• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Nintendo Direct footage

OuterLimits

Considering I love SRPGs, I can't wait for this. I find enjoyment even from mediocre games in the genre like Ragnarok Tactics and Project X Zone.

I expect the game will be quite fun.

Mortemis

Banned
Ooh the elusive title begging. Why can [insert publisher] make the game I want them to make instead??

It's why we can't have nice things.

I'm excited for this. Not gonna lie when I first saw this I was turned a bit off by the art but it's grown on me, no idea how I can't be hyped for this.

Ultimadrago

I still hate the art style, yet the mechanics remain somewhat promising. Hope it turns out nicely for Intelligent Systems.

Yagharek

Looks like a really ugly version of valkria profile. Something about the environments in this game make me feel really claustrophobic, like going back to mid-gen N64 games.

Yes call me a graphics whore, but it will take a lot to get me behind this one. Multiplayer would be a start.

Go play Fire Emblem or Advance Wars. That's all the reason you will need.

Toad.T

Banned
Looking at the list of characters, I suddenly want a Psychotic, psychic, Holden Caulfield in the game. But considering they're aiming for a T rating, it's not going to happen.

Can't say I like the American centric nature of the plot and characters (especially for what seems to be the US having apparently conquered/taken over Britain at what should have been the height of the British empire), but given the Xcom/Valkyria chronicles like gameplay, and the Devs pedigree, I'll be buying it.

Still, American flags flying over London? So very wrong.

xaszatm

Banned
Can't say I like the American centric nature of the plot and characters (especially for what seems to be the US having apparently conquered/taken over Britain at what should have been the height of the British empire), but given the Xcom/Valkyria chronicles like gameplay, and the Devs pedigree, I'll be buying it.

Still, American flags flying over London? So very wrong.

I'm pretty sure that Abe Lincoln saying "The Queen needs you", and the narrator in an earlier trailer saying "Queen Victoria" makes it pretty clear that England is its own thing. I'm also pretty sure that those flags were over the American Embassy.

I'm pretty sure that Abe Lincoln saying "The Queen needs you", and the narrator in an earlier trailer saying "Queen Victoria" makes it pretty clear that England is its own thing. I'm also pretty sure that those flags were over the American Embassy.

That was my impression too, to be honest. May be a wrong one, though.

Mortemis

Banned
Not enough cute anime girls with swords and thousand-year-old lolis.

FTFY, but yeah. Guess people were hoping for more of an awakening anime style. I'm glad it's nothing like that. Tbh I was expecting something a little different when I was reading explanations during the live-chat reveal, but it turned out okay. I think I was just turned off by the 3ds screens but those always look like shit when it's not on a 3ds. It does look better here though, imo.

cluderi

Really can't decide about this, it should be a sure thing for me given it's pedigree but when I see gameplay it just does nothing for me. I'm hoping it's just something I'm not understanding about it, hopefully they'll release a demo and it'll click.

I love Fire Emblem and Advance Wars plus I enjoyed Valkyrie Chronicles and XCOM (and the art style in STEAM doesn't bother me at all)

PensOwl

Banned
I don't get it. People love the saturday morning cartoon look here, so why does everyone hate this?

I'm the guy that turns off the outline in Borderlands and Smash 3DS, so yeah I'm not totally digging the artstyle. Still going to get it because of based IS though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Any American literature characters you want to see?

Also John Appleseed should be here.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Intelligent Systems can't do no wrong, will definitely check this out. Looks a lot better/more interesting than at E3 too.

Gambit

They should turn this into a show.

This was the motto of the Wonderful 101 thread, but you are right, it's approriate here as well.

I imagine it looks fantastic on the 3DS screen, just a little rough on a monitor. As it is, I am looking forward to it.

I don't know what it is that people don't like about the art style- looks super interesting and unique to me!

I really hope it sells well (I already know it's going to be good because of IS).

LINCOLN FOR SMASH 5!!!

flohen95

The artstyle is slowly but surely growing on me. I have yet to find an SRPG that I don't like to at least some extent. Valkyria Chronicles one of my favourite series on PlayStation systems (and PC now, I guess). Intelligent Systems is one of my favourite developers period.

Yeah, that's a day 1 buy for me.

ash_ag

LINCOLN FOR SMASH 5!!!

Well, I'm guessing he'll most likely return after his debut in Smash 4.

m160A5e.png

Firemind

I didn't ask for this...

And 'from the makers of' means jack shit. Intelligent Systems is an internal studio and who knows how many staff members got relocated and shuffled around to different projects over the years. They've been collaborating with R&D for a number of titles since the NES days, so this isn't surprising, but people act like Intelligent Systems are still the same team of staff that worked on Super Metroid, Tetris Attack, Paper Mario, Advance Wars and Fire Emblem. And this is coming from a fan of the studio.

Qurupeke

I still don't like this game at all. The characters, the artstyle, even the gameplay. If there's something that stops me from completely ignoring this game, it's IntSys. Certainly not sold at all though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
can't wait for this game: the camera settings will really push you into characters swapping in order to progress; the limited steam resources will stress the strartegic part of the fights; the "ancient ones" as inspiration for the enemies is simply great.
I like also the music from the trailer

I didn't ask for this...

And 'from the makers of' means jack shit. Intelligent Systems is an internal studio and who knows how many staff members got relocated and shuffled around to different projects over the years. They've been collaborating with R&D for a number of titles since the NES days, so this isn't surprising, but people act like Intelligent Systems are still the same team of staff that worked on Super Metroid, Tetris Attack, Paper Mario, Advance Wars and Fire Emblem. And this is coming from a fan of the studio.

IntSys isn't actually owned by Nintendo (and neither is HAL, incidentally) and they're certainly not internal, although until recently they did share a building with Nintendo SPD. They certainly didn't shuffle around their teams with SPD/EAD in the same way that the internal Nintendo developers do. They even have their own building now.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
FTFY, but yeah. Guess people were hoping for more of an awakening anime style.

I think it's safe to say that most people who play Japanese RPGs/Strategy games like Japanese art.

Though I wouldn't mind the western art if it was actually better.

And it just feels like they are trying too hard to be accessible to a western audience. That didn't work too well for Square when they tried to do it with Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Secret of Evermore (the games weren't horrible, but they certainly weren't as good as their Japanese counterparts).

This art style makes my eyes bleed. Why not another Advanced Wars? I'd much rather have that.

"NINTENDO, WHY DON'T YOU MAKE ANY NEW IPS?!?"

*Nintendo shows off Code Name Steam*

"NINTENDO, WHY DID YOU MAKE A NEW IP INSTEAD OF THE OLD ONE I WANTED?!?"

@MUWANdo

Banned
I didn't ask for this...

The key personnel that have worked on all the recent Fire Emblem/Advance Wars games are pretty consistent and there's a lot of overlap between the two franchises, too, so it's not as hollow a selling point as you're making it out to be.

That being said, the director on the IntSys side is a guy named Paul Patrascu who's apparently been there for close to ten years but whose name I'd never heard until the E3 announcement for this game.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
"NINTENDO, WHY DON'T YOU MAKE ANY NEW IPS?!?"

*Nintendo shows off Code Name Steam*

"NINTENDO, WHY DID YOU MAKE A NEW IP INSTEAD OF THE OLD ONE I WANTED?!?"

Seeing how popular Awakening was, I think it's understandable that gamers want a new Fire Emblem game for the 3DS. Especially when the Wii-U crossover is essentially vaporware at this point.

Seeing how popular Awakening was, I think it's understandable that gamers want a new Fire Emblem game for the 3DS. Especially when the Wii-U crossover is essentially vaporware at this point.

It's not- it's been confirmed for release and has been said to be on track. And what's wrong with giving FE a slight break and giving S.T.E.A.M a chance? It looks to be really well made, and the steam-punk concept is brilliant. Are gamers generally not fond of comic book style?

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
It's not- it's been confirmed for release and has been said to be on track. And what's wrong with giving FE a slight break and giving S.T.E.A.M a chance? It looks to be really well made, and the steam-punk concept is brilliant. Are gamers generally not fond of comic book style?

Hey, I just want another Fire Emblem this generation. If the Wii-U game is still on track, then let 'em do S.T.E.A.M. (it's their creation after all, they can do whatever they want with it).

And I do like western comic book art, I'm just not particularly fond of THIS art. But maybe the gameplay will make up for that.

Jawmuncher

It just looks off if you ask me.
I don't mind a comic book style, but it tries it and yet keeps things too dark.

Lunar15

What if that guy holding the book in the character portraits is HP Lovecraft? I mean, he'd know a lot about the creepy monsters they're fighting.

Top Bottom