• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Football Discussion Thread - 2017 Season

reKon

Banned
I was forced to come out of retirement for this money league for a league that a bunch are my friends that I'm playing with. Looks like this year it's a a PPR league with three WR's.

In terms of draft strategy, I'm assuming that I'd obviously go RB first and then WR, WR, depending on if there happens to be a higher RB that than anticipated?

So:
1) RB
2) WR
3) WR/RB/TE (depending on if Gronk or a high value RB is available)
4) RB
5) WR/QB (depending on if I snag on of the top QBs in the same tier - this never happens because I play with idiots who draft QBs in the 1st/2nd round, lol)
6) QB

EDIT: looks like I'm last pick in a league of 10, so I'll get 2 in row.

Let me send a trade offer your way for Brate before you dump him to the wire.
Ah, you dumped Vereen instead. Well, I guess I can wait then. :)

Lol going to hang on to Brate as long as I can. Picked up Brate last year off of the waiver wire when Greg Olsen started to underperform for my team.

UberTag

I was forced to come out of retirement for this money league for a league that a bunch are my friends that I'm playing with. Looks like this year it's a a PPR league with three WR's.

In terms of draft strategy, I'm assuming that I'd obviously go RB first and then WR, WR, depending on if there happens to be a higher RB that than anticipated?

So:
1) RB
2) WR
3) WR/RB/TE (depending on if Gronk or a high value RB is available)
4) RB
5) WR/QB (depending on if I snag on of the top QBs in the same tier - this never happens because I play with idiots who draft QBs in the 1st/2nd round, lol)
6) QB

EDIT: looks like I'm last pick in a league of 10, so I'll get 2 in row.
Don't get too attached to a rigid positional draft order... outside of grabbing your kicker in the final round. You're far better off adjusting on the fly depending on what players fall your way and adjusting accordingly. I also don't think you should feel obligated to rush and grab a QB at all early in a shallow league with 10 owners. You're far better off waiting as late as possible. I only advocate grabbing a QB early in a really deep 14 or 16-team format.

Obviously, this philosophy also changes if it's a 2-QB league, a league where you can start a second QB from a superflex slot or leagues where you get 6 points per passing TD or have to circumvent something silly like a sack penalty. We had that stip in the No Quitters league for a few seasons and it made QBs with subpar offensive lines veritable death traps.

reKon

Banned
Don't get too attached to a rigid positional draft order... outside of grabbing your kicker in the final round. You're far better off adjusting on the fly depending on what players fall your way and adjusting accordingly. I also don't think you should feel obligated to rush and grab a QB at all early in a shallow league with 10 owners. You're far better off waiting as late as possible. I only advocate grabbing a QB early in a really deep 14 or 16-team format.

Obviously, this philosophy also changes if it's a 2-QB league, a league where you can start a second QB from a superflex slot or leagues where you get 6 points per passing TD or have to circumvent something silly like a sack penalty. We had that stip in the No Quitters league for a few seasons and it made QBs with subpar offensive lines veritable death traps.

Isn't there like three tiers of QBs?

There's your top 3 QBs and then the 2nd tier which is pretty big, and then goes down from there (3rd tier of w/e that will all give similar numbers). Anyways, I was able to grab Matt Ryan and Big Ben (pretty damn late). So in this case you were probably right. But I also filled all my positions with clear starting RB/WRs I think.

I'm known for being the guy will actually alternate my QBs depending on the match up and benefit greatly.

3qsl1oJ.png

PillarEN

Alright fantasy brehs. My team in half PPR, 12 team league:

QB: Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Todd Gurley, Ty Montgomery, Mark Ingram, Doug Martin
WR: Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Kelvin Benjamin, Randall Cobb, Ted Ginn Jr., Kenny Stills
TE: Zach Ertz, Eric Ebron
DEF: Giants
K: Janikowski

EDIT: I am slightly scared of how my running game is gonna pan out, but I'm feeling rather confident and given how you need to start 3 WR, I don't feel bad stacking up on that position cause injuries are going to happen. I can always use one of the QBs as a bargaining chip if something goes terribly wrong with the RB situation.

I like Brown a lot this year, ride him until he gets hurt.

Demarco was one of my targets last year and he rewarded me greatly. I am worried about him this year, with more age under his belt and D Henry coming on strong. Do what you can to trade for Henry.

Were you the last pick? Just curious because Jordy/Demarco was my plan for the league where I had 12/13. Ended up with Green/Freeman because the league I'm in is dumb.
I was like, 9th pick. Jordy was the best available, so even though I swear by RBs in the first I had to take him. Murray was my second, though.

And fuck, D.Free was the sixth pick in my league, I can't believe you got him in the second.

My biggest question isn't Murray, but Duke Johnson. Rumor has it that Hugh Jackson will play him in the slot, significantly upping his touches, but... lol Browns. Isaiah Crowell is a fucking stud even in that shithole.

finally did my 12 person ppr keeper draft tonight.

since i traded away alot of my high picks last year to make a run for the chip, i knew this year would be a down/rebuild year....anyways i'm not here to post my team, but to ask what your opinions are on a potential infraction of our rulebook by our commissioner.

I'm probably going to butcher the story, but try to follow....

so the commissioner is my best friend (C). I was over his house tonight to draft together on our laptops. his brother (B) is also in the league living elsewhere. now as the draft was going on C was constantly texting/chatting multiple people how about the draft and what not. general chatter....but slowly around midway through the draft i learn C is doing really shitty in his WR spots with no hope on the horizon. and he regrets taking cousins when he did. B had taken decker earlier in the draft where me and C both commented to each other how we liked him/wanted him....further on in the draft B called C and they briefly talk, I vaguely recall C prompting B with a trade of cousins for decker.... I forget what was said exactly, but they didnt speak long as C's turn came up while on the phone and hung up. now i didn't take much notice or care about the trade comment, until later in the draft I look at what positions every team had filled up with how many players.....and B hadn't yet taken a QB... when everyone else (sans one other player) already had 1-2 QBs...and then i realize... holy shit... they know they are going to trade, so B isn't using a higher pick on a QB, while C knows hes going to have to pick up another QB for himself (which hes okay with because there were plenty of talent left), but will be getting a solid WR already at a lower round value essentially.... anyways once i realized this I called him out on this bullshit. and he kept denying and playing it off like theres nothign wrong and blah blah blah... that its okay to try and trade then. and its not unfair

now i find a lot of things wrong with the scenario....but the number 1 thing is that we have a rule that only allows 1 off-season trade. so to me he broke that rule. by making an off the record unofficial verbal trade with his brother in the midst of an ongoing draft. ie before the season started. As soon as the draft was done, they officially signed off on a trade together via the website. now beside flipping out on him during the draft, I've already written him an email formally opposing the trade deal and said i want to bring it to the committee ( we have 2 annually elected chairs that sit below the commish to handle matters so things don't turn into a dictatorship)....

so yeah the trade goes through on thursday. and i know hes going to ignore my bitching about it. so i guess i'm going to have to email the committee myself tomorrow and cause a bigger scene? i just hate being that guy, even though i shit talk C alot in this league and complain over some things just to aggravate him for play (he can take it), but i think this is a clear cut rule break and collusion. and hes one for playing by the rules which pisses me off more. him and his brother quit a league or broke a table or somthing because of others colluding in one of their family leagues, so like i feel somewhat justified to be pissed.

:/

i hate to start the season out with drama, and in the end its not THAT big of a deal.... but it's the principle moreso to me. like fuck that shit.

thoughts?

Servbot24

Banned
Here's my first ever draft... no idea how I did lol

QB - Cam Newton, Andrew Luck
RB - David Johnson, Danny Woodhead, Mike Gillislee, Eddie Lacy, James White
WR - Michael Thomas, Alston Jeffrey, Golden Tate, Eric Decker, Kenny Britt
TE - Rob Gronkowski, Jack Doyle
D - Cardinals
K - Adam Vinatieri

Darkman M

Here's my first ever draft... no idea how I did lol

QB - Cam Newton, Andrew Luck
RB - David Johnson, Danny Woodhead, Mike Gillislee, Eddie Lacy, James White
WR - Michael Thomas, Alston Jeffrey, Golden Tate, Eric Decker, Kenny Britt
TE - Rob Gronkowski, Jack Doyle
D - Cardinals
K - Adam Vinatieri

8 Teamer I assume?

NateDrake

Forgot I had my draft until the last minute and ended up with this. Didn't see the news on Elliot until after the draft.

Qzp8vWP.png

finally did my 12 person ppr keeper draft tonight.

since i traded away alot of my high picks last year to make a run for the chip, i knew this year would be a down/rebuild year....anyways i'm not here to post my team, but to ask what your opinions are on a potential infraction of our rulebook by our commissioner.

I'm probably going to butcher the story, but try to follow....

so the commissioner is my best friend (C). I was over his house tonight to draft together on our laptops. his brother (B) is also in the league living elsewhere. now as the draft was going on C was constantly texting/chatting multiple people how about the draft and what not. general chatter....but slowly around midway through the draft i learn C is doing really shitty in his WR spots with no hope on the horizon. and he regrets taking cousins when he did. B had taken decker earlier in the draft where me and C both commented to each other how we liked him/wanted him....further on in the draft B called C and they briefly talk, I vaguely recall C prompting B with a trade of cousins for decker.... I forget what was said exactly, but they didnt speak long as C's turn came up while on the phone and hung up. now i didn't take much notice or care about the trade comment, until later in the draft I look at what positions every team had filled up with how many players.....and B hadn't yet taken a QB... when everyone else (sans one other player) already had 1-2 QBs...and then i realize... holy shit... they know they are going to trade, so B isn't using a higher pick on a QB, while C knows hes going to have to pick up another QB for himself (which hes okay with because there were plenty of talent left), but will be getting a solid WR already at a lower round value essentially.... anyways once i realized this I called him out on this bullshit. and he kept denying and playing it off like theres nothign wrong and blah blah blah... that its okay to try and trade then. and its not unfair

now i find a lot of things wrong with the scenario....but the number 1 thing is that we have a rule that only allows 1 off-season trade. so to me he broke that rule. by making an off the record unofficial verbal trade with his brother in the midst of an ongoing draft. ie before the season started. As soon as the draft was done, they officially signed off on a trade together via the website. now beside flipping out on him during the draft, I've already written him an email formally opposing the trade deal and said i want to bring it to the committee ( we have 2 annually elected chairs that sit below the commish to handle matters so things don't turn into a dictatorship)....

so yeah the trade goes through on thursday. and i know hes going to ignore my bitching about it. so i guess i'm going to have to email the committee myself tomorrow and cause a bigger scene? i just hate being that guy, even though i shit talk C alot in this league and complain over some things just to aggravate him for play (he can take it), but i think this is a clear cut rule break and collusion. and hes one for playing by the rules which pisses me off more. him and his brother quit a league or broke a table or somthing because of others colluding in one of their family leagues, so like i feel somewhat justified to be pissed.

:/

i hate to start the season out with drama, and in the end its not THAT big of a deal.... but it's the principle moreso to me. like fuck that shit.

thoughts?
Is it honestly the serious? Personally I don't really see a problem with what they did, since it's done all the time in actual drafts. Maybe you'd have a reason to argue if they already met their one off season trade limit or if the trade was terribly lopsided, but so far it seems like a non-issue imo

Is it honestly the serious? Personally I don't really see a problem with what they did, since it's done all the time in actual drafts. Maybe you'd have a reason to argue if they already met their one off season trade limit or if the trade was terribly lopsided, but so far it seems like a non-issue imo
Man I don't know - in my league that probably wouldn't be a problem but if they have established rules about off-season trading limits then what they're doing could be a violation. Also the way they surreptitiously went about it has a feel of impropriety .. although again in my league you can trade your picks and draft position and what not. The big difference being however that we're all together and everyone else can hear what's going on and knows how to react and prepare accordingly.

I think all in all what they did feels slimy but is probably ok (if it didn't break your off-season trade limit rule). But one thing is for sure - I'd keep a close eye on that commissioner and his brother for awhile.

gutshot

Rate my roster, GAF. 12 team, standard scoring, one flex spot.

QB: Winston, Stafford
RB: McCoy, Gurley, Powell, Blount, Prosise
WR: Hilton, Robinson, Crabtree, Garcon, Coleman
TE: Fleener
K: Janikowski
DEF: Carolina

With the exception of TE, I feel like I did pretty well (I was waiting to nab Hooper, but someone grabbed him as their backup TE before I could get him, oh well). Yahoo gave me a C grade though and projects me to finish 12th. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PillarEN

So instead of moving it to a neutral stadium they're gonna just give up their bye week? Seems foolish for both teams.

phanphare

Banned
yeah on one of my teams I've got ajayi, landry, doug martin, and quiz. martin's obviously suspended but all my other bench rbs were drafted behind him so they're probably gonna suck. rolling with jamaal williams and hoping he gets some goal line looks. expecting the worst.

I have Ajayi and all the potential replacements play in that damn game!

MY MISERY IS NOT FUNNY FLOYD

yeah on one of my teams I've got ajayi, landry, doug martin, and quiz. martin's obviously suspended but all my other bench rbs were drafted behind him so they're probably gonna suck. rolling with jamaal williams and hoping he gets some goal line looks. expecting the worst.

I have Ajayi too -_-

My options are jamaal williams as well..Perkins or D'onta Foreman. Suppose it'll be Perkins but not over confident about that.

bigosc2k

Banned
Here's my roster for my money league team.
Full point ppr league.
Qb Matt Stafford
Rb Christian McCafferey
Rb Marshawn Lynch
Wr AJ green (keeper)
Wr Julio Jones
Te Greg Olson
Flex Devante Adams
K Justin Tucker
Def New England

Bench
Wr Jarvis Landry
Qb Andrew Luck (put on ir)
Rb Eddie Lacy
Rb Darren Sproles
Te Jared cook
Te George Kittle
Wr Mike Williams
Wr Devon Funchess (put a claim on him for waiver wire)

My week 1 opponent has Ajayi and his RB depth is pretty meh after that so i should I have a fairy easy win.

10 teams, ppr

Your team is pretty solid as long as Gronk and Alshon stay healthy. I took a gamble on Gronk in one of my leagues too. He fell so far that I felt like I had no choice but to take him lol. I got him early in the 4th round of a 10 man league.

RBH

Jeremy Hill or Joe Mixon?

I'm forced to start one of them now that Jay Ajayi is not playing this week.

phanphare

Banned
I think Mixon is the guy actually. Unless I'm mistaken.

mixon is going to be the guy it's just when

don't the bengals make their rookies earn their role even if they're clearly going to be the guy going forward? he's listed 3rd on the depth chart right now for week 1

Mixon is third on the depth chart. I'm still debating whether to start him or Robert Kelly in my flex spot. Thoughts?

Also, just got an update that OBJ did some "light jogging" at practice today. Fingers crossed he actually starts....

Anyone that was expecting otherwise must not know Goddell. I'm just glad I own both McFadden and Elliott

I don't think McFadden is good handcuff. Personally I think it will be a toss up or possibly a mix of McFadden/Morris/Smith. McFadden didn't look great in the preseason.

Kakaroach

Here is my team in 10 team PPR:

Kirk Cousins
Leveon Bell
Isiah Crowell/Dalvin Cook
Brandin Cooks
Michael Thomas
Tyler Eifert
Keenan Allen/Tyrell Williams
Vikings Def

I think I made out pretty well. I need only one of Crow or Cook to be decent and I should be good to go. TE clearly my weakest position and I will probably lose that matchup most weeks but I'm ok with it for now. Thoughts?

Top Bottom