• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS February |OT| of Curious (Black) Creators & Curious (Black) Characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel's $$ count was a smidge higher than DC's though. I honestly only care about this shit because I'm terrified Marvel will get backed into doing a similar reboot on the 616.

I think Marvel's history is one of its defining elements. I just don't believe they're gonna throw all that away for a short-term sales boost. Their numbers are still pretty competitive just doing what they always do. There's a bunch of rumors about a reboot after Avengers vs X-men, or a reboot/death of Spider-man after ASM #700, which I don't want to happen, either.

In the mean time, Spider-Man has decided to become the Red Hood

1328205051.jpg

1328290338.jpg

Splatt

Meh, I have nothing against Aquaman, but the relaunch by GJ is boring and feels more decompressed then an issue of Avengers by Bendis. Pretty art by Ivan Reis, though.

I think Marvel's history is one of its defining elements. I just don't believe they're gonna throw all that away for a short-term sales boost. Their numbers are still pretty competitive just doing what they always do. There's a bunch of rumors about a reboot after Avengers vs X-men, or a reboot/death of Spider-man after ASM #700, which I don't want to happen, either.

Hopefully they can see they're hanging in there without it. But I can see a corporate knob job saying "Yeah, but we want you to hang in there and get those two months of bigger sales too."

Ugggghhhhh comics

FoneBone

It's wishful thinking from bitter fanboys who hate Marvel's creative direction. (Same sort of thinking that leads people to think that DC has any chance of undoing its reboot.)

I'm not sure if they're going to reboot but they're definitely going to do some kind of publicity stunt. Probably one that involves Joe Quesada on Good Morning America talking about how relevant the characters are.

I'm not sure if they're going to reboot but they're definitely going to do some kind of publicity stunt. Probably one that involves Joe Quesada on Good Morning America talking about how relevant the characters are.

"Yeah, those DC guys had that one uh...Batman, or whatever movie. But we had Avengers AND Spider-Man! We have more franchises mainstream audiences love to see! Please buy our comics!"

"Yeah, those DC guys had that one uh...Batman, or whatever movie. But we had Avengers AND Spider-Man! We have more franchises mainstream audiences love to see! Please buy our comics!"

I'm rooting for Avengers and Spider-Man to do well this summer just to keep Disney off their back. Seriously living in fear every day with this reboot shit. Maybe I'll start buying more t-shirts or something. Anything. Just tell me what you need, Disney.

Kuroyume

Banned
This may be a stupid question but Im unfamiliar with comics and I could use some clarification... I want to buy the new Adventure Time comic book and acodring to the site below the publisher has sold out of the first print.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36735

The comic will supposedly go on sale on the 8th. Is it possible the comic might be at a local comic shop now or is it likely they wont get it until then?

It's wishful thinking from bitter fanboys who hate Marvel's creative direction. (Same sort of thinking that leads people to think that DC has any chance of undoing its reboot.)

It will be a few years but DC will undo the reboot over time just like they undid the Post-crisis DCU overtime to bring back the silver age. Either that or in a few years they will just reboot it again into something different.

DC Comics has always been famous for really violent changes and then they settle down and elements from different eras and reboots seep together over time.

This may be a stupid question but Im unfamiliar with comics and I could use some clarification... I want to buy the new Adventure Time comic book and acodring to the site below the publisher has sold out of the first print.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36735

The comic will supposedly go on sale on the 8th. Is it possible the comic might be at a local comic shop now or is it likely they wont get it until then?

"Sold out" means comic shops have bought all of them. If the issue goes on sale on the 8th, then no consumer gets them til then. Either they bought those copies for subscribers who put them on a pull list, or to put the copies out on a shelf. You should probably be able to walk into a shop on the day it comes out and buy it.

"Sold out" means comic shops have bought all of them. If the issue goes on sale on the 8th, then no consumer gets them til then. Either they bought those copies for subscribers who put them on a pull list, or to put the copies out on a shelf. You should probably be able to walk into a shop on the day it comes out and buy it.

Yeah, the fact that it's sold out means in fact that stores orded it heavily, so it should be readily available.

CBR reviews Punisher #8, gives 4-1/2 stars

This “Punisher” book, like the recently relaunched (and soon-to-be-connected) “Daredevil” series, has given me a new appreciation for the character while deepening my admiration of Greg Rucka’s ability as a writer. Like “Daredevil,” if you’re not reading “Punisher,” you’re missing out on some of the consistently best stuff that Marvel is putting on the new comics racks.
This book was number eighty on the most recent charts. Number EIGHTY. Daredevil, arguably the most acclaimed superhero series of 2011, rates at thirty-eight -- but Punisher? EIGHTY. Meanwhile, universally panned drek like The Dark Knight sits at number six.

I'm gonna let that sink in for a bit.

To say nothing of that godawful Titans book sitting in the top twenty while Avengers Academy continues to flirt with the cancellation line.

Nesotenso

This book was number eighty on the most recent charts. Number EIGHTY. Daredevil, arguably the most acclaimed superhero series of 2011, rates at thirty-eight -- but Punisher? EIGHTY. Meanwhile drek like The Dark Knight sits at number five.

There is no justice in this world . Fanboys will buy a piece of turd if there is Batman slapped in front of it.

This book was number eighty on the most recent charts. Number EIGHTY. Daredevil, arguably the most acclaimed superhero series of 2011, rates at thirty-eight -- but Punisher? EIGHTY. Meanwhile universally panned drek like The Dark Knight sits at number six.

To say nothing of that godawful Titans book sitting in the top twenty while Avengers Academy continues to first with the cancellation line.

It just illustrates that comics are becoming a place that does not support creativity any longer. There's subjective stuff involved, there are books that I can see why people like them even if they're not my thing, but if there aren't enough people to support books like Daredevil? I won't be reading comics in 2017 because there'll be nothing left for me to read.

Splatt

The only positive I can see if Marvel reboots the universe is that Iron Fist will get an ongoing.

That's never going to happen :'(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just been gorging myself on comics this evening, best way to spend a friday.

Action Comics #6 was pretty surprising, I'd not really been enjoying this run too much but this issue was classic crazy Morrison, all big concepts and hundred mile an hour dialogue. I think it's a shame the the rest of the writers aren't using this really sci-fi take on Superman. This older Superman is a really unique take for mainstream supes. He seems almost forcefully confident with all the bizarre concepts he's coming across, it's pretty different from the usual, fairly bland character in pre-52. I didn't mind the old supes at all, but when you think about it, he's a really mundane character. He's just 'heroic', without much of a flavour to the heroism... he's nice but can get ticked off, slightly innocent or old fashioned, not particularly exciting. This Superman we get a glimpse of here seems much more pro-active and at home with these massive concepts, like he's a science-hero rather than a normal superhero.

I dunno, it's subtle and I'm probably not explaining it very well, I just liked the change of pace in this issue, looking forward to more like it.

Animal Man #6 was a bit pants though wasn't it? The art was lovely and all but the story was pretty pointless, unless Cliff is going to start resenting Buddy's superheroics soon or something... but yeah, felt like it was a little inconsequential.

But Sweet Tooth #3, that was the shit. This book is always great but this issue was just thrill a minute. The reveal of the bad guy was chilling and the fight scene was really disturbing in it's briskness. And then the ending.... goddamn such a cliffhanger! Loved how frantic everything was and how bad everything got for everyone.

Also read #5 of Uncanny X-Force, catching up with the series. Loved it, and I think I might like Esad Ribic even more than Opena, I really dig his fucked up archetecture, and I like how well he works with the colours like Opena does too. Great stuff. Even though I have no idea who Deathlok is, I think I get the gist of it.

And in non-comics but related, I've been reading The Last Run, the new Greg Rucka Queen and Country novel. And godamn it is amazing. So gripping, so taut, so twisty-turney. I've been reading Q&C since #1 and can't get enough of how hardcore it is about the minutia, and then it's also an amazing action series too when it wants to be. It's the shit, and I can't wait to read more. I can only think it's not going to end well, Tara is in the shit. Awesome.

Glad to hear AC might have turned things around. Shall be reading it on the way home.

Also, DHP had good stuff this week. BPRD/Hellboy epilogue, Beasts Of Burden, and a (GREAT) preview of Wood/Donaldson's new series The Massive.

I guess it's my shorthand to describe a lack of variety? Or a lack of, I don't know, grittiness to the faces? I can't really describe it, but the faces just seem incongruous to the material.
Okay, that's a little easier to understand if not agree with. Seems to be plenty of grit there to me, but now it's joined by a measure of beauty and that contrast can be startling. To me it's a refreshing change of pace, after years of Dillon's endlessly scowling, "stick firmly lodged in colon" Punisher, or other artists' eternally squinting Seagal -esque Punisher. But I can see how others might be put off.

krypt0nian's "boring" comment is just nonsense though. Every issue is incredibly tense, and #3 had one of the most dramatic fight scenes of the year.

prv9662_pg6.jpg

It's five issues and (in the comic) months later and Frank is still recovering from those injuries sustained. That's one of the things I love about this book; things like that don't just get written off.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

In the mean time, Spider-Man has decided to become the Red Hood

1328205051.jpg

1328290338.jpg

i had an action figure that looked just like that

that actually scared me.

BluWacky

Anyone here into Locke and Key?

Yes, although I've only read the first volume (2 and 3 on the way, I'm not buying the damn hardbacks!).

If I had one complaint about it it's that I'm not a huge fan of the art style. I think it's extremely well drawn and composed, but I guess I just like my human beings a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

That said, it's gripping and freaky, and I've very much enjoyed what I've read so far.

Splatt

I've just read that Daniel Way has had the longest run on a solo Deadpool title, beating out Nicieza and Joe Kelly.

I am depressed and need a drink.

Mifune

Mehmber
Anyone here into Locke and Key?

Love it. I've read the first three collections and I'm amazed by the pacing and sheer audacity of the storytelling. The way I tear through those issues reminds me of how I used to read Planetary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom