf -- though it's also entirely possible every one of us is a raging communist, I suppose).

It really helps to do your own research on the parties.

I'm in one of the most conservative ridings in atlantic canada, I will be shocked if anyone besides them win that seat come October.

I'm still going to vote NDP or Liberal, but I won't lie when I say it's discouraging.

Which riding? I don't think Atlantic Canada will be very fertile ground for the Conservatives. Newfoundland will be a total write-off for them, and with Mackay gone Nova Scotia might be as well. New Brunswick might be safer territory for them, but even there, polls show the CPC has taken a big hit.

Day 1 recap

Harper today only took 5 questions with no follow ups from journalists.
Mulcair today took NO questions from journalists.
Trudaeu took many questions from journalists.

Day 1 recap

Harper today only took 5 questions with no follow ups from journalists.
Mulcair today took NO questions from journalists.
Trudaeu took many questions from journalists.
I personally found the journalists in Trudaeu speech video quite funny. Trudeau took so many questions they seemed almost confused that he kept on telling them to ask more

CLbl2FIUEAAx7Ei.jpg

ieIw6niHNfVIo.png

It begins.
Well, that was fast. I thought it would take longer for the campaign buses to roll out

jstripes

Banned
I personally found the journalists in Trudaeu speech video quite funny. Trudeau took so many questions they seemed almost confused that he kept on telling them to ask more

Well, that was fast. I thought it would take longer for the campaign buses to roll out

That thing's been sitting in the Conservative Bat Cave waiting to go.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My boss is running for the Green party, so everyone vote green!

.. I'm not allowed to vote. I'd probably vote NDP, though. (I don't live in my boss's riding anyway)

maharg

idspispopd
Nanos poll just out this morning:

Conservatives 31
NDP 30
Liberals 29

Nanos is arguably the best pollster in the country, so this election really is up for grabs.

Just want to go back to this, because right now Nanos is probably the worst pollster. They're rolling their polls over four weeks and coming out with sample sizes of <1000 (which is about the sample size they used to do for one 2-3 day period). Now, people often expect you need a lot more samples than you actually do to do accurate polling, but ... fewer than 250 people a week and then rolling in people from 4 weeks ago? That's just absurd.

They started doing this a few weeks ago.

Walpurgis

Banned
It is pretty disheatening. Considering how early this election is one more week wouldn't have killed him. That said, it doesn't seem like Harper cares all that much considering he decided to skip out on the funeral :/
Oh my god, what a jerk. Not only is he not attending, he even spelt her name wrong in a tweet and did this:
Harper hasn&#8217;t offered MacDonald&#8217;s family a state funeral, a special privilege he extended to former finance minister Jim Flaherty&#8217;s family when Flaherty died suddenly of a heart attack last year.
The woman is dead... Whatever you have against her, just forget it man.

Stage On

Arg this whole thing makes me sick. Like I wanted to listen to even more election adds then we already get since they basically blast them all the time even thought they really shouldn't be.

The worst part is the fair elections act bullshit. Why should our tax money be spent just so these guys can Campaign? Extending the election like this is literally costing us hundreds of millions of dollars that could be better spent elsewhere.

lupinko

Arg this whole thing makes me sick. Like I wanted to listen to even more election adds then we already get since they basically blast them all the time even thought they really shouldn't be.

The worst part is the fair elections act bullshit. Why should our tax money be spent just so these guys can Campaign? Extending the election like this is literally costing us hundreds of millions of dollars that could be better spent elsewhere.

I could be wrong (anyone can feel free to correct me), but aren't the Conservatives the only ones that benefit from that?

Sch1sm

I could be wrong (anyone can feel free to correct me), but aren't the Conservatives the only ones that benefit from that?

Yes, because the other parties can't afford to keep up with them.
-------

Saw a load of these on the first page on playing catch up, so I figured:

Pretty accurate. My riding is consistently Liberal, both federally and provincially, and I don't anticipate change this election.

Dazzler

It's probably way down the list of reasons why you should vote Liberal, but the fact that Trudeau seems quite amenable to pot legalization makes me want him to win

The federal government is unbelievably out of touch with your average young person on this issue

Sakura

It's probably way down the list of reasons why you should vote Liberal, but the fact that Trudeau seems quite amenable to pot legalization makes me want him to win

The federal government is unbelievably out of touch with your average young person on this issue

Well, to be fair, the average young person doesn't vote so...

Anyone see the latest poll today? Wow! I would bet many libs will move votes over to tom seeing as how he has a legit chance of forming govt.

Which poll? There are a lot, so you need to be specific. CTV yesterday had the parties separated by less than 3 points, so with 11 weeks to go, I don't think any party looks like they're a sure bet to win.

I read a few years ago that the Conservatives believed Trudeau's stance on pot would be a big vote winner for them, and that they could win a lot of votes if they just kept hammering the Liberals on that. That's why there have been so many anti-pot ads on TV for awhile now -- because the CPC believes it's one of the ways they can solidify their parent-friendly credentials.

Just want to go back to this, because right now Nanos is probably the worst pollster. They're rolling their polls over four weeks and coming out with sample sizes of <1000 (which is about the sample size they used to do for one 2-3 day period). Now, people often expect you need a lot more samples than you actually do to do accurate polling, but ... fewer than 250 people a week and then rolling in people from 4 weeks ago? That's just absurd.

They started doing this a few weeks ago.

Seriously? That's disappointing. I remember the 2004/6 elections, where he was basically untouchable as a pollster for nailing the final results. Wonder why he would change from something that was working so well?

t-storm

Anyone see the latest poll today? Wow! I would bet many libs will move votes over to tom seeing as how he has a legit chance of forming govt.
Interesting as it's only day 2 and I've already come to the conclusion I likely won't be voting NDP. Also, the backlash online and in the media over his campaign launch on day 1 has been strong. I never really gravitated towards his personality but I was at least open to the idea of voting for the party. However, I just don't respect his recent actions of not participating in the broadcasters' debate and shunning the media on day 1 of the campaign. These kinds of things set the tone going forward.

All that and observing Trudeau on day 1 push me closer towards voting Liberal.

gabbo

Interesting as it's only day 2 and I've already come to the conclusion I likely won't be voting NDP. Also, the backlash online and in the media over his campaign launch on day 1 has been strong. I never really gravitated towards his personality but I was at least open to the idea of voting for the party. However, I just don't respect his recent actions of not participating in the broadcasters' debate and shunning the media on day 1 of the campaign. These kinds of things set the tone going forward.

All that and observing Trudeau on day 1 push me closer towards voting Liberal.

Not taking questions, I can see you having issue with, that wasn't a good move.
The debates, that does make some sense. No need to give Harper fuel for his well-funded fire of attack ads if it doesn't go both ways.

jstripes

Banned
Hey, you know it will be an effective campaign.

Harper's greatest strength is his ability to misrepresent quotes and soundbites in order to make his opponents look bad.

As long as the general voting public doesn't look beyond soundbites, you're absolutely right.

maharg

idspispopd
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom