• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E.X. Troopers |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How many VR missions have you unlocked at the moment, trin?

I only have 3 available right now. Guess I'll have to power through story mode.

edit: So impressions are 4 hours of game time: BUY BUY BUY. Capcom have crafted another fine IP. I missed games like this from the Japanese industry.

I have about 12 or so VR missions unlocked. I'm in Chapter 4, though.

I'm happy to go back to previous ones and play with you guys if you want to. I'll be on in a little bit. Just send me a message to thetrin on PSN.

One thing that you guys should keep in mind is that you're only confined to the VR missions that the HOST has unlocked. So, even if he has chapter 5 missions, and you're in chapter 1 or 2, you can still hop into the mission as long as he's the host. You will probably be a little underpowered, but it will still be doable.

Don't get too far ahead, still want you two to be interested when I get my copy! D:

I'll still be playing for a while, and I'm happy to hop into low level VR missions to play with new players. I have to do more single player to unlock a lot of the VR missions and profile data, anyway.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm ready for some multiplayer fun!

I'm hopping on in a bit. I realize you posted a while ago, but if you're still playing, feel free to send me an invite (or I could host...whichever)

What's your PSN ID btw?

Kyoufu

I'm hopping on in a bit. I realize you posted a while ago, but if you're still playing, feel free to send me an invite (or I could host...whichever)

What's your PSN ID btw?

I sent a friend request to "thetrin". Mine is Kyoufu.

You should probably host as I'm only on Episode 3 atm.

thetrin

I sent a friend request to "thetrin". Mine is Kyoufu.

You should probably host as I'm only on Episode 3 atm.

Word. ill be on in a few minutes, and I'll make a game and invite.

Kyoufu

That was great stuff. I'm in love with this game. We managed to do the 3 flag defense mission which is actually pretty difficult!

And our team EX attacks were fantastic.

Got the hour of multiplayer goodness saved here: http://www.twitch.tv/kyoufu2011/b/343532717

This game is so fun.

Going to try and get to Episode 5 and beyond tomorrow for more VR goodness!

thetrin

That was amazing. Great games, kyoufu. This game is stellar in a way I wish LP2 had been. Good god. So good. Boosting with the jet pack is so much fun.

I'm curious if you get medal credit for missions you haven't unlocked yet.

Btw, I have a mic, but I didn't use it because I wasn't sure if you did. I can use it next time we play.

If anyone is still on the fence, watch kyoufu's archived stream. It's a good indication of the multiplayer.

EDIT: Turns out you do get medal credit for missions you have yet to unlock. I just unlocked a mission I had done with some Japanese players way back when I first hopped online, and got a silver the minute it appeared in my list.

thetrin

Finished the single player. At this point, it's all multi for me.

I AM still missing a few avatars though. Still don't have the enemy avatar that I saw someone playing as a few days ago. I wonder if it's an unlock or a secret code.

thetrin

Is that OCD-playing or actually just blowing through the levels?

My clock time after campaign completion including a couple hours here and there to do online VR is 21 hours.

There isn't much to OCD with in my playthrough. I've done maybe 2 hours worth of multiplayer VR missions but the rest have been blowing through singleplayer.

Don't forget to do side missions. You get a lot of profile data doing those.

I still haven't figured out how you get the WIZ or enemy model profiles for VR. I've seen two people at this point playing as WIZ.

thetrin

Hey Ryouga, how do you solve the riddle for the endgame frontier base mission? I already got the advance base and tech base missions.

EDIT: nevermind, totally didnt notice the manhole at tech base.

Media Create numbers for this week

Those are the first week sales. Sales DO matter, who da thunk? :(

they matter for developers and publishers, i just don't care about them, it's a hard truth though. i wanted to play this in english, but life's a bitch i guess.
still a bummer it totally bombed, that just got rid of any hope left for this game, but they had already said it wasn't coming out.
for anyone that played it, how hard is it to pick up? is the game fun without understanding all the stuff that's happening?
edit: nvm, some people have already commented on that.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It's kind of simple and straightforward, but I'm having a lot of fun with it, even with the obnoxious walking bag of anime tropes MC actively trying to sabotage my enjoyment. Really sad about the game bombing. I guess this is as close to rockman dash 3 as i'll ever get. :(

I'm disappointed that the comic panel cutscenes are prerecorded and compressed for 3DS resolution instead of PS3. It's pretty awful to look at compared to the ingame stuff.
I remember when fmv was used because it looked a lot better than anything they could do in-game, now it's just a shitty stopgap to hide memory limitations and mask loading. :p

thetrin

That's really sad. It's a fantastic game, with incredibly fun multiplayer. I have no idea how weel it was marketed in Japan, though. That might have been a factor.

thetrin

Really sad about the game bombing. It's kind of simple and straightforward, but I'm having a lot of fun with it, even with the obnoxious walking bag of anime tropes MC actively trying to sabotage my enjoyment.

I'm disappointed that the comic panel cutscenes are prerecorded and compressed for 3DS resolution instead of PS3. It's pretty awful to look at compared to the ingame stuff.
I remember when fmv was used because it looked a lot better than anything they could do in-game, now it's just a shitty stopgap to hide memory limitations and hide loading. :p

It's simple, true, but it's simplicity shows a universal truth of gaming: you don't need buckets of complexity to make a game incredibly engaging.

Later VR missions are surprisingly difficult, and you have to rely on your dodge far more.

the site is kinda bad on the tech side...
logged in, following error popped up:

System Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '(myusername)' AND BINARY password = '(mypassword)' AND sec_reset = 0)' at line 1

thetrin

Anyone down for some VR? I'm making a game for endgame missions.

you guys think this will drop in price soon? it's $62 on play-asia and $70 on yes-asia. any other sites?

Asian version is far cheaper, and works with the JP version.

Jubern

I saw the number, that's fucking terrible. There was definitely quite a marketing behind it too, you could see CM on TV, posters here and there, etc...

Disaster.

I saw the number, that's fucking terrible. There was definitely quite a marketing behind it too, you could see CM on TV, posters here and there, etc...

Disaster.

This. Famitsu had a big ish feature on it every week for a while now, and there were always posters at my game shops.

It definitely wasn't invisible. What a fucking shame. At least the game wraps itself up well and isn't open ended.

Sigh. I'll be publishing an import review sometime in the next few weeks hopefully. Really behind on projects.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is the game good though? It always seeemed promising and like it gets some core things right but the full experience could still be bad. Much like previous Lost Planets. I was basically hoping for an even more MonHun like experience, but more casual due to the shooter focused elements. But not lacking in depth and isntant replayability, which the previous games most certainly did.

Either way the engine seems pretty cool for 3DS, maybe it could power a Sengoku Basara 3D and other action games. As long as it keeps being coupled with a cool art style as seen here it should lead to some winners.

Kyoufu

Is the game good though? It always seeemed promising and like it gets some core things right but the full experience could still be bad. Much like previous Lost Planets. I was basically hoping for an even more MonHun like experience, but more casual due to the shooter focused elements. But not lacking in depth and isntant replayability, which the previous games most certainly did.

Either way the engine seems pretty cool for 3DS, maybe it could power a Sengoku Basara 3D and other action games. As long as it keeps being coupled with a cool art style as seen here it should lead to some winners.

Yep, it's really good. It's pretty much what you described in your post. I'm disappointed Japan did not embrace this MH-like experience..

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yep, it's really good. It's pretty much what you described in your post. I'm disappointed Japan did not embrace this MH-like experience..

Its "My First Third Person Shooter *giggles*" I really wouldnt even put it near the same level as MH hell not even Phantasy Star Online. Considering how simplistic the controls and general combat mechanics are.

Rightfully so since this game, while its great that you folks here are enjoying it in SP and with friends, from a design standpoint isnt all that interesting. This was not a title I had played and imagined that it would be fun playing with friends. Or a title that Id like to recommend to other friends to shell out hard earned cash for just to play MP together with.

It went and ripped out everything that made the original Lost Planet games great / interesting and watered it down thinking it would attract new "sales" to the IP. Well apparently they were wrong.

While I dig the new art style that they tried out, the gameplay in general was a huge turnoff for being overly simplistic along with other design choices with the title itself.

This title is so going wagon sale.

---

Once again to all of you enjoying the game thats great and do hope you continue to enjoy your experience with said title.

Kyoufu

Obviously this game isn't for everybody. I didn't enjoy the Lost Planet games at all, but I really enjoyed this from start to finish. It's not on the same level as MH of course, but it has Monster Hunter DNA, thanks to the producer of the game.

Similarities with MonHun such as temporary food buffs, borrowed sound effects and monster battles with loot rewards, it was going to be easy for me to enjoy this.

Finished the game at 17 hours play time. Still have multiplayer monster hunting to do for weapon upgrades. Can't wait!

StayDead

Paid for my copy today for 3DS. I need to finish Bravely Default before it gets here with LvA, but damnit Animal Crossing is eating my time. >_<!

Got my copy today, well should have been yesterday but the post office was closed. Although I probably won't be playing it at all in the next few days what with Play Asia finally shipping my copy of 2nd OGs.

Top Bottom