• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Nintendo Direct footage

Trailer: http://youtu.be/6SezVDf66YA

Developed by Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, etc).

Featuring characters like Henry Fleming (The Red Badge of Courage), Lion (The Wizard of Oz), Tiger Lily (Peter Pan), Tom Sawyer and Abraham Lincoln.

They said it'll be out Spring 2015 in the Japanese Direct. It'll be known as "Code Name S.T.E.A.M. - Lincoln Vs. Alien" in Japan, too.

Looks cool enough (and very silly) to me.

Thought it was worth it's own thread. Lock if there's another one (couldn't find anything with search).

EDIT: GameXplain has posted some direct feed gameplay videos & a discussion of their time with the game.

Buckingham Palace Mission: http://youtu.be/0lAKRpF26y0
London Factory Mission: http://youtu.be/OyouHuW9Q3Y
DIscussion: http://youtu.be/tjivygva-yQ

Screenshots from the official teaser site.
screenshot-01.png
screenshot-02.png

screenshot-03.png
screenshot-04.png

screenshot-05.png
screenshot-06.png

screenshot-07.png
screenshot-08.png

screenshot-09.png
screenshot-10.png

screenshot-11.png
screenshot-12.png

screenshot-13.png

GWX

Gameplay looks awesome. So sad this is not talked about as much as the other Direct games, I think it'll end up being of my favorites.

TreIII

IntSys already had me interested. The gameplay and the use of historical/literature-based personalities now just makes it only more so.

So stylish looking!

TI82

Banned
Love the developer and genre. Storyline or whatever looks incredibly stupid but that's fine I just want the gameplay. So far day one buy.

SalvaPot

IntSys' take on XCOM.

This should be in the Thread Title for sure.

I'm really digging the art style and all the characters seem based in historical and fictional characters, something i have a soft spot on.

Keep them coming nintendo.

Zomba13

Guys, it's IntSys' take on XCOM. This is my most hyped game right now on any platform.

I dunno, seems more like their take on Valkyria Chronicles what with the movement and aiming being real time stuff rather than turn based dice rolls.

I don't even remember why I wasn't super amped about this game at E3. I was on board with the concept from the start, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago when I decided to rewatch the Treehouse Live footage that I got totally stoked for this game. It looks great.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm gonna need some gifs to fap to. Do your magic, GAF.

StayDead

Looks much, much, much better than at E3.

Then again it's Intelligent Systems, the kings quite possibly of the entire industry when it comes to SRPGs so this was destined to be good.

Can't wait to play it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I dunno, seems more like their take on Valkyria Chronicles what with the movement and aiming being real time stuff rather than turn based dice rolls.

Doesn't look like you're pressed for time when you move though, I agree with the XCOM comparison more.

jackdoe

This is straight up Valkyria Chronicles, only with a less appealing art direction. I really don't like the art for this game.

lmao. Everything about this looks fantastic.

Reminds me of DC-era Sega stylistically. Completely insane, and all the better for it.

e: I do understand the graphics complaints, but it's a 3DS game. I like what they're doing in that context.

Doesn't look like you're pressed for time when you move though, I agree with the XCOM comparison more.
You'e talking about VC's ranking system, right? I refuse to believe that game's missions were designed with scout rushing in mind. If they were, playing with the whole team, rather than one class, is still more fun and interesting.

The Geoscape really defines XCOM for me, introducing a lot of strategy and organization to (at least in the original) randomly-occurring, randomly-generated tactical scenarios.

When the guy took out that Eagle weapon and a flag appeared behind him all I could do was salute. Not into tactic stuff but will get for Americaness.

I'll also pretend it's a prequel to The Conduit.

Calling it now, Tiger Lilly is going to ruffle a few feathers. I take it she's supposed to be native American? Tumblr's gonna hate that shit.

Looks like a giant, compressed wad of what the Japanese perceive as Western culture. Looks goofy as hell but I'm definitely intrigued by the VC and XCOM comparisons alone.

Altazor

I think it looks better than what they showed at E3, maybe? I'm not really sure. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me and it's not that big of a change... I do remember being a bit disappointed after the first images appeared. When reading the tweets and live-commentary of the guys who were actually there, I pictured something closer to Prof Layton's color palette. What we got was something absolutely different.

But hey, I think what they showed during the Direct looked good. It's growing on me. And IntSys are quality, so yeah.

I think it looks better than what they showed at E3, maybe? I'm not really sure. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me and it's not that big of a change... I do remember being a bit disappointed after the first images appeared. When reading the tweets and live-commentary of the guys who were actually there, I pictured something closer to Prof Layton's color palette. What we got was something absolutely different.

But hey, I think what they showed during the Direct looked good. It's growing on me. And IntSys are quality, so yeah.

Personally speaking, even if we saw a distinct graphical improvement it's hard for me to get past how much I dislike the game's aesthetic. Which is a shame because, outside of the look and the goofy story, the gameplay itself sounds right up my alley.

Wasn't interested at first but I'll grab it, I'm" a sucker for strategy games (portability being a bonus) especially given the comparisons to other games in the genre. I keep games like Advance Wars, XCOM, VC2, Field Commander, etc. in rotation so hopefully on it's own merits, the game lives up to others games in the genre.

Calling it now, Tiger Lilly is going to ruffle a few feathers. I take it she's supposed to be native American? Tumblr's gonna hate that shit.

I'll be honest, I did flinch a little when I saw her. Maybe she'll be fine? There's African-American and Mexican characters in the game, too, so she won't exactly be a token ethnic inclusion exactly.

I don't exactly approve of the stars and stripes hanging over London, but nothing here dissuades me from my view that Intelligent Systems is right up there with Firaxis as the most trusted name in turn-based strategy.
Yeah, that was weird. I know the game is set in an alternate history, but the whole US/UK relationship is really confusing in the trailer.

Looks like a giant, compressed wad of what the Japanese perceive as Western culture. Looks goofy as hell but I'm definitely intrigued by the VC and XCOM comparisons alone.

I'll be honest, I did flinch a little when I saw her. Maybe she'll be fine? There's African-American and Mexican characters in the game, too, so she won't exactly be a token ethnic inclusion exactly.

It can't possibly be as bad as her portrayal in Peter Pan.

samn

The specific usage of the word 'Overwatch' to describe setting up a character to shoot on an enemy's turn... very XCOM.

SalvaPot

What? Tiger Lilly looks adorable! My gf saw it and wants to cosplay it if she likes the character in the game.

All characters so far look very sharp, except Flemming who I´m still not really feeling, but all the others look brilliant.

Top Bottom