• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this is gaf's thread of the year.

everything is here:

- meltdowns
- bitter tears
- bans
- shocking news

:lol

HomShaBom

Banned
Deku said:
almost there. stay on target.

Porkins.jpg

Diablos

One other thing I forgot to mention: I bought DQ8 for the FF12 demo. Surprisingly, I played the FF12 demo once, hoping they would improve it before the final release
(they didn't)
. Then I put in DQ8, and couldn't put it down for quite some time. After that I played it at my leisure for a few months and really enjoyed it... it's probably the best game I played on PS2 (next to VP2). However, I am not interested in DQ9 on DS. Some people might call me a "bandwagon jumper," but I consider myself a new DQ fan. The fact that I'm not going to buy a DS and DQ9 should give a clue as to what will happen to some of the new DQ fans S-E picked up because of DQ8. They always have Japan by default. But if a lot of other gamers get turned off by the idea of a DQ on DS, then that's just hurting new fans and the potential for the series to gain popularity and therefore sales in NA and Europe.

I don't want a Wii, but if DQ9 was announced for it, that may have changed my mind! Instead, S-E is dumping a bunch of console RPG's onto a handheld.

Please don't call me a graphics whore. DQ8 easily has some of the best graphics on PS2, but it doesn't look like Crysis or something. I enjoyed DQ8 because it was a good game. I do not enjoy RPG's on handhelds, period. I don't really like handhelds at all -- DS, PSP, doesn't matter.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Amir0x said:
He knows what he wants, and, he has created extremely logical and well-thought out posts supporting his positions... he is no troll, at least we can say.
The logical part is up for debate but hey, it was great to read very well thought out.

EDIT: DQVIII bombed here did it not? I loved that game.

Amir0x

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
The logical part is up for debate but hey, it was great to read and very well thought out.

DQVIII bombed here did it not? I loved that game.

The conclusion is certainly up for debate, but I think he has a very intelligent clear line of progression and it's logical (in the context of his point of view) that he'd have this sort of fear. He is no troll, and, he likes certain things.

TekunoRobby said:
DQVIII bombed here did it not? I loved that game.

It was the best selling DQ game of all time in America, IIRC, which is certainly not a bomb... by now it has to be at 500,000k since it dropped to $20 (it was at 400k by like the end of December 2005).

Rocket Slime sold like shit, and I'm pretty sure DQIX is gonna do pretty poorly here too - if for no other reason, because it doesn't have a demo of the next big FF game.

Diablos

Magicpaint: But that remains to be seen. They had a sure, even if slow and steady, gain of DQ fans here. Now it's uncertain. Handhelds don't have as much appeal here as consoles do. This is not Japan.

dbish

My thoughts: Hey cool, I have a DS. Now what's this "Dragon Quest" thing that people keep rambling about?

In all seriousness though, as a limited RPG player (Chrono series, FFVII, and I'm working my way toward the end of FFVI) should I be excited about this? Or is it very "old school"?

Deku

Banned
Diablos said:
Please don't call me a graphics whore. DQ8 easily has some of the best graphics on PS2, but it doesn't look like Crysis or something. I enjoyed DQ8 because it was a good game. I do not enjoy RPG's on handhelds, period. I don't really like handhelds at all -- DS, PSP, doesn't matter.

Your loss I suppose. I will have a problem if all future DQ games are on handhelds, but putting at least one on a portable opens some very interesting gameplay possibilities as well as demographic possibilities.

I work 70 hours a week and can't sit at home to play, but i can play in the office, and a DS is perfect. For schoolkids, its the same thing, only they don't have to be tied to their TVs at home, which is a good thing.

I'm willing to give IX a chance, it's really that simple. And the screens we've seen seem to indicate a large overworld. Any my guess is, it will follow the FFXI system of LOD management by splitting up the overworld into 'zones' and subzones within zones since Horii appears to have taking his inspiration for DQ IX from XI, sans the MMO part.

This will be interesting.

Error

Diablos said:
But that remains to be seen. They had a sure, even if slow and steady, gain of DQ fans here. Now it's uncertain. Handhelds don't have as much appeal here as consoles do. This is not Japan.
yet the DS is selling more than all the systems here now... I think you are underestimating the appeal of handhelds here

threeball

Banned
Diablos said:
One other thing I forgot to mention: I bought DQ8 for the FF12 demo. Surprisingly, I played the FF12 demo once, hoping they would improve it before the final release
(they didn't)
. Then I put in DQ8, and couldn't put it down for quite some time. After that I played it at my leisure for a few months and really enjoyed it... it's probably the best game I played on PS2 (next to VP2). However, I am not interested in DQ9 on DS. Some people might call me a "bandwagon jumper," but I consider myself a new DQ fan. The fact that I'm not going to buy a DS and DQ9 should give a clue as to what will happen to some of the new DQ fans S-E picked up because of DQ8. They always have Japan by default. But if a lot of other gamers get turned off by the idea of a DQ on DS, then that's just hurting new fans and the potential for the series to gain popularity and therefore sales in NA and Europe.

I don't want a Wii, but if DQ9 was announced for it, that may have changed my mind! Instead, S-E is dumping a bunch of console RPG's onto a handheld.

what makes you think they aren't going to gain new fans? i say they gain more fans than they will lose.

Diablos

Deku said:
Your loss I suppose. I will have a problem if all future DQ games are on handhelds, but putting at least one on a portable opens some very interesting gameplay possibilities as well as demographic possibilities.

I work 70 hours a week and can't sit at home to play, but i can play in the office, and a DS is perfect. For schoolkids, its the same thing, only they don't have to be tied to their TVs at home, which is a good thing.

I'm willing to give IX a chance, it's really that simple. And the screens we've seen seem to indicate a large overworld. Any my guess is, it will follow the FFXI system of LOD management by splitting up the overworld into 'zones' and subzones within zones since Horii appears to have taking his inspiration for DQ IX from XI, sans the MMO part.

This will be interesting.
Is it my loss though? I don't enjoy handhelds so I don't really feel like I'm missing out. I think S-E could lose a lot of new fans, and probably will. I can't be the only person who bought DQ8 for the FF12 demo, only to find I actually enjoyed DQ8 and nearly forgot about the stupid demo.

I'm not underestimating the appeal of handhelds, but do you really think you're going to see a mirror image of Japan here in the US or in Europe? Come on error.

jrpg devs are backing themselves into a corner by dumping console RPG's onto handhelds if they are forgetting that it may not catch on as well in the west. You say they don't care about us, but I think they do whenever we buy their games.

Amir0x

Banned
dbish said:
My thoughts: Hey cool, I have a DS. Now what's this "Dragon Quest" thing that people keep rambling about?

In all seriousness though, as a limited RPG player (Chrono series, FFVII, and I'm working my way toward the end of FFVI) should I be excited about this? Or is it very "old school"?

the series has traditionally been extremely old school... but this game, after 8 incarnations, is finally breaking from that tradition. It's an action RPG with 4 player co-op

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Amir0x said:
The conclusion is certainly up for debate, but I think he has a very intelligent clear line of progression and it's logical (in the context of his point of view) that he'd have this sort of fear. He is no troll, and, he likes certain things.
Obviously he isn't a troll, Deku is the only one claiming that. Sorry, I just don't buy into doom & gloom self destruct posts. Too melodramatic and self serving no matter how logical the progression appears. It was great to read though.

Amir0x said:
It was the best selling DQ game of all time in America, IIRC, which is certainly not a bomb - by now it has to be at 500,000k since it dropped to $20 (it was at 400k by like the end of December 2005).

Rocket Slime sold like shit, and I'm pretty sure DQIX is gonna do pretty poorly here too - if for no other reason, because it doesn't have a demo of the next big FF game.
Ahh ok, I was under that impression because of the drastic price cut so soon after release. DQVIII is awesome, deserves to do better here in the US. Maybe pack in a DVD movie of FFXIII with the release of DQIX? ;)

aeolist

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Well, they might lose a few, but then again might also gain a few. Online coop alone should guarantee that.
They've got me interested so far, and I've never really felt the urge to play DQ before.

LevelNth

Banned
I'm so very proud of all the Level-5 love exuded in this thread. Sometimes you guys just... just make me so happy. *wipes tear*

Though some of you:

jarrod said:
Well actually....

:lol
*shakes fist angrily*

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Yeah that didn't make sense to me either. lol.
And you! You're on my PS3 friend's list... I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIEND!

Error

IGN said:
Those who are worrying about Dragon Quest losing its charm as a single player game needn't. You won't have to play the game with others. "We'd like to make an epic title that can be fully enjoyed when playing alone," said Horii. "I can't discuss the game content yet, but the fact that we attached IX to it means that we'll be making a game of the appropriate level."

I have faith in horii. we'll see!

Baryn

Banned
By releasing a major game on a platform generally devoid of major games, one would think that S-E has the potential to do much better than they would on a home console.

Haven't really kept up with this thread at all but I'm guessing I don't have to have in order to know what kind of posts have been made. :lol

Anyway, I think this is pretty interesting. I enjoy my DS and I love cooperative action RPGs (and wish there were more good ones) so this sounds great to me. That said this still seems like a really bizarre choice, even with Horii's populist attitude towards the serires. I think that Dragon Quest is going to help DS more than the DS is going to help Dragon Quest.

Diablos said:
Magicpaint: But that remains to be seen. They had a sure, even if slow and steady, gain of DQ fans here. Now it's uncertain. Handhelds don't have as much appeal here as consoles do. This is not Japan.

Everything remains to be seen. If you're using yourself as an example, well then there have been tons of people here who already gained interest because of the changes and/or the format choice, so yeah, all remains to be seen.

Deku

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Obviously he isn't a troll, Deku is the only one claiming that. Sorry, I just don't buy into doom & gloom self destruct posts. Too melodramatic and self serving no matter how logical the progression appears. It was great to read though.

Perhaps difference in definitions. I mean if you keep beating on the same dead horse and treading the same inane "OMG DQ sell out, doomed, death" territory a hundered other people talked about (it isn't original for one) no matter how logical some people perceive your posts, I would define it as a troll.

Trolls can be intelligently written too. You noted self serving. Isn't that kind of the point of trolling?

Dave Long

Banned
Diablos said:
I'm not underestimating the appeal of handhelds, but do you really think you're going to see a mirror image of Japan here in the US or in Europe? Come on error.

I'm not error, but how can you possibly say this with a straight face after Nintendo sold 900k DS units in the US in one month and 515k in Europe in a week?

Seriously dude. Times have changed. Handhelds are just as big a deal as the home consoles.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I just hope the US DS fanbase goes nuts over this game. The best opportunity DQ ever had* was when it was released with fantastic graphics and on the PS2 (and packed with an FFXII demo :) ). It'll do amazingly well in Japan, not an issue at all. I just hope it'll garner a big following here as well.

*Aside from being given away for free from Nintendo Power

Deku

Banned
Diablos said:
Is it my loss though? I don't enjoy handhelds so I don't really feel like I'm missing out. I think S-E could lose a lot of new fans, and probably will. I can't be the only person who bought DQ8 for the FF12 demo, only to find I actually enjoyed DQ8 and nearly forgot about the stupid demo.

I'm saying its your loss that you can't enjoy an RPG on a handhelds or handhelds in general as there are lots of great games made for handhelds.

When did this turn into DQ WW sales/appeal discussion thread. I'm talking about Japan and DQ/RPG fans the world over. Obviously, Dragon WARRIOR isn't the franchise Final Fantasy is outside Japan, but if everyone believed that, this wouldn't be a 4800+ post thread. It's only this huge because a bunch of people thought it was important enough to cry/celebrate about.
jrpg devs are backing themselves into a corner by dumping console RPG's onto handhelds if they are forgetting that it may not catch on as well in the west. You say they don't care about us, but I think they do whenever we buy their games.
That's a huge generalization. Horii wanted to make something different. It's his game, and the announced features are actually new and not doable on a PS2 and it will reach a console with a massive installed base. It's fairly typical DQ product to me.

I don't think jrpgs are backing themselves into a corner by 'dumping' mainline into portables. I think console sales this gen will be weaker than last gen, mainly due to price and cost of entry to HD. In that case it might make sense to put FF XV on PSP2 or DS2 or we'll be playing $50million dollar Dragon Quests that could have been made for a fraction the cost for no appreciable gain in gameplay, other than shiny graphics. I'm overstating of course, but Horii has said he doesn't like the tech race, and hence his signal to the development community by putting DQIX on the DS.

I am really surprised that so many are putting this down just because it is going hand held.
I would love to see a sweeping grand visual DQ game on the PS3, but there have been some great handheld rpgs lately and more coming.
I am concerned about some of the changes in the game play but that will all have to wait to be seen.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
What the PS3 will lack in Dragon Quest it will make up in other fantastic RPG IPs. That black hole will be quickly filled by other companies who recognize a golden opportunity to work on a potentially popular platform with only one juggernaut franchise.

Error

TekunoRobby said:
I just hope the US DS fanbase goes nuts over this game. The best opportunity DQ ever had* was when it was released with fantastic graphics and on the PS2 (and packed with an FFXII demo :) ). It'll do amazingly well in Japan, not an issue at all. I just hope it'll garner a big following here as well.

*Aside from being given away for free from Nintendo Power
it's up to SE USA tho, FF12 had an amazing marketing campaing. now plz do the same with DQ9 market it for kids like in Japan. the DQ8 marketing campaing was so bad "oh look it's popular in japan! and hey hey hey it's includes the FF12 DEMO!" that aint gonna cut it this time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LevelNth said:
I'm so very proud of all the Level-5 love exuded in this thread. Sometimes you guys just... just make me so happy. *wipes tear*

Though some of you:

*shakes fist angrily*

And you! You're on my PS3 friend's list... I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIEND!

I don't negatively associate dungeon crawlers with anything. I quite like them.

Snaku

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
What the PS3 will lack in Dragon Quest it will make up in other fantastic RPG IPs. That black hole will be quickly filled by other companies who recognize a golden opportunity to work on a potentially popular platform with only one juggernaut franchise.

Yeah, cause they're all just scrambling over each other to put the next potentially popular epic RPG on the PSP. :lol

I don't see how this is a bad idea at all.

By the time this game releases, the DS will have the largest install base in America (Over its console counterparts). Considering the short turnaround time there is no way this will be anything but successful. DQ IX released for consoles would take years, meaning the most eligible current console with the largest installed base (the PS2) will be dwindling by the time the game releases.

When Dragon Quest X is ready to release i'm sure Horii will look at the market again and then decide what console will attract the biggest userbase.

People are neglecting the fact that they will be seeing the next Dragon Quest in record time. But fanboys love to bitch, I suppose.

I can't wait to see the 10+ page Dragon Quest IX page filled with people who where in this thread bitching exalting it (or console fanboy egos still dumping on it because its success burns their souls.)

Kreed

Diablos said:

Just imagine Dragon Quest Swords has a 9 instead of Swords behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom