• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Nintendo Direct footage

Ophelion

I wonder if any of this game came out of all those wacky possible ideas int sys were kicking around when brainstorming for Awakening...like the modern day fire emblem or fire emblem on mars...

Lunar15

And people wonder why I don't like the fandom of Golden Sun and Advance Wars.

But I'm a fan of Golden Sun and Advance Wars! D:

Fandoms of anything are going to be weird. That's why people have such a hard time releasing new IP, especially established teams. Everyone just wants the old stuff and will constantly compare it with that. We all do it, to a slight degree.

And actually, I've been pretty happy with the responses in this thread. It's largely optimistic.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But I'm a fan of Golden Sun and Advance Wars! D:

Fandoms of anything are going to be weird. That's why people have such a hard time releasing new IP, especially established teams. Everyone just wants the old stuff and will constantly compare it with that. We all do it, to a slight degree.

And actually, I've been pretty happy with the responses in this thread. It's largely optimistic.

Just a few outliers I guess.

I still like you O:

To people worried about the US/British relationship portrayed in the game, here's what they had to say at the E3 developer roundtable:

(from a live blog on that banned Nintendo site) "- answer to a question about the game being in London and still involving Abraham Lincoln: "The setting being what it is, the middle 19th century, it is still fantasy" At the time the British empire was the biggest on earth, so London makes sense as a starting point. You will eventually go to the U.S."

My guess is that they're upping the stakes in the beginning of the game by showing the defeat of the greatest empire of the time at the hands (or tentacles) of those aliens. The STEAM guys happen to be there because they knew something was coming.

And I'd wager the US (in comparison to the British empire) is supposed to be shown as kind of an underdog fighting an impossible battle for humanity's survival.

I'm hoping the queen will turn out to be a secret unlockable character lol.

Aleister Crowley should make a cameo as the hedonist consultant with theories (or hocus-pocus) about the aliens' identity. He'd be good comic relief and foil to Lincoln.

E92 M3

All this game does is remind me how Advance Wars was looked over. Hurts my heart a lot.

Unfortunately, I don't like the aesthetics and mechanics behind this game.

TheMoon

Not enough cute anime girls with swords and hundred-year-old lolis.

That's what I keep thinking. I'd love to know how many if the "I hate/dislike this art!" people just prefer the common anime/traditional Japanese style?

I love it as it is. Just because no other game out there looks like it. The only thing that comes close is Freedom Force and that is a decade old.

Don't think I could be more hyped for this game.

Effect

Any American literature characters you want to see?

Also John Appleseed should be here.

I'm surprised they went this route with the characters. Not a bad choice but surprising.

The game looks significantly better compared to what was shown at E3. Will likely be picking it up but this just reminds me I need to finish Fire Emblem Awakening.

KooopaKid

Banned
I don't like fighting generic aliens, come on Nintendo you can do better than that! You're not, I don't know, Insomniac or something. Oops sorry.

Tom_Cody

fuck a double post but:

GameXplain also posted 2 direct-feed gameplay clips (about 10 minutes each). Gives a better idea of the flow of the game, although you can kinda tell they're still figuring it out as they play.

Buckingham Palace Mission: http://youtu.be/0lAKRpF26y0
London Factory Mission: http://youtu.be/OyouHuW9Q3Y
Thanks for this. Now I have a much better idea of how the gameplay functions. The gameplay explanation video does an infinity better job of explaining what the game is than all of Nintendo's E3 coverage of the title combined.

Garraboa

Bl1UQEr.png

Day 0 for me, since 2015 is pretty barren for 3DS as it is

Wonder if they still have Dragon Hopper hidden somewhere in their office? :3

L~A

Screenshots from the official teaser site.

screenshot-01.png
screenshot-02.png

screenshot-03.png
screenshot-04.png

screenshot-05.png
screenshot-06.png

screenshot-07.png
screenshot-08.png

screenshot-09.png
screenshot-10.png

screenshot-11.png
screenshot-12.png

screenshot-13.png

Didn't see them posted any where the other day as part of the press pack materials.

The site also lists this for 1-2 players, which I don't think had been confirmed before.

Those screeenshots are actually from the press pack, no idea why they weren't posted on GAF (just like the Captain Toad pics, for some reason).

And the 2 player thing is probably for the VS Mode they mentionned during the round-table at E3. They didn't tell what it'd be like, though.

Just watched the Buckingham Palace mission video, anyone else getting serious Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines vibes from the music? So good. I mean pretty much all the tracks I heard are a tad similar similar in style but the bit that hit me was the 'peaceful alien movement' theme, particularly when it starts going into the guitar riff at 2:27 of the video. It gets cut off too early, dang it :(

Escalario

Banned
They're a fully-owned subsidiary,arent' they?.And have been for basically their entire existence? They are as much Nintendo as EAD is.

Nope. Nintendo doesn't own them in the slightest. Just like GameFreak, they can start making their own games for other consoles whenever they want.

TheMoon

I sometimes wonder why don't they do games for other consoles.

Because why would they? Even though Nintendo doesn't own them, they basically are Nintendo. Nintendo keeps them busy, let's them do whatever wacky stuff they want and they are basically inseparable.

I sometimes wonder why don't they do games for other consoles.

Because they would need a different publisher for that and Nintendo has been their sugar-daddy for almost 30 years (IntySys) and almost 20 years (GameFreak).... or saved the entire studio once (Hal) .

You don´t risk such a fantastic and deep business relationship for...marginal gains at best..

Zero²

or saved the entire studio once (Hal) .
In HAL's case, WARPSTAR INC. owns 50% of the shares, and WARPSTAR INC. is owned by HAL (50%) and Nintendo (50%). So basically Nintendo owns HAL? Or its pretty close to it.

Nintendo is pretty nebulous with this kinda of stuff, I guess its on purpose, with this Equity method that was used on WARPSTAR and all...
But I'm not the most knowledgeable person to talk about this, just spreading the facts as I have searched for them on the net. And it wasnt easy to find all this xD

Nintendo owns 33% of GameFreak's shares if i remember correctly. GameFreak actually did made some games of their own for the 3DS eShop that Nintendo didn't had anything to do with.

I'm personally not sure on shares of the company, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo does directly own 1/3 of the rights to Pokemon as a franchise. And yeah, Game Freak self-published Soltiba by themselves on the eShop (and on the app store now, too, I believe).

With these companies, like IntSys and Game Freak, they've worked out an arrangement that clearly works for them that doesn't involve a 100% ownership. Places like Good-Feel, Next Level, Alpha Dream, and a few others are also now in a place where almost all of their output is for Nintendo, too.

Top Bottom