• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Nintendo Direct footage

casiopao

Not only it is a new Ip but also a new Srpg by Int System which is famous for their srpg.

If this game sells good, SEGAAAAA u know what to do right?

What? Tiger Lilly looks adorable! My gf saw it and wants to cosplay it if she likes the character in the game.

All characters so far look very sharp, except Flemming who I´m still not really feeling, but all the others look brilliant.

I agree actually, but in my time I've developed a sixth sense when it comes to things like this.

SalvaPot

I agree actually, but in my time I've developed a sixth sense when it comes to things like this.

Oh, well, if there is controversy that is actually a good thing, since more people will look into the game. Just look at how Tomodachi Life gain a lot of free publicity due to the whole controversy surrounding it.

TI82

Banned
Not only it is a new Ip but also a new Srpg by Int System which is famous for their srpg.

If this game sells good, SEGAAAAA u know what to do right?

If they released an actual real shining force game... It would be too much for me to handle.

tumblr_neli0yRlJT1t6jvvlo1_400.gif

tumblr_neli0yRlJT1t6jvvlo4_400.gif

tumblr_neli0yRlJT1t6jvvlo2_400.gif

hatchx

Banned
Looks like a really ugly version of valkria profile. Something about the environments in this game make me feel really claustrophobic, like going back to mid-gen N64 games.

Yes call me a graphics whore, but it will take a lot to get me behind this one. Multiplayer would be a start.

georly

Trailer has renewed my interest in valkyria chronicles. Smash/Bayo are taking up all my time right now, but once i'm done with those, i'll pick up valkyria to get read for this. Wonder if this will be out before or after majora.

Tom_Cody

Based on the time I have sunk into past Advance Wars and Fire Emblem titles, this will very likely be my most played game in 2015.

I can't wait to actually get my hands on this because, as of right now, I can't fully wrap my head around the gameplay systems.

Lunar15

This game looks great. I don't know if I'll ever be sold on the art style 100%, but if the gameplay is what it looks to be, I'm there day one.

Plus the concept is literally: FE/AW team makes an XCOM/Valkyria game that has steampunk Abraham Lincoln leading what is basically the League of Extraordinary Gentleman: America Edition against Lovecraftian monsters.

How can you not be sold on that premise alone?

Axass

Looks better than during the E3 reveal. Maybe they tweaked the art-style a little... or maybe it's just that the crazy expectations created by the live blogging of the private meeting have disappeared.

This game looks great. I don't know if I'll ever be sold on the art style 100%, but if the gameplay is what it looks to be, I'm there day one.

Plus the concept is literally: FE/AW team makes an XCOM/Valkyria game that has steampunk Abraham Lincoln leading what is basically the League of Extraordinary Gentleman: America Edition against Lovecraftian monsters.

I personally think its absolutely insane how unhype people are this.

Lunar15

Those saying this looks better than E3 are kind of nuts considering this is more or less the same trailer they showed at E3. It looked cool then, it looks cool now.

SalvaPot

Good thing is this game is releasing in mostly empty 2015 for the 3DS, if this game gets a month all by itself (with another minor release like, say, a new wario game or the new Ace Attorney) I can see it doing great, specialy if they release a trailer with the quality of Fire Emblem Awakening, that trailer was hype.

Tuck

Still unsure of the game, but its from Intelligent Systems and the 3DS has basically nothing next year, so I'll likely give it a try.

RM8

Still unsure of the game, but its from Intelligent Systems and the 3DS has basically nothing next year, so I'll likely give it a try.
I actually hope 3DS' slow lineup makes this game perform a bit better. I hadn't considered it!

Valkyria Chronicles made by people who know how to design strategy games? Sounds good, there's a chance for this do to the premise justice.

I bought Valkyria because it was in Fire Emblem's genre and made by the Skies of Arcadia team. I'll by this because it's the same type of game as the game made in Fire Emblem's genre and by the Skies of Arcadia team, only made by the Fire Emblem team.

Looks great, though I wish it was on something with a little more horsepower than the 3DS. They've got a great style going, it'd be interesting to see what it'd look like with more technical "oomph."

Sheroking

Those saying this looks better than E3 are kind of nuts considering this is more or less the same trailer they showed at E3. It looked cool then, it looks cool now.

Everybody hated the screenshots and most went "wow, it actually looks good in motion" when we got the trailer the next day. The people saying it looks better now probably didn't watch the trailers then, because it looks exactly the same visually.

This art style makes my eyes bleed. Why not another Advanced Wars? I'd much rather have that.

Because the last Advance Wars was a huge failure on the most successful Nintendo platform of all time?

It's dead, Jim.

stupei

I'll be honest, I did flinch a little when I saw her. Maybe she'll be fine? There's African-American and Mexican characters in the game, too, so she won't exactly be a token ethnic inclusion exactly.

I had essentially the same reaction. Moment of concern -- mostly because I am REALLY hyped for this game and don't want to be turned off by anything unintentionally gross while playing, that'd suck -- but the fact that she doesn't seem just token (and the ridiculous Tom Sawyer insanity) leaves me optimistic. It seems well intentioned, if nothing else. Treehouse is handling the localization, I assume?

But does the Lion give anyone else Jeanne d'Arc vibes?

the action point system is very 90s computer rpg (which is a good thing). IS isn't afraid to make challenging games so this might actually be hard even though the art style and what they showed looks like a low challenge srpg.

It looks a lot more interesting than I remember from E3 for me as well (maybe I didn't watch the trailer). Still only looks slightly interesting to me though.

I completely missed it at first, but Henry Fleming is the protagonist of Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage. The inclusion of literary and historical figures makes me much more interested, even if they are not likely to resemble their inspiration much.

UberTag

Looks fine. I just can't help but feel that we'd all be more enthused about it if Intelligent Systems was working on some Valkyria Chronicles / Fire Emblem / Advance Wars / Shining Force title instead.

I can already tell this game is going to play amazing and yet I'm not a fan of the art design, the aesthetic, the plot, the all-American gimmicks. It's just ugly.
And I'm not sure I can get behind playing Lincoln in a game unless it's a Clone High adaptation written by Phil Lord and Chris Miller.

redcrayon

Calling it now, Tiger Lilly is going to ruffle a few feathers. I take it she's supposed to be native American? Tumblr's gonna hate that shit.

Looks like a giant, compressed wad of what the Japanese perceive as Western culture. Looks goofy as hell but I'm definitely intrigued by the VC and XCOM comparisons alone.
Looks like more of a parody of US rather than 'western' culture to me.

Featuring Tiger Lily, Able Lincoln and Tom Sawyer. o_O

So the known playable characters are:

Henry Fleming (The Red Badge of Courage)
Lion (The Wizard of Oz)
Tiger Lily (Peter Pan)
Tom Sawyer

A steampunk world starring characters from classic literature - this is League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

K-A-Deman

I'm absolutely okay with using fictional and historical figures as a covert team dedicated to fighting aliens in steampunk 1800s. Looks like a blast.

So the known playable characters are:

Henry Fleming (The Red Badge of Courage)
Lion (The Wizard of Oz)
Tiger Lily (Peter Pan)
Tom Sawyer

A steampunk world starring characters from classic literature - this is League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

There's also a Mexican woman, but I haven't seen her name anywhere.

spiritfox

I nope we get a Captain Nemo with a Nautilus summon or something. In fact, most Jules Verne characters will fit comfortably in the theme.

Then again, they might just be sticking to American inspirations.

Top Bottom