• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA warns Mexico over fans' anti-gay chant at Confederations Cup

Not sure why they weren't warned ahead of time as this is incredibly common in every Mexico match I've watched going back many many years. I don't want to condemn the entire country but I'm not sure what it will take for this to end.

The anti-gay abuse was heard during Mexico's opening game against Portugal in Kazan, Russia, on Sunday, despite FIFA warning on the eve of the tournament that there would be tighter monitoring of offensive incidents in stadiums.

FIFA says its disciplinary committee chairman Anin Yeboah "decided to impose a warning on the Mexican Football Federation for the misconduct of a small group of Mexican fans in relation to insulting and discriminatory chants."

Mexico fans direct the chant in question at opposition goalkeepers as they take goal kicks and first came under the international spotlight in Brazil 2014, when FIFA investigated it at the 2014 World Cup.

http://www.espnfc.us/mexico/story/3146193/fifa-warns-mexico-over-fans-anti-gay-chant-at-confederations-cup

inky

They were warned. People just don't give a shit.

And FIFA "let's give the World Cup to Russia and Qatar" has no leg to stand on anyway.

Irminsul

I always thought they shout "puto!", which for me was simply the male version of "puta". Not really nice, of course, but I didn't realise it has anti-gay connotations. Or are they shouting something differently?

(Disclaimer: I know about three Spanish words.)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
People just don't fucking understand.
No. Mexico's fan base needs to learn to respect their rivals. That crap is out of place at a stadium.

Next you'll tell me racial slurs are okay "in context" too.

they're just joining in on the spirit of the country they're playing in atm

for real though, homophobic slurs don't have a place in sports. there are many better things to yell at keepers

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I always thought they shout "puto!", which for me was simply the male version of "puta". Not really nice, of course, but I didn't realise it has anti-gay connotations. Or are they shouting something differently?

Equivalent to the f word in mexican spanish. Although I'm sure someone will argue that it isn't.

Puto has several meanings, FIFA just went with the anti gay one

So pls Mexico don't shout this on the anti gay country that we give the World Cup and we don't care about

Cess007

Shame. Mexico is far too religious sometimes.

uh? I don't think this has anything to do with religion

What did they chant?

"Puto". Something that translates as "Man whore". In some cases, it can also translate as "Fag/Faggot". However, there's the problem, the word has a lot of meaning, it can mean "asshole", "jackass" or even "coward" depending on the context.

That's why Mexicans are not taking the warning seriously, for some, it's not an anti-gay word/insult.

PSqueak

Banned
They were warned. People just don't give a shit.

And FIFA "let's give the World Cup to Russia and Qatar" has no leg to stand on anyway.

came to post this.

Has nothing to do with religion.

Altho it's wrong for them to use the word, the chant is not used in a homophobic context, altho the word is also slang for "faggot", the context it is used is more along the lines of "asshole".

Not excusing the use of the word, it shouldn't be used, but just wanted to point out as a mexican that religion has nothing to do with it and the homophobia is just incidental.

Alienfan

"Puto". Something that translated as "Man whore". In some cases, it can also translate as "Fag/Faggot". However, there's the problem, the word has a lot of meaning, it can means "asshole" or even "coward" depending on the context.

That's why Mexicans are not taking the warning seriously, for some, it's not an anti-gay word/insult.

That just sounds like the same argument people use to justify saying faggot

"Puto". Something that translated as "Man whore". In some cases, it can also translate as "Fag/Faggot". However, there's the problem, the word has a lot of meaning, it can mean "asshole", "jackass" or even "coward" depending on the context.

I mean, in that case Mexican fans who do this should endeavor to respect the fact that they're in an international competition and that these things can translate as a slur.

Irnbru

"Puto". Something that translated as "Man whore". In some cases, it can also translate as "Fag/Faggot". However, there's the problem, the word has a lot of meaning, it can means "asshole" or even "coward" depending on the context.

Yeah, jhoto was the word for gay insult that was used. Puto just meant like asshole or fucker when I grew up, it wasn't until last World Cup I learned it could be used as a homosexual insult! Last time they told them to stop they only got louder in the Brazil World Cup lmao

Nephtis

It's not even that. Most of the Catholics there are in name only - sure, they go to church... Then proceed to shit on their beliefs for the whole week until it's mass time. Then they go in and somehow think it makes all their transgressions forgiven.

Us Mexicans have some really fucked up views sometimes.

Also, the word "puto" can be used as a homosexual slur, but a lot of people don't use it with that in mind. Maybe it's only in the northern part of Mexico (where I'm from), but when it's used to describe a gay person, the word is used in a very specific way. Other than that, the insult is mostly detached from that meaning, if it makes sense. Mexicans just like to cuss. Like, a lot. It's as if we can't say a sentence without including the words "chingado", "chinga a tu madre", "verga", "cabron", "puto", etc.

Jezan

Puto has meaning meanings all offensive it really depends on how it is said. Though I would love they stop shouting that at any event of these magnitude, but then again , it's Mexico , too proud to listen , too coward and butthurt to learn.

This applies to most of Latin America, unfortunately. The LGBT community struggles with worse things everyday. Many of these slurs have become a part of the everyday language, and calling someone marica, puto, or similar slurs, is so normal no one even flinches anymore.

Puto could be roughly translated as faggot. Imagine a stadium filled with people, screaming at the top of their lungs "FAAAGGOOOT!" every time the goal keeper clears the ball. It's terrible.

"Puto". Something that translated as "Man whore". In some cases, it can also translate as "Fag/Faggot". However, there's the problem, the word has a lot of meaning, it can mean "asshole", "jackass" or even "coward" depending on the context.

Interesting. I had always thought that word was closer to asshole or bitch than anything anti-gay. Maricon was the word I was taught to resemble "faggot"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Don't worry everyone this word only counts as a gay slur sometimes. The rest of the time its means all other kinds of negative things but not against gay people.

Nephtis

Yeah, jhoto was the word for gay insult that was used. Puto just meant like asshole or fucker when I grew up, it wasn't until last World Cup I learned it could be used as a homosexual insult! Last time they told them to stop they only got louder in the Brazil World Cup lmao

Yeah, most people say "joto", "maricon", or "puñal". Puto is rarely used as a gay slur nowdays.

Don't worry everyone this word only counts as a gay slur sometimes. The rest of the time its means all other kinds of negative things but not against gay people.

Hahaha, yeah there's no positive with it.

Actually Spanish is the filthiest fucking language I've ever heard. The things they say make even me blush.

Yeah that sounds like Mexico alright.
I used to go every summer and even lived there for a couple of years when I was a kid. The homophobia is strong as hell over there. There's no shame involved either. It's "normal" over there.

This is far from being FIFA's first warning. Another warning will do jack and shit to stop this.

Also as a Mexican is my duty to clarify that "puto" has many different meanings. One of them can be interpreted as an homophobic slur but I don't think this is the case here. Fact is FIFA thinks it is and that's all it takes. We should stop using it and there are ways but a simple warning and monetary fines to the Mexican Federation will go nowhere.

It can mean other things. Puto is also used to describe a man that sleeps around, a player, if you want to call it that. But in this context, I highly doubt they'd be calling the GK a player.

Problem is, as I said before, many of these slurs have become so commonplace, they've been detached from any meaning. This is why many people in this thread are defending it. It should not be defended or embraced, in fact, societies should pay more attention to what they say, so as to stop alienating certain groups.

Again, this is not an issue exclusive to Mexico. Countries like Colombia use "marica" to refer to friends, which is a slur, but again, has become so detached from its original meaning people like to throw the word around.

PSqueak

Banned
Interesting. I had always thought that word was closer to asshole or bitch than anything anti-gay. Maricon was the word I was taught to resemble "faggot"

Well the thing is we use most cuss words as wildcards.

Marica/maricón is closer to Sissy than anything, but people also use it as a stand in for faggot or coward.

Joto is straight up calling someone a faggot, but it's consideren a lesser cuss word, your mom would still shove a bar of soap in your mouth for saying it, but they allow things like adult tv shows say it.

Puto is a wild card cuss word, yes one of those meanings is faggot, but it's also Asshole, Coward, Fucker, etc. It also can be used like "fuck" in english, if you say "Bajate del puto carro" it translates to "Get off the fucking car", obviously you can't call a car "faggot".

Cabron is another wild card cuss word which can mean Badass, Asshole or "fucking scammer" depending how you use it. It also can be used to describe something as "fucking hard" to do.

The problem is mexicans really fucking love to cuss so cuss words usually take many meanings and sometimes they slap the faggot meaning in them.

So yes, the word can be homophobic, yes mexicans should stop saying it, but still, Fifa is bein disingenious over it.

Always thought it meant prostitute like "pute" in french.

Technically speaking, it means man-whore, but absolutely no person uses it like that. instead the go to man-whore word is "Golfo".

Cess007

That just sounds like the same argument people use to justify saying faggot

I mean, you can read here that the word has a lot of meaning. I'm not excusing the use of the word, but commenting why Mexicans are ignoring the warnings:

Really? At least to Spanish from my experience, that has a million meanings in context.

I would have thought it ment Whore/Asshole. I'm more familiar with puta though. Would have to ask my friends.

Yeah, Maricon or Joto are more anti-gay slurs than Puto; however, there's undeniable that the word also can be used as a gay slur.

I mean, in that case Mexican fans who do this should endeavor to respect the fact that they're in an international competition and that these things can translate as a slur.

On this I agree. Personally, I wish people simple choose another word. I was hoping people started chanting "Trump" on the match against US :D

7Th

Equivalent to the f word in mexican spanish. Although I'm sure someone will argue that it isn't.

It's actually worse than "fag/faggot" but it has less homophobic connotations, its use in what is supposed to be a family-friendly environment is definitely completely classless, though; "joto,", "marica" or "maricon" is closer to "fag/faggot".

came to post this.

Has nothing to do with religion.

Altho it's wrong for them to use the word, the chant is not used in a homophobic context, altho the word is also slang for "faggot", the context it is used is more along the lines of "asshole".

Not excusing the use of the word, it shouldn't be used, but just wanted to point out as a mexican that religion has nothing to do with it and the homophobia is just incidental.

Yeah this. It has absolutely nothing to do with religion the word is just a lot on a daily basis between friends etc and it means "asshole" or "don't be a dick" it's a crude slang word and yeah it can be homophobic but it's hardly ever used as such and if you told people that use it on a daily basis it was a homophobic word they would probably be surprised. If Mexicans wanted to call you a homophobic slur believe me they have some real harsh terms with that get right to the point.

AlexBasch

Yep. Even in the Mexican dub of Gears of War 4, Marcus sometimes says "Te puedes quitar de mi puto camino por favor?" (Can you please move the fuck out of my way) when you do "friendly fire" in multiplayer.

I do agree that the word shouldn't be used at stadiums at all though.

Well the thing is we use most cuss words as wildcards.

Marica/maricón is closer to Sissy than anything, but people also use it as a stand in for faggot or coward.

Joto is straight up calling someone a faggot, but it's consideren a lesser cuss word, your mom would still shove a bar of soap in your mouth for saying it, but they allow things like adult tv shows say it.

Puto is a wild card cuss word, yes one of those meanings is faggot, but it's also Asshole, Coward, Fucker, etc. It also can be used like "fuck" in english, if you say "Bajate del puto carro" it translates to "Get off the fucking car", obviously you can't call a car "faggot".

Cabron is another wild card cuss word which can mean Badass, Asshole or "fucking scammer" depending how you use it.

The problem is mexicans really fucking love to cuss so cuss words usually take many meanings and sometimes they slap the faggot meaning in them.

So yes, the word can be homophobic, yes mexicans should stop saying it, but still, Fifa is bein disingenious over it.

Technically speaking, it means man-whore, but absolutely no person uses it like that. instead the go to man-whore word is "Golfo".

And let's not start on all the meanings of "madre"

Kinyou

Discouraging the fans from directly insulting the players sounds like a good idea anyway, no matter if the fans use it as a gay slur or not.

A.Romero

As a Mexican I thought to share some insight on our culture.

While I don't condone the use of slurs of any kind, Mexicans tend to be very insensitive to political correctness. In many ways, people say this kind of stuff without the intention to offend or anything.

People call each other names all the time. Among friends, calling each other puto is something very common. Actually, in Mexican culture there is a lot of wordplay, called "albur". Something similar to puns but much more offensive and it's a game that even children play. It's very common among man and normally uses rimes to imply that one man would fuck the other. It's used daily in all kind of environments and it's very deep rooted in our culture.

While I understand that the rest of the world doesn't seem this kind of stuff the same way as us, believe me when I tell you that most people don't do it with the intention of actually offending anyone.

That said, I really doubt the FIFA will actually be able to change anything.

"Puto" is definitively "Faggot", and it is its main definition. Yes, it can mean "asshole" or "coward", and any number of words, but it's basically "you're a faggot, therefore, you're an coward". Saying "No seas puto" to mean "don't be a coward", is very similar to saying "Don't be a pussy".

"Maricon" is closer to "crybaby", but it can mean "sissy" too.

Top Bottom