• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban (The Great Ace Attorney) : official website, screens, details

injurai

Banned
hopefully it doesn't take too long to come over here. you better be right, injurai! don't give me false hope!

LarryButz-cries.gif

Don't you worry! I'm a deductive prodigy you know...

AJ_Ema_Skye_Smug_1.gif

ZeroX03

Banned
This is going to be a new mainline trilogy, The only reason PWvPL made it was because of fan demand. Out of respect for Shu alone the company would have his games localised. Japan doubling down on domestic only production is going the wayside and the turn to minimal skus published on mobiles and internationally is becoming the trend. I see now reason for this not making it to the west and furthermore on mobile devices.

Wasn't Layton being a beast in Europe a big contributing factor? It's probably all just assumptions on our end anyway.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Will this at least get a retail release?
Maybe the Sherlock name can sell it.

But this is Capcom, they're run by morons.

Evilisk

It's probably the goggles but the designs felt kind of steampunk-y to me at first

Also lol at Watson's drill-heart hair

Iris Watson: A young girl living with Holmes. Although she's only 8 years old, she holds a medical degree and is the author of the extremely popular novel series "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes." Some say her skills of deduction surpass even Holmes'...
How did Takumi go from Pearl, a decently grounded little girl, to this?
Susato Mikotoba: A young woman who works as a legal assistant supporting Ryuunosuke due to 'certain circumstances'. A progressive, foreign-mystery loving Yamato Nadeshiko.
That sounds a little promising.
Yamato Nadeshiko
This not so much.

Lotto

I dig the character designs, although Holmes and Watson look a lot more busy/detailed than I'm used to seeing in Ace Attorney games. Really excited to see more stuff at TGS!

Swamped

Banned
Don't you worry! I'm a deductive prodigy you know...

AJ_Ema_Skye_Smug_1.gif

At first glance I thought you had misspelled 'detective', then I realized I'm an idiot.

AA5 got released in the US within 4-5 months of Japan. I really hope something similar happens with this game to. Majorly looking forward to it.

I know Ace Attorney is ANYTHING but grounded but I'm really disappointed the whole "Watson is an 8 year old girl" thing was true. An eight year old having a medical degree and being the author of a series of books is just too stupid for me. And not in a charming or interesting way. And I'm a guy that loves stupid shit if it's "good/fun stupid."

Without having played the game (obviously) it feels incredibly forced to me, like an attempt to meet some weird "young girl" quota that they had to fill (I realize in reality it's just pandering to the core market in Japan right now, but ugh). I mean, even her design stands out as very jarring compared to the other three. Maybe I'll play the game and be completely wrong but I really don't like it as of now.

Also, I'm a little bit disappointed that most of the game takes place in London. I was pretty hyped up for an old-school Japanese court setting.

Lernaean

Banned
Imo it's definitely being localized. AA5 did good and IP awareness is high atm. Also it might be needed to fill a release slot, as we know little of the 2015 release schedule.
I feel good about it.

I know Ace Attorney is ANYTHING but grounded but I'm really disappointed the whole "Watson is an 8 year old girl" thing was true. An eight year old having a medical degree and being the author of a series of books is just too stupid for me. And not in a charming or interesting way. And I'm a guy that loves stupid shit if it's "good/fun stupid."

Without having played the game (obviously) it feels incredibly forced to me, like an attempt to meet some weird "young girl" quota that they had to fill (I realize in reality it's just pandering to the core market in Japan right now, but ugh). I mean, even her design stands out as very jarring compared to the other three. Maybe I'll play the game and be completely wrong but I really don't like it as of now.

Also, I'm a little bit disappointed that most of the game takes place in London. I was pretty hyped up for an old-school Japanese court setting.

Having to defend an orca in a murder trial doesn't fit into that category? xD

Miker

I dig the character designs, although Holmes and Watson look a lot more busy/detailed than I'm used to seeing in Ace Attorney games. Really excited to see more stuff at TGS!

I agree. She looks an overdesigned version of a simpler, more classic character. In my mind, Watson-chan is to Pearl as Beck (Mighty No. 9) is to Mega Man.

Having to defend an orca in a murder trial doesn't fit into that category? xD

Nope, that's fun stupid!

I fully admit it's an undefinable line. But surely there are things that anyone here looks at and thinks "Man that's so stupid that I love it" and some things that makes them think "Huh? That's just dumb. I don't like it."

Falls into the latter for me.

Bardiche

That courtroom in Japan is beautiful, too bad it'll only be for the first case. I wish the game stayed in Japan rather than London.
8 year old girl named Watson with an MD degree and an author of a popular novel series? Looks like Awkward Zombie is on to something.

Hopefully this will get localized...and a physical release.

Wait, when does this game take place? Weren't swords outlawed at the beginning of the Meiji era? Why would a lawyer have a sword anyway?

XaosWolf

'Eat your Crumpets Apollo'

Yes. I can't wait for Katie's take on this one.

I'm betting they include Sherlock in the localization's title.

Ace Attorney vs Sherlock Holmes ??

Something along them lines. Europe loves them some Ace Attorney and Layton.
Sherlock is just the butter on the crumpets.

I want this localized. BADLY.

Plus, more "Eat your hamburgers, Apollo" jokes, please.

This guys knows what's up on three separate accounts.

Top Bottom