• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - "The Descent" DLC coming August 11 (PS4/XBO/PC)

kai3345

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked but is this supposed to have any interesting story stuff? That was one of the complaints that kept me away from Jaws of Hakkan

I love that this is focused on the dwarves but I was really waiting for the last big story DLC that ties everything together before I booted the game back up.

Sorry if this has been asked but is this supposed to have any interesting story stuff? That was one of the complaints that kept me away from Jaws of Hakkan

JoH actually has quite a lot of interesting story stuff, the issue is that most of it is found in side-quests and codex entries rather than in cutscenes (it also depends on what you find interesting). JoH is lore-heavy and cinematic-lite. Honestly, it's basically a really well-done form of the main game's areas (i.e., it's a big open space with collectibles, but it has a reasonably-focused main narrative, some interesting NPCs, and side-quests that compliment that main narrative rather than distract from it). It's like a refined version of what the main game offered, which if you didn't like what the main game offered isn't really going to convince you it's good, but it does actually have a fair bit of interesting plot.

Not sure whether Descent will follow in that trajectory or break from it. I would assume so, however. It seems unlikely that any of the DA:I DLCs are going to do something like DA2's Legacy or MotA, for example, since they don't really seem to fit the game's style. It's possible that the final DLC might, possibly, but I doubt this one will.

Ploid 3.0

Hopefully this confirms that new multiplayer maps involve Deep Roads, adding the Darkspawn faction. I love the Deep Roads, so much stuff to kill, and so much loot from fallen heroes and greedy enemies.

Ragona

Havnt touched the game ever since i finished it last december. Wonder how difficult it will be to get used to controls and game mechanics again.

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
Just came back to Inquisition last week to play JoH after I got it in the EU PSN Summer Sale. I played 120h across two characters when the game came out. Was kind of shocked that they patched all the cheese tactics lol, I was kinda helpless at first playing without my Tempest + Thousand Cuts build.

Udder

Neo Member
My current character is level 15 is that enough to play the DLC all the way through or should I switch to my post game character?

MrBS

Need to find three items in a small area to progress the game. Only two are there. Solution: leave the area and come back for the third item to spawn.

Bioware never afraid to return to the classics.

TheFatMan

I had to go online on my PC to the PSN store and purchase the DLC. Even though I am currently downloading the damn thing, it's still not showing up as available to buy anywhere on the in-console store.

Yeul

David Hayter HAS to be voicing Renn, right?

Yeah it is lol. When I first heard it I was like...............where have I heard this voice before??? And then it clicked. Ironic that we're
collecting "metal gears" throughout the DLC though lmao.

It's pretty good so far. I started it right after I got to Skyhold so I think my level is on the low side at 12. I stopped after I got to the second camp. I think I'll level first before going deeper.

On one hand, I'd prefer DLC that was more focused on the post-ending story and politics.

That said, I thought the best environment and atmosphere in DAI were subterranean so I'm looking forward to the Deep Roads.

This is one of my favorite horror movi....oh wait.

Interested to try this. I really want BioWare to experiment with their game design in these DLC's so by the time the next Dragon Age game comes out they have fan tested feedback that just so happened to also make them money.

MrBS

Game over. I found the developments in this DLC quite interesting. I hope the groundwork here leads to more of this story being explored in the future.

As far as the gameplay goes its quite focused. It's a victory lap DLC. I was at max level, so were the enemies and so was the loot. You can wander off the beaten path for more loot on run straight through.

It took me about 6-7 hours with everything done. I had fun with it for USD$9.99 but your milage may vary ;)

JeffG

It's a victory lap DLC. I was at max level, so were the enemies and so was the loot. You can wander off the beaten path for more loot on run straight through.
I am doing it with a new playthrough and I just got to Skyhold. Level 7. I guess I will see how it goes

Wow. That DLC was a piece of shit. Don't buy it.

It has nothing to do with the darkspawn like the trailer implied. It answers a mystery we didn't even know existed and it creates more questions. It's incredibly short, less than 3 hours. It's also artificially hard. It's a grind to get through the enemies who all have like 50,000 health (while my level 27 Inquisitor has around 1000). Without the grind it would have probably only taken 45 minutes to finish.

SeanTSC

Wow. That DLC was a piece of shit. Don't buy it.

It has nothing to do with the darkspawn like the trailer implied. It answers a mystery we didn't even know existed and it creates more questions. It's incredibly short, less than 3 hours. It's also artificially hard. It's a grind to get through the enemies who all have like 50,000 health (while my level 27 Inquisitor has around 1000). Without the grind it would have probably only taken 45 minutes to finish.

You must really blow through shit. I clocked about 7 hours out of it and enjoyed it quite a bit. It is shorter than JoH though, I got 10-11 out of that. Still, definitely worth 15 bucks to me.

It answers a mystery we didn't even know existed and it creates more questions.
That's too bad. I wish they'd focus on the actual Inquisition and it's war effort, grand chessboard politics, etc, or especially post-ending politics and helping mind ties, strengthen trade or security, et cetera. The first one was the same thing... was another inquisitor mystery really the most pressing story concern? I'm actually a big DA INQ fan, and loved the inquisition, politics, war effort, etc elements, but both of these seem so out of left field and uninteresting. I don't understand why they think these stories even needed being created and addressed when there's already so much related to the main characters or factions that could already be focused on.

I suppose it just makes good end-game content, right? Easier to make a believable post-ending boss and 'grinding hordes' hidden in deep underground than near a trading route lol probably still pick it up eventually cuz I'm rather bored of insta-gibbing giants lol so any new content is probably still worth a few coffees

ta155

Game over. I found the developments in this DLC quite interesting. I hope the groundwork here leads to more of this story being explored in the future.

As far as the gameplay goes its quite focused. It's a victory lap DLC. I was at max level, so were the enemies and so was the loot. You can wander off the beaten path for more loot on run straight through.

It took me about 6-7 hours with everything done. I had fun with it for USD$9.99 but your milage may vary ;)

It's $9.99? No idea how that equates to £11.99 over here, especially as I'm fairly sure Hakkon was £7.99. Seems ridiculously high.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CMXE-sLVAAIXZsq.png

Keep fucking that price chicken, EA.

If the player reviews had been positive I was thinking of picking this up, but I was really disappointed to hear that there isn't much commentary from your party after the initial cutscene. It's a bit of a wasted opportunity, what a shame.

dr_rus

CvH8sWk.png

Yeah, even though that's like 50% less than US $25 I'm still gonna pass, thanks. Will buy once it's half that.

If the player reviews had been positive I was thinking of picking this up, but I was really disappointed to hear that there isn't much commentary from your party after the initial cutscene. It's a bit of a wasted opportunity, what a shame.
The entire DLC can be described as a wasted opportunity.

Yeul

It's $9.99? No idea how that equates to £11.99 over here, especially as I'm fairly sure Hakkon was £7.99. Seems ridiculously high.

They used a VPN to access Mexico's Origin. Prices are usually better there and people used it to buy DA:I, Titanfall, Battlefield, etc.

Just beat it last night, I found it pretty good. Some fun combat scenarios, great music, pretty vistas, and Lt. Renn as fucking Solid Snake haha (<3 David Hayter). Took me about 6-7 hours to complete everything. Neat dive into some additional historical lore of the DA universe too. There was quite an unexpected development midway through it that I found really interesting. It also has its own war table near the entrance where you can find different points on each level of the Deep Roads to unlock operations and explore additional areas for that sweet, sweet loot.

I'd recommend it to most who are a fan of the base game.

Ralemont

not me
I've also heard this DLC makes you filthy, nasty rich. Like going from 20k gold to 700k gold rich. Which actually ties in nicely with the Deep Roads premise!

I've also heard this DLC makes you filthy, nasty rich. Like going from 20k gold to 700k gold rich. Which actually ties in nicely with the Deep Roads premise!
Heh, you fight a shit ton of enemies in the Deep Roads and a huge amount of them drop something like 200 gold each. And being Level 27 going into it myself, there was quite a bit of loot that I didn't need so I sold. I think I have about 250K gold in the game now lol.

Sou Da

I liked it but it has the same problem that JoH has where it would be a lot better if it just had the DA:O combat system. Shame too, I actually think some of the encounter design here is better than the first deep roads dungeon.

Horns

Damn. Loved DAI, but I can't get this DLC because I finished it on 360. Can't transfer my save to PS4 and the DLC is not coming to 360.

GavinUK86

So Jaws of Hakkon was good right? And this one's pretty decent? I'm waiting to buy all the DLC together when it's all done but good to hear Bioware's on the right track.

It also has its own war table near the entrance where you can find different points on each level of the Deep Roads to unlock operations and explore additional areas for that sweet, sweet loot.
That's cool. I would probably getting it just for the subterranean setting because I thought all the other caves in DAI were awesome (I would love a BioWare game based on something like the Underdark or the Drizzt novel Exile or even Menzoberranzan in Homeland), best areas in the game, and for the loot, but good to hear there's more war effort stuff, too.

Top Bottom