• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS February |OT| of Curious (Black) Creators & Curious (Black) Characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidDork

Finally sat down and read my backlog of Buffy Season Nine. Thankfully they've got away from the bullshit of Slayer armies, giant Dawns striding through Tokyo, and the whole Twilight business. Scaling back the stories has helped this series immensely.

I also took a chance and checked out Angel and Faith. I actually enjoyed this more than BTVS, but it's Christos Gage writing it, so why am I surprised?

Since the first issue, as far as I'm concerned

and not so much shitty, as just "incredibly mediocre", which is probably even worse

MC Safety

Wait since when is The Defenders a shitty comic?

The Defenders have had a bad run of things for a while.

I liked the idea of Dr. Druid running Secret Defenders, but the series wasn't very good.

Kurt Busiek and Erik Larsen had a run on Defenders that was okay, but the series was canceled after 12 (I think) issues.

Some dullard editor brought JM DeMatteis and Keith Giffen (plus Kevin Maguire) to do their comedy shtick on the Defenders.

I've lost track of the other Defenders reboots. I assume this new one is more of the same.

Some dullard editor brought JM DeMatteis and Keith Giffen (plus Kevin Maguire) to do their comedy shtick on the Defenders.

FindingNemo.jpg

Since the first issue, as far as I'm concerned

and not so much shitty, as just "incredibly mediocre", which is probably even worse

Fraction is the K-Mart Giffen/DeMattias. For that matter you could say Dodson is both a K-Mart Hughes and Maguire. :\

Larsen's run on Defenders was a lot of fun.

Scifi plugs for Metabarons, The Incal, and more:

61c4HQBODAL._SS500_.jpg

51JtPRVE7eL._SS500_.jpg

27501688726.1.GIF

75402217643.1.GIF

How awesome would a Tiny Titans Omnibus / Absolute Edition be?!

I am currently reading superman secret origin. It's surprisingly not bad although I have to wonder what the point of it was if they were just going to reboot superman 2 months after this finished

Oh hey, dat Tonci Zonji drawn issue. Thank God Aja came back for the ass-kicking finale issues.

Also, "My boyfriend and his secret army are gonna kill you now, Xao" is totally a Fraction line

bronson

Fraction is the K-Mart Giffen/DeMattias.
This sort of boggles my mind. What about Fraction's Defenders screams "wannabe Giffen" to you? I can understand a lot of criticisms leveled at the book -- say, you don't like the characterizations or the cutesy self-awareness -- but Giffen/DeMattias it ain't.

Garryk

Just read the first four issues of WatXM and was pleasantly surprised. #3 might be the best comic I have read in awhile as far as laughs go.

Kade Kilgore:
I'm being sued by Wolverine? This is ridiculous!!!

Also, Beast is amazing.
I built a school on top of Krakoa? I'm never going to live this down.

The Bachalo art grew on me and I found myself missing it in the new arc. Will he be back in the future?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
You actually missed Bachalo after reading Bradshaw's issue? I can't even compute this in my mind.

Its a good time for it to end, IMO. Plus, Waid has got to make room to take over the Avengers. He DID say he has some more Marvel work coming down the pipeline.

#daretodream

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The only thing to compute is why Liquid hasn't collected the early work of Michael Golden and the current work of Arthur Adams before moving on to a fourth generation shitty copy.

Who? What? Sorry I've only been reading comics for like half a year. I wasn't aware I needed to take a history course in order to join the club.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Due to being curious about the Kevin Keller stuff I've kinda recently realized that I like Archie comics! What's the best current stuff and what's the essential classics?

You are in luck. The debut issue of the new Kevin Keller ongoing hits Wednesday. The Archie community is buzzing. There's also a Kevin Keller hardcover releasing at the end of Feb.

To be honest, the various titles are pretty formulaic. I would just buy the books featuring characters you like best. For classic stuff, check out the Best of Dan DeCarlo collections. I also do backward collecting, where I buy stuff being published 10, 15, or 20 years ago each month along with the new books. For example, this month I'm trying to track down the Archie books on the shelves in February of 1982 and February of 1977.

LiQuid!

Would it be better were he derivative of bad artists?

Isak_Borg

Just read the first four issues of WatXM and was pleasantly surprised. #3 might be the best comic I have read in awhile as far as laughs go.

Kade Kilgore:
I'm being sued by Wolverine? This is ridiculous!!!

Also, Beast is amazing.
I built a school on top of Krakoa? I'm never going to live this down.

The Bachalo art grew on me and I found myself missing it in the new arc. Will he be back in the future?

I read issue #5 on Saturday and the series keeps getting better and better, one of the best books on the market at the moment.

Mifune

Mehmber
Oh god, The Metabarons and The Incal are so great. Sadly I never finished either. Gotta track down some collections.

Just started reading this:

13286_400x600.jpg

It's glorious.

Who? What? Sorry I've only been reading comics for like half a year. I wasn't aware I needed to take a history course in order to join the club.

Like movies, and any other entertainment medium that has existed for decades - there are guys who were doing this before you got into it and doing it better. Shut your GAFhole and go buy these:

61xpztwkhuL._SS500_.jpg

51WPJYXXWXL._SS500_.jpg

25914049978.55.GIF

Extra Credit for picking up Longshot.

You can thank me afterward.

Bachalo cut his style from whole cloth as far as I can tell and I've been following him since Shade the Changing Man. He had a truly unique style in the 90's and it's only evolved over time.

Bradshaw may pull a Sienkiewicz / Madoodoorrhea and stop blatantly swiping from his heroes at some point; but until he does I've got no use for his tracer ass.

Is anyone else bummed that Incorruptible and Irredeemable are ending soon? I've quite liked both of them.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/mark-waid-irredeemable-end-120203.html

I just got into both titles. With these and Daredevil, it's obvious Waid still has it. If this leads to Avengers (which I hate Bendis writing, especially with his overly juvenile dialogue), then it's fine. Both titles seem to be reaching their climax.

Out of the two, Incorruptible seems like it still has some legs what with Max questionable morales, whereas Irredeemable seems to becoming full circle.

kmfdmpig

I just got into both titles. With these and Daredevil, it's obvious Waid still has it. If this leads to Avengers (which I hate Bendis writing, especially with his overly juvenile dialogue), then it's fine. Both titles seem to be reaching their climax.

Out of the two, Incorruptible seems like it still has some legs what with Max questionable morales, whereas Irredeemable seems to becoming full circle.

Yeah. I agree that Incorruptible seems like it could be the more sustainable title.

Waid is doing really good work now, as you mentioned. Reading these reminds me of how much I liked Kingdom Come too.

Dead

well not really...yet
For pure Bachalo gone hogwild, check out Steampunk.

Dude takes his art to such an extreme, it's almost a puzzle within itself to read the actual pages. And I say this as a compliment as it was damn enjoyable to piece together everything on those pages, just so insanely chock-full of detail. That stuff needs to be re-released in trade sometime.

LiQuid!

Different strokes and all that. Bachalo might be more original but I can't stomach looking at his art. Him and Humberto Ramos. Every time I see their names on a book I'm looking forward to I kind of deflate a little bit.

Man, this is intense. After being a lurker for a couple of years, I finally gathered my courage and applied for membership. I suppose now is the time that I get rid of my posting virginity and start to contribute to the conversation that usually gets most of my attention here - so without further ado, here goes:

Hey, guys. Pleasure to meet each and every one of you comic-aficionados :)

Now then, on the topic: I've seen that Mark Waid's current run on Daredevil has gathered almost universal praise. Unfortunately my knowledge of Matt Murdock's bardo-life is limited to Frank Miller's Born Again-saga so I'm kind of a newbie. Is this new stuff newb-friendly?

Man, this is intense. After being a lurker for a couple of years, I finally gathered my courage and applied for membership. I suppose now is the time that I get rid of my posting virginity and start to contribute to the conversation that usually gets most of my attention here - so without further ado, here goes:

Now then, on the topic: I've seen that Mark Waid's current run on Daredevil has gathered almost universal praise. Unfortunately my knowledge of Matt Murdock's bardo-life is limited to Frank Miller's Born Again-saga so I'm kind of a newbie. Is this new stuff newb-friendly?

I belive so but I would read the previous series that featured impressive runs by Kevin Smith, Brian Bendis, and Ed Brubaker.

Satch

Banned

brick-and-mortar or digital?
marvel or dc?
steve trevor or batman?
quitely: good or bad?
barry allen or wally west?
donna troy or cassie sandsmark?
pants or no pants?

rob liefeld or greg land?

yes daredevil is noob friendly

kmfdmpig

Yeah. It wouldn't be a problem to start with the current series. I haven't reach much Daredevil in the last 20 years although I enjoyed it in the late 80s. I have liked the current run quite a bit though and have not had any moments where confusion was a problem.

Splatt

Waid's run on DD is very newb friendly.

The previous run by Smith, Bendis, Brubaker and Andy Diggle is very different in tone, but if you have money & time I'd reccomend getting atleast all of the Bendis's issues.

LiQuid!

Greets. Waid's Daredevil is the first (and so far only) Daredevil book I've read. It's extremely newb friendly. Jump the hell in. First hardcover just came out.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Better than pig-vomit Gambit fans! >:|

I will cut you with my lucky razor blades.

I won't stand for these Longshot insults, even if that means siding with TTOB's oblivious elitism

I won't have it

both of you have obviously been blinded by his shitty fashion sense

brick-and-mortar or digital?
marvel or dc?
steve trevor or batman?
quitely: good or bad?
barry allen or wally west?
donna troy or cassie sandsmark?
pants or no pants?

rob liefeld or greg land?

yes daredevil is noob friendly

why is that question even in there? donna who?

and you forgot a millar/loeb question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom