• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM (213) March 2007 reviews/rumors

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There are ties between SCEE Liverpool and Evolution..reading the Develop article on SCEE Liverpool, it tags Motorstorm has one of the first PS3 projects of its "external team", which seems to work on a variety of projects with others outside of the studio itself.

Blue Dragon DS confirmed?
Boom-Head shot.

Mizuguchi working on a Space Channel 5 follow-up.
Wii confirmed.

Ouch on Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoners score. :(

MoxManiac

shidoshi said:
Uhm, my 8.5 for Valhalla Knights might be a little bit high, but in no way does it deserve what EGM gave it.

Is there anything about the game that could rub someone the wrong way? EGM reviewers have a tendancy to go off on a tangent about stupid things and hence score them poorly. (look at BKO review)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MoxManiac said:
Is there anything about the game that could rub someone the wrong way? EGM reviewers have a tendancy to go off on a tangent about stupid things and hence score them poorly. (look at BKO review)

It's going to lose MAJOR points for the graphics. And then I imagine the reviews like this:

JENNIFER
Oh wow, what happened here? There's like some things on the screen! What are these things on the screen? They are totally adjective and adjective! I was playing this with baby/husband and we couldn't figure it out! Why can't developers understand that things on the screen are so needlessly complex! Graphics are pejorative adjective, too!

JEREMY
Unlike Jennifer, I like it when there are things on the screen. I have no idea what she's up to. In fact, I find that most games are good when they have things on the screen. Not UGnG though. Those were sucky things on the screen. Oh yeah, this game sucks.

SHANE
Those two are both wacko. Now I will tell you why things on the screen in Lunar Knights DS are great.

Jim

Luckyman said:
Engine does not determine the framerate. :lol

No kidding... it has 100% nothing to do with it.

If they designed Motorstorm to run in a more constrained tracks (like Wipeout) instead of open environments, with much less polys needed per vehicle (as with the angular, wheel-less Wipeout ships), and probably less vehicles on-screen, they could easily pull 60fps. Especially seeing they would have plentty of time to optimizing the engine further since Motorstorm is in the can.

I still think it's using the F1 engine though. Either way, Wipeout in 2007 would be un-fricken-believable.

Wollan

No matter what technology the game will end up 'borrowing' (the other games were practice), this is WipEout and it will be using the most tuned and lubed up version of that engine possible with the most incredible art and budget to assist.

Rlan

Just a quick question about the release of stuff like this: The release date for EGM [Which is 2/13/07] is just a date for when the magazine will reach all ends of America, so stuff like this gets leaked by someone who has a subscription and lives around the corner of the printing plant, correct?

Just wondering, since my Digital March GFW popped in just now. :)

CANLI

WTF are they doing with DD Racing?
The game is pretty good (almost like Mario kart DS)... no no I can't understand them..
And a 9.5/10 for nba street? What's going on...

Defuser

You know FFVIII can also be a potential MMO area. Travel around the world as one of the finest SeeD student,finding and doing jobs.etc

Steroyd

Wipeout PS3 to hit in 2007, uses the MotorStorm engine.

droolsmiley.gif

Uh, I'll put Ar Tonelico and Monster Kingdom to the list of good RPGs rated average by EGM. Kinda surprised at Valhalla Knights, that score is too bad to be just EGM fault.

Sallokin

As someone who put nearly 2 years into FFXI despite its obvious flaws, I shudder to think about how much time I would put into an MMO that took place in Ivalice. Bangaa Dragoons FTW.

Big-E

Defuser said:
You know FFVIII can also be a potential MMO area. Travel around the world as one of the finest SeeD student,finding and doing jobs.etc

I may actually play that if they decide to do it.

I'm guessing if Blue Dragon DS is true, it'll fund BD2 for 360. Also, Wipeout PS3 better be the greatest shit ever created, SCE Liverpool.

mollipen

MoxManiac said:

Well, it's a bit more advanced dungeon crawler, where you equip yourself in a town, then trudge through dungeons for a while, then go back to town, regroup, and go back in. So, if they are hostile to that kind of gameplay, that's a big one. I typically don't like dungeon crawlers myself, but because I enjoyed the game mechanics of the VK so much, I got over there.

Like dungeon crawlers, there really isn't a huge storyline going on. This is especially noticable when coming off of another dungeon crawler, Izuna, where there was a lot of humor and personality to the game.

The game has a ton of optional side quests you can get from the guild, but unlike something like FFXII or WoW, they can give you next to no real clue where to go for the quest, except for what general dungeon area they take place in. All of the quests are optional, though, so you don't HAVE to do them, and it isn't like the different areas of the dungeons are terribly big.

Looking at all of the above, I think if you are the kind of player who wants to just be able to travel straight through your RPG from point A to point B, you're going to hate this game, because it doesn't play like that. Having gotten into WoW as of late, I'm used to the "stick to an area, do quests there" kind of gameplay, which is what this is more like.

Y2Kevbug11 said it is going to lose major points for graphics, but it really shouldn't. The screenshots look terrible, but in game, I thought it actually looked very nice. It isn't pushing the PSP to its limits, but it also has a nice, cleaner look than a lot of other PSP titles I can think of. As well, each area of the "dungeon" (which isn't really one big dungeon, but different areas sort of linked together) has its own unique style and look, so it isn't like you're always stuck in one place that looks the same no matter where you go.

I really think they played it for a while, found it hard and frustrating and were bored by the lack of exciting storyline elements popping up every five minutes, and probably wrote the game off right from the start. If you've read any of my RPG opinion posts on here, you'll know I hate random battles, and all of the meaningless battles in RPGs period, yet here is a game where I honestly loved getting into combat. The character creation and AI systems are very deep for a game like this, and it really feels great to build the exact kind of team you want. Another small touch I loved is that for each "level" of weapons, there are different kinds: so, say you're at level 1 weapons, there may be three kinds of swords, you can pick the one you think looks coolest to you, instead of always dictating which weapon you use specifically on stats alone.

Again, my 8.5 (in the soon to be released March issue of Play) might be a bit high, but this was one of those games where I just enjoyed it immensly on a personal level, and had to rate it that way. If you're more of a straight RPG fan, you may or may not like it. Like I said, I wouldn't usually like this type of game, but damn did they do so many things right with the basic gameplay.

MoxManiac

shidoshi said:
Well, it's a bit more advanced dungeon crawler, where you equip yourself in a town, then trudge through dungeons for a while, then go back to town, regroup, and go back in. So, if they are hostile to that kind of gameplay, that's a big one. I typically don't like dungeon crawlers myself, but because I enjoyed the game mechanics of the VK so much, I got over there.

Like dungeon crawlers, there really isn't a huge storyline going on. This is especially noticable when coming off of another dungeon crawler, Izuna, where there was a lot of humor and personality to the game.

The game has a ton of optional side quests you can get from the guild, but unlike something like FFXII or WoW, they can give you next to no real clue where to go for the quest, except for what general dungeon area they take place in. All of the quests are optional, though, so you don't HAVE to do them, and it isn't like the different areas of the dungeons are terribly big.

Looking at all of the above, I think if you are the kind of player who wants to just be able to travel straight through your RPG from point A to point B, you're going to hate this game, because it doesn't play like that. Having gotten into WoW as of late, I'm used to the "stick to an area, do quests there" kind of gameplay, which is what this is more like.

Y2Kevbug11 said it is going to lose major points for graphics, but it really shouldn't. The screenshots look terrible, but in game, I thought it actually looked very nice. It isn't pushing the PSP to its limits, but it also has a nice, cleaner look than a lot of other PSP titles I can think of. As well, each area of the "dungeon" (which isn't really one big dungeon, but different areas sort of linked together) has its own unique style and look, so it isn't like you're always stuck in one place that looks the same no matter where you go.

I really think they played it for a while, found it hard and frustrating and were bored by the lack of exciting storyline elements popping up every five minutes, and probably wrote the game off right from the start. If you've read any of my RPG opinion posts on here, you'll know I hate random battles, and all of the meaningless battles in RPGs period, yet here is a game where I honestly loved getting into combat. The character creation and AI systems are very deep for a game like this, and it really feels great to build the exact kind of team you want. Another small touch I loved is that for each "level" of weapons, there are different kinds: so, say you're at level 1 weapons, there may be three kinds of swords, you can pick the one you think looks coolest to you, instead of always dictating which weapon you use specifically on stats alone.

Again, my 8.5 (in the soon to be released March issue of Play) might be a bit high, but this was one of those games where I just enjoyed it immensly on a personal level, and had to rate it that way. If you're more of a straight RPG fan, you may or may not like it. Like I said, I wouldn't usually like this type of game, but damn did they do so many things right with the basic gameplay.

Well, from what you said I was excited for VK so seeing those EGM scores was kind of demoralizing. What you just described sounds great, though. I love dungeon crawlers, intense customization, and RPG gameplay provided it's executed well. And I actually found FFXII's sparse cutscenes to be refreshing, actually.

I should be getting my EGM soon so it'll be interesting to read those reviews...

Wollan

The next mag won't only have the RC5 exclusive, they will also have a Heavenly Sword preview as well as a review of God of War 2. Store date is March 14th.

MCF

Develop Magazine
Hmm - that Wipeout PS3/MotorStorm engine piece is all kinds of wrong, by my experience.

How very unsurprising that fiction still passes as print-worthy 'rumour' these days!

mollipen

Lain said:
Reading all that reinforces my anticipation for Valhalla Knights.
Thanks.

Since there are a few people in here interested in the game, I'll share a few more details. (Yeah, should probably be over in the official Valhalla Knights thread, but we're here already, so...)

When the game starts out, you choose your own sex and class. (Race, for you, is locked to Human.) At any time in the game, you can gain new teammates, up to five (for a total party of six). There are two types of possible NPC teammates: pre-created ones, and ones you create.

Pre-created ones can be gained for free after satisfying certain tasks or quests. For example, the first possible pre-created teammate you can get is a Dwarf (which, by the way, look nothing like Dwarves that we're used to) fighter, who you can put into your party for free after beating him in a duel as one of the early quests. The other way, and the way you'll have open to you much sooner, is by buying new characters. You can buy teammates from the guild, and the price each time is a step up from the previous time. When you purchase a teammate, you select their sex, race, starting class, and finally their name. Characters can be swapped in and out of your party through the Guild any time you want.

Characters can also, at any time, change their class. (Well, not ANY time - again, you have to go to the guild.) Each character has a level for every class, and that level determines what additional types of abilities you can do. For example, my favorite class type is the Paladin, so to get something along those lines, I started my character off as a Fighter, levelled up for a while, switched to being a Priest for a few levels, and then switched back, now having a Fighter that could cast some healing and cure type spells.

Also, the amount of experience you gain from fights changes depending on the overall level of your characters. So, if you have a level 10 Fighter, you can switch them to say a level 1 Mage, and the experience you gain from battles will greatly increase. For each level up, you get talent points that you can put into the character's various stats, so if you want to use that character mainly as a Fighter, you could do the class switch but then use each set of talent points for stats that would help as a Fighter.

In battle, characters other than the main character are AI controlled. (And, if you want, you can even switch your character over to AI control as well.) Each character has a Behavior option, where there are, if I recall correctly, six different stats. A character starts off with three points, which can then be distributed to one of the six stats, such as "Healing" or "Support," to skew how the character should act. As your character gains levels, they earn more points to be used in those different areas.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wollan said:
The next mag won't only have the RC5 exclusive, they will also have a Heavenly Sword preview as well as a review of God of War 2. Store date is March 14th.
Awesome, but I can't help but think we might lear alot more about those two games before EGM ships, GDC specifically.

Tieno

Wollan said:
Man if they got some footage for the 1up show for those two games, that'd be awesome.

Hunahan

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
Tekken 6 pushed back until 2008.
Wierd. I figured 08 would be Soul Calibur....

Mr. Spinnington said:
Mistwalker planning Blue Dragon 2, depedent on U.S. sales. A DS spin-off is also possible.
Awesome. Hope they think 500k sales is "good enough," because that's what I'd be predicting.

Mr. Spinnington said:
Mizuguchi working on a Space Channel 5 follow-up.
Wait...wut? Don't tease me like this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bad_Boy said:
Awesome, but I can't help but think we might lear alot more about those two games before EGM ships, GDC specifically.

It might hit subscribers just before GDC, maybe..? How far in advance to they typically get EGM?

I hope Sony releases some media on the web this year from GDC. I've a feeling they might not if they've tied their coverage up in magazine exclusives, though.

Lain

shidoshi said:
Since there are a few people in here interested in the game, I'll share a few more details. (Yeah, should probably be over in the official Valhalla Knights thread, but we're here already, so...)

When the game starts out, you choose your own sex and class. (Race, for you, is locked to Human.) At any time in the game, you can gain new teammates, up to five (for a total party of six). There are two types of possible NPC teammates: pre-created ones, and ones you create.

Pre-created ones can be gained for free after satisfying certain tasks or quests. For example, the first possible pre-created teammate you can get is a Dwarf (which, by the way, look nothing like Dwarves that we're used to) fighter, who you can put into your party for free after beating him in a duel as one of the early quests. The other way, and the way you'll have open to you much sooner, is by buying new characters. You can buy teammates from the guild, and the price each time is a step up from the previous time. When you purchase a teammate, you select their sex, race, starting class, and finally their name. Characters can be swapped in and out of your party through the Guild any time you want.

Characters can also, at any time, change their class. (Well, not ANY time - again, you have to go to the guild.) Each character has a level for every class, and that level determines what additional types of abilities you can do. For example, my favorite class type is the Paladin, so to get something along those lines, I started my character off as a Fighter, levelled up for a while, switched to being a Priest for a few levels, and then switched back, now having a Fighter that could cast some healing and cure type spells.

Also, the amount of experience you gain from fights changes depending on the overall level of your characters. So, if you have a level 10 Fighter, you can switch them to say a level 1 Mage, and the experience you gain from battles will greatly increase. For each level up, you get talent points that you can put into the character's various stats, so if you want to use that character mainly as a Fighter, you could do the class switch but then use each set of talent points for stats that would help as a Fighter.

In battle, characters other than the main character are AI controlled. (And, if you want, you can even switch your character over to AI control as well.) Each character has a Behavior option, where there are, if I recall correctly, six different stats. A character starts off with three points, which can then be distributed to one of the six stats, such as "Healing" or "Support," to skew how the character should act. As your character gains levels, they earn more points to be used in those different areas.

That sounds... hot!
Thanks again.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
gofreak said:
It might hit subscribers just before GDC, maybe..? How far in advance to they typically get EGM?

I hope Sony releases some media on the web this year from GDC. I've a feeling they might not if they've tied their coverage up in magazine exclusives, though.
I think its about 10 days in advanced, give or take. So your probably right on that.

If we do get video, I just hope it's better than last years footage. All they gotta do is let gamespot/IGN/1up film at GDC's keynotes and send out press releases and screens to the rest of the sites (the ones that dont specifically have weekly video shows). That would be good enough for me. Then again, does GDC even allow press to come? If so, then I do hope Sony does what you suggested.

Mr. Spinnington said:
Mistwalker planning Blue Dragon 2, depedent on U.S. sales. A DS spin-off is also possible.

Wipeout PS3 to hit in 2007, uses the MotorStorm engine.
Woah, those are some pretty big rumors. The thought of having Blue Dragon on the DS is very exciting.

And, Wipeout PS3....*drools*

B33

Banned

Good thing my local store puts their issues out a week early... Looking forward to a lot of things in the next issue.

Top Bottom