• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Eight: Swagless Kelly Slides into your DM's

Texas season in a gif

texas-fan-f-bomb_medium_medium.gif

jfkgoblue

I'd guess you have a 20-30% chance of winning out at this tpoint.

Just gotta look out for Mike Leach and his band of Pirates at the end.

SC might be a little tricky too if they keep rolling.
I keep wondering why Washington has a lower win out chance than both Michigan and Ohio State(and they play each other!)... Then I remember #Pac12AfterDark

andycapps

The podcast is already up. New PC makes editing much quicker. Info on subscribing is in the OP. Tune in next week for a special guest!

This week we talk about Ohio State surviving Camp Randall, Alabama boat racing Tennessee, etc.

Game of the Week - Texas A&M @ Alabama

Turd of the Week - Michigan State and Maryland

We discuss Westworld, Andy's non-toaster PC, Atlanta, Big Papa Goooo, and Mike still sucking at Madden.

Questions/Topics for tonights podcast recording?

Will firing his crappy assistants save Jim Mora's job at UCLA or is he already toast?

Why can't Pac-12 teams keep their QBs healthy?

Is Oregon's swoon a 1 year aberration or the start of their return to normalcy? Is the real reason for it that the rest of the landscape figured out the Hurry up No Huddle and Helfrich is in over his head or is it something more sinister?

Which desperate second tier school will hire Les Miles and be disappointed?

Same question but Lane Kiffin instead.

Jabrill Peppers, Heisman Candidate or recruiting site hype monster?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Will firing his crappy assistants save Jim Mora's job at UCLA or is he already toast?

Why can't Pac-12 teams keep their QBs healthy?

Is Oregon's swoon a 1 year aberration or the start of their return to normalcy? Is the real reason for it that the rest of the landscape figured out the Hurry up No Huddle and Helfrich is in over his head or is it something more sinister?

Which desperate second tier school will hire Les Miles and be disappointed?

Same question but Lane Kiffin instead.

Jabrill Peppers, Heisman Candidate or recruiting site hype monster?

Will you be the special guest guest?

Kevtones

$500 million of Nike Money donated to help Oregon's science program. Uncle Phil definitely weighing in on the coaching situation...

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
BYU over Boise St by 6, in my opinion. I will be out all night at the arcade, so will probably miss the game, but am posting it here for posterity.

I really hope the new NX doesn't suck. I'm way more hyped for that reveal in the morning than I am for whoever Texas plays on Saturday. KSU I think?.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Does BYU have one of the hardest schedule so far this year?

So far, its gotta be around there

Arizona, Utah, UCLA, Michigan St, Toledo, West Virginia, and Mississippi St.

Pac-12, B1G, and SEC victories. Not too shabby. Would love to see them get one on Boise St, which could put them ranked, unless a bunch more 3-loss SEC teams (or future 4-loss) get in instead, lol.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
SI.com

Report: Average Texas football player worth more than $670,000 per year

If college players were compensated in a manner similar to NFL players, Texas football players would receive the most money, according to a study completed by Business Insider.

Estimates for each player were compiled by using data from the Department of Education. In the NFL, players get 47% of all revenue and for this study, each school's football revenue was split between the school and the athletes. With 85 scholarship players on the roster, the players' shares were divided evenly among them.

This year's total estimate for Texas is higher than last year's $622,104. This year, Texas is more than $130,000 ahead of Alabama's $536,485 average value per player.

Wtf, I don't even understand these numbers

These are conference records, not overall records. The projections say that Colorado is going to go 4-1 against a slate of Arizona, Stanford, UCLA, Utah and Wazzu while USC is going to go 2-2 vs Cal, Oregon, UW and UCLA.

Not knowing how the system works it is hard to agree with those projections fully.

Here's the projections for this weeks games: http://www.bcftoys.com/2016-game-projections/

So far, its gotta be around there

Arizona, Utah, UCLA, Michigan St, Toledo, West Virginia, and Mississippi St.

Pac-12, B1G, and SEC victories. Not too shabby. Would love to see them get one on Boise St, which could put them ranked, unless a bunch more 3-loss SEC teams (or future 4-loss) get in instead, lol.
They can easily be 6-0. But all those losses by less than 7 are brutal.

cdyhybrid

These are conference records, not overall records. The projections say that Colorado is going to go 4-1 against a slate of Arizona, Stanford, UCLA, Utah and Wazzu while USC is going to go 2-2 vs Cal, Oregon, UW and UCLA.

Not knowing how the system works it is hard to agree with those projections fully.

Here's the projections for this weeks games: http://www.bcftoys.com/2016-game-projections/
Yeah, seeing their remaining games listed out it's hard to agree. I'd say the Buffs beat Zona and UCLA and the other three are toss-ups.

USC I'd say 3-1. Cal might be tough if it's up there but USC could win that game and it wouldn't shock me.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I keep wondering why Washington has a lower win out chance than both Michigan and Ohio State(and they play each other!)... Then I remember #Pac12AfterDark

kinda, it's really just the schedule too and the 95+% win chances that Michigan has in almost every game. Illinois, MSU, Maryland, and Indiana should be easy wins for Michigan (Indiana surprises me at 97.7% chance of FPI, that defense is pretty good). Iowa is nearly 90%.

I mean, Michigan under FPI right now is currently like probably mid 80% chance of being unbeaten when they get to the tOSU game

Ohio State doesn't have quite as high numbers, more 95%, with an 84% game at PSU and 89% game vs Nebraska.

Both of those schools are highly favored to be unbeaten when they play, but only one of them will win and that game is a coin toss right now.

Meanwhile, Washington isn't as heavily favored in several games (WSU=70%, USC=79%... it's only real slam dunks are ASU=93% and Oregon Lite = 98%) - but it also doesn't have a 50/50 game left.

So more possibly "surprise" games where that Pac12AfterDark affect could happen. But also toss up clash of the titan game left either.

kinda, it's really just the schedule too and the 95+% win chances that Michigan has in almost every game. Illinois, MSU, Maryland, and Indiana should be easy wins for Michigan (Indiana surprises me at 97.7% chance of FPI, that defense is pretty good). Iowa is nearly 90%.

I mean, Michigan under FPI right now is currently like probably mid 80% chance of being unbeaten when they get to the tOSU game

Ohio State doesn't have quite as high numbers, more 95%, with an 84% game at PSU and 89% game vs Nebraska.

Both of those schools are highly favored to be unbeaten when they play, but only one of them will win and that game is a coin toss right now.

Meanwhile, Washington isn't as heavily favored in several games (WSU=70%, USC=79%... it's only real slam dunks are ASU=93% and Oregon Lite = 98%) - but it also doesn't have a 50/50 game left.

So more possibly "surprise" games where that Pac12AfterDark affect could happen. But also toss up clash of the titan game left either.

NO FPI QUOTING ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Someone needs to make a consensus fact sheet of which Football Metric System is the less shitty one, that way we can ignore it like real Americans.. Imperial > Metric Bitches

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
NO FPI QUOTING ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD.

I don't believe in FPI in general, though the win percentages per game and then cumulative win out chances aren't too far off

I wish Vegas had moneylines for games several weeks out even if just for informational purposes as their algorithms are the ones that are really good.

I just realized that Eastern has a higher chance of making a bowl game this season than State does. Makes me both sad and happy at the same time.

Vanillalite

I wonder how much ESPN hates that Miami and VT have choked as of late.

Just 2 weeks ago they probably thought they had a huge Thursday night marquee matchup. LoL

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I dunno. I'm fond of Maryland being a bunch of assholes to Penn State to make themselves hated by PSU's fanbase.

They excel at that tho. HEY WE MATTER!!!!!! AND FUCK YOU *throws battery at player*

So Duke takes on mighty Bye State University this weekend, they are expected to pull out a close one despite WR#1 and the punter for the season.

Blue skies ahead.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Sometimes I'm reminded that Duke is still sort of new to this era of modern football. I mean they try and sometime you get the awesome old school devil helmet they wore in the Pinstripe Bowl

And other times you get this

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!

Could Chip Kelly go back to Oregon? Is that possible? He belongs there.

What good would that do? He wasn't an exceptional recruiter and he's become an incredibly uncreative and predictable play caller in the NFL. Chip the innovator

Also Oregon's problem is their defense, not their offense. And their defense was rarely good with Chip at the helm.

cdyhybrid

Oregon's problem (aside from the fact that they bought success instead of building it, which means they don't understand how to maintain it) is that they don't really do anything special anymore.

Lots of teams run hurry-up spread offenses.
Lots of teams have 1000000 uniform combos.
Lots of teams have lavish facilities.

Vanillalite

Oregon's problem (aside from the fact that they bought success instead of building it, which means they don't understand how to maintain it) is that they don't really do anything special anymore.

Lots of teams run hurry-up spread offenses.
Lots of teams have 1000000 uniform combos.
Lots of teams have lavish facilities.

This!

Oregon was special with the offense and Nike stuff. Now everyone runs spread or hurry up. Everyone has Nike or UA unis. Everyone has fancy new facilities even without Nike money.

Yet Oregon lacks any built in advantages. They aren't USC, UCLA, Washington, or Stanford.

That being said they can have some great years with the way recruiting can be a roll of the dice. Oregon fans need to understand what they had those few years being a national power and champ contender. That won't be easily replicated anytime soon.

Top Bottom