• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS February |OT| of Curious (Black) Creators & Curious (Black) Characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012-02-03_145152_SewerTones.jpg

Say what you will about him personally, but he can still draw when he wants too. Too bad he burned all his bridges :(.

Shit looks terrible compared to his 80's & early 90's work.
UncannyXMen132JohnByrneWolverine_0.jpg

Sad to see an artist skills deteriorate over the years instead of getting better.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Went to the comic book store earlier today and got my haul for the week. Pretty light week for me, just got Swamp Thing, Amazing Spider-Man, and Winter Soldier.

But hot damn. These comics were all stellar. ST is one of those concepts that I never would have thought could be interesting, but the way it's written and drawn is fantastic, page-turning, seat-of-your-pants stuff. ASM was just a fun romp with Spider Man and an interesting story. But Winter Soldier is fantastic - the art in this book is downright gorgeous. The story is OK so far, nothing mind blowing, but the art is just amazing. Can't wait for more of this book.

BTW I'm starting to appreciate colorists more than the artists. Yes it's important for the artist to be good, but I feel like the colorist is really the person who gives a book its character. Winter Soldier with any other colorist would have seemed bland and boring. But the windswept watercolor look of the pages is really what makes the book what it is. Good stuff.

I'm glad Ivan Reis is making Aquaman a top seller and getting paid. Dat talent!

I think Marvel's history is one of its defining elements. I just don't believe they're gonna throw all that away for a short-term sales boost. Their numbers are still pretty competitive just doing what they always do. There's a bunch of rumors about a reboot after Avengers vs X-men, or a reboot/death of Spider-man after ASM #700, which I don't want to happen, either.

In the mean time, Spider-Man has decided to become the Red Hood

1328205051.jpg

1328290338.jpg

Stefano Caselli is the Lebron James of comics.

I was super hyped when I found his work on G.I.Joe, then Marvel poached him; and didn't put him on any good books. Now he gets his chance at Spiderman and it's full of the shittiest re-designs this side of 90's Bat books.

What the fuck is wrong with Doc Ock?

Where the fuck is Electro's sweet starfish mask?!

So much wasted potential. At this point I'd be better off hoping he'll get stuck on a good book and just seek out his foreign language Playboy work. :|

If they reboot Marvel, I'll just go back to indies. So it'll be Batman, Superman, and indie books. And whatever the Black Panther's into.

Marvel Nu Universe 2012!

Nightmask returns to protect your dreams!

Definitely. When he tries, the man is jaw droppingly talented. He doesn't often try.

Byrne doesn't need to. He has a legion of fanboys that pay his crazy prices to have him redraw their favorite pages or do series of sketches for them. A guy I was in line behind at Mid Ohio Con was showing off all the Byrne classic Spidey villains he was having drawn for him - I think it was $250 a pop for a single figure. I'll have to double check and see if my friend recalls.

It's crazy, but a lot of old timers are just raking in money doing work for fans. I believe somebody had a Dodson drawing of Amethyst they brought with them to MoC this past year and paid Karl Kesel to ink for them. So yeah - the crazy fanboy comic shop dream is going to the next leve. They're taking their income and crafting their creative team wet-dream art projects at conventions.

John Byrne was no joke back in the day.

Anywho. . . read a Deadpool team-up today, the one with the racoons. Glad I read it on MDCU, because that was a shitty ass comic. Deadpool as Bugs Bunny is full of fail.

Finished World War Hulk, another Mighty Marvel Misfire. Only marginally better than Civil Bore and brought down tremendously by the involvement of Sentry, the worst fucking character ever.

Next up Black Panther by Priest and Infinity Gauntlet.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Again, what? I mean, I know it's subjective but I just can't see that at all.

i think he's talking about the one page in #8 the babes eyes ..were...manga ish...maybe other than that i dunno maybe cause frank looks like snake with his eye patched over. I think the art has been some of the best in the marvel U

akira28

Ok, if they bring back the Star Brand and Justice, I'll hang out in the new New Universe 2012 until they regain their senses.

Byrne doesn't need to. He has a legion of fanboys that pay his crazy prices to have him redraw their favorite pages or do series of sketches for them. A guy I was in line behind at Mid Ohio Con was showing off all the Byrne classic Spidey villains he was having drawn for him - I think it was $250 a pop for a single figure. I'll have to double check and see if my friend recalls.

It's crazy, but a lot of old timers are just raking in money doing work for fans. I believe somebody had a Dodson drawing of Amethyst they brought with them to MoC this past year and paid Karl Kesel to ink for them. So yeah - the crazy fanboy comic shop dream is going to the next leve. They're taking their income and crafting their creative team wet-dream art projects at conventions.

John Byrne was no joke back in the day.

Byrne's got a standing offer that for 30 grand he'll make someone their own comic. Nobody has taken him up on it yet.

That forum of his is something else though.

Fraction needs to be punched in the throat for FI and Defenders. He's on a Loeb-Slide.

Hard to believe he wrote the perfect Iron Fist.

You could say, he's a FRACTION of the writer he used to be AMIRITE?! :D

Parallax: I was never big into Marvel cosmic stuff. Only reading it for
Cap wielding Mjolnir. CAP!

And he's still amazing on Casanova(although it helps to have Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon penciling your shit), so its not like he just lost it. He just seems so neutered in the superhero world, like an almost bad version of Bendis, but his shit sells and he gets decent reviews, so he aint getting replaced.

And he's still amazing on Casanova(although it helps to have Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon penciling your shit), so its not like he just lost it. He just seems so neutered in the superhero world, like an almost bad version of Bendis, but his shit sells and he gets decent reviews, so he aint getting replaced.

I honestly wouldn't blame him for crapping out mediocre product for a paycheck to support the work he loves.

If the funnybook industry weren't so fucked up he'd be able to support his family on his passion projects.

It's not, so ya gotta eat shit for a paycheck and health benefits.

I'm talking about priest written panther. Some of the best of the panther.

Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited. :3

I've always loved the visual of Black Panther, but his earlier series weren't so hot. It also came out when I was far out of love with lamestream comics. This has the right combination of awesome artists and naught but acclaim for the writing. So here I go!

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited. :3

I've always loved the visual of Black Panther, but his earlier series weren't so hot. It also came out when I was far out of love with lamestream comics. This has the right combination of awesome artists and naught but acclaim for the writing. So here I go!

the best black panther was when he was in that ongoing that featured multiple heroes that didnt have monthly books at the time. I dont think it was tales of suspense but i have a few in the archives somewhere my dad bought them when i was little. Even Dwayne Mc Duffie refrences those stories as some of t challa's best.

Its sad his current run is ending , boy did it start off good, and not only that , it had a good .1 when almost all others were a complete waste. T'challa vs Kraven was one of the best reads of the summer for me. Unfortunately FI completely train wrecked a chunk of that series. A lot of good marvel solo's are ending and i can only hope X factor , and Thunderbolts dont get put on the block too, maybe the solo books will appease Disney and mr. mouse for now.

Brubaker admitted that it was mostly Fraction during the run, but, again, he had one of the best artists working today with David Aja. Why the FUCK isn't David Aja on more comic book projects is beyond me.

I'm so glad I have that run in Omnibus form. I haven't read it in years, I think I'm gonna re-read it tomorrow.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
the best black panther was when he was in that ongoing that featured multiple heroes that didnt have monthly books at the time. I dont think it was tales of suspense but i have a few in the archives somewhere my dad bought them when i was little. Even Dwayne Mc Duffie refrences those stories as some of t challa's best.

Its sad his current run is ending , boy did it start off good, and not only that , it had a good .1 when almost all others were a complete waste. T'challa vs Kraven was one of the best reads of the summer for me. Unfortunately FI completely train wrecked a chunk of that series. A lot of good marvel solo's are ending and i can only hope X factor , and Thunderbolts dont get put on the block too, maybe the solo books will appease Disney and mr. mouse for now.
The panther vs kraven battle was ruined by storm

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Animal Man #6 was a bit pants though wasn't it? The art was lovely and all but the story was pretty pointless, unless Cliff is going to start resenting Buddy's superheroics soon or something... but yeah, felt like it was a little inconsequential.

I don't think it was inconsequential or "pants" at all. I loved this issue. Aside from the opening blurb in the first issue, among all the madness it's easy (especially for a new reader) to have lost sight of the fact that Buddy is an actor or just that he has a life outside of superheroing in general. This side snippet provided a look at Buddy Baker the man, an obvious parallel to the goings on in "real life," and a reprieve from all the danger and tension of the first arc.

The most significant thing about the issue is finding out it's actually Cliff watching the film. That illustrated to me a kind of reverence for his dad and likely a fear that the events of the movie could come to play out for real. It was kind of a nice emotional touch from a character that has been kind of just a tag-along jokester up until now. I think it's pretty clear by now that Lemire is making the entire Baker family the main character of this book and not just Buddy. That small moment at the end of this issue made a nice, subtle, subtextual statement about Cliff and his relationship with his dad. I think these familial touches are what is going to make this book more special than if they were just tussling with and running from flesh horrors every month.

I don't think it was inconsequential or "pants" at all. I loved this issue. Aside from the opening blurb in the first issue, among all the madness it's easy (especially for a new reader) to have lost sight of the fact that Buddy is an actor or just that he has a life outside of superheroing in general. This side snippet provided a look at Buddy Baker the man, an obvious parallel to the goings on in "real life," and a reprieve from all the danger and tension of the first arc.

The most significant thing about the issue is finding out it's actually Cliff watching the film. That illustrated to me a kind of reverence for his dad and likely a fear that the events of the movie could come to play out for real. It was kind of a nice emotional touch from a character that has been kind of just a tag-along jokester up until now. I think it's pretty clear by now that Lemire is making the entire Baker family the main character of this book and not just Buddy. That small moment at the end of this issue made a nice, subtle, subtextual statement about Cliff and his relationship with his dad. I think these familial touches are what is going to make this book more special than if they were just tussling with and running from flesh horrors every month.

Exactly how I felt. Lemire is adding a human consequence to all this end of the world shenanigans. Animal Man/Swamp Thing combo is a phenom.

Anyone here read the Boys #63? What'd you think of
Hughie killing A-Train?
Re: Boys #63
I guess it makes sense cuz he is in love with Annie, and it was all leading to that. I think just about everyone is capable of committing violence at a certain emotional breaking point.

Loved this issue. So 2 more and that is it? Oh wiki says 72 issues. Good, I want more!

Fraction needs to be punched in the throat for FI and Defenders. He's on a Loeb-Slide.

Hard to believe he wrote the perfect Iron Fist.

I'm starting to sour on fraction. I loved his Iron Fist and the first 3/4 of his run on Iron Man. But his Thor and X-men didn't do anything for me. Also the whole ordeal with everything in Fear Itself being undone in the three epilogue issues.

Maybe it'd be more enjoyable in a collected edition, but in the monthly format dedicating an entire issue to it feels needlessly longwinded and kind of a waste.

Jennifer Blood is on the chopping block. Garth Ennis is no longer writing it, and the previous issue ended with a massive cliffhanger which this issue seemingly ignored completely! >:O

Marvel Adventures Spider-Man #22 (big titty, no cleavage Black Cat issue) was enjoyable. First story Spiderman gets roped into fighting in Mandarin's fight club, but the second story is great. Spidey is hired by the Blonde Phantom to catch Frog Man. While he's pursuing him he runs into Black Cat and hijinks involving her luck based powers ensue.

Yeah, I read Kids comics (GOOD ART! GREAT ART!). You want to make something of it?! :D

tm24

I'm so glad I have that run in Omnibus form. I haven't read it in years, I think I'm gonna re-read it tomorrow.

I went on Ebay and bidding on the omnibus and the last 2 trades. Damn this thread and making me spend more than i planned on comics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom