• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro II Gameplay Debut Trailer

Tr4nce

Huh, why was I under the impression that this game would have a top down view? I see it is a 2D side scroller now.

Fucking great job GAF. Hah, I remember how it all started. And now here it is. A fine example of the greatness that is GAF!

JIWEOGH I WANT NOW!

I bet there are...
MANLY MANNED GUNS SHOOTING FISTS

METAL SLUG IS FOR CHUMPS
2636t.gif

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Love the change to an oldskool platformer!

One small feedback: the main character's arms/weapon should animate a bit more pronounced when firing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Get your arse on IRC :)

PM me the IRC details (I don't remember them :O) and I'll hop on tonight.

If you could also PM me a list of dialogue spots that still need writing, that would be awesome as well. I'm still rather busy with my company, but I recently have been a little more free, so I can actually start helping again.

feel

That was seriously amazing! Had to watch it 2 times back to back, so good!

And yep, allow people to pay something if they want to, because I want to.

thefro

Looks great. Love the mix of Contra/Megaman/Ducktales I see.

Will be interesting to see how it handles. Seems like Dudebro moves a little slow to me.

demidar

It's a pixel 2D shooter-platformer now? I feel like I've been slapped in the face with a dick.

A tasty dick wait what

You guys gonna get this on Greenlight?

scitek

^^^ Thanks all!

You save the game in bars :)

Can't confirm or deny yet, sorry! It's definitely being explored, but some hurdles should be solved first and I'd rather not promise anything now.

Let me know if you still need Chicken voiced. I have access to a mic now lol

I was also surprised by the new gameplay. At first I thought to myself "Wait, is this Dudebro I?" I just couldn't imagine gameplay in the 3D engine and was actually scared that we weren't seeing any real game screenshots (in a Duke Nukem Forever kind of way). But the April Fools/ Valentine/ other holiday updates kept hope alive

Now I think the Contra style fits perfectly and am officially rehyped once again! I'm also glad to see the hints of/nods to/parodies of other gameplay mechanics (Megaman, Metroid, Halo) in a way that doesn't detract from the game.

I'm so hyped I'll post pics of my dudebro halloween costume from 2010
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/76670_491677881527_3086591_n.jpg
and me wearing the brolar bear hat
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/149181_562680776372_5930926_n.jpg
(I hope these links don't go bad lol)

demidar

Giant Bomb will surely give this much coverage, after all Patrick Klepek loves playing 2D pixel action platformers so publicity won't be a problem!

whitehawk

Banned
I was also surprised by the new gameplay. At first I thought to myself "Wait, is this Dudebro I?" I just couldn't imagine gameplay in the 3D engine and was actually scared that we weren't seeing any real game screenshots (in a Duke Nukem Forever kind of way). But the April Fools/ Valentine/ other holiday updates kept hope alive

Now I think the Contra style fits perfectly and am officially rehyped once again! I'm also glad to see the hints of/nods to/parodies of other gameplay mechanics (Megaman, Metroid, Halo) in a way that doesn't detract from the game.

Thanks for the kind words, and you're halloween costume is too awesome.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
That trailer was so good. I'm very proud of you guys for taking it this far. Skip shitty minigame ftw. Haha.

tearsofash

Something is borked with my spare Windows installation, but hopefully there are other ways to play it eventually. Looks really good and has a lot of charm.

Amagon

Really love the trailer and just can't wait for this game to come out. (If you have a donation box, I'll throw some money down). But my only nitpick is their wasn't enough shooting in the trailer for me.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i laughed hard at this. nice job on the comic timing.

game looks really great and fun, too. big thanks and propers to everybody who worked and stuck with it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Looks great guys! I like the side-scrolling instead of the top down, although that looked great as well. I think the side-scrolling better captures the 8bit console feel than top down.

When I think of top down games, I mostly think of rpgs or action rpgs. When I think of side-scrollers, I think of Super Mario Bros, Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Duck Tales, Mega Man, etc.

This game is now on my list.

Right after I heard John St. John say 'It's straight up dawgtime" I had to close my browser to stop myself laughing.

Great job guys.

Gomu Gomu

Fucking kudos for sticking up with this project for all these years. I admit I was skeptical and didn't think this thing is ever going to be released. And even if it were to be release, I thought it would be a mess of a game, that's been in development hell it's entire lifecycle. Instead you guys surprise us with this awesome looking game. Seriously, the style and art work is top notch. And the gameplay looks to be a hell of a lot more solid than I thought it would be.

It's been almost 3 years since you started doing this. I know most of you have jobs and probably don't need whatever little money this is going to bring to you, so you want to release it for free. But hell, you really should adopt some kind of "pay what you want" model. You deserve it.

Have you guys considered going big time with this game? Releasing on XBLA, I mean. You built the game using XNA, and already got the controller working. So it might be worth it to do whatever little work that needs to be done, in order to be published as an XBLA game.

I know you have to find a proper publisher if you want your game to be released there. And if you want a publisher to get involved, you have to make the game profitable for them. So being free or 'pay what you want' is not going to fly with them.

Anyway, finished my useless rant. I just want to say, as a final thing, that I have seen many projects (software or otherwise) being planned to be done through the internet. And almost non of them made any progress. So to see our own community developers take it all the way, despite the many setbacks, makes me proud as hell of you.

Good luck, and congrats on job well done.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Will be interesting to see how it handles. Seems like Dudebro moves a little slow to me.
We actually spent a lot of time tweaking this (along with gravity). It may seem slow, but he's very responsive and imho feels weighty just enough.

Seeing as it's XNA now, I wonder if someone could try compiling it with MonoXNA: http://www.monoxna.org/

If that works, we could possibly see Mac/Linux ports.
MonoGame seems like the better alternative. It was used to port Bastion to multiple platforms.

Let me know if you still need Chicken voiced. I have access to a mic now lol
We sure do.

Man, the costume is fucking awesome!

Top Bottom