• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross The Line - Sexual Assault... ok, maybe just Sexual Harassment!

Imm0rt4l

That was the other thing that was stupid as hell. Starslay3r said she had her back about being harassed and that it was wrong for her to be treated the way she was. Miranda's response to it was. She's dumb and doesnt know anything, things are fine.

So freaking dumb =.=

I don't approve of it at all. I'm just saying she stuffed herself into the situation when she had times to back out of it.

dat cognitive dissonance.

CPS2

But the biggest problem is that I think when you are called out on it, or when you realize that you have actually offended someone or someone is being seriously critical of the environment being created by your comments or actions, you don't defend it. You take a step back and admit that you might have crossed the line, you apologize, and you try to work it out so everyone has a fun time playing games.

Every time someone says that phrase, I can't help but think of that cross the line show they were doing, and I imagine that chick saying "who will cross the line?!"

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This guy is a fucking clown, it's terrible how he keeps trying to justify this shit and acts like it's something acceptable. Sucks how a lot of people try to defend him because of the community. There doesn't need to be an agenda against the entire FGC but this sort of thing can't be ignored, it needs to be dealt with.

alstein

Sometimes I think I'm the only FGC person here who thinks the game journos are right.

I've known people to get peer pressured out of the community- some of which had real potential as players.

I honestly don't know if I'm in the majority or minority- I just know on this issue, I'm at least trying to be a decent human being.

vg260

Bailing out of this thread now. Too many generalized statements from people who are not members of the general FGC, the NeoGAF FGC, or even watched the streams.

You don't need to be any of those to find much of this distasteful. Not to mention people trying to justify this behavior.

Alucrid

Banned
And again, what happens? Articles and the media generalize anonymous online spectators, stream monsters, who spend their time trolling anyways using hundreds upon hundreds of troll accounts, as the FGC itself (not to single them out, but considering 4chan has a very strong fighting game community, I wouldn't hazard a guess that many of them originate from there either just to light fires). And then, this issue is for some reason deemed exclusive to the FGC and blown up out of proportion completely because the FGC never gets any positive news reported about it. Suffice to say, people on GAF, and a lot of pro players are very upset about how this incident is painting the ENTIRE community.

Yes, what Aris said was terrible. He had a point he was trying to make, took it way too far out of line, and started talking some mad misogynistic nonsense that went far beyond the nasty and has put the entire FGC in this odd situation, much of us ashamed. But I don't know about these articles trying to cram everything into one neat piece of writing when the entire thing has been a massive clusterfuck over the past 3 days. Don't report on something if it's just misinformation, at least GiantBomb is doing something to try and remedy that.

So many details left out, like how Miranda kept saying on her twitter how Capcom did nothing when they did, and how they intervened early on too IIRC, how Aris actually apologized, how Miranda threw matches and screwed DMG Kor (a teammate for a challenge) out of potentially getting back in for the $25K with her premeditated plan she talked about on Twitter, etc. So much periphery information that isn't presented, but indeed plays into the fuckery that is this event that's unfolded over the past few days.

EDIT: Oh yeah can't forget the Starslay3r thing too. Girl tells her to shut up about there being sexual harassment going on, and then she goes and claims there is afterwards. I just don't understand what's been going through Miranda's mind these past few days either.

I would imagine it would have something to do with the fear that she'll be outed of the FGC if she makes a big deal out of this.

Kuugrr

Oh, OK. Is there any significance to the term beyond "streamer" or "viewer" or "spectator"? Seems like an oddly long term if it's just that.

It was coined by a player who was talking about people who win tournaments, people who come out to tournaments, and people who watch streams. The term for the latter ("stream monster") stuck.

So many details left out, like how Miranda kept saying on her twitter how Capcom did nothing when they did, how Aris actually apologized, how Miranda threw matches and screwed DMG Kor (a teammate for a challenge) out of potentially getting back in for the $25K with her premeditated plan she talked about on Twitter, etc. So much periphery information that isn't presented, but indeed plays into the fuckery that is this event that's unfolded over the past few days.

I feel like a lot of people are getting hyper-defensive about this and trying to somehow de-legitimize any criticism by picking apart every small detail about this girl to try and somehow make her the villain in all this.

Maybe some of these details undermine her integrity a little bit, but this is stretching it.

However, you don't even really need her testimony (if you guys are fucking putting her on trial) to see that the shit that was said in the two main videos really does speak for itself. No amount of harping on details is going to make that shit right.

obonicus

"The beauty of the fighting game community, and you should know this - it’s based around not being welcome. That’s the beauty of it. That’s the key essence of it. When you walk into an arcade for the first time, nobody likes you."

"And then there are people who are racist but they have tons of friends of all colors and they have deep love for those friends."

"This is a community that’s, you know, 15 or 20 years old, and the sexual harassment is part of a culture, and if you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community--it’s StarCraft."

It's interesting that these comments are very very similar (substitute 'sexual harassment' for, say, 'trash-talk') to the arguments used to keep 'esports' away from FGC. Basically, a lot of 'we like it the way it is, we don't want to have to clean it up'. (Also note that from the cross assault thread before this hit the fan, some people were actually trying to spin Aris' remarks into that sort of argument.)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh, OK. Is there any significance to the term beyond "streamer" or "viewer" or "spectator"? Seems like an oddly long term if it's just that.
It's just the slang, the "monster" bit highlights the craziness that goes on in stream chats pretty well so it sticks. If you enter a FGC thread, it probably sounds like we're all speaking a different language entirely.

"This is a community that’s, you know, 15 or 20 years old, and the sexual harassment is part of a culture, and if you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community--it’s StarCraft."

Hooray for multiculturalism! All cultures are equally worthy of respect!

sephi22

Because this:
SwR0G.jpg

Stream monsters are a truly different breed.

You don't need to be any of those to find much of this distasteful. Not to mention people trying to justify this behavior.
Being a member of those might let you more insight into the situation, rather than going by articles posted in haste without much research. Miranda even asked for the Dtoid article to be taken down.

If you try to watch pretty much any fighting game tournament, you will get a steady stream of people in the chat talking about everything other than the actual game going on. Basically people just trolling as hard as they can just because they can. Racism, sexism, you name it, lots of isms.

The solution is the first thing you do when opening a stream is close the chat and discuss it if you like in threads like GAF. Why they would pander to this on a commercially backed show is beyond me. I don't see them as part of the fgc, more like a cancer that needs to be removed. I think it needs to be made clear that people who make comments like that are the outsiders.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
He was supposedly pulled aside by Capcom's folks and he apologized several times a couple of days ago.
That's great. First be a dick, then apologize. That makes it cool, right?

Also, what does it matter if you're in the FGC or not? This is public. You idiots are on the news. You're representing gaming. What the fuck are you doing?

You have to face the fact that this is generally not acceptable behavior at all. This includes handling the consequences. This is how society works. Furthermore, age doesn't factor into it. The kids involved also have to get their act together.

sephi22

If you try to watch pretty much any fighting game tournament, you will get a steady stream of people in the chat talking about everything other than the actual game going on. Basically people just trolling as hard as they can just because they can. Racism, sexism, you name it, lots of isms.

The solution is the first thing you do when opening a stream is close the chat and discuss it if you like in threads like GAF. Why they would pander to this on a commercially backed show is beyond me. I don't see them as part of the fgc, more like a cancer that needs to be removed.
This. This is the textual description. Mine was visual.

the sacrosanct fighting game community must be allowed to police itself, much like the catholic church and the fundamentalist church of latter day saints.

how dare any of you outsiders question one of the holies?

(p.s. gamers remain one of the most obliviously privileged cliques on this barfworld of a planet)

furthermore, a big ol' laffo at the idea that this is acceptable behavior anywhere, at any time.

Bailing out of this thread now. Too many generalized statements from people who are not members of the general FGC, the NeoGAF FGC, or even watched the streams.

I'll see you guys in the SFxT OT, if you survive. Be safe, everyone. The mods and Capcops are watching.

Why do you need to be a part of any of those to be able to accurately judge what is acceptable human interaction?

I'll see you guys in the SFxT OT, if you survive. Be safe, everyone. The mods and Capcops are watching.

pretty smart way to play it. keep away and run the clock down, VG journos have a short attention span when it comes to news.

udivision

Oh wow. I think I just got it. Stream Monster = Kappa?
Is that it? I feel like I might've learned something from reading through this thread.

Alucrid

Banned

The solution is the first thing you do when opening a stream is close the chat and discuss it if you like in threads like GAF. Why they would pander to this on a commercially backed show is beyond me. I don't see them as part of the fgc, more like a cancer that needs to be removed.

Eh, discussion generally doesn't happen in GAF threads either. It's usually goes like this

*something big happens*

"OHHHH SHIT"

"BLOWN UP"

"GET HYPE"

"GOOOOOOTECKSSS"

etc.

I also wouldn't say that stream monsters aren't talking about stuff on stream. They are, they're just not talking about the games. They're talking about Chris Hu wanting someone's sister, they're talking about Ultradavid looking good in his suit, they're making crass jokes about people in the crowd, if a girl pops up on a cam they go fucking bananas.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
A lot of shit talking happens in casual environments, and this is definitely something that is under greater scrutiny because of public streams. I agree that there is a different threshold for what people are comfortable with, and people who are playing games tend to want to cool off on being politically correct.

But the biggest problem is that I think when you are called out on it, or when you realize that you have actually offended someone or someone is being seriously critical of the environment being created by your comments or actions, you don't defend it. You take a step back and admit that you might have crossed the line, you apologize, and you try to work it out so everyone has a fun time playing games.

Not true. There are definitely people in the community who do not condone this and do say things against it. If you follow the big tournaments streams with Team Spooky organizing and streaming stuff, they have generally great commentators and their events are planned to be all inclusive without pandering to this sort of shit. There's still some ways to go for the community at large, but there are steps being taken to make it better.

The problem I feel with this specific event which Capcom is running is that they probably didn't know what they were getting into by putting together two specific teams with the rules requiring one female player in each, and then making it a "reality show" format. It was probably asking for trouble tbh.
Yeah, I guess it's obvious he felt like he could show his true casual personality in the reality show format.

And I agree that people need to know how to apologize when they are wrong.

I think what I want to say is that I think this can spark an ongoing debate about the FGC that can last after this blows over. More drama is sure to come. After you watch a clean tournament, a lot of viewers can and will get offended at what is said on casual streams.

If someone wanted to in an article, they could criticize floe and FGTV and the FGC in general based on Twitch the past month that I've been watching.

Because this:
401534_2752604170091_1107254479_32158928_884269869_n.jpg

Stream monsters are a truly different breed.

Being a member of those might let you more insight into the situation, rather than going by articles posted in haste without much research. Miranda even asked for the Dtoid article to be taken down.

Well, if you read the tweets later she says it's because it made it seem like she actually talked to him when she didn't.

She appears to be fine with both the PA and GB articles however.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I would imagine it would have something to do with the fear that she'll be outed of the FGC if she makes a big deal out of this.
That's a possibility, but even still, she teeters between drawing attention to herself and the situation, and then trying to distance herself from the drama because of all the pressure. It's difficult to tell what she wants.

I feel like a lot of people are getting hyper-defensive about this and trying to somehow de-legitimize any criticism by picking apart every small detail about this girl to try and somehow make her the villain in all this.

Maybe some of these details undermine her integrity a little bit, but this is stretching it.

However, you don't even really need her testimony (if you guys are fucking putting her on trial) to see that the shit that was said in the two main videos really does speak for itself. No amount of harping on details is going to make that shit right.
I don't think she's the villain at all. Aris is the villain, and the reason why we're here, but I don't think that gives anybody the go ahead to ignore these details that do give a better perspective of BOTH sides of the issue. The less black and white people see the issue at it's core, the less black and white the entire situation regarding the FGC becomes as well. Or else you get some of the brash generalizations of the FGC.

I can't support misinformation, I just gave some examples from the other side because there seems to be enough explicit evidence of shit Aris did already.

Resilient

Not true. There are definitely people in the community who do not condone this and do say things against it. If you follow the big tournaments streams with Team Spooky organizing and streaming stuff, they have generally great commentators and their events are planned to be all inclusive without pandering to this sort of shit. There's still some ways to go for the community at large, but there are steps being taken to make it better.

The problem I feel with this specific event which Capcom is running is that they probably didn't know what they were getting into by putting together two specific teams with the rules requiring one female player in each, and then making it a "reality show" format. It was probably asking for trouble tbh.

You're right, my comments were fairly broad. I've watched plenty of streams where this doesn't happen, Team Spooky are pretty good when it comes to this stuff. It shouldn't be asking for trouble though, these kinds of events should still be able to take place. If anything, they were asking for trouble when they didn't stop this shit as soon as it started on the streams. That stuff durin.g day 1 was way way too far, and then they went and were taunting her boyfriend? Just stupid. Good one Rea for bringing it up when he did, but it should have been done sooner.

Imm0rt4l

Aris has been a dipshit for years, he just finally went full retard with it.

Yep, I think people find him too endearing despite his dickish ways. Just look at EVO 2011 him commentating with Kayo. Aris shouldn't have been a coach. for team Tekken. But given this is a reality show, it's understandable for him to think he's supposed to act the way he is seeing as it's the obvious reason to choose him.

Zeliard

The antagonism some of those guys have towards eSports has always been kinda funny. Is there something behind that or is just one of those things? Both feature people going around trying to make money at sponsored game tourneys. Seems like the same thing.

obonicus

And again, what happens? Articles and the media generalize anonymous online spectators, stream monsters, who spend their time trolling anyways using hundreds upon hundreds of troll accounts, as the FGC itself (not to single them out, but considering 4chan has a very strong fighting game community, I wouldn't hazard a guess that many of them originate from there either just to light fires). And then, this issue is for some reason deemed exclusive to the FGC and blown up out of proportion completely because the FGC never gets any positive news reported about it. Suffice to say, people on GAF, and a lot of pro players are very upset about how this incident is painting the ENTIRE community.

The FGC wants to distance itself from stream monsters, but a) FGC members are often part of the stream monsters. b) Stream monsters commentary is most of the time idiots parroting memes and things they heard on stream. c) There's very little effort to try and curb the more egregious behavior.

Yes, what Aris said was terrible. He had a point he was trying to make, took it way too far out of line, and started talking some mad misogynistic nonsense that went far beyond the nasty and has put the entire FGC in this odd situation, much of us ashamed. But I don't know about these articles trying to cram everything into one neat piece of writing when the entire thing has been a massive clusterfuck over the past 3 days. Don't report on something if it's just misinformation, at least GiantBomb is doing something to try and remedy that.

There was no misinformation. Everything in their article if factual. What might be wrong the people involved don't want to say. I asked bluerei and he told me I didn't have to know anything beyond that it had been 'handled'.

So many details left out, like how Miranda kept saying on her twitter how Capcom did nothing when they did,

What did they do? People involved don't seem to want to say. Beyond day 2, Aris stayed on and by day 5 he was saying crazy stupid stuff again.

and how they intervened early on too IIRC, how Aris actually apologized,

People have asked for references to this, I don't think I've seen any. I don't think he was particularly contrite, though, considering he came back to say stupid stuff by day 5.

how Miranda threw matches and screwed DMG Kor (a teammate for a challenge) out of potentially getting back in for the $25K with her premeditated plan she talked about on Twitter, etc.

Why does this matter? We have video evidence. Are you trying to impugn her credibility? About which part? The 'capcom did nothing'?

EDIT: Oh yeah can't forget the Starslay3r thing too. Girl tells her to shut up about there being sexual harassment going on, and then she goes and claims there is afterwards. I just don't understand what's been going through Miranda's mind these past few days either.

What is this? And in any case I don't think remarking about Miranda's consistency will lead anywhere, as it doesn't really address any of the issues.

NawidA

Banned
Capcom needs to have some dignity and ditch all the sexual harassers. They can come back when they grow up, if ever. If that means the community burns then so be it.

duckroll

pretty smart way to play it. keep away and run the clock down, VG journos have a short attention span when it comes to news.

Well, here's the real question: Is this or is this not an actual problem in your opinion?

If Aris is one of a kind and there is no one else like him or very few people like him who have such opinions and can also get the amount of attention in the fighting scene to appear in interviews and such, then it is not a huge problem and as long as the community kicks his ass over the stupidity of this episode and the media "forgets" about it as time goes by, the community will continue to improve and incidents like this are unlikely to happen again.

On the other hand, if there is a possibility that something like this can blow up in the news again, then it is something the community needs to work harder to stamp out. Prevention is always better than cure. Is there is a sort of problem, ignoring it won't make it go away.

Just saying.

ElFly

I said it before and I say it again. Miranda doesn't know how to deal with stream monsters.

This is great. Blaming the victim is so typical.

Next someone will say that Miranda shouldn't have dressed as slutty, and that she had it coming.

So many details left out, like how Miranda kept saying on her twitter how Capcom did nothing when they did, and how they intervened early on too IIRC, how Aris actually apologized, how Miranda threw matches and screwed DMG Kor (a teammate for a challenge) out of potentially getting back in for the $25K with her premeditated plan she talked about on Twitter, etc. So much periphery information that isn't presented, but indeed plays into the fuckery that is this event that's unfolded over the past few days.

It's better for the media to misrepresent and exaggerate the issue than for it to be ignored.

It's impossible for the reporters to track the exact people who said sexist things in the stream. What do you want. The people who worked on cross assault encourage this behavior by asking out any question from the chat without any thinking as to whether these are reasonable questions.

You cannot claim the FGC is clean of blame. People from it, that are well known by the community for this kind of behavior and that are tolerated by it (namely, Aris) sexually harassed a girl on camera. The only step now is to shun him from the community, barring him from tourneys and other activities, but instead you are trying to downplay and blame the media for misrepresenting the issue.

The problem here is not the media writing exaggerated articles. The problem is sexual harassment and parts of the FGC are trying to downplay, and it looks ugly.

Read above.

Don't take my word for it. Read the 50 or so pages of the Cross Assault thread discussing this issue.

Rea: When I go to SoCal regionals and I see a Phoenix [from Marvel vs. Capcom 3] on main stage getting blown up and there’s some dude in the audience just yelling “Bitch! Bitch!” every time she gets hit and then she killed and goes “Yeah, rape that bitch!” Yeah, that’s totally acceptable! Really? Really? You’re going to tell me that’s acceptable?

Bakhtanians: Look, man. What is unacceptable about that? There’s nothing unacceptable about that. These are people, we’re in America, man, this isn’t North Korea. We can say what we want. People get emotional.

This is a terrible thing to say. The only way it is not a terrible thing to say is if he is 100% joking and with a group of people who knew this to be fact. This wouldn't be a thing if he was joking.

I don't need to know him or be part of "FGC gaf" to know that at this point he said some dumb things, and instead of being reasonable and apologizing and not continue he decided to be an asshole. This is human interaction, not FIGHTING GAME SPIRIT THAT IS PART OF THE CULTURE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND STOP TRYING TO CHANGE OUR SHITTY WAYS.

zlatko

Banned
This is a terrible thing to say. The only way it is not a terrible thing to say is if he is 100% joking. This wouldn't be a thing if he was joking.

I don't need to know him or be part of "FGC gaf" to know that at this point he said some dumb things, and instead of being reasonable and apologizing and not continue he decided to be an asshole. This is human interaction, not FIGHTING GAME SPIRIT THAT IS PART OF THE CULTURE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND STOP TRYING TO CHANGE OUR SHITTY WAYS.

Yeah....except that he DID apologize multiple times to her the same day it happened, and hasn't really said or done shit since.

Infinite

What's a "stream monster"?

i don't feel like the other answered the question well so im going too.

A stream monster is FGC slang for one who consumes FG streams and post in chats. The "monster" suffix is actually used often as we have popular terms like "pot monster", "training mode monster" and other things. It's like calling the cookie monster the cookie monster cause he's a fiend for cookies and you get the idea.

duckroll

This is a terrible thing to say. The only way it is not a terrible thing to say is if he is 100% joking and with a group of people who knew this to be fact. This wouldn't be a thing if he was joking.

But dude, this isn't... North Korea man... yeah... Lolz. :(

Well, here's the real question: Is this or is this not an actual problem in your opinion?

If Aris is one of a kind and there is no one else like him or very few people like him who have such opinions and can also get the amount of attention in the fighting scene to appear in interviews and such, then it is not a huge problem and as long as the community kicks his ass over the stupidity of this episode and the media "forgets" about it as time goes by, the community will continue to improve and incidents like this are unlikely to happen again.

On the other hand, if there is a possibility that something like this can blow up in the news again, then it is something the community needs to work harder to stamp out. Prevention is always better than cure. Is there is a sort of problem, ignoring it won't make it go away.

Just saying.

the problem is the majority of people, who are good, don't want to throw him under the bus, and take attacks on him as attacks on the entire community. it's like the whole blue wall protecting bad cops thing.

Top Bottom