• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E.X. Troopers |OT|

Got my copy just now, the special edition version from capcom's web store. The figure is very nice. Looking forward to playing the game shortly.

Wish there had been an in-store version of this.

Gold medaled the first three VR missions while on the train to Nagasaki. This game is just good fun.

Rocket launchers all over the plaaaaaceee!!!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The rocket launcher was worthless on the PS3 version. For the amount of cash you spend making the damned thing the damage output vs. time it take for it to reload is a joke.

Kyoufu

The rocket launcher was worthless on the PS3 version. For the amount of cash you spend making the damned thing the damage output vs. time it take for it to reload is a joke.

I liked the shotgun the most. Could use it between reloads and it staggers/knocks back those annoying enemies with the machine guns.

It was fairly cheap from what I remember. I'm hardly struggling with cash and it one shots groups of enemies real nicely.

Shotgun is awesome though. So good.

Parakeetman

On the PS3 version it takes a while to gain cash.
the plans come from not exactly a sub quest, but for helping out with a simple request from one of the fellow members of the base. The launcher costs 4000 points to build.
which is a lot of $$$ if you consider how much you are usually spending with upgrading everything else. The rocket fired is a bit too slow to be used at a distance and with how the enemies do move around a lot you tend to waste a shot. At least its not like levels are so huge that you really need to worry about getting picked off at range, so most of the fights are up close and personal where point blanking folks isnt an issue. Esp since theres no self damage in the game. But still the reload time just makes it an inefficient weapon. Even more so when you notice how little damage it does on the larger akrids. If the game had actual jumping it would have been a lot more useful as being able to jump in the air and shoot downwards would have made it a bit more useful by shortening the distance till impact with something as to cause blast damage to catch enemies even if you dont have a direct hit.

Its currently the most expensive weapon to build from what I went through with the game and just is not really worth it, vs the other secondary weapon types. Am sure it might be more useful once you can upgrade it, but at the start you wont be able to get a hold of the mats needed to do said upgrades. Granted you can do the highest paying virtual mission at the time to gain around 600-700 points a pop, but still thats time taken up doing it.

Before I had quit the game all of my equipment which includes weapon types was upgraded to its max status just to see how long it takes as a small example.

What Im curious about is if they changed design features from the PS3 to the 3DS. As to match console vs. portable gameplay experience.

---

Agreed on the shotgun, that weapon is great on humanoids and smaller akrids. Esp
on that fucking stressful 2nd challenge mission in the frontier base, where you need to knock enemies off of the battle arena into the lava below. Getting the top score on those gives you a challenge medal which you can spend on buying alternative costumes or music from an NPC that hangs out in the development section of each base.

As mentioned I really wanted to like this game, but just did not jive well at all with me. I think if Capcom had been a little more serious about the project and put more effort into its development, they could have had something that would have rivaled the Phantasy Star ARPG series. Though took design choices to simplify things, yet at the same time went and added in RPG features for no apparent reason. Which really does not make sense and with that in mind appears more as a time sink to slow players down from beating the SP portion faster. They really should have gone for more weapons and customization overall. As at least that keeps folks interested a bit more than what they currently have to offer. Seeing how this game is designed and a bit lacking Id imagine we will be seeing wagon sales of this title in the near future.

On another subject I could have sworn that this was announced as a VITA game too waaaay long time ago when this was first announced. But seeing how I cant find any info on that perhaps I was imagining things. Unfortunate too seeing how its not that graphically intensive so its not as if the VITA would not have been able to handle it. And another co-op included title to add to the list would have been appreciated regardless of what my thoughts on the quality of the title is. Hell even going as far as allowing the VITA / PS3 players to play together would have been cool.

---

Would like to apologies for not saying this sooner but to the creator of this OT great work! Really dig the art and short / to the point info here. :)

On the PS3 version it takes a while to gain cash.
the plans come from not exactly a sub quest, but for helping out with a simple request from one of the fellow members of the base. The launcher costs 4000 points to build.
which is a lot of $$$ if you consider how much you are usually spending with upgrading everything else. The rocket fired is a bit too slow to be used at a distance and with how the enemies do move around a lot you tend to waste a shot. At least its not like levels are so huge that you really need to worry about getting picked off at range, so most of the fights are up close and personal where point blanking folks isnt an issue. Esp since theres no self damage in the game. But still the reload time just makes it an inefficient weapon. Even more so when you notice how little damage it does on the larger akrids. If the game had actual jumping it would have been a lot more useful as being able to jump in the air and shoot downwards would have made it a bit more useful by shortening the distance till impact with something as to cause blast damage to catch enemies even if you dont have a direct hit.

I wasn't spending money upgrading everything since it's so early in the game, there isn't really a point to it.

Design is pretty much exactly the same, save for some menu layouts.

Parakeetman

Id say you would need to upgrade most of your stuff if not the damage output is quite terrible. Esp when you face off on later stages you will notice that it takes longer to kill things. Esp bosses are a pain in the ass as the secondary weapon is what takes priority for dealing out more damage than your primary. For whatever design choice that was.

I think the only fun I had was
killing the Chryatis that appears on your 2nd mission with Julie
Only because I enjoy it in games, when you actually do have the opportunity to kill something that you are "not supposed to" but can if you take the time to try . Another modern example would be what Demons / Dark Souls allowed.

But that also at the same time gave a pretty good example of what co-op boss fights would be like with friends and showing just how limited the combat really is, besides circle strafing around and breaking lock to properly dodge an oncoming attack. From there its just hammering on the weak points when you can, doing the wire shock attack when prompted, using the special when the gauge is full and not getting hit.

In regards to skills / controls
it seems you gain more as you go up in levels. Around 6 or was it 7? I think is when you learn your 2nd special attack. Would have been better if he just pounded the ground right infront of him like a power geyser, rather than launching the large odd energy ball forward slightly which causes the massive blast which lasts for a few seconds.

Id say you would need to upgrade most of your stuff if not the damage output is quite terrible. Esp when you face off on later stages you will notice that it takes longer to kill things. Esp bosses are a pain in the ass as the secondary weapon is what takes priority for dealing out more damage than your primary. For whatever design choice that was.

Honestly not having those problems yet. Between selling loot, doing side quests and just upgrading stuff when the money is available, my damage output has been working out just fine. Especially with the shotgun.

In regards to the circle strafe stuff, it's basically Mega Man Legends in that regard. Which is a-ok with me.

Parakeetman

Yeah but Mega Man Legends was an actual good game.

This on the other hand Id say its budget tier worthy.

Oh yeah about character design to be fair the other characters are perfectly fine. Its just once again mainly they made the main guy so much into the dumbshit tier that it just gets old fast. If they wanted a proper balance an example would be someone like Avan from Valkyria 2 who has at least some what of a balance between not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, but at the same time not being a total irritating idiot either with poor writing. Am using him as an example as its the closest thing we currently have in terms of the students in a hostile enviro type of setting along with character type.

The usually only thing that sets idiotic characters like that straight is a traumatic event such as someone dying. Unless that happens Id reckon you are going to be stuck with the dumbshit personality for the whole game. My only guess would be "Mr. Big" dies. Not a spoiler since this is just a guess at what happens.

Parakeetman

Haha, I dunno, I'm liking it just fine right now. It's too bad you ended up not liking it! =(

Random side note, Gingira is such a gentleman.

I did like the fact that they gave the robot a personality. Am guessing in later parts of the game the conversations if they show more with him and Julie should be amusing if anything. Seeing hows shes the mecha otaku in the group.
Reminds me of the main heroine Akiho in Robotic Notes, would be the best current example.

Is it region unlock?

Considering that very rarely that the PS3 has any region locked titles, last one I can remember was the Persona fighting game Id reckon so. Just checked play asia for you and they state its not region locked.

Neo Member
I played for about 4 hours tonight, and I'm completely in love with the game.

It's not perfect, but I'm having a ton of fun with it.

Bren is really over the top, but the game seems like it's going for the whole shounen manga vibe, so I can see how that would be a turn-off for some people.

I played the demo whenever it came out, and that was what sold me on the game. If you liked the demo, you're going to like the final game.

moozoom

I'm really considering importing this, but my total lack of japanese understanding is stopping me... Is it still playable without being able to read anything ?

I'm worried about mission objectives and customisation mostly. I hope there will be some FAQs before long but I'd prefer not to be too lost in the game.

If the UI is well made, sometimes you can get around in japanese games just by instinct.

Parakeetman

I'm really considering importing this, but my total lack of japanese understanding is stopping me... Is it still playable without being able to read anything ?

I'm worried about mission objectives and customisation mostly. I hope there will be some FAQs before long but I'd prefer not to be too lost in the game.

If the UI is well made, sometimes you can get around in japanese games just by instinct.

The game isnt overly complex. Customization = if you have the mats / money upgrade everything to max. Though since the game itself is quite simple, Id imagine a lot of enjoyment would come form the story itself. Unless you are picking it up to play with friends in the online mode.

The subquests or requests from the NPCs are not that bad either. It seemed to be mostly fetch type. Though for things that have a specific objective you might have to experiment until you figure out what the goal is. Or things like sub objectives which you need to fulfill in the VR missions if you want to earn the challenge medals for getting a gold rank by fulfilling all of the objectives listed. Said medals are used to buy extras in game which is other costumes or music.

Am sure someone would do up a simple FAQ on gamefaqs.

moozoom

The game isnt overly complex. Customization = if you have the mats / money upgrade everything to max. Though since the game itself is quite simple, Id imagine a lot of enjoyment would come form the story itself. Unless you are picking it up to play with friends in the online mode.

The subquests or requests from the NPCs are not that bad either. It seemed to be mostly fetch type. Though for things that have a specific objective you might have to experiment until you figure out what the goal is. Or things like sub objectives which you need to fulfill in the VR missions if you want to earn the challenge medals for getting a gold rank by fulfilling all of the objectives listed. Said medals are used to buy extras in game which is other costumes or music.

Am sure someone would do up a simple FAQ on gamefaqs.

Thanks for the advice !

I guess I'll take my chance with the PS3 version, and eventually double dip when an eventual Euro (3DS) release magically happens. (I have faith in Nintendo to publish it in occident, considering they're pretty chums with Capcom these days )

Parakeetman

To be totally honest though, if you cant read at all you will have to be running around back and forth a lot since you wont know who to talk to, what to look for etc. with the in base sub quests. As for mission objectives in the action part of the game thats a different story. So if you dont mind that, by all means feel free to pick up the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My copy finally came in. Look forward to digging in in a bit.

Here are the two Famitsu codes for the Monster Hunter and Famitsu collaboration outfits.

They work for both versions of the game:

Famitsu armor: 070682
MH armor: 729443

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Here are more codes :)

Casual shirt: 941342
Skull shirt: 632798
Gold (med, large, super large): 240325/822419/571006

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Where do you input these codes? I didn't see anything in the menus.

EDIT: nevermind, just unlocked it. Guess I hadn't gotten to that part in the game just yet.

StayDead

Here are the two Famitsu codes for the Monster Hunter and Famitsu collaboration outfits.

They work for both versions of the game:

Famitsu armor: 070682
MH armor: 729443

How long have you got to enter them all? My copy is being held up by waiting to ship with Layton vs AA so I might not get my copy for a few weeks.

thetrin

Anyone want to play some co-op tonight? Would love to play with some gaffers.

I played a bit earlier with some randoms and had a blast, the really large akrids are really where co-op shines.

Pranay

Was thinking of getting this game, liked the demo, but playasia ships through the worst Postal Service here.

I wish the game was on psn :(

thetrin

Just wanted to pipe up and say that if you liked the demo, you'll love the game. I'm about 7 hours in, and I'm having a blast, played a pretty high level VR mission with some randoms, and I totally see the amazing potential. For me, it definitely scratches the "MonHun in space" itch far far more than LP2 did.

Anyone want to play some co-op tonight? Would love to play with some gaffers.

I played a bit earlier with some randoms and had a blast, the really large akrids are really where co-op shines.

I'd be up for it, but I'm still waiting for my copy to make the trip from Hong Kong to Seattle.

thetrin

Do you keep items you pick up in multiplayer to use for upgrades?

As far as I've noticed, you definitely do. Also, your armor and weapon levels are unified between multiplayer and single player.

thetrin

I'd be up for it, but I'm still waiting for my copy to make the trip from Hong Kong to Seattle.

No prob. I'll be playing the game for a while, so I look forward to whenever you get your copy.

Ken

Is it obvious where you enter the codes? My copy is waiting for me at the post office so I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Neo Member
Is it obvious where you enter the codes? My copy is waiting for me at the post office so I'll pick it up tomorrow.

You won't be able to access them at first. It's still pretty early on, though. As soon as you get access to W.I.Z, you can use the codes. It's the third option down in the W.I.Z menu, and there's a lock icon, so it should be pretty obvious.

Jubern

When people say "on PS3 it takes longer to gain money" and such, why is that? Is there a StreetPass function in the 3DS version that makes grinding easier or something?

I'm not sure which version I want... I'd get the 3DS version but I heard it didn't had online multiplayer? How proeminent is multiplayer is this game?

When people say "on PS3 it takes longer to gain money" and such, why is that? Is there a StreetPass function in the 3DS version that makes grinding easier or something?

I'm not sure which version I want... I'd get the 3DS version but I heard it didn't had online multiplayer? How proeminent is multiplayer is this game?

To the first question, no special function in the 3DS. I just happen to think it's really not that hard to make decent cash via selling materials you don't need/doing quests.

For the second question, there's a pretty solid multiplayer element here, but fortunately you can do all the VR missions with AI partners.

Xater

Finally tried the demo of this game. It was fun and the art style does work well in motion on the PS3. Feels like Lost Planet but not as clunky. Capcom should really localize this game....

thetrin

It's no different. I'm playing the PS3 version, and I've had zero trouble making cash. Shit, I had a rocket launcher before the end of Episode 1.

That's great, thanks. Going to play multiplayer a lot when it arrives.

I'll be right there with you.

Also, note that playing a significant amount of single player before multi is a good idea. You need to unlock multi via SP anyway, and character skins, weapons and upgrades require progressing the story.

So yeah, finish episode 1 at the very least before touching multiplayer.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So this game gets better? I played it for about two hours and was getting quite bored. Tons of cut scenes and dialogue, followed by short, extremely easy missions that last just a few minutes each. Makes it hard to want to keep going.

I really don't like that multiplayer is locked from the start and that there's no difficulty level selection.

thetrin

So this game gets better? I played it for about two hours and was getting quite bored. Tons of cut scenes and dialogue, followed by short, extremely easy missions that last just a few minutes each. Makes it hard to want to keep going.

I really don't like that multiplayer is locked from the start and that there's no difficulty level selection.

Yeah, it's a shame, but once that unlocks, and you get a few more weapons the game gets a lot better. You're essentially still in the tutorial 2 hours in.

You also unlock new abilities (like the dodge counter) as you level.

Conan-san

Here it is, Officially last chance saloon time for Capcom. They don't get this out over here and they can kiss any creditability (of which they have so little at this point) bye-bye.

thetrin

Just got the freeze gun. This thing is a beast. At full charge, it puts the enemy in a snowman and launches them in the air, making them easy pickings. The perfect sub weapon against infantry.

Conan-san

Just got the freeze gun. This thing is a beast. At full charge, it puts the enemy in a snowman and launches them in the air, making them easy pickings. The perfect sub weapon against infantry.

And, back in the glory days of 8 bits, that would not sound even remotely off. We have become so damn old.

Top Bottom