• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coke Zero Is Dead. Long Live 'Coca-Cola No Sugar'

DopeToast

Banned
Good Coke zero was utter trash and tasted nothing like Coke.

If you're going to drink soda you might as well drink the original. Coke zero/diet tastes like crap. All diet sodas do.

This mindset I've never really understood. I don't drink Diet Coke to approximate the taste of Coke. I drink Diet Coke because I like it completely apart from Coke. It taste nothing like Coke, and I don't want it to.

andycapps

Pepsi Max is so superior to Coke Zero it's not even funny

So this doesn't bother me
If it has Pepsi anywhere in the name it's disgusting.

Doesn't matter much to me. Sounds more like a rebranding of Coke Zero. Zero was always the Coca-Cola formula while Diet Coke is based off New Coke, so I would imagine I'll like this under it's new name and possibly tweaked formula.

CryptiK

This mindset I've never really understood. I don't drink Diet Coke to approximate the taste of Coke. I drink Diet Coke because I like it completely apart from Coke. It taste nothing like Coke, and I don't want it to.
The whole point of Coke Zero was to release a No Sugar Coke that tasted like Coke. It didnt achieve that. The whole advertisement campaign for Zero was Its Coke but without sugar.

Kurdel

Banned
Still can't believe this is real life

f80.jpg

I love diet Coke and classic. I'm intrigued about this new thing.

Diet Coke does taste different from the original, and it's been around for 40 years. I'm sure that if they were able to make it taste identical to Coke classic at the time, they would have (life without diet Coke!). That food sciences have advanced to the point where they can do this is exciting and fascinating to me. Hope they make a caffeine free version.

Sorry to all you misguided zero lovers, but i guess keeping zero would have been too confusing for consumers.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
What the fuck?

So does this mean no more Cherry Coke Zero?

YES ! Kill a perfectly working and profitable product !!

:GENIUS:
I love coke-zero. Esp the cherry coke-zero and such. Damn.. :(

Are people reading something different from the article?

We've already had the change in the UK,it really isn't all that different to the existing product, It's essentially just a name change. There is also still Vanilla and Cherry Zero Sugar with the new branding.

DOWN

Banned
The article is misleading. Whether they had kept the rebranding or not, the taste is almost identical to before and would have come to existing Coke Zero anyway. Nobody should be making any big deal about taste change. It's akin to when Twinkies say "Even better recipe!" on the box but most people have no clue and take no notice. Coke just decided some countries need new branding. It's essentially the same product.

CryptiK

The article is misleading. Whether they had kept the rebranding or not, the taste is almost identical to before and would have come to existing Coke Zero anyway. Nobody should be making any big deal about taste change. It's akin to when Twinkies say "Even better recipe!" on the box but most people have no clue and take no notice. Coke just decided some countries need new branding. It's essentially the same product.
This is using Apastame unlike Coke Zero. So I guess people may not like that.

Are people reading something different from the article?

We've already had the change in the UK,it really isn't all that different to the existing product, It's essentially just a name change. There is also still Vanilla and Cherry Zero Sugar with the new branding.

The UK one doesnt have Apastame does it?
EDIT: Yeah it does Zero Sugar is No Sugar.

DOWN

Banned
This is using Apastame unlike Coke Zero. So I guess people may not like that.

The UK one doesnt have Apastame does it? I'm pretty sure its still different.
Coke Zero does have aspartame. Where in the world does it not have aspartame?
P2260782.jpg

zou

What is it with Coke and Pepsi all killing/changing their brands?

Diet Pepsi was my choice until they changed the sweetener and now it tastes like crap. Diet Coke was always disgusting, but at least Coke Zero was tolerable.

wvnative

Diet Pepsi was my choice until they changed the sweetener and now it tastes like crap. Diet Coke was always disgusting, but at least Coke Zero was tolerable.

I dunno but Soda companies are the worst for this.

Back in 2003, my favorite drink of all time was pepsi vanilla, followed by pepsi twist. Needless to say, those didn't last long. Then in 2011, Pepsi trolled with the super bowl and brought back the pepsi twist... for two fucking weeks...

Then in 2014 they brought out the pepsi with real sugar line, which included pepsi vanilla with real sugar, it's pretty good, but they don't sell it consistently in my area. Have to go the next state over to get some. But even it, imo isn't as good as that 2003 pepsi vanilla formula.

Fuck these soda companies.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Lame. Along with Diet Dr Pepper that was the only soda I still occasionally drink. Oh well good time to cut soda out for good.

jstripes

Banned
I dunno but Soda companies are the worst for this.

Back in 2003, my favorite drink of all time was pepsi vanilla, followed by pepsi twist. Needless to say, those didn't last long. Then in 2011, Pepsi trolled with the super bowl and brought back the pepsi twist... for two fucking weeks...

Then in 2014 they brought out the pepsi with real sugar line, which included pepsi vanilla with real sugar, it's pretty good, but they don't sell it consistently in my area. Have to go the next state over to get some. But even it, imo isn't as good as that 2003 pepsi vanilla formula.

Fuck these soda companies.

They brought back Pepsi Throwback in Canada this year for Canada's 150th birthday, of all things.

antibolo

Banned
I don't understand. Aren't they the same goddamn thing but with different branding??

Also Isn't Diet Coke also the same thing?

Can someone explain to me why this is a big deal?

What the hell. How does this affect Cherry Coke Zero? That drink is beloved at my work and always sells out in the vending machine (and it still sells out after getting a second button)

steveovig

I believe all the diet Pepsi flavors no longer contain Aspartame, btw.

Anyone know if this stuff just covers Coke Zero or all the Zero brands? Sprite Zero, Coke Cherry Zero, and Mello Yello Zero are the bomb. I'm not a huge fan of Pepsi Max though but I do drink it sometimes.

DOWN

Banned

I believe all the diet Pepsi flavors no longer contain Aspartame, btw.

Anyone know if this stuff just covers Coke Zero or all the Zero brands? Sprite Zero, Coke Cherry Zero, and Mello Yello Zero are the bomb. I'm not a huge fan of Pepsi Max though but I do drink it sometimes.
Incorrect. Pepsi sells both a new Sucralose Diet Pepsi and they still sell the original Diet Pepsi with aspartame. Both are available simultaneously. Sucralose has a silver branding and packaging like Diet Coke, while the original aspartame version has light blue packaging and a retro Pepsi font.

old

Still uses aspartame. Nope.

First invent an artificial sweetener that doesn't have a metallic aftertaste.

The Lamp

If it has Pepsi anywhere in the name it's disgusting.

Doesn't matter much to me. Sounds more like a rebranding of Coke Zero. Zero was always the Coca-Cola formula while Diet Coke is based off New Coke, so I would imagine I'll like this under it's new name and possibly tweaked formula.

Pepsi Max doesn't taste much like any of the other diet colas.

New002

Pepsi Max doesn't taste much like any of the other diet colas.

Pepsi Max is fantastic. I put it above regular coke zero, but put Cherry Coke zero above both because of the cherry flavor. If Pepsi Max cherry were available in my market I imagine it would take the top spot for me.

Top Bottom