• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA warns Mexico over fans' anti-gay chant at Confederations Cup

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It can mean other things. Puto is also used to describe a man that sleeps around, a player, if you want to call it that. But in this context, I highly doubt they'd be calling the GK a player.

Problem is, as I said before, many of these slurs have become so commonplace, they've been detached from any meaning. This is why many people in this thread are defending it. It should not be defended or embraced, in fact, societies should pay more attention to what they say, so as to stop alienating certain groups.

Again, this is not an issue exclusive to Mexico. Countries like Colombia use "marica" to refer to friends, which is a slur, but again, has become so detached from its original meaning people like to throw the word around.

I'm pretty sure my post acknowledged all of this in a sarcastic manner.

PSqueak

Banned
Faggot means a bundle of sticks or a cigarette in the U.K. See what I did there.

I dunno why you intend to be so antagonic of mexico over this, but you gotta understand a few things:

-People in here are acknowledging that the chant is wrong
-People are acknowledging that the use of the word can be homophobic
-Despite that, people are contextualizing the chant, not excusing it, but putting cultural context
-Fifa is right to demand people to stop the chant
-Fifa is wrong to contextualize it as a homophobic chant
-Fifa is being EXTREMELY hypocritical to try to frame the penalty against mexico as trying to be gay friendly when the upcoming world cup and the next after it were awarded to 2 incredibly homophobic countries where the government is routinely killing people for being gay
-As a mexican i have always been ashamed about that behavior by soccer fans, but im also bothered by Fifa's gigantic hypocrisy.

Sai-kun

Banned
lmao i literally just had this discussion with some fuckboy over the weekend, and he didn't have shit to say except that yknow some people really just like to chant what they chant and it's okay because it's all just a game!

7Th

"Puto" is definitively "Faggot", and it is its main definition. Yes, it can mean "asshole" or "coward", and any number of words, but it's basically "you're a faggot, therefore, you're an coward". Saying "No seas puto" to mean "don't be a coward", is very similar to saying "Don't be a pussy".

"Maricon" is closer to "crybaby", but it can mean "sissy" too.

In the dictionary, "maricón" and "marica" officially mean "faggot".

v1lla21

They are not gonna stop since the overwhelming majority don't see the word as homophobic and they also don't care.

Discouraging the fans from directly insulting the players sounds like a good idea anyway, no matter if the fans use it as a gay slur or not.
Also this. It's just stupid.

faggot means 1 thing

puto can mean a lot of different things

it is not the same, FIFA is just creating drama
Faggot means a couple of things, but what do you think it means when someone calls it another person? Now what do you think they are chanting puto for in this case? It means one of the many other unrelated things you claim ir does - or it's an insult to the other team/players? If it's insult, then what is that insult usually - it's either a gay slur or a sexist slur (or both) or racial because that's the moronic culture of teamsports, especially football.

Come on, we're just at the very beginning of wiping out this shit from sports. We still have black players having banana skins thrown at them for fuck sake. No one expects this to be stamped out over night, but you have start doing something to show people that it's not OK and never was.

I dunno why you intend to be so antagonic of mexico over this, but you gotta understand a few things:

-Despite that, people are contextualizing the chant, not excusing it, but putting cultural context
-Fifa is being EXTREMELY hypocritical to try to frame the penalty against mexico as trying to be gay friendly when the upcoming world cup and the next after it were awarded to 2 incredibly homophobic countries where the government is routinely killing people for being gay
-As a mexican i have always been ashamed about that behavior by soccer fans, but im also bothered by Fifa's gigantic hypocrisy.
I'm only talking about people who are excusing it.

azyless

Discouraging the fans from directly insulting the players sounds like a good idea anyway, no matter if the fans use it as a gay slur or not.
Insulting and taunting goalkeepers as they kick the ball is incredibly common pretty much everywhere.

Cool, I assume they will do this in Russia and Qatar too.
There won't be any gays to insult since Qatari officials told us to stay home ! (they frankly didn't even need to tell me)
FIFA's own president joked about how gay people should probably "refrain from sexual activity" while there.
They don't give a shit as long as it gets money in their pockets.

Cess007

Yeah, pretty much this. We know the word is an insult, but we disagree that the chant it's done as an homophobic attack. And that's that, most of us wish that people at stadiums stops using the chants.

smurfx

get some go again
so what's the worst that fifa can do to mexico anyway? the fans sure as hell are not going to stop and will probably get louder the more threats they get.

As a Mexican I thought to share some insight on our culture.

While I don't condone the use of slurs of any kind, Mexicans tend to be very insensitive to political correctness. In many ways, people say this kind of stuff without the intention to offend or anything.

People call each other names all the time. Among friends, calling each other puto is something very common. Actually, in Mexican culture there is a lot of wordplay, called "albur". Something similar to puns but much more offensive and it's a game that even children play. It's very common among man and normally uses rimes to imply that one man would fuck the other. It's used daily in all kind of environments and it's very deep rooted in our culture.

While I understand that the rest of the world doesn't seem this kind of stuff the same way as us, believe me when I tell you that most people don't do it with the intention of actually offending anyone.

That said, I really doubt the FIFA will actually be able to change anything.
This is the same old excuse people have used forever when defending the use of phrases like "that is so gay!" -- "It's not an insult, it's just words, they're not ACTUALLY saying that thing is gay blah, blah, blah" - No, they are just saying something is bad/garbage/useless/shit/pathetic and the way they are communicating that is to compare it to homosexual men (mostly). This has been explained a million times, don't use "culture" as an excuse.

azyless

"Puto" is definitively "Faggot", and it is its main definition. Yes, it can mean "asshole" or "coward", and any number of words, but it's basically "you're a faggot, therefore, you're an coward". Saying "No seas puto" to mean "don't be a coward", is very similar to saying "Don't be a pussy".

"Maricon" is closer to "crybaby", but it can mean "sissy" too.
Thanks for this. We have very similar words here in french and straight people also try to defend their use all the time by saying "it has several meanings!" when in fact it just associates being gay with pejorative words.

so what's the worst that fifa can do to mexico anyway? the fans sure as hell are not going to stop and will probably get louder the more threats they get.
They're FIFA, they could do anything they want. It'll just be meaningless fines and maybe a couple of games without supporters though.

Eila

In a match if the ref hears it he will warn the fans, if he hears it again he will stop the game until the fans calm down, third time the ref can stop the match for good and just leave.

Its for sure going to get louder by FIFA focusing in on this chant and making fans aware of what others believe they mean by it, "faggot", instead "asshole", "dickhead", they are now going to get louder and nastier with the chant. They opened up and even bigger can of worms.

I find it incredibly ironic and disingenuous that FIFA is scolding us for the use of what they consider a homophobic slur while holding a tournament in RUSSIA!

I mean c'mon! I'm not defending Mexican fans here but FIFA's such a joke!

uh? I don't think this has anything to do with religion

"Puto". Something that translates as "Man whore". In some cases, it can also translate as "Fag/Faggot". However, there's the problem, the word has a lot of meaning, it can mean "asshole", "jackass" or even "coward" depending on the context.

That's why Mexicans are not taking the warning seriously, for some, it's not an anti-gay word/insult.

Haha nope. NOPE. Is anti gay. And that's precisely why these micro machitos are using it. They know exactly what the word entails. They just happen to be majorly heterosexual so they think they get to decide what the word means, even when most them know PUTO is always related to its "homosexual" connotations. "You are a coward because you sleep with men, you are a jackass because you sleep with men".

Puto means homosexual. End of it. Maybe you don't get it because you don't get yelled "pinche puto" while walking on the streets holding hands with your partner.

I find it incredibly ironic and disingenuous that FIFA is scolding us for the use of what they consider a homophobic slur while holding a tournament in RUSSIA!

I mean c'mon! I'm not defending Mexican fans here but FIFA's such a joke!

I think they know there is heat on them for choosing some real shitty countries to hold the tournaments in and so they want to look like they are doing something about it so pick on Mexico rather than the Host country that's kidnapping and killing gay men.

lord

I'm 92% certain this chant would not be a thing if it wasn't for Molotov's song which is 100% homophobic. I do hope the team gets banned the fuck out of the tourney so that the fans learn. I hate soccer and its fandom for many reasons so yeah I hope they get what's coming to them.

PSqueak

Banned
I think they know there is heat on them for choosing some real shitty countries to hold the tournaments in and so they want to look like they are doing something about it so pick on Mexico rather than the Host country that's kidnapping and killing gay men.

Basically this is why Mexico GAF is bothered about the whole issue.

The chant is undeniably wrong, but we see fucking Russia and Qatar and our instant reaction is "hey WTF, what gives?!"

I'm 92% certain this chant would not be a thing if it wasn't for Molotov's song which is 100% homophobic. I do hope the team gets banned the fuck out of the tourney so that the fans learn. I hate soccer and its fandom for many reasons so yeah I hope they get what's coming to them.

Undoubtedly. I do blame Molotov for making the word usage spread more than it would have organically.

lord

Basically this is why Mexico GAF is bothered about the whole issue.

The chant is undeniably wrong, but we see fucking Russia and Qatar and our instant reaction is "hey WTF, what gives?!"
So what? That FIFA is a hypocritical corrupt cesspool does not make it not an issue. Fix it instead of going but what about them?

Not sure why they weren't warned ahead of time as this is incredibly common in every Mexico match I've watched going back many many years. I don't want to condemn the entire country but I'm not sure what it will take for this to end.

http://www.espnfc.us/mexico/story/3146193/fifa-warns-mexico-over-fans-anti-gay-chant-at-confederations-cup

- Do not allow any Mexican organized fan clubs to get in any sanctioned game worldwide for x amount of games (i.e the US has the American Outlaws that follow the US around, I'm sure there are similar groups that follow the MX team)
- Anybody, or group of people, caught chanting racist/homophobic crap in the games and/or throwing bottles and piss at players get thrown out immediately and receive a ban from future games for x amount of games
- No official or friendly games at Azteca or Mexico for a year. Mexico would play its WC qualifying games in the US with the same two rules above still in place.

I think that would go a long way towards changing and removing that trend.

jts

...hate me...
What's with all the "so what, it's in Russia" comments?

It's in Russia so it's open season on homophobia and racism?

PSqueak

Banned
So what? That FIFA is a hypocritical corrupt cesspool does not make it not an issue. Fix it instead of going but what about them?

But that's the point, Mexico should stop, i never liked the chant myself.

But how the fuck will mexicans who like to shout it take fifa seriously if Fifa fucking does not care about Russia and Quatar literally killing gay people?

Ideally, Mexico would get the disqualified the fuck out of the world cup and neither Russia nor Qatar would host it.

Nephtis

I think that sanctioning the Mexican team will do little to dissuade people from chanting puto. I mean, you just get swept up by the atmosphere and you end up using it too. I know I have.

Mexicans spend so much money into everything futbol related that I'm sure that's why FIFA is often willing to turn the other way and are happy to simply keep giving out warnings.

Now, if you did something that actually interrupted the game every time they say it, like a 2 minute timeout or give the opposing team a free kick or something... Mexicans would change their ways and never utter the word again lol

but that aint gonna happen :x

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If the p word can be considered an homophobic phrase, then also can the word 'sucks', imho. Anyway, is a stupid chant where I don't know where it came from.

azyless

I think that sanctioning the Mexican team will do little to dissuade people from chanting puto.
What kind of excuse is this ? I've been a season ticket holder at my club for about 20 years and I've never chanted homophobic or racist slurs, I must be doing things wrong.
Gay people must feel really comfortable coming to your team's games.

But that's the point, Mexico should stop, i never liked the chant myself.

But how the fuck will mexicans who like to shout it take fifa seriously if Fifa fucking does not care about Russia and Quatar literally killing gay people?

Ideally, Mexico would get the disqualified the fuck out of the world cup and neither Russia nor Qatar would host it.

That would certainly fix it. Other people are right though, FIFA would have to stop being corrupt first.

I think that sanctioning the Mexican team will do little to dissuade people from chanting puto. I mean, you just get swept up by the atmosphere and you end up using it too. I know I have.

Mexicans spend so much money into everything futbol related that I'm sure that's why FIFA is often willing to turn the other way and are happy to simply keep giving out warnings.

Now, if you did something that actually interrupted the game every time they say it, like a 2 minute timeout or give the opposing team a free kick or something... Mexicans would change their ways and never utter the word again lol

but that aint gonna happen :x

After sanctions, people will definitely be more careful because if it starts again, you get sanctioned again. People wanna go to soccer matches, taking that away from them will make them, and you as you have admitted, behave.

PSqueak

Banned
I think that sanctioning the Mexican team will do little to dissuade people from chanting puto.

If mexico got disqualified for it, you bet yer rump people will stop saying it.

There would be an outrage at first, followed by a millionaire campaing on tv by local teams to stamp out the chant and constant remainders that mexico was and could again be disqualified for it.

RocknRola

Really? "Puto"? In Portuguese (from Portugal, not sure about the other variations) that means......................."kid". Literally. Male, young kid in fact.

Now "puta", that's the "classical" meaning you'd assume it is.

tuxfool

Banned
The funny thing is that using that slur against the Portuguese would mean nothing.

In Portuguese "Puto" is the equivalent of "Kid". Now "Puta" on the other hand...

e: echo

Astral Dog

Really? "Puto"? In Portuguese (from Portugal, not sure about the other variations) that means......................."kid". Literally. Male, young kid in fact.

Now "puta", that's the "classical" meaning you'd assume it is.
Puto means something like faggot when its used on a guy other wise its Joto

Is ironic that they are doing that while the games are being played in a country with "anti-gay propaganda" laws and the next one is in fucking Qatar of all places. You just know FIFA really cares about being welcoming to gay people

Coolluck

See I didn't know the word had homophobic meanings. For us, growing up it basically meant asshole. The homophobic slurs have already been mentioned in this thread. If it's being used in that context, then yeah, strike it down. But it seems disingenuous to say the word only has one meaning when it seems to be regional.

tuxfool

Banned
Is ironic that they are doing that while the games are being played in a country with "anti-gay propaganda" laws and the next one is in fucking Qatar of all places. You just know FIFA really cares about being welcoming to gay people

They care, they just care about money above all else.

PSqueak

Banned
Mexico is very homophobic, at least things are slowly getting slightly better here with the rise of the internet

It's really weird to witness, like Homosexuality is significantly more accepted now, but like people still talk with all the homophobic slurs.

So you get weird things like a few years ago when my very openly gay boss used the word indiscriminately as if it was nothing.

Point being that having watched the game, I didn't even make the connection. Being Portuguese and all.

Apologies if my post somehow angered you. Just thought it was a curious thing, nothing else.

It didn't anger me. I just thought you were downplaying the homophobic chant because puto means something different in Portugal than it does in Mexico.

RocknRola

Just change the insult. We say "hijo de puta" in my country and it sounds just as good.

That's the one used in Portugal too. The League gets a looooooooooooooooooooooooottttttttt of money just on fines from that. Since they're cumulative, by the end of the season just for that single chant clubes can be paying upwards of €20k per game. Then you add all the other stuff that may or may not happen.

Alas, they never do anything other than that to stop it either (closed door matches, for example, are reserved for more "serious" things, like physical violence of some type).

v1lla21

Sanctions will work though. Start having closed door matches and getting rid of people and it will slowly start to fade away. Teams and the league don't do much to stop it anyways besides a slogan in Mexico.

Top Bottom